Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aegislash definetly should not be banned... for now. Just as it was in Gen VI, where its broken qualities only surfaced until the extremely broken threats were removed. Only then we'll see if it's still too much for OU.

Last edited:
Do you really think a pokemon not being able to switch into an offensive mon they have a type weakness to is a sign that it must be balanced?
You're missing the point. The point is that A-Marowak is a part of the meta. Being a part of the meta, it makes Aegislash that much weaker in the meta. Yes? One less pokemon it can switch into, one less pokemon it can stay in against.

Callmeyeshua There's no need to resort to gimmicky stuff like that or Assault Vest A-Marowak to counter Aegislash. Besides, (a) Brutal Swing is a contact move, (b) if you're going to run a Dark move on M-Scizor, Knock Off provides so much more utility.

On another note, Bloom Doom Heatran is a thing and it's actually pretty scary...just watched Tapu Fini get one-shot on the switch.

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z/Fairium Z/Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam/Hidden Power Ice

CM Tapu Koko is an absolute beast right now, and it can clean through a lot of teams that aren't prepared to deal with it. My personally preferred set is the Farium Z D Gleam set because it can bust through normal Tapu Koko counters like Alolan Wak after they get worn down a bit, and it can OHKO Zygarde with Twinkle Tackle at +1, but Electrium Z can also be used to do some insane shit like doing 61% min to Ferro with +1 Gigavolt Havoc, but it's frankly more of a nuking novelty than an effective set imo. CM Tapu can not only eat through offensive teams at +1, but it can also boost past the capabilities of defensive teams being able to deal with it bar teams that pack unaware fable, which is really easy to lure in/wear down regardless. This is a really fun set that I recommend you try it out, especially after Pheramosa gets the boot from the tier.

You're missing the point. The point is that A-Marowak is a part of the meta. Being a part of the meta, it makes Aegislash that much weaker in the meta. Yes? One less pokemon it can switch into, one less pokemon it can stay in against.

Callmeyeshua There's no need to resort to gimmicky stuff like that or Assault Vest A-Marowak to counter Aegislash.

On another note, Bloom Doom Heatran is a thing and it's actually pretty scary...just watched Tapu Fini get one-shot on the switch.
Isnt Lefties Sdef Marowak better?

X5Dragon I haven't seen many successful Conkeldurr since 5th gen...introduction of Fairy really hurt it. Where are you seeing it shine?
Well it has enough bulk to scare of the Hail slushers while at the same time packing Poison Jab if they decide to switch in Alola Ninetales, but I was just naming stuff that might have a use that's all :)

Well it has enough bulk to scare of the Hail slushers while at the same time packing Poison Jab if they decide to switch in Alola Ninetales, but I was just naming stuff that might have a use that's all :)
Let me know if you come across a good Golisopod set/team. I rely on you and Jaroda ...

Bar Koko, the tapus definitely aren't broken. Koko might be, but we won't really be able to tell until things like Phero, Aegis, and Zygarde are gone. For example, Decidueye sits on any Koko that doesn't carry brave bird, but you aren't going to see that in a meta full of aegislash. Genesect is very easy to play around. Lando-I, im really not sure on yet. I'll need to get to know it better.

And to the two who completely misunderstood my previous post, I'm not saying aegislash is some massive, game winning threat. Im saying it is too hard to get around. It brings a screeching halt to most offensives in the meta, slowing the game down dramatically. It checks to much. It easily covers what you would normally need two walls to deal with, forcing you to have to build around it 99% of the time. It's very centralizing to the meta.

Last edited:
Let me know if you come across a good Golisopod set/team. I rely on you and Jaroda ...
The only way I've seen golisopod used really effectively is banded hit-and-run. Come in, use First Impression, switch out. Or get forced out by your ability after you get hit. It's crazy powerful as far as 'chip' damage goes.

edit - I would guess something like this? Based on it's ability and 2 good priority moves, I can't imagine how else it can be utilized.

Golisopod @ Choice Band
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab/Rock Slide

and @below, tru

Last edited:
The only way I've seen golisopod used really effectively is banded hit-and-run. Come in, use First Impression, switch out. Or get forced out by your ability after you get hit. It's crazy powerful as far as 'chip' damage goes.
The only problem I see with this is that rocky helmet Toxapex shuts it down hard. Switch into the move, get helmet damage, switch out as you switch out getting all the health back thanks to regen.

Speaking of Toxapex, I've been running Baneful Bunker/Toxic/Haze/Scald pretty effectively. Im pretty sure there are match ups I've lost that I could have won with recover, but at the same time, I've stopped quite a few sweeps dead with haze and stolen all the momentum.

Callmeyeshua There's no need to resort to gimmicky stuff like that or Assault Vest A-Marowak to counter Aegislash. Besides, (a) Brutal Swing is a contact move, (b) if you're going to run a Dark move on M-Scizor, Knock Off provides so much more utility
A-Marowak can't switch into Aegislash either...not sure what your logic is. Also A-Maro is rock weak so it doesn't take much prior damage for it to be in shadow sneak range.

Aegislash definetly should not be banned... for now. Just as it was in Gen VI, where its broken qualities only surfaced until the extremely broken threats were removed. Only then we'll see if it's still too much for OU.
But the problem is that its broken qualities have already surfaced. If anything, Aegislash is still way worse than in Gen VI due to the King's Shield buff. It's still a polarizing, overcentralizing Pokémon that, going by its specifics, by virtue stagnates any and all metagame prowess.

I'm normally not a banhappy person, but I'd rather see Aegislash leave right away along with everything it keeps in check. Every goddamn battle is a trial that revolves around getting the opposing Aegislash down, and you need at least two Pokémon to even check the thing. And let's be honest here: a blanket counter to a large amount of Pokémon is by definition unhealthy as fuck for a metagame.

Callmeyeshua There's no need to resort to gimmicky stuff like that or Assault Vest A-Marowak to counter Aegislash. Besides, (a) Brutal Swing is a contact move, (b) if you're going to run a Dark move on M-Scizor, Knock Off provides so much more utility.

scizor doesn't get knock off yet :(

The issue, as I see it, with Aegislash isn't that it's broken or overpowered necessarily. The problem is that it's centralizing. Yes, there are checks and even counters to it. But in order for your team to be viable you have to run Aegi and/or its checks. If a pokemon is so good that the entire meta revolves around it, then it doesn't belong in that meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)