Something I've always wondered...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in GSC, Nintendo introduced two new elements to the mix (Dark and Steel), bringing the total Pokemon types to 17. What I don't get, though, is why wasn't Light subsequently added? So my question to the general public is if Light was an element, what Pokemon already existing would be Light, and what kind of attacks would they have? What would be their strengths and weaknesses? And what would be its relation to the Dark element (because in nature, the two exist parallel to each other)?

I don't know how many moves would fit into the 'Light' type, actually.

But if you ask me about an extra type, I think Sound oriented attacks/moves would fit in more with a Sound type, in my opinion. Uproar, Sing, Hyper Voice, Perish Song, Howl, Super Sonic, etc.

But I think they have covered almost every basic element out there.

I think Psychic is currently the 'light' type. The dark eeveelution (Umbreon) paralleled the 'light'/psychic eeveelution (Espeon).

Yeah, Psychic is kind of 'light'.

Chinchou/Lanturn, Finneon/Lumineon, Illumise/Volbeat, Espeon, possibly Solrock and Lunatone would be Light. Arceus is a possibility. Maybe Sunflora but that's stretching it.

Light always seemed kinda like electric to me...
light pokes, if u think about it, would seem like electric pokes, eg. chinchou, lantern. Flash would be a light attack...

Like everyone else said Psychic is just another japanese english translation dealie sort of like Mr. Mime. From what I've read.

Actually, I've sort of seen Sound as the most original idea, it seems kind of cool.

There was a topic similar to this before and someone mentioned that in RBY Psychic looked like the "dark" type. Just look at Hypno. Or Kadabra, who shows that the witchcraft theme (obviously related to Dark now) used to be represented by the Psychic type.

The way I always saw it, the Light element always seemed more like fairies and like that. Like the Pokemon I saw that should be Light were like Clefable, Wigglytuff, Blissey, Chimecho (Light/Psychic), Ampharos (Light/Electric), maybe Milotic (Light/Water), Sunflora/Bellossom/Cherrim (Light/Grass), Altaria (Dragon/Light), Togekiss (Light/Flying), Solrock/Lunatone (Light/Rock), Espeon (nix Psychic, just Light), Castform, and maybe Volbeat and Illumise (Light/Bug). I'm sure there are more logical solutions. But Light I don't think means literal Light all the time, just kinda like those that resist evil (Dark) and destroy it. Maybe Volbeat/Illumise/Ampharos don't need to be included for that reason.

haha yeah I didn't even think about them. They're actually a perfect of example of what i would think a Light pokemon would be. Maybe even Miltank or Delcatty too. And yeah, Lumineon would be good in there, and maybe even Plusle and Minun?

Having had owned quite a number of Japanese Pokemon cards in the past, I can assure you that psychic types definitely aren't considered "light" in Japan. If you translate the Japanese symbol for psychic type literally, it just means "super." More in the vein of the card game, it's interesting that they introduced light Pokemon in there even though the concept never appeared in the games.

It reads esper, not super, from what I can read with my meager knowledge. In turn, Dark reads "evil". They're not quite opposites, so your point stands.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think this thread would be more appropriate for one of the pokemon discussion forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)