DSi. What do you think?

Farmer

But I don't dry tears, I just aim at them on purpose
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't see any reason for me to buy a DSi,
I mean the screen isn't much bigger, it has no GBA slot and I don't care about a camera...

I see it as a bust
It just the usual trend of adding minor features in that should been in the original.

I don't see any reason for me to buy a DSi,
I mean the screen isn't much bigger, it has no GBA slot and I don't care about a camera...

I see it as a bust
That's totally the case. Though the new features are somewhat irrelevant I'd probably get one since my DS Phat seems to be withering away..

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd sooner get a new DS than a DSi. Here's why:

1) Lack of a GBA slot hurts.
2) Low Battery Life
3) Region Locked

Way to shit everything up Nintendo, especially for #1 and #3.
Ok #3 just totally killed the deal for me. Half of my games are jap/american from ebay so there's no way I'll be getting one of these now.

Huh? I thought there were going to be DSi exclusive games coming out. Hate to say it, but unless it's JUST online store games, that's a pretty big reason to buy one right there, even though region coding is stupid. Right now my DS lite's top screen is messed up so I was probably just going to wait for the DSi's release so I could have the latest system.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From what I've read, Nintendo seems to have found a way to make the DSi incompatible with Action Replay and most flashcarts. I am not buying largely for this reason.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, from personal experience, the ONLY time I've actually used an Action Replay was for cloning and getting TMs in Pokemon. That's about it. Otherwise I've never used it on any other game.

Well, from personal experience, the ONLY time I've actually used an Action Replay was for cloning and getting TMs in Pokemon. That's about it. Otherwise I've never used it on any other game.
Same here but I use r4 for most of my games and if it's not compatible with that there is a 0% chance I'll buy it lol

No GBA slot means I can't play my old Zelda, Fire Emblem, or Pokemon games. That is enough to turn me away from the DSi. I also just got a DS Lite yesterday anyway.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh, where have people read that retail carts are region-locked? Nintendo has never region locked any of their handheld systems. I can see it being region-locked for the digitally distributed titles, but that's about it.

Fishin, only downloaded games will be exclusive as far as I can tell. Or games that use the camera. Inside it should still be the same as the DS and DS Lite.

$180 is the price you can find the Xbox 360 Arcade at any given month. I'm sorry, but unless they suddenly announce a Zelda game that's only available on the download service, I'll be sticking with my DS Lite.

The removal of GBA slot isn't good for sure, but I was going to by new DS Lite anyways, and now I'll just wait for European release to buy something new^_^

Ugh I just got my frigg'n Black DS Light and they pull this. Good thing the DSI doesn't seem to be relevant to my gaming interests at all.

i'll probably just get another DS Lite when mine wears out (the hinge is loose after a year).

pretty much for all the reasons that have been stated already.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
You know when I saw this thread I was thinking of some things Nintendo said.

3 years is awful long for a piece of tech to not be upgraded, and now the DSi is out with further improvements.

Then I was like, what? no gba slot? your fucking kidding me. First on the regular DS you couldnt even play original and gameboy color games. Now no GBA games too. DS games are pretty suck.

And then I laughed at the thread having good feelings that the general response would be negative and so Im off to say...

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I hope that the DSI is compatible with the r4, even though Nintendo has fucked a lot of AR stuff and flash carts as stated above. I practically play all my games on the r4, and if the DSI isn't compatible, this is just going to turn me off, which sucks. My DS phat's microphone doesn't work, and it looks like shit now.

The DSi sounds cool, especially since you could access internet. The camera seems largely useless to me but whatever. No GBA slot sucks. I never got the DS-chunky but got Lite. It's in good condition but my screen got screwed. The large difference in pricing is another issue. Might get one. Then again, might not. Probably not.

They're in no rush to come out with a new system after the DS lite sold as well as it did. I see this as the first of multiple upgrades on it. I don't know what they were thinking taking away the GBA slot though.

Same with the wii, they're still selling as good as they were when they first came out

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sounds kind of dumb. I mean, I love playing GBA games, and without the GBA insertion, I'l never be able to catch those Pokemon that only show up with the GBA games inserted.

Like everyone else said, a shitty camera and browser are already on my phone. Put a phone on it, and I'll buy it.

I think that everyone was expecting a third DS system for most of the summer. (The Gameboy and GBA both came in three different iterations.)

Is anyone kind of disappointed that Nintendo didn't try to make a mobile phone? I personally think that this is the kind of unconventional and radical thing that people have come to expect from Nintendo after they brought the DS and Wii to the market, and I think that there's real market potential for such a device (especially in Japan). And unlike Nokia, I think that Nintendo actually has the engineers that it would take to make the device attractive to buyers. While it certainly wouldn't be as widespread in appeal as the DS lite, I really think that it would have drawn more interest than a new DS whose main function is to access an online store and double as a low-resolution camera.

If they had produced a version of this with GBA compatibility, I would have purchased one to replace my DS when it wore out. However, the DSi seems to be telling pokemon to screw itself without GBA compatibility...

They need a really excellent exclusive game to help sell this guy that is purchasable with the free online store credit to offset the cost.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You think they're screwing Pokemon? How do you think Activision feels with their semi-annual Guitar Hero games which REQUIRE the GBA slot for their peripheral? XD

Fishin, only downloaded games will be exclusive as far as I can tell. Or games that use the camera. Inside it should still be the same as the DS and DS Lite.
Ah, thanks, that's good to know. I'll most likely just go for another Lite then, the new features (like the browser) don't really seem worth 50$ and the wait. Of course, if something really good comes from the online store...hmm.

As for me, the "NO GBA" slot means you cant play GH, pokemon Emerald, FR/LG anymore, and Mario insertions would be fucked up...

But Trying this out isnt that bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)