Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I’m just gonna start off by saying I’m very disappointed that no one gave me 5 mons they think should go. We’ll look past it though.
What if we don't have 5 mons specifically? Why does it have to be 5?

My top 2 that I wanted banned from DLC2 were Roaring Moon and Gouging Fire. Roaring Moon is still my #1 ban choice. There is really no reason why I can see that a mon that is as good a sweeper, wallbreaker, and all around progress maker all at once can somehow not be broken at that speed tier. The other Tera forms like Fairy are underexplored, also. Gouging Fire has fallen off somewhat. I still think that mon is a bit BS, but I'm not exactly pushing it now.

Kyurem is probably the next closest to be broken in my eyes. I currently have it as borderline, but if the thing starts abusing something else like Body Press to start handling Blissey or something, I'm gonna change it right to #2. It's not there for me yet.

Waterpon was one of the two I most wanted to see banned in the last DLC alongside the majorly fallen off Manaphy. Both are not what they were in DLC1, but Waterpon is still a bit of a monster. The speed tier isn't particularly great. There are a lot of good Grass and Dragon types in the meta that resist both Wellspring's STABs, making it easier to play around. Waterpon also has 4MSS since it cannot fit all of Swords Dance, Play Rough, Trailblaze, and Encore/Taunt in its sets. Slow, bulky teams hate Wellspring;'s wallbreaking ability, but that's all it is. It's a wallbreaker. I feel like any team with decent speed control can play around it. I wouldn't necesarrily be opposed to it going, but it's not in my top 3 most broken.

Gambit is I guess an interesting question because of Tera. There is a case to be made that Tera could put it over the edge. That's about all I will say at this point. We all know what it does. I'm not really pro ban so much as I am open minded to it.

Of all the true borderline threats discussed regularly in DLC2, the only one I truly don't want banned is Raging Bolt for its good qualities. And most people seem to have adapted to it. I guess Zamazenta might qualify now as a borderline threat, but like, how hard is it to make a team with Body Press resists? Flying types in particular are very common. I just don't think it's particularly broken. Both are good glue mons, which isn't really a reason to keep them if they are truly broken, but I really don't think they actually are. They both probably stay off my ban list.

I've seen occasional mentions of red herrings for the hazard issue like Gliscor and Gholdengo. If any one mon should go because of hazards, and I don't think any should, it would need to be Hamurott for the way it abuses Spikes while attacking with an ability buffed damage move. But let's be honest, Spikes was the real issue in DLC1 and maybe even now.

So if I had to choose 5?

I guess I would go Roaring Moon, Gouging Fire, Kyurem, Wellspring, and Gambit in that order?

But I do not necesarrily want to ban 5. And I'm not sure the order wouldn't change again depending on how things go.

Last edited:
spreading more positivity while servers are down, whats a underrated mon you really enjoy?sinistcha is a much worse check to more offensive tusk in some cases(specifically atk booster) but i love it a lot and its even a decent check to the other big physdef guys like zama, dozo, skarm or garg, even some variants of gouging fire, and while yes it cant block defog from the like 3 users in the tier i still enjoy it a lot and it pairs great with knock off gliscor if you can get a hazard stack core going
overrall i love this lil guy :sinistcha:

spreading more positivity while servers are down, whats a underrated mon you really enjoy?sinistcha is a much worse check to more offensive tusk in some cases(specifically atk booster) but i love it a lot and its even a decent check to the other big physdef guys like zama, dozo, skarm or garg, even some variants of gouging fire, and while yes it cant block defog from the like 3 users in the tier i still enjoy it a lot and it pairs great with knock off gliscor if you can get a hazard stack core going
Tinkaton is something that I have been using a bit recently, and while I wouldn't say it is the best, it still gets the work done. It's a really disruptive mon with pickpocket, rocks, knock, encore and t-wave. With air balloon, it also is probably the single best moon counters in the game, being able to take its hits well and responding with an ohko by play roughing it into oblivion.
Also Johto Slowking. Shits on sun/rain teams and has a lot of useful traits its galarian counterpart doesn't have. (But I explained it better in the RMT I made a day ago, go check that out. Shameless plug).

Tinkaton is something that I have been using a bit recently, and while I wouldn't say it is the best, it still gets the work done. It's a really disruptive mon with pickpocket, rocks, knock, encore and t-wave. With air balloon, it also is probably the single best moon counters in the game, being able to take its hits well and responding with an ohko by play roughing it into oblivion.
Also Johto Slowking. Shits on sun/rain teams and has a lot of useful traits its galarian counterpart doesn't have. (But I explained it better in the RMT I made a day ago, go check that out. Shameless plug).
What' an rmt?

Iron Crown is pretty nice atm. Really solid special tank that can use an AV Future Sight pivot set, be a Calm Mind Speed Booster sweeper or even run funny stuff like Iron Defense + Calm Mind + Stored Power on Speed Booster. Specs is also decent too. I think the Assault Vest set would especially work well paired with Rillaboom for giving extra recovery and helping against Earthquake users. Future Sight makes breaking easier for Rillaboom and Rillaboom can nail all the Ground types that Crown doesn’t like. Just wish it got Aura Sphere and Body Press though so Tera Fighting / Focus Blast aren’t required for it. KINGAMBIT IS UNHEALTHY FOR THE TIER

Last edited:
I have never seen this set before in my life. I associate Trailblaze with Pokeaim click bait, but I can see how this can clap HO. Though once again you’re sacrificing certain match ups just to get the edge on HO. If we can criticize other Pokemon for not having a one all answer move set then why not Ogerpon.
Yes u sacrifice ur matchup vs stall or fat balance for ho but ho is the most common style on the ladder so u prep for that. U getting the wrong idea anyways, did you see my previous posts I thought roaring moon is the real ladder terrorist, not ogerpon. So actually I agree with you lol

Kyurem is probably the next closest to be broken in my eyes. I currently have it as borderline, but if the thing starts abusing something else like Body Press to start handling Blissey or something, I'm gonna change it right to #2. It's not there for me yet.
I’ve already seen this strange HDB Kyurem set going around with Freeze-Dry + Earth Power + Scale Shot + Filler specifically for nailing the Special walls that usually try switching into Specs, so you’re not too far off on that point.

I have never seen this set before in my life. I associate Trailblaze with Pokeaim click bait, but I can see how this can clap HO. Though once again you’re sacrificing certain match ups just to get the edge on HO. If we can criticize other Pokemon for not having a one all answer move set then why not Ogerpon.
I’ve actually used Trailblaze + SD Waterpon (with Encore over Play Rough) quite a bit on Hyper Offense. It’s a pretty neat wincon that can also come off early game and start taking chunks out of the opposing team.

Basically, you provide a team you have been doing well with to the public and you can get some feedback from the community. Both mid level and top players use it, though top players usually use it to allow the community to use it to climb themselves.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/rate-my-team.52/
Also, another shameless plug
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/slowking-johto-balance-team.3743244/
Wrong dude rmt = rate my team, I'm pretty sure it was designed to help newbier players especially get help with their teams over anything else when first introduced. The intention was good but over time it just devolved into a place to flex peaked #1/2/3/69/420 with xxxx elo to farm clout and likes, its a waste of time rating teams that's proven successful, u could but its just there for show. Actual newbie players that need help with their rmts mostly get ignored now. I used to like posting on rmt a lot back then when i just joined smogon, not anymore cos I do not care for the likes or the clout or flex!

Wrong dude rmt = rate my team, I'm pretty sure it was designed to help newbier players especially get help with their teams over anything else when first introduced. The intention was good but over time it just devolved into a place to flex peaked #1/2/3/69/420 with xxxx elo to farm clout and likes, its a waste of time rating teams that's proven successful, u could but its just there for show. Actual newbie players that need help with their rmts mostly get ignored now. I used to like posting on rmt a lot back then when i just joined smogon, not anymore cos I do not care for the likes or the clout or flex!
From the RMT Forum Rules and Forum Guildlines
1715750241972.png

I literally stated that you get feedback on the team that you posted there, which is getting help on them.
Top Players post it maybe partially for show, but its still a good way for newer players to get good teams that are up to date, some RMT's even end up becoming sample teams.
Newer players don't really get ignored in RMT's, they still get some feedback, but most of the time they do get ignored its cause the format is wrong or it is for some other format posted in the OU section.

Aite if you're gna pick apart whatever I type word for word so specifically I concede I cba w this. As for the 2nd part, yes the majority of them get ignored lol ask ur heart and u will know the answer every1 here reading this thread can probably 2nd it
So he provides a source and evidence to back up his point and your reaction is "LOL I can't be bothered anymore." Weak.

Anyway I have to agree that Sinistcha and Iron Crown have both been pulling their weight in my OU matches. Iron Crown is a fast and surprisingly bulky Future Sight User and has the privilege of breaking Subs and sash leads (e.g. Ribombee) with Tachyon Cutter. Sinistcha once dark types are removed just sits there being fat, draining attack stats away for breakfast (especially Shield Doge) and spamming Grass-type scald that heals to stave off Kingambit from switching in.

oh my bad im 'weak' for stating facts as usual. since u attacked me by saying that i have to actually back it up

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/deoxys-speed-pivot-x-regenerator-core.3743241/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/choice-scarf-hoopa-hazards-stack.3742742/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/true-rain-team.3742351/

just example of 3 posts theres many more they got completely ignored u see any help being offered, u been around as long as me, u just live under a rock or pretending to be dumb? i cannot tell. sometimes i try to offer some help but im not an expert on gen9 either. dentge af View attachment 632901
The first one was made yesterday. So there still is time for it to get reviewed. Usually it takes max a week to do.
The other two are more unfortunate, yes, but the second one is implied to be difficult to read from the only comment that isn't the own poster. I'm guessing the mod couldn't accurately rate it, and changing the font colour would help that (which the poster ignored btw) The third one may have simply gotten lost in the other rmt's.

I'll show examples of some teams that have not peaked on ladder that got advice.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/paradox-paradise-ho-peak-1544-ou.3743284/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/im-new-can-someone-help-me.3743276/ (this one shows how even if they don't have the right format, the mods still are helping)
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...y-brother-it-needs-some-improvements.3742881/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/returning-player-hiatus-is-one-and-a-half-year.3742317/
These are examples of newer players RMT's getting reviewed and helped.
I'm going to ignore the rudeness of the rest of the post, which tbh, is not shining the best light on you.

Thanks for your opinion. I definitely agree with you in some regards, but I also think that this tier is held up by rubber bands and chewing gum. If this tier is only "stable" because we feel the need to keep one unhealthy mon or else we'd actually have to deal with the plague of Dark Types in the tier is indicative of an overarching problem. In the short term, yes, the Tier would be worst off without Zamazenta, but I'd argue it'd open room for long term growth of the Tier by actually addressing problem elements within it rather than saying "here is dog everything fine."

Though I'm now curious on what your Top Five Must Go Pokemon are. In fact anyone reading this comment on what your Top Five Most Go's are.
:Kingambit:

My (probably unpopular) opinion is that Gambit remains one of the fundamental problems of this tier. Sure, we’ve “adapted”, and there are various splashable ways to check it including Encore, Wisp, and def boosting Skarm/Dozo. But when you really look at it, it’s a fundamentally meta-warping mon that is greatly driving up the power level of OU.

One of the main complaints people bring up about this meta is the over-saturation of threats. And I feel that Gambit greatly contributes to this. Not only is it a major threat in and of itself, but being the main priority user of the tier, it is also just barely holding back a lot of souped-up mons that would be more obvious suspect candidates if it ever left like Moon, Kyurem, Pult.

You could pick out a lesser Uber mon and drop it to OU, and the meta would eventually warp around it. It would be the best win condition in the tier. It would see a lot of usage, maybe even the highest usage. It might simultaneously check other very powerful mons, driving up the power level and supporting a broken-checks-broken meta. Eventually, it would become the face of the tier and people would get used to it.

At some point during Gen 9, it would be cool to see Gambit get banned and the floodgates opened. Several mons might be pushed to suspect. Multiple bans could result and the tier would restabilize at a lower power level.

Realistically this probably won’t ever happen. But it would be cool.

:Ogerpon-Wellspring::Kyurem:

Regarding other mons, Kyurem and Waterpon stand out to me as the best suspect candidates. Kyurem feels more broken, but it escaped ban by a hair not long ago so it’s probably off the chopping block now.

Waterpon is definitely worth suspecting. Even if it doesn’t get banned, as there seems to be a strong DNB contingent, a suspect would open up more productive discussion and exploration of counterplay. Like what happened to Gouging Fire. I wouldn’t mind Waterpon getting banned though.

Last edited:

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
IMG_4927.png
IMG_4928.png
IMG_4929.png

OU’s Most Wanted
Gen 9 has never been short of controversial threats. Since Scarlet and Violet released, everyone wanted to ban Gholdengo’s ass. With this post I want to highlight the most controversial mons that gained traction and outcries for a ban/suspect. I won’t go over
IMG_8879.png
cause I’ve talked about it to death. The rest of these are fair game.

IMG_4681.png

Unmasking The Ogre
Starting off strong with this one. After dodging the fraud allegations from earlier in DLC2, Wogre has been a hot topic among the playerbase, low ELO and high respectively. Ivy/Pwhip/Play Rough hits nearly everything besides Grasses, but imo Wogre can forgo any coverage because Ivy Cudgel is a very spammable Water type move for having 0 drawbacks off. So you often don’t have to click SD. Switch-ins like Pult, Kyurem, Raging Bolt, and Zama can tank a hit, but Wogre can come back in to chip it even further to the point where it stops being a check since Wogre forces switch ins easily. Because most dragons can be put in range of +2 Cudgel, you can ditch Play Rough for other options like Knock Off which OHKOs Sinistcha at +2 and punishes Dnite, Encore which punishes the opponent for clicking a single status move, or U-Turn which ruins the hopes for Serp, Rilla, and Wo-Chien trying to check you. The best set imo is Trailblaze + Encore, which punishes Zama for trying to 1v1 you with Iron Defense and DD Kyurem thinking it got a setup opportunity from you. Since the Volc ban, Wogre can justify running Adamant for even stronger Cudgels while outrunning Kyurem. Trailblaze in general mitiages the issue of being “bad vs HO” which isn’t even true btw since Wogre’s raw power can let it trade or disrupt Gambit/Bolt with Encore. There’s a reason its been under discussion for a suspect test. Wogre does have a few positive traits for the tier. It stops Mola from brainlessly clicking Flip Turn and helps vs the degenerate Gliscor/Gking/Garg cores. However the benefits of having Wogre may not outweigh the strain it has on teambuilding. We’ll see halfway or by the end of WCOP.

IMG_4608.png

Breaking The Ice
Kyurem was suspected in January but didn’t meet the threshold to get banned. Kyurem’s ability to shred defensive cores with Specs or HDB has alarmed players, especially with options like Tera Ground/Fairy making it more difficult to rkill. I’ve already talked about Kyurem extensively, but in short, I don’t think it’s an issue. Specs is rocks weak, meaning you can limit its opportunities through hazards more easily than other breakers in a similar caliber like Wogre or Primarina which is reasonable for the sheer power it provides. HDB is the best set, but may struggle to pick up KOs on targets like Garg or Clef.

IMG_4639.png

Piercing The Shield
The Zama ban cries are more recent. Ironpress sets can snowball with the right moveslots and Tera. Resto Chesto with Tera Dark can beat Gliscor, Pult, Ghold, and Moltres. Tera Fire beats Hex Pult, Molt, and Fairies. Roar beats Tera Ghost mons and opposing setup. It is a similar dynamic to Volc, but less dramatic. Zama still has consistent counterplay through stuff like T-Wave Ghold and is manageable through smart team compositions. Its what CM Suicune was to ADV. Zama checks several physical attackers and Darkrai in one-slot which is valuable for the amazing speed tier it holds, is it broken? I’d wait.

IMG_4661.png

Breaking The Tyrant
Gambit ban cries have been lesser in recent months but they’re still arguments made about it being too much for the tier. Supreme Overlord and Tera can reverse the tide of a match. Its a mon you pretty much always need to account for in the builder and in battle, after all, it is the most used Pokemon on the ladder, so teams are expected to have a gameplan around it, whether its Encore, Zama, Flame Body Tran, Helmet Taunt Lando, BU Tusk, Skarm, Taunt Helmet Ting-Lu, or dedicated lures like Low Kick Weavile. Or Probopass. We see this in ADV where Ttar’s Sand and Skarm’s Spikes centralize the meta. However this led to players finding creative work arounds like Rain Dance + Dug to trap Ttar and remove Sand for teammates like Lax, Cune, Hera, etc. Some centralization is fine as long as it incentivizes good team building but not severely limit options. Gambit has established itself as the perfect glue mon, providing strong priority, excellent bulk, and a bulky Steel. It covers multiple holes that would have to be filled by 2-3 other mons. Personally, I think its fine.

IMG_4685.png

Fighting The Storm
Unless your name is Unaware Clodsire, Ting-Lu, or Blissey, Raging Bolt almost always claims a kill or two. With Booster and a Calm Mind, Bolt reaches nearly 800 SpA, 2HKOing or OHKOing most of the tier. It gets opportunities off its amazing bulk. Tera Fairy can let it trade with Tusk and Dragons. Bolt has other good sets like Specs, Assault Vest, and Taunt Three Attacks, but the standard Calm Mind is the main thing to look out for. So it could be argued that Bolt is too much for the tier. It can also be argued that counterplay is sufficent enough. Bolt can be limited by Encore, hazards, and bulky Grounds. Without Tera, Offensive Tusk OHKOs after rocks. I am on the fence with R-Bolt since it can snowball easily with Dpulse 2HKOing every Ground type minus Ting/Clod/SpD Gliscor but it can be limited in how many kills it gets.

IMG_4578.png

Poisoning The Vampire
SD Gliscor is highkey the best Balance breaker behind Waterpon, but where most breakers can be worn down via hazards, Gliscor never fucking dies. Meaning you can outlast its checks longterm via PP stall. Knock + Hazards handles everything else. Earthquake is obviously good for STAB but Tera Normal Facade is the way to go for being a nuke button after one Swords Dance while flipping your matchup into Weavile/Kyurem. SpD Gliscor is difficult to one-shot without an Ice move or strong Water move (Waterpon Cudgel). SD is also incredibly easy to splash since hazards are highly accessible this gen. The utility sets are fine, but I find that SD creates unhealthy dynamics. Gliscor’s bulk and longevity makes it more of a strain for Balance than Wogre or Kyurem. Probably the mon I think should be suspected first. Thank you for listening to my hot take.

IMG_4670.png

Confiscating the Ghold
Like I said earlier, ppl wanted this thing banned for over a year now. Ghold has defined the hazard/hazard removal dynamic since the generation started. In 2024, most people find it fine, but there are a few that call for Ghold to be banned/suspected, especially after its best check was booted out of the tier recently. Ghold has piloted hazard stack and webs alike while being a strong wallbreaker. Ghold isn’t as good as in previous metagames but obviously still great. Faster threats, Tusk opting to run Knock Off more, and the tier in general being more prepped for it. The hazard dynamic is honestly the cause of GameFreak gutting Defog on a bunch of mons and adding Spikes on like 20 pokes because they think players will use Spikes in a double format with games ending in single-digit numbers. Ghold has a 4MSS, wanting Recover, Focus Miss, T-Wave, Dgleam, Psyshock, but not able to fit them.

IMG_4588.png

Waking The Nightmare
Darkrai discourse is pretty new in a post-Sleep ban world. Some players have argued Darkrai’s raw speed and wallbreaking capabilities are too much for the tier. Dpulse/Sludge/Beam/Focus Miss hits everything at least neutrally. Nasty Plot jacks up its damage output to new levels. Knock cripples special walls along with Spikes, and Wisp is a midground that cripples Gambit, Ting-Lu, Tusk, etc. With Tera Poison, it makes checking Darkrai harder for Fairies. However I disagree with the notion that Darkrai is too much. Its main STAB option is surprisingly weak without a boosts, so it mostly relies on its good coverage. Darkrai is pretty frail and pure Dark doesn’t help it defensively. It also has legitimate checks like Zama, SpD Corv, Clodsire, Ting-Lu, AV Hatt, SpD Washtom, Tran, Tinka, etc. With how popular Darkrai is getting, it’s only a matter of time before people start prepping for it more.
There are a couple others that get briefly mentioned.

IMG_4647.png
Pult sometimes gets called for a suspect but it doesn’t get enough traction.

IMG_4945.png
G-Fire was suspected a couple months ago but calls for another suspect test are rare these days.

IMG_4648.png
Val ban cries are rare but sometimes show up from time-to-time.

IMG_4650.png
A few people hate Samu’s free Spikes, but anytime it’s mentioned as banworthy, it’s never taken seriously.

IMG_8870.png
Believe it or not, there’s people out there that still want Garg banned in 2024.

IMG_4605.png
One person on the forums finds this broken.

IMG_4791.png
Someone out there hates Primarina’s guts and wants it banned or had a bad experience watching The Little Mermaid.

View attachment 632813View attachment 632814View attachment 632815
OU’s Most Wanted
Gen 9 has never been short of controversial threats. Since Scarlet and Violet released, everyone wanted to ban Gholdengo’s ass. With this post I want to highlight the most controversial mons that gained traction and outcries for a ban/suspect. I won’t go over View attachment 632816 cause I’ve talked about it to death. The rest of these are fair game.

View attachment 632817
Unmasking The Ogre
Starting off strong with this one. After dodging the fraud allegations from earlier in DLC2, Wogre has been a hot topic among the playerbase, low ELO and high respectively. Ivy/Pwhip/Play Rough hits nearly everything besides Grasses, but imo Wogre can forgo any coverage because Ivy Cudgel is a very spammable Water type move for having 0 drawbacks off. So you often don’t have to click SD. Switch-ins like Pult, Kyurem, Raging Bolt, and Zama can tank a hit, but Wogre can come back in to chip it even further to the point where it stops being a check since Wogre forces switch ins easily. Because most dragons can be put in range of +2 Cudgel, you can ditch Play Rough for other options like Knock Off which OHKOs Sinistcha at +2 and punishes Dnite, Encore which punishes the opponent for clicking a single status move, or U-Turn which ruins the hopes for Serp, Rilla, and Wo-Chien trying to check you. The best set imo is Trailblaze + Encore, which punishes Zama for trying to 1v1 you with Iron Defense and DD Kyurem thinking it got a setup opportunity from you. Since the Volc ban, Wogre can justify running Adamant for even stronger Cudgels while outrunning Kyurem. Trailblaze in general mitiages the issue of being “bad vs HO” which isn’t even true btw since Wogre’s raw power can let it trade or disrupt Gambit/Bolt with Encore. There’s a reason its been under discussion for a suspect test. Wogre does have a few positive traits for the tier. It stops Mola from brainlessly clicking Flip Turn and helps vs the degenerate Gliscor/Gking/Garg cores. However the benefits of having Wogre may not outweigh the strain it has on teambuilding. We’ll see halfway or by the end of WCOP.

View attachment 632831
Breaking The Ice
Kyurem was suspected in January but didn’t meet the threshold to get banned. Kyurem’s ability to shred defensive cores with Specs or HDB has alarmed players, especially with options like Tera Ground/Fairy making it more difficult to rkill. I’ve already talked about Kyurem extensively, but in short, I don’t think it’s an issue. Specs is rocks weak, meaning you can limit its opportunities through hazards more easily than other breakers in a similar caliber like Wogre or Primarina which is reasonable for the sheer power it provides. HDB is the best set, but may struggle to pick up KOs on targets like Garg or Clef.

View attachment 632834
Piercing The Shield
The Zama ban cries are more recent. Ironpress sets can snowball with the right moveslots and Tera. Resto Chesto with Tera Dark can beat Gliscor, Pult, Ghold, and Moltres. Tera Fire beats Hex Pult, Molt, and Fairies. Roar beats Tera Ghost mons and opposing setup. It is a similar dynamic to Volc, but less dramatic. Zama still has consistent counterplay through stuff like T-Wave Ghold and is manageable through smart team compositions. Its what CM Suicune was to ADV. Zama checks several physical attackers and Darkrai in one-slot which is valuable for the amazing speed tier it holds, is it broken? I’d wait.

View attachment 632856
Breaking The Tyrant
Gambit ban cries have been lesser in recent months but they’re still arguments made about it being too much for the tier. Supreme Overlord and Tera can reverse the tide of a match. Its a mon you pretty much always need to account for in the builder and in battle, after all, it is the most used Pokemon on the ladder, so teams are expected to have a gameplan around it, whether its Encore, Zama, Flame Body Tran, Helmet Taunt Lando, BU Tusk, Skarm, Taunt Helmet Ting-Lu, or dedicated lures like Low Kick Weavile. Or Probopass. We see this in ADV where Ttar’s Sand and Skarm’s Spikes centralize the meta. However this led to players finding creative work arounds like Rain Dance + Dug to trap Ttar and remove Sand for teammates like Lax, Cune, Hera, etc. Some centralization is fine as long as it incentivizes good team building but not severely limit options. Gambit has established itself as the perfect glue mon, providing strong priority, excellent bulk, and a bulky Steel. It covers multiple holes that would have to be filled by 2-3 other mons. Personally, I think its fine.

View attachment 632915
Fighting The Storm
Unless your name is Unaware Clodsire, Ting-Lu, or Blissey, Raging Bolt almost always claims a kill or two. With Booster and a Calm Mind, Bolt reaches nearly 800 SpA, 2HKOing or OHKOing most of the tier. It gets opportunities off its amazing bulk. Tera Fairy can let it trade with Tusk and Dragons. Bolt has other good sets like Specs, Assault Vest, and Taunt Three Attacks, but the standard Calm Mind is the main thing to look out for. So it could be argued that Bolt is too much for the tier. It can also be argued that counterplay is sufficent enough. Bolt can be limited by Encore, hazards, and bulky Grounds. Without Tera, Offensive Tusk OHKOs after rocks. I am on the fence with R-Bolt since it can snowball easily with Dpulse 2HKOing every Ground type minus Ting/Clod/SpD Gliscor but it can be limited in how many kills it gets.

View attachment 632918
Poisoning The Vampire
SD Gliscor is highkey the best Balance breaker behind Waterpon, but where most breakers can be worn down via hazards, Gliscor never fucking dies. Meaning you can outlast its checks longterm via PP stall. Knock + Hazards handles everything else. Earthquake is obviously good for STAB but Tera Normal Facade is the way to go for being a nuke button after one Swords Dance while flipping your matchup into Weavile/Kyurem. SpD Gliscor is difficult to one-shot without an Ice move or strong Water move (Waterpon Cudgel). SD is also incredibly easy to splash since hazards are highly accessible this gen. The utility sets are fine, but I find that SD creates unhealthy dynamics. Gliscor’s bulk and longevity makes it more of a strain for Balance than Wogre or Kyurem. Probably the mon I think should be suspected first. Thank you for listening to my hot take.

View attachment 632925
Confiscating the Ghold
Like I said earlier, ppl wanted this thing banned for over a year now. Ghold has defined the hazard/hazard removal dynamic since the generation started. In 2024, most people find it fine, but there are a few that call for Ghold to be banned/suspected, especially after its best check was booted out of the tier recently. Ghold has piloted hazard stack and webs alike while being a strong wallbreaker. Ghold isn’t as good as in previous metagames but obviously still great. Faster threats, Tusk opting to run Knock Off more, and the tier in general being more prepped for it. The hazard dynamic is honestly the cause of GameFreak gutting Defog on a bunch of mons and adding Spikes on like 20 pokes because they think players will use Spikes in a double format with games ending in single-digit numbers. Ghold has a 4MSS, wanting Recover, Focus Miss, T-Wave, Dgleam, Psyshock, but not able to fit them.

View attachment 632930
Waking The Nightmare
Darkrai discourse is pretty new in a post-Sleep ban world. Some players have argued Darkrai’s raw speed and wallbreaking capabilities are too much for the tier. Dpulse/Sludge/Beam/Focus Miss hits everything at least neutrally. Nasty Plot jacks up its damage output to new levels. Knock cripples special walls along with Spikes, and Wisp is a midground that cripples Gambit, Ting-Lu, Tusk, etc. With Tera Poison, it makes checking Darkrai harder for Fairies. However I disagree with the notion that Darkrai is too much. Its main STAB option is surprisingly weak without a boosts, so it mostly relies on its good coverage. Darkrai is pretty frail and pure Dark doesn’t help it defensively. It also has legitimate checks like Zama, SpD Corv, Clodsire, Ting-Lu, AV Hatt, SpD Washtom, Tran, Tinka, etc. With how popular Darkrai is getting, it’s only a matter of time before people start prepping for it more.
There are a couple others that get briefly mentioned.

View attachment 632932 Pult sometimes gets called for a suspect but it doesn’t get enough traction.

View attachment 632934G-Fire was suspected a couple months ago but calls for another suspect test are rare these days.

View attachment 632935Val ban cries are rare but sometimes show up from time-to-time.

View attachment 632936A few people hate Samu’s free Spikes, but anytime it’s mentioned as banworthy, it’s never taken seriously.

View attachment 632938Believe it or not, there’s people out there that still want Garg banned in 2024.

View attachment 632939One person on the forums finds this broken.

View attachment 632940 Someone out there hates Primarina’s guts and wants it banned or had a bad experience watching The Little Mermaid.
Also I'm glad not the only one who wants Bolt gone more than Gambit, I find Bolt genuinely harder to deal with than Gambit since I find counterplay more limited than gambit.

Also, I think Gliscor is moreso obnoxious than broken, since unlike in DLC1 it has actual answers and is actually breakable. SD Gliscor is still annoying but like, I'm unsure if I would call it broken, just annoying for certain teams to deal with mostly kinda like Zama and Darkrai. Gliscor being a momentum sink feels a lot more relevant in this meta than in the DLC1 meta, and it having to deal with Weavile makes its life harder

It has been truly satisfying to watch darkrai in OU. i said before it dropped it was too overbearing for OU and i got shot down, people calling it midrai and some jokers even called it UU material. Turns out it WAS broken until the sleep ban, and even now i see it creeping back up in viability with nasty plot + 3a or nasty plot sub. its not a the top of the metagame but id say its in top 5. there isnt even an opportunity cost for dark types as darkspam has been viable all of gen9.
I mean I knew darkrai would be good but like yeah it being a meta staple now that things are starting to calm a bit checks out

So we’re kinda doing “what we think of the metagame” posts rn? Alright, I’ll take the time to yap a bit.

:Kingambit: - This thing still does the exact same shit, runs the exact same sets (although it’s running Low Kick more often now), warps the meta around it in the exact same way and has the same unhealthy relationship with Tera as it always did. I still feel it’s just as unhealthy as you not only need a dedicated check to it on your team to handle it, but you also need a secondary check in case the thing decides to nuke your Great Tusk or un-tera’d Zamazenta with Tera Blast Fairy/Flying. Or Tera Fighting Low Kick. Or Tera Ghost. Or Tera Flying. Supreme Overlord makes this even easier by making the act of sacking your mons a good thing when you need the extra boost for Kingambit. I still feel this thing is not ok in OU and would definitely be happy to see it get another suspect. Or alternatively Tera gets banned and all the Fighting types in the tier actually check it as God intended.

:Ogerpon-Wellspring: - Naturally fast, naturally strong with a good offensive typing and both great coverage (Play Rough, Low Kick, Knock Off) and great utility (Knock Off, Spikes, Spiky Shield, Encore, U-Turn). Not to mention setup moves like Swords Dance and Trailblaze. Thanks to what’s effectively a 120 BP Ivy Cudgel (or 144 BP Power Whip. Or 90 BP Horn Leech. Or…) because of the 1.2x boost to every attack that the Wellspring mask provides, it usually claims at least 1 or 2 easy kills per game. All of these allow it to act as an excellent wallbreaker, a strong stallbreaker, yet another strong Spikes spamming pivot or even a wincon with SD + Trailblaze (and all of these sets destroy balance teams anyways). Thing is that having an instant nuke with 110 Speed no matter what set you’re running thanks to Ivy Cudgel doesn’t sound all too balanced, especially when you can pick and choose what you lose to with coverage and utility. Play Rough beats Dragonite (and Hydrapple I guess), Trailblaze + Encore beats Iron Defense Zamazenta and Mono-Attacking Dondozo with Waterfall / Alomomola lose on preview to it. Sure, it also handles tf out of Gliscor, forces Garg to Tera, makes Gouging Fire’s life miserable, makes Kingambit and Raging Bolt waste Sucker Punch / Thunderclap’s PP and punishes Dozo/Mola for being really braindead, but it also puts a lot of strain on the teambuilder with any team you’re trying to make. It doesn’t help matters that it effectively has no checks offensively with its wide movepool while not being frail enough to offset that aspect. I always thought this thing would be a problem at some point and I’d definitely understand a suspect for it.

:Kyurem: - Losing Roost hurt its longevity pretty badly, but it still has similar set variety to last gen and has the same power (with Tera giving it a funny new tool to play with). Dragon Dance sets are more potent this time around with Loaded Dice making Icicle Spear actually reliable STAB moves, it can get itself STAB Physical Ground or STAB Fire coverage with Tera to hit more stuff, it can go mixed, the Specs set is just as deadly as last gen, you can still run heat items like Never-Melt Ice and it certainly didn’t get any less bulky. Sure, it’s weak to hazards without HDB, but when backed up by reliable hazard removal it can just be a braindead check-less clicker (whether Dragon Dance, mixed or special) as it usually is. I’m surprised this guy didn’t go during its last suspect, but I guess Volcarona being around was enough to keep people at ease on Kyurem.

:Darkrai: - I’d say it’s alright atm with all the Fighting-types around to check it and how without Nasty Plot, it isn’t hitting too hard with Dark Pulse. I don’t feel like it adds much to the tier, but at least it doesn’t seem like an active problem right now.

:Zamazenta: - This guy’s pretty much a matchup cheeser on the same level as Volcarona. Even if you have a check to this thing that factors in a specific Tera, it can still just bypass that with having access to Substitute and Roar to keep on steamrolling your team. It can also just go all-out on offense with a Choice Band set and be a fast, bulky wallbreaker with 92/115/115 bulk and STAB Close Combat. I find it annoying and I wouldn’t mind seeing it go.

:Gliscor: - At most I feel it’s an annoyance and isn’t overwhelming enough to be considered broken, especially with all the other wacky shit currently in the tier. Pretty easy to force it to Tera, the metal birds can consistently wall it, Hex spam from Dragapult and Gholdengo pack it up and it does not like Special breakers, even with max SpD. I don’t feel like it stands out atm.

:Dragapult: - I feel like Kingambit is the one thing keeping everyone from complaining en masse about this guy. At the moment I’m fine with it and think it’s a pretty healthy presence in the tier with utility sets being nice checks to Zama / Gambit / Gouging / Dragonite and the Specs set being a nice glue as a general special pivot, but it could definitely get out of control without Kingambit being around to keep it in check. If Kingambit was to finally go, then I’d feel this would be worth taking a look at.

:Roaring Moon: - If anything was to truly feel like a physical counterpart to the matchup moth, it’s this thing. Except it’s even more versatile of a threat than Volcarona was. Even if you have a check for it, it can still click Knock Off to cripple you, overwhelm you with Acrobatics anyways since Tera Flying + Booster Atk + Dragon Dance turn it into a blazing fast nuke, turn out to be a Taunt + Roost set that laughs in Dondozo’s face or just be a Scarf / Band pivot. It can also run Brick Break to shit on Screens Offense (or just to be petty to Kingambit) and Jaw Lock to troll stall even more than just a regular Taunt + Roost set would. I’d definitely be alright with seeing this thing get booted out again.

:Terapagos-Stellar: (Terastal) - This mechanic just outright ignores the core competitive mechanic of the game in typing matchups and creates a meta where absolutely nothing has any true counter (besides Ogerpon which has forced Tera, but with its coverage it still has no true counter anyways). Its existence is antithetical to the game and an absolute nightmare scenario for anyone who hates Hidden Power (which is pretty healthy compared to whatever tf Game Freak thought they were cooking with Tera). I really wish to see this mechanic out of the tier.

Last edited:

Baloor

Captains Baloor and 3d will not abide by excuses
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
oh my bad im 'weak' for stating facts as usual. since u attacked me by saying that i have to actually back it up

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/deoxys-speed-pivot-x-regenerator-core.3743241/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/choice-scarf-hoopa-hazards-stack.3742742/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/true-rain-team.3742351/

just example of 3 posts theres many more they got completely ignored u see any help being offered, u been around as long as me, u just live under a rock or pretending to be dumb? i cannot tell. sometimes i try to offer some help but im not an expert on gen9 either. dentge af View attachment 632901
ive been contributing on smogon likely longer than you, moderated rmt and the TA room on ps and can say you are being a absolute clown

the issue is the lack of people willing to give quality help these days. the quality of raters has drastically gone down and thats more of a issue related to smogon culture and good players being less willing to contribute to the site itself these days. there are various reason teams are skipped over, like i mentioned the lack of raters or another example the team just being hard to rate. i'm not going to go on a full rant about it to explain everything in full detail but dont be a idiot and spread misinformation that could potentially be detrimental to somebody improving at the game.

during my time on the team we had several conversations and attempts about how to get people the help they need. the rmt staff are very nice people and do try their best and its incredibly inconsiderate to undermine the work they put in on a sub forum with dying activity.

Last edited:
I normally don't post to the discussion forums but if we're talking about the power level of mons in the tier I think I can safely throw my opinions out into the void and not be noticed.

:Kingambit: - Not the most broken guy in the tier but definitely the main character. My boy RS25802580 put it really well, the entire meta is warped around him. Yes we've adapted, and he's definitely not at the peak of his power, but he is the big dog. I wont repeat what RS said so read his post for my opinion. As an avid BKC viewer, I accept he keeps a lot of the tier in check with priority, bulk and great typing, but we should not let that get in the way if gambit starts to rise up in brokenness again. I don't think it's banworthy rn, but maybe we're just too used it it.

:Zamazenta: - This guy is super cheap, and super strong. Set variety is hugely annoying. This really is the gen where you get to pick your counters, but this one always feels extra annoying. Roar for boosting up alongside zama, crunch for ghosts, heavy slam for fairies. Even tera fire or sub for status. Plus the power of body press and its speed means common encore users don't want to mess around trying to encore it into iron defense. Yes, there are checks, but they really can be overwhelmed. Even defensive ghold can be forced out with a crunch defense drop which can give zama a free kill while you switch out and in. I'd like to see a suspect test on this guy.

:Raging-Bolt: - Just a beastly mon that basically always trades positive, unless you bring clod or lu. Even then, tera water tera blast sets or just dropping boosted dracos on the switch can wear through the opponents defense. A real pain to build against too. Of course every team will basically always bring a ground type, but most of the ground types need to be careful. Maybe I spam lando too much and its my fault for getting draco'd tho. I'd like to see a suspect of this guy too.

:Ogerpon-Wellspring: - Really strong breaker which is really hard to build around. That third move slot for encore, play rough, u turn or something else really changes the game. If you try to get away with a fake check like some dragon type play rough is going to end you, and even things like iron press corv or skarm get encored. Just a very tricky mon, but that rocks and spikes weakness is killer. Don't think its too broken rn, but worth keeping an eye on.

:Dragonite: - Really not banworthy, I just gotta shout out my boy. Best anti-bullshit mon in the business. Multiscale + Tera normal ESpeed solves all issues. Pair it with encore oger to pressure the steel birds and you're going to have a fun time.

Tera - I don't like it, but I'm in the minority and don't think its realisitic we'll see any action on it so I wont go on about it. Just throwing it out there, looking forward to gen 10 when it is gone.

I am a known Maushold enjoyer, and derive great satisfaction from a 470 BST mon being an offensive threat. Population Bomb can OHKO neutral targets like Ogerpon or Kyurem from full, and even very bulky neutral targets at +1:

+1 252 Atk Technician Maushold Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Zamazenta: 420-510 (108.2 - 131.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah, that's dropping a Zamazenta as long as Dauntless Shield's boost isn't active. It's TOUGH to switch into +1 Maushold unless you resist normal or are a ghost, and the ghosts have to worry about Tera Dark Bite, which will OHKO offensive Gholdengo:

+1 252 Atk Technician Tera Dark Maushold Bite vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 320-378 (101.5 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It makes Maushold tricky to handle; ID/BP has problems with Tera Ghost, while opposing ghost types get mulched by Tera Dark. I've even toyed with Tera Ice Tera Blast to nuke Landorus, who otherwise answers Maushold reliably thanks to Rocky Helmet; it wasn't good, but Landorus coming in on the Tidy Up turn onto to get erased by Tera Blast was funny as hell.

Outspeeding Ogerpon is key to Maushold's value, thanks to an unboosted Population Bomb being an OHKO, revenging non-Trailblaze sets and halting a sweep. Fast Encore discourages setup moves (other than Dragon Dance) in general, as well as helping deal with Kingambit's Sucker Punch, and Tidy Up clearing hazards is good - as long as you can get the mice in at all, Tidy Up to clear hazards and then chunking something is valuable.

Maushold appreciates the Volcarona ban and absolutely needs Knock Off support if it's to be more than a Tidy Up bot, as anything that carries a Rocky Helmet can trade itself for the mice, so it's not a top threat, but it's better than most people give it credit for.

I am a known Maushold enjoyer, and derive great satisfaction from a 470 BST mon being an offensive threat. Population Bomb can OHKO neutral targets like Ogerpon or Kyurem from full, and even very bulky neutral targets at +1:

+1 252 Atk Technician Maushold Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Zamazenta: 420-510 (108.2 - 131.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah, that's dropping a Zamazenta as long as Dauntless Shield's boost isn't active. It's TOUGH to switch into +1 Maushold unless you resist normal or are a ghost, and the ghosts have to worry about Tera Dark Bite, which will OHKO offensive Gholdengo:

+1 252 Atk Technician Tera Dark Maushold Bite vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 320-378 (101.5 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It makes Maushold tricky to handle; ID/BP has problems with Tera Ghost, while opposing ghost types get mulched by Tera Dark. I've even toyed with Tera Ice Tera Blast to nuke Landorus, who otherwise answers Maushold reliably thanks to Rocky Helmet; it wasn't good, but Landorus coming in on the Tidy Up turn onto to get erased by Tera Blast was funny as hell.

Outspeeding Ogerpon is key to Maushold's value, thanks to an unboosted Population Bomb being an OHKO, revenging non-Trailblaze sets and halting a sweep. Fast Encore discourages setup moves (other than Dragon Dance) in general, as well as helping deal with Kingambit's Sucker Punch, and Tidy Up clearing hazards is good - as long as you can get the mice in at all, Tidy Up to clear hazards and then chunking something is valuable.

Maushold appreciates the Volcarona ban and absolutely needs Knock Off support if it's to be more than a Tidy Up bot, as anything that carries a Rocky Helmet can trade itself for the mice, so it's not a top threat, but it's better than most people give it credit for.
Truely this is the true ladder terrorist. Your team can either handle Maushold, or lose. Thank you Lando-T for once again saving OU with your fashion sense.

God, I miss Showdown. Reading everyone’s opinions on the metagame had really gotten my creative juices flowing. I wanna try stuff out man!

Most ppl severely misplay their Miceholds too, you DO NOT NEED TO GET A PLUS ONE BOOST

as long as there's no rocky helmet users on the other side there is absolutely no non-ghost switch-ins into population bomb

Most ppl severely misplay their Miceholds too, you DO NOT NEED TO GET A PLUS ONE BOOST

as long as there's no rocky helmet users on the other side there is absolutely no non-ghost switch-ins into population bomb
Not really the damage you want from Tidy Up but the speed. Without the +1 speed boost, Maus is actually stuck in a very awkward speed tier which leaves it super prone to revenge kills on top of it not exactly getting easy switches to begin with, so you want to ensure it's doing as much as possible. It's an okay pokemon but it strikes me as rather match up fishy.

Since we're all bored and talking about random or underrated mons,

1715813739482.png

Iron Hands @ Choice Band
Ability: Quark Drive
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 4 HP / 164 Atk / 184 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Wild Charge

I actually think that Choice Band Iron Hands is alright. Iron Hands is probably the best singular road block to Kingambit due to its resisting of both its stabs and not caring for most coverage it runs, only really disliking Tera Fairy and Ghost variants. It's also a useful buffer into other dark types like Darkrai and Weavile and the investest special bulk lets it help in emergencies vs certain special attackers like Gholdengo or Iron Moth. The reason I mention Choice Band specifically is that SD sets can feel like they're a bit too support dependant to get past mons like Great Tusk and Zamazenta, among some others but CB giving the immediate power let's it slam more things for big damage and ensure it's making the most of its switch ins. It is a bit prediction reliant, although Banded CC still can slam some resists like Clodsire really hard, but the main thing I wanted to highlight is Future Sight support. It's a tried and true strategy of course, but it's particularly nice here since common FS users invite dark types in, and Hands handles those quite well, making for favorable trades when it gets in. At worst it weakens physical stops like Tusk and Zama for teammates to abuse.

164+ Atk Choice Band Iron Hands Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 255-300 (58.7 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
164+ Atk Choice Band Iron Hands Close Combat vs. +1 252 HP / 88 Def Zamazenta: 177-208 (45.6 - 53.6%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It's a fun little idea I think.

I have been trying to figure out the perfect anti-lead for awhile. The problem is there aren't many ways to account for both Focus Sash and Choice Scarf leads of many common hazard leads like Hamurott and Glimm. Maushold with Choice Band would be a disgusting anti-lead if it weren't for Glimm's resist and the threat of opposing scarf sets. Rillaboom on lead is also fairly common.

I came up with a Roaring Moon anti-lead set, because of course I did. But I don't necesarrily think BE speed + Taunt is as good as the Taunt set is with BE attack. So I came up with another anti-lead set that was Tera Fairy. But neither really deny hazards from every source, such as Hamurott. They just abuse the situation to set up. Not what I was looking for, though I go through some very evil ideas.

Next I tried Fake Out. Fake Out was a good idea to try and get rid of any sashes. It also takes away the necessity for multi-hit moves Now I just needed a way to beat scarfers. Rillaboom and Weavile each looked promising. But neither Grassy Glide or Ice Shard got enough KOs against the leads required for it to fit. And non-priority moves just couldn't ensure beating the boosted speed tiers.

So I came up with something really depraved. Normal Gem Hitmonlee. Here me out...

Hitmonlee @ Normal Gem
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Fake Out both gets rid of Focus Sash and procs Unburden. From there, you outspeed the most important lead scarfers. High Jump Kick 1HKOs Hamurott, lead Iron Treads, and a lot of other things. Tera Fighting will 1 shot Glimmora with High Jump Kick. Knock Off hits lead D-Speed and Ghost switch ins. I have Poison Jab for lead Ribombee. Glimm is that hardest thing to deal with here. I wanted to run Stomping Tantrum to hit Glimmora without Tera Fighting, but I would have had to drop something like Poison Jab for Ribombee. So I basically just accepted having to burn Tera and needing a grounded Poison type as a teammate.

There are a few things you can't necesarrily outrun with Unburden without Jolly. I haven't thoroughly run enough calcs to know if the tradeoff is worth the speed tier upgrade. I also haven't tested Close Combat, which might be a more viable alternative.

Anyways, this is a very rough idea. But it's the closest I have ever come to shutting down the lead hazard game with a single mon in gen 9.

Not really the damage you want from Tidy Up but the speed. Without the +1 speed boost, Maus is actually stuck in a very awkward speed tier which leaves it super prone to revenge kills on top of it not exactly getting easy switches to begin with, so you want to ensure it's doing as much as possible. It's an okay pokemon but it strikes me as rather match up fishy.
Without the +1 you still outspeed ogerpon which is fantastic. With +1 youre still slower than booster valiant, speed roaring moon, scarf meow and iron boulder (not that hes common). so honestly the speed usually feels perfectly fine without a boost unless you get +2 but if you can tidy up twice then the opponent is hopeless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 17)