What kind of ipod do you have

What kind of ipod do you own?

• Total voters

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is "lolwat" supposed to mean? Couldn't find it in the dictionary.
Shitty Software
- iTunes: one of the most bloated annoying programs I've had to install
- the shitty firmware I was stuck with from August 2008 to December 2008. Filled with crashes
- firmware that must be hacked to do simple tasks that $0 phones can do

Shitty Hardware
- build quality: this is just more from hearing my friends' issues with their Apple products
- battery life >=[
- cost of add-ons

My issue is mostly with their software.

"Apple's shitty software and hardware"

lolwat
iTunes is horrible and bloated. quicktime is horrible, and iPods are no more durable than any other player on the market. The supposedly high quality mac laptops seem to have more physical problems than people with the shitty $600 computers. I could go on but I won't.

I used to have a 1GB Zen and this Christmas I got around to buying a 8GB one, it's exactly like Mrobinson's(the X-Fi right?). To be honest though for some reason I can't get Creative Centrale to work and so I haven'te ven tested my shiny new baby :(. I can't seem to be able to use Winamp to insert audio in it, I mean, I can but for some reason, Winamp crashes if I delete any songs. Ugh.

Can someone give me a hand regarding this? :x
Yeah the X Fi is what I have

Well I've never used the Creative media managers when I tried out the one for the Zen Vision M.It was pretty bad so I never bothereWMP works fine for me (I don't understand why people think it so bad) I subscribe to the Napster Music service which has no problem transfering tracks so I don't really have a problem transfering stuff.

I would check for firmware update and ditch the Creative software as software has sadly never been Creative's strong point.

What firestorm said
Can't you just drag and drop from your Music folder to the mp3 player for now?
works. It's just kind of the brute force method.

As far as getting music to play in your car that can be tricky. Newer cars that come with an audio jack in are a blessing as a simple $3 cord does the job. Tape decks are great as their have been audio adapters for years that work with those. If you have neither, then a car radio adapter broadcasts the signal to an open station. These work okay although they are somewhat expensive and the quality can be shaky and decreases over a couple of years.

The most expensive route is to get an audio jack wired into your car either through a new deck system or just sort of hacking it on. Audio jacks are the easiest to use and best way to hook up once set up.

except i don't only use it for music. a large space like that also allows me to use it as a solid disk drive as well as acommodate things like movies which are handy if you're on a long trip or something.
As was pointed out watching videos on a small screen for long trips isn't really my idea of ideal or fun but if you really think you go on enough long trips in which you are going to spend that much time away from your computer (pretty much just airplanes and trains, as cars have adapters which can be turned into plugs for laptops with nice big screens), then I guess you are getting the most from your player.

So you are using it as a portable hard drive to store your files? A portable HDD that you use when you walk around, jog or exercise, sleep on etc. etc. making it susceptible to everyday bumps and drops that are the bane of HDD players and HDD storage. That's kind of rediculous.

Do you really have enough videos to warrant that much space? I would be willing to bet you don't even have 60gb of music, videos, pictures and documents on your computer unless you have some sort of tie in with videography in which case it could completely validate the need for 120GB. Anything else and that was money better spent.

The first mp3 player I got in my life was a 3rd gen iPod Nano a few months ago for my birthday, and I'm still using it now. The price was worth it since I bought it refurbished along with warranty.

Tall and skinny Silver 2G Nano.

Got it a couple of years ago. I'm not really a huge music fan, just for something to do on a car journey/on the way to school.

What is "lolwat" supposed to mean? Couldn't find it in the dictionary.
Shitty Software
- iTunes: one of the most bloated annoying programs I've had to install
- the shitty firmware I was stuck with from August 2008 to December 2008. Filled with crashes
- firmware that must be hacked to do simple tasks that $0 phones can do

Shitty Hardware
- build quality: this is just more from hearing my friends' issues with their Apple products
- battery life >=[
- cost of add-ons

My issue is mostly with their software.
In all reality, a lot of people have different experiences with iTunes/iPod. I've had my ups and downs with iTunes. It really is one of the most bloated annoying programs that I've ever installed. So far, all of my bad experiences have resulted from my old 4GB mini. On multiple occasions iTunes would delete my entire library of songs for absolutely no reason. The battery life of the mini was absolutely horrid, and the build quality was under par. I decided to give apple another chance and decided to get a 120GB iPod classic. My iPod classic has a very long battery life, and the build quality is much better. Time will only tell if I have any more issues with iTunes, but right now I am quite happy.

I got a 1st gen 16 gb touch (jailbroken)

personally, I think its great. It is without a doubt the best class video game device, because:
1. you can set it to a webpage when you enter class that has to do with what you're learning about.
2. You can proceed to play video games or whatever.
3. I the teacher catches you, just say: "oh, I was researching the smith/merkley election"
4. be smug

I'm not a big fan of Apple so I got myself a Zune. I'm pretty happy with it, but I wish I had a (free) way to convert my videos into a format it can read.
I had this same problem with mine; what you want to do is just torrent all of your videos and movies and make sure they're .avi's and then download a program i am using called Videora iPod converter. It'll convert the .avi to an .mp4, which your zune can read.

You can use vixy.net's youtoob to .avi/whatever converter for music videos and shit if you like too; i use that for a lot of the music videos on my zune.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The experience you have with iTunes has one major variable: OS.
If you use a Mac, it's great. If you're one of the 90% of the population that uses Windows, you'll be annoyed as hell. I'm not sure if they even have it released on Linux.

skittyonwailord, I think the TI-83+ and higher are better in-class handheld gaming devices =) Falldown + Bust-a-Move. That's all I need. My friend had a Zelda game on his TI-89 @_@

Well I've never used the Creative media managers when I tried out the one for the Zen Vision M.It was pretty bad so I never bothereWMP works fine for me (I don't understand why people think it so bad) I subscribe to the Napster Music service which has no problem transfering tracks so I don't really have a problem transfering stuff.

I would check for firmware update and ditch the Creative software as software has sadly never been Creative's strong point.

What firestorm said
works. It's just kind of the brute force method.
heh, after some hours of trial and error, creative centrale still won't work, and it's gotten to a point where my computer won't even acknowledge the USB-plugged-in mp3 player. Seriously. I have installed everything there is to install from the tiny little cd that came in the package, but i plug it in and my computer goes like "there was an ERROR!" and it won't detect it anymore.

so i'm guessing this is just my computer being a fuck-up. next step i'm taking is trying to plug it in on someone else's computer.

sorry to derail this thread

zelda? oh wow, thats pretty impressive. I have sim city on the ipod, and that's pretty good, as well as a whole bunch of pretty simple games.

I got a TI-83, so ill have to check that out.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
anyone know of a way to add media to an ipod from any PC without completely fucking it up?

edit: a "free" method would be preferable :)

If you use a Mac, it's great. If you're one of the 90% of the population that uses Windows, you'll be annoyed as hell. I'm not sure if they even have it released on Linux.

skittyonwailord, I think the TI-83+ and higher are better in-class handheld gaming devices =) Falldown + Bust-a-Move. That's all I need. My friend had a Zelda game on his TI-89 @_@
The OS is annoying as hell, but I can live with that....(I have a PC) The one thing that annoys the hell out of me, is not being able to make folders to organize my videos...

My 8GB (actually 7) Touch that im typing on has served me well, though I've filled it up with movies already.

8GB 3rd Gen Nano that I have been using over a year and I can say I am decently pleased with it. Might be small sometimes but I choose not to put my entire music library on my IPod at once so it is fine (like say some songs I know I would never listen to when I am outside).

I can agree on this, my experience with iTunes on my MacBook are amazing. It is definitely significantly better.

An old 2GB Nano... one of my friends got a Touch so he gave me his old one for (almost) free. I wouldn't use it for videos anyway.

I have a 2g 4GB iPod nano. Bought it a couple years ago, though it's been freezing quite often in the past 2 months, so I'm probably gonna get a new mp3 player soon. Looking at the Sony Walkman S-Series, since it's gotten lots of positive reviews.

iTunes is horrible, though I use Winamp to manage my iPod anyway.

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
As was pointed out watching videos on a small screen for long trips isn't really my idea of ideal or fun but if you really think you go on enough long trips in which you are going to spend that much time away from your computer (pretty much just airplanes and trains, as cars have adapters which can be turned into plugs for laptops with nice big screens), then I guess you are getting the most from your player.

So you are using it as a portable hard drive to store your files? A portable HDD that you use when you walk around, jog or exercise, sleep on etc. etc. making it susceptible to everyday bumps and drops that are the bane of HDD players and HDD storage. That's kind of rediculous.

Do you really have enough videos to warrant that much space? I would be willing to bet you don't even have 60gb of music, videos, pictures and documents on your computer unless you have some sort of tie in with videography in which case it could completely validate the need for 120GB. Anything else and that was money better spent.
Of course watching videos on the ipod screen is not ideal, but it's really not that bad in terms of size - i find getting immersed pretty easy. on versus a computer - i have a lot of other things (such as music and documents) that i prioritize over my movies on my laptop - especially because mine doesn't have a ton of space.

i don't really sleep with it, nor do i use it to jog (i prefer going musicless when exercising) - so barring that it stays in pretty good shape.

and i do have more than 60gb of music,videos,pictures, and documents - thanks.

maybe you should stop trying to read into my decision for getting the ipod when you don't even know anything about me.

These smaller versions of IPod Classic with 4 GB. I am quiet enjoyin it since its awesome =O.

I'd like to have an IPhone too though =S

Never needed an iPod. I got 4gb in my cell phone, which is all that's needed to get the best songs in there. I got around 60gb of music on my computer but I find it kind of redundant to export all of that on another gadget, which is why I don't need an iPod.

My parents just got themselves an iPod classic as a late Christmas present. (120 GB, silver. They could have saved five dollars had they bought it in black, incidentally.)

They gave me the earbuds. The iPod spends most of it's time docked in their new home entertainment system or plugged into the audio jack in one of their cars.

They don't have any music on it that I didn't rip from their existing CD collection, and I'm probably going to show my mom how to use EAC this evening so they can rip the rest of their collection.
The "value" you got for your memory is not really worth it IMO, because its not flash memory. HDD players are so fragile. While it was the best cost efficient memory source at the time, flash memory isn't that much of a price difference now for something that is almost a necessity in any portable device.
Not everybody takes their iPod jogging. My parents are an excellent example of folks who will never notice that their HDD can't take the same physical stress of flash memory. And I really think that you underestimate the robustness of some smaller hard drives. I've seen first hand how durable 2.5-inch (laptop) hard drives are. I've seen them survive drops onto hardwood floors (from inside external enclosures) and survive the ordeal functional, albeit with an interruption in operation. I'd imagine that the iPod would be built to stand similar physical stresses. You'd have to abuse an iPod classic substantially to get it to stop functioning, and generally when people spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of hardware they don't do it for the purpose of having something that they can regularly abuse.
Who needs 120 gigs? 30 is good enough for anyone. Anything more is money better spent. I used to think getting my entire music library (at it's peak almost 60 gigs) on my old player was cool but then I realized I wasn't using the player how it was meant to be used. You might as well just carry around a laptop.
Admittedly, 120 GB is a bit if all you're carrying is lossy music. (Apple decided not to support FLAC, probably because the audio output is more likely to be a quality bottleneck.) However, standards for lossy music have grown. 128 kbps mp3 is pretty rare these days; pretty much all of my music is either 320 kbps or encoded using LAME's V0 preset. My collection of lossy music is easily over 80 GB, and videos also take up quite a bit of space. I also don't think that your suggestion to use a laptop as a portable listening device is a good move. Besides the fact that most laptops are substantially more expensive than the average standalone digital audio player, they also weight considerably more. Besides that, they usually have less battery life, generate more noise and heat, take more time to boot up, and oftentimes sport user interfaces more complex than those of your typical standalone digital audio player. Also realize that laptops do not always superior in terms of storage capacity; my laptop (which is currently a year and a half old) is tied with the iPod classic for storage capacity, and I have to spend part of my laptop's hard drive storing an operating system. (Besides that, HP thought it would be a good idea to ship it with a recovery partition for an operating system I don't use, which I never got around to eliminating.)
Much better than charging $0.99 a song.
Apple has always had the options to buy full albums for prices that work out to less than a dollar per song (often similar to what you'd find in a brick-and-mortar store), and their price model is going to undergo some revisions in the near future (not all songs will cost a dollar each).

That being said, iTunes has been almost painful to deal with. When I went to download it, I was startled to find that the installer was more than 65 MB in size. How did this thing get to be so huge? No installer should be this big, especially one for an application that is required to store music on a device. I wish that Apple would just release a lite version of iTunes that offers only that function. As a music player, it's more clunky than foobar, and as a CD ripping application, it's simply worse than EAC, so I don't see why I should have to waste memory running a program built to be capable of doing tasks that it's not going to be used for. Besides that, it's ugly and from what I can tell there's no way to change that.
My friend had a Zelda game on his TI-89 @_@
My friend had Doom on his TI-89 but it plays at the same pace of a turn-based RPG. I think I'd have more fun sitting with my textbook in front of me, staring blankly into space and fantasizing about playing Tetris Attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)