"That is so gay!"

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Homosexuality is, as far as I know, genetically applied as well. It's just that there's some people who believe it is a choice, and homosexuals who try not to be homosexual. Both of those are inherently wrong though.
From what he says in the rest of the post, I think he means that being gay is something you can hide as it's not visible like being black. And due to the negativity of phrases like "That's so gay" and ridiculous commercials like this one, young people are more likely to hide it and think there's something wrong with them.

Do I see anything wrong with uses profane words? Not really. But using slurs against a group that is currently not accepted as equal for unknown reason in the most powerful nation in the world isn't acceptable yet. Using (BAN ME PLEASE) now is used like how Hip said (at least around where I am). Using gay and (BAN ME PLEASE) isn't. It's like using the word (BAN ME PLEASE) in the 1950s. We aren't at the same place with these two issues.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i like to vary my insults but i have no problem throwing a "gay", "retarded" or "fat" out once in a while

edit: i mean the words, not the people who the words describe. i'd probably have quite some difficulty throwing a fatty out.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When people call shit "gay"
Like say...
"That shirt is so gay"
I'll reply with "I don't think that shirt lieks other boy shirts"
Because people need to realize how ignorant they sound when they call inanimate objects homosexual.
And I'll probably call you ignorant right back for failing to recognize a commonplace figure of speech.

Morm summed up what I think, and it's the reason I don't feel guilty when I swear, because it's pretty much empty and meaningless talk that someone decided to call "bad"
Exactly. If someone's going to get all offended over a little movement of my vocal cords, they probably need to be offended. In the case of swearing, someone arbitrarily decided that certain words are going to be "bad," and the rest of the sheep decided "hey, that sounds like a good idea." Fuck them, I'll say what I want.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree and disagree with you. Some words are "profane" for no damn reason. However, other words shouldn't be used in a negative way because giving negative connotations to words that are used to describe a group of people will increase negativity associated with being a part of that group.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I say gay since most gays are well (BAN ME PLEASE)s and act like ones too,
Sorry but tbh that's like me saying "I say Sikh because most Sikhs are (BAN ME PLEASE)s and act like that too". Not too nice, is it? If you base your assumption of a large group of people on the small number of these people you know, you are flawed.

Anyways, for the discussion, I really can't stand when people use gay as an insult. I'm not Gay, or even Bi but I know what it could be like to have the shit torn out of me by someone who uses that as an insult. If you don't understand how a word can offend anyone (yes Trax, Sikh Assasin), you shouldn't be using it in the first place. Come on.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree and disagree with you. Some words are "profane" for no damn reason. However, other words shouldn't be used in a negative way because giving negative connotations to words that are used to describe a group of people will increase negativity associated with being a part of that group.
I was referring to profanity, not racism. I thought I made that clear.

Anyways, for the discussion, I really can't stand when people use gay as an insult. I'm not Gay, or even Bi but I know what it could be like to have the shit torn out of me by someone who uses that as an insult. If you don't understand how a word can offend anyone (yes Trax, Sikh Assasin), you shouldn't be using it in the first place. Come on.
The way I read the OP, it's referring to the kind of gay as in "that homework assignment was gay," so homosexuals are not involved, unless you're making the comment about homework to a gay person. So in that context, it's not offending anyone.

No, I don't have a problem with using derogatory terms such as gay, fuck, (BAN ME PLEASE) and the like at all.

Unless saying the word would lead to me being killed, maimed, etc.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I'm really behind in this thread so it's time to catch up:

iirc "idiot," "moron" and "imbecile" were all used as technical terms to describe how mentally retarded someone was. Now they're predominantly used as insults, and nobody cares.
Obviously some people do, but I personally don't. It's the same way that calling something "lame" is actually a slap in the face to cripples everywhere. Words change meaning over time, that's just how it is.

So you're saying their choices of limitation/censorship should also limit me, thusly inconveniencing me because of their choice? I think the burden of inconvenience should be placed on them if they decide to exclude various aspects of mainstream culture.
I see your point, but you need to keep in mind that there are things to be said in good taste, and things that aren't. Calling a man fat to his face is not exactly something you should be practicing, nor should you be knowingly making Nazi jokes around Jews. That's just disrespectful and hurtful.

I have a question for the people in this thread who have no problem using the word (BAN ME PLEASE) to describe someone they didn't like. Would it be acceptable if, instead of calling someone you didn't like a (BAN ME PLEASE), you called them a (BAN ME PLEASE)? A kike? Would that make a difference? Personally, I don't think it does, but people I've talked to seem to see things much differently.
Well, no, it wouldn't be acceptable, but now we bring into the argument the matter of degrees. It's just like as a kid, you know that bitch and ass are bad, shit is terrible, but fuck is the king of all swear words. Saying ass near your mom might get you spanked, but saying fuck will basically get you disowned for a month. So, no, it's not the same, but obviously that still doesn't make it okay. (I, for one, despise how the black culture has appropriated the word (BAN ME PLEASE) for their own use, it's sickeningly ignorant.)

No, I don't have a problem with using derogatory terms such as gay, fuck, (BAN ME PLEASE) and the like at all.

Unless saying the word would lead to me being killed, maimed, etc.
A very good point: know your audience.

The whole 'gays flaunt it' thing is interesting; apparently I'm 'pushing my sexuality' in people's faces when I mention a female ex/fuck/whatever but they don't seem to apply the same to themselves when they chatter endlessly on about their partner of the opposite sex.

Anyway, I use the term 'gay' as a derogatory all the time. I won't use it if there's someone in the locality who is offended by the term - as long as they don't use anything themselves like 'retarded' 'lame' 'bitch' etc etc.

I tolerate the use of "gay" and "retarded" and use it sometimes day to day, sometimes in the presence of gay people I know (limited as much as possible), but I never use those words to refer to them specifically or infront of people I don't know well. As others have said, both words have lost their original meaning, so the origin of the word, in casual talk at least, is irrelevant. Besides, I'm more apt to say something like "fuck this" than a deragatory term that could refer to a person.

I use terms like "mentally impaired" and "homosexual" more often when I can, because from what I can see, it has the least negative connotation. I can understand why people would be offended by words like gay and retarded, but those tend to be straight people. Those who are openly homosexual are usually secure and have enough self-confidence to not care about what others think about their choice/lifelong tendency (their motive for being homosexual, including "being born that way").

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
I use both in their both ways of use...That means, I can say "That battle was so gay" and "He's gay"

I think I let the context speak for itself; this thing of not saying "gay" or "retard" just because that people exist doesn't mean they...mean the same thing.This is so tough to explain...

I mean, look at gay a few decades in the past, it was about being happy and stuff.

I've never used the word "gay" to describe anything. It just doesn't fit in with the vocabulary that I use or even comes to my mind. The word retarded, I've made a conscious effort not to use anymore. When I was younger and unaware of that it truly meant I used it, but as I grew up and realized something about my brother who is mentally challenged, hearing that word used in his presence disgusts me.

It's all about knowing your audience of course. Someone who uses words more liberally should be aware of certain outcomes of using certain word.

For example, I hope a white person wouldn't walk up to a group of blacks or even one black and use the N-word, then get mad at the black(s) negative reaction to it. The white in question most likely knew that the word choice would be considered inflammatory. (I'm aware of the certain hypocrisy with my example but I hope you get the point).

I've never used the word "gay" to describe anything. It just doesn't fit in with the vocabulary that I use or even comes to my mind. The word retarded, I've made a conscious effort not to use anymore. When I was younger and unaware of that it truly meant I used it, but as I grew up and realized something about my brother who is mentally challenged, hearing that word used in his presence disgusts me.

It's all about knowing your audience of course. Someone who uses words more liberally should be aware of certain outcomes of using certain word.

For example, I hope a white person wouldn't walk up to a group of blacks or even one black and use the N-word, then get mad at the black(s) negative reaction to it. The white in question most likely knew that the word choice would be considered inflammatory. (I'm aware of the certain hypocrisy with my example but I hope you get the point).
The world may be obsessed with political correctness these days, but the last thing to go will be making fun of mentally challenged people. I've seen my classmates all through the years automatically banish these kinds of people from every chance at making friends unless it was with somebody like me. Nobody stands up for them and calls the people making fun of them arrogant or ignorant either from what I've seen.

It's pretty sad, especially when these kids are usually the nicest.

I see your point, but you need to keep in mind that there are things to be said in good taste, and things that aren't. Calling a man fat to his face is not exactly something you should be practicing, nor should you be knowingly making Nazi jokes around Jews. That's just disrespectful and hurtful.

A very good point: know your audience.
Thanks for writing part of my response for me. Anyways, obviously when I say "that's gay" or whatever, I'm not saying it right to some homosexuals face in a derrogatory way directed right at them. It's not as if I'm being edgy or offensive just for the sake of doing it. It would be completely inappropriate to go out of your way to offend someone, just the way it is completely inappropriate to make someone go out of their way because they offend you with their everyday language.

I do say it occasionally but obviously, it depends who you are around. We used to have a gay geography teacher. The new boy in our form didn't know this and started on a rant about gays. Our teacher went fucking psycho

I have gay friends that use it the same way, no offence is intended so none should be taken unless you're a puss, simple as that.

People use retarded when people or things are being dumb as hell and not making logical sense. Compared to normal people retards obviously are dumb as hell and don't make as much logical sense, so it fits. Once again, there is no offence intended towards them personally, so none should be taken.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I have gay friends that use it the same way, no offence is intended so none should be taken unless you're a puss, simple as that.

People use retarded when people or things are being dumb as hell and not making logical sense. Compared to normal people retards obviously are dumb as hell and don't make as much logical sense, so it fits. Once again, there is no offence intended towards them personally, so none should be taken.
You're retarded.

And you should take offense at that.

lol ok.
Even if someone does take offense to it, it doesn't mean that they're a "puss". If you're using "gay" as an insult, then you're just kind of degrading them, making gay synonymous with something negative. Also, it's not like someone across the street automatically knows no offense is intended, so they might indeed, take offense. Even if you shout out "No offense intended!" right before you use "gay", it's still pretty disrespectful.

What you said about the word "retard", the fact that you said "so it fits" just kind of makes me laugh. Can't people come up with a better insult than "retard"?

Most gay people I've known are so utterly used to it that even they call stuff gay or call people (BAN ME PLEASE) as insults. If someone starts giving me some sort of lecture for using the word I make a point of using it around them more, unless they're in a position in which they've got power over me (boss, teacher, ect. but I don't use casual conversation around most of them anyways). I've only met one gay person who's taken offense to it and I honestly didn't care what his dumb ass thought of me anyways, his general attitude was one of self entitlement. I know for a fact that people who think that way don't go far in life. Oh boo-fuckity-hoo my feelings are hurt because someone directed a mean word at something that I don't even care about.

It's disassociated from its original meaning, it's not a big deal. Look at the word dork, that's a word for a whale's penis, a geek is a sideshow attraction that bites the heads off of animals, do you see either of them being used in their classic senses?

Most gay people I've known are so utterly used to it that even they call stuff gay or call people (BAN ME PLEASE) as insults. If someone starts giving me some sort of lecture for using the word I make a point of using it around them more, unless they're in a position in which they've got power over me (boss, teacher, ect. but I don't use casual conversation around most of them anyways). I've only met one gay person who's taken offense to it and I honestly didn't care what his dumb ass thought of me anyways, his general attitude was one of self entitlement. I know for a fact that people who think that way don't go far in life. Oh boo-fuckity-hoo my feelings are hurt because someone directed a mean word at something that I don't even care about.

It's disassociated from its original meaning, it's not a big deal. Look at the word dork, that's a word for a whale's penis, a geek is a sideshow attraction that bites the heads off of animals, do you see either of them being used in their classic senses?
Well, gay isn't that far away from it's definition. When someone asks you "What does gay mean?" Of course homosexuality will appear, so it's kind of a bad comparison with the words you said. And since gay is the name of a particular group, using it as an insult just degrades the group.

This relates perfectly to the topic at hand.

also, this is fucked up. who are you to decide what is normal and what is not? you arbitrarily decide that all mentall handicapped people are obviously less intelligent that "normal people"? how exactly do you define normal and mentally handicapped?

also, this is fucked up. who are you to decide what is normal and what is not? you arbitrarily decide that all mentall handicapped people are obviously less intelligent that "normal people"? how exactly do you define normal and mentally handicapped?
Didn't the DSM decide that?

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
To me, gay no longer means homosexual. It's just a term to describe lameness. As for calling shit retarded- that's fucked up.

I don't see how people can really take "gay" so lightly when they are so actively discriminated against. Do you see how those absurd state constitutional amendments banning gay marriage always seem to get passed? The modern Jim Crow isn't black; he's gay.

I don't think the argument about it having a different meaning is true at all. Most people call things they don't like "gay" not just because it's common but because they are using shorthand "it sucks like gay people suck". Maybe you don't mean that, but that's what's obviously commonly understood (if California, one of the most liberal states in the country, has half of its population that doesn't think it's okay to be gay, what do you think that says about the rest of the US?). By using "gay" as a generic negative, you are just supporting the culture of oppression, intentionally or otherwise.

The parallel with "(BAN ME PLEASE)" is a pretty good one, but it's not quite the same thing since today pretty much everyone in mainstream culture realizes that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being black. It's more similar to using the word "(BAN ME PLEASE)" in 1960, and that's far more serious.

I think the comparison to "(BAN ME PLEASE)" was interesting. It's extremely difficult to "stamp out" a word that is so constantly in use. so what happened? The black community owned it and began to use it between themselves.

So what's going to happen to gay? either we are all going to try to stop using it out of guilt, or it's going to become a new word altogether in the hands of someone or other. I think gay rap is gonna be the next big thing maybe ^__^

either way we cant predict the future of gay/retarded but i think the most important thing is to recognize that respecting the people that they emerged from is paramount

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)