Gastrodon > Swampert?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Things don't have to be too strong for UU to be removed from it; they can also be used too much to be UU.
*Warning: Crazy "tier logic" ahead*

That sounds kinda dumb. If there's really going to be a UU metagame, then why would something be removed from it because it's popular? I know this is how the tiers have worked in the past and stuff, but moving stuff out of UU because people use it a lot in OU makes it kind of hard to make a UU metagame. I mean, if everyone started using Luvdisc, would he be OU?

Of course, that's an extreme, improbable example, but look at stuff like Tentacruel. I mean, he wasn't exactly raping UU with his amazing powers, but he's OU probably due to your stall team. Now UU doesn't have Tentacruel, but he might come back in the future if suddenly he's uncool?

Meh, uh, anyway, yeah Blue Gastrodon for the win. I might try him out in a few days due to insane cool points. Hell, if he had a bit more special bulk he could be an over-specific Trickzam counter.

Side note: Why doesn't he have Earth Power? HP Ground works in UU and I guess you have to use EQ in OU for T-Tar, but still breeding an HP Ground Gastordon's going to be a bitch.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Well Chris, UU exists for the sole reason that people get annoyed at seeing OU pokes all the time. If I have to see Tenta's ugly mug every other game in Over Used, then I don't really want to have to see it in Under Used as well . . . hence why UU pokes that get too popular become OU.

Because of the true meaning of tiers. No one's ever sure if OU and UU are just terms of power, or if they actually mean what they stand for. If it meant "overused" then it wouldn't make any sense to put a popular Pokemon in "underused"

I've used both Gastrodon (Toxic/Recover/Ice Beam/Earthquake), and Swampert (Stealth Rock/Waterfall/Earthquake/Avalanche). I can safely say that Gastrodon has lasted longer, taken more hits, and been more fun to use, but Swampert has simply been more useful. Why? Stealth Rocks.

Neither are going to get many kills, neither are going to hang around forever, but Swampert has the tendency to actually do something useful for the team, unlike Gastrodon, who usually does little more than annoy. The reason I prefer Swampert to Stealth Rock over Hippowdon/Gliscor is because it just gets many free initial switch-ins with his better typing/SpD, even if it doesn't take a lot of hits in the long run. Swampert can switch in on Zapdos, Heatran, etc. fairly easily initially, while Hippowdon can't take HP Ices very well and it sure isn't switching in on Heatran.

By the way, though this may be considered advertising, here's a warstory of a battle that I thought really emphasized Gastrodon's viability in OU. It might be useful for the discussion, I guess.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39021

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uh, what's so amazing about Stealth Rock again? If it's so important to Swampert's viability, why was he any good in RS? Oh wait, his grood typing and Earthquake made him a great counter to lots of things. Seriously, how is doing 12% on a switch that useful unless you're using something like SDLuke that really needs it to kick major ass?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Don't underestimate the ability to do 12% on a switch. That's like your opponent not having Leftovers for 2 turns. Also neutralizes Focus Sashes (hey, something else that didn't exist in R/S) and prevents some low-HP pokemon from coming back in the end of a match and kicking your ass.

Considering how much more stallish RS was and Curse + Restwert was everywhere, Gassy would have at least been BL IMO. Though, stockpile did work differently in RS so its main moveset wouldn't work...

I've been using Gassy as my Counter to Gyara/Garchomp. After I think one Stockpile, he can out recover Outrage. Toxi-stalls them both to death and they can't do a thing.

Gyarados usually taunts or DD's in which case Surf does about 12%+toxic dmg. Gassy can still outrecover if he Stockpiles during the DD's and Stall him to death.

Maybe it's because he's still not used a lot, but he works extremely well.

AND Gastrodon beats most Swamperts 1 v 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)