np: UU - A New Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tangrowth can come in with ease on CB Azumarill's water attacks.
I didn't realize that my team consisted solely of CB Azumarills with Waterfalls ;)

but seriously, that doesn't make any sense, that is why we have a team of 6, not 1. To successfully wall Azumarrill you usually need a bulky water and a bulky grass type and hope they can stay around a while, which is what my team is currently trying to prevent.

I also want to mention that CB Staraptor does this perfect as he can OHKO pretty much everything that doesnt resist Brave Bird and also has a priority attack.

I was just mentioning 1 Pokemon that could resist CB Azumarill's water attacks enough to keep it away. Of course teams will need more than 1 Pokemon to counter another team. Tangrowth is an effective Pokemon at coming in on CB Azumarill and other Physical Pokemon, too.

^

If thats the case then so be it. BL's and NFE's should of been UU from the start. Now they are getting the attention they deserve. I'm somewhat looking forword to NU to. It will defenitely be interesting.
I know we're getting way ahead of ourselves, but the NU tier is going to be a killer to establish. While I don't see many/any Pokemon being banned in UU, if we establish UU like we did OU (pokemon that make the top 80% of usages IIRC) there's going to be a truckload of NFE pokemon that will have to be banned from NU because people are mostly focus on fully evolved Pokemon. However since the start of this test I am starting to see more NFE pokemon being used so maybe this won't be much of a problem when we start NU. (I'm guessing it won't start until 2010 the earliest)

I also agree that there are a lot more strategies being used in this metagame compare with OU. I've seen random pokemon packing Sunny Day/Rain Dance in non-weather teams to combat Hail/Sandstorm teams.

One thing I've noticed is that I've never seen any Hypno and Persian anymore. Are they outclassed badly? Possible NU?
I guess more people are using special walls like Regice now, though I have seen one or two Hypnos :o.

Persian is clearly outclassed by Ambipom in Fake Out + U-Turn ( and he was clearly being used nearly solely as a Fake Outer before new uu )

The reason why Hypno is not used anymore is simply because while it's sp def was passable in the old UU, in the new UU the special attackers just hit too hard and Hypno's typing doesn't really let him resist much. The good news is that since everybody is all worried about Raikou and Shaymin, they all opt to use registeel and regice, which are completely raped by Fire pokes.

I've "screwed" around with Feraligatr quite a bit in the new UU, and it is really worthwhile with this set, made by Twash, that is the "UU Empoleon".

Feraligatr @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Flail
- Waterfall

Bring Feraligatr in on something that can't hurt it, and set up a Substitute, then go on Dragon Dancing. Most of the time, you can get at least 2, then activate the Liechi Berry and Torrent and destroy nearly everything with STAB Waterfall. Flail takes out Shaymin and has great coverage with Waterfall.
Sounds like a hard sweep to stop, thanks for the info ^^

The reason why Hypno is not used anymore is simply because while it's sp def was passable in the old UU, in the new UU the special attackers just hit too hard and Hypno's typing doesn't really let him resist much. The good news is that since everybody is all worried about Raikou and Shaymin, they all opt to use registeel and regice, which are completely raped by Fire pokes.
I actually haven't seen that many Regice recently, but yeah, teams that use them do have to make sure Fighting and Fire moves are covered thoroughly elsewhere. My current team uses Lanturn and Altaria as a primary means of dealing with those threats, so that problem is automatically covered for me.

The thing I struggle to understand is why people think Registeel is such a good counter to Shaymin. Most are 3HKO'd by LO Earth Power, whilst unlike Skymin it has great bulk, is not raped by Ice Punch and is not permanently crippled by Thunder Wave.

Ironically, the team I'm using at the moment uses a Reflect / Rest Raikou and LO Cleric Shaymin, which both beat Registeel quite comfortably (apparently on Shoddy critical hits don't ignore the screens, though I'm not sure that is how they're supposed to work). Some counter.

It seems like shaymin is a problem, has Muk been a decent check? Im gonna try him and see.
Well it can work as a check with its powerful STAB Poison moves, but repeated Earth Powers hurt, so I wouldn't rely on it as a counter. But you probably knew that already.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
43.00% - 50.72% is LO Shaymin's Earth Power against 252/188 Adamant Muk. That means that if Muk comes in on Seed Flare and gets a drop, it's game over (and a 40% chance to not be a counter at all hurts), and if it comes in on Earth Power, there's still a 50% chance to be 2KOed by Earth Power with SR. Specs is a solid 100% 2KO on that same Muk, which makes switching into Shaymin shaky in any case.

I've never seen LO'd Shaymin. They are all use lefties or Choice Specs. If Shaymin is really a problem... I'd just use Jumpluff and/or Muk.

Has anyone tried a Trick Room team yet?
Yes, I'm using one with one bulky sweeper (Porygon2), three Life Orb sweepers (and all of them has Explosion & Destiny Bond combination) and two wall-like TR setupers. It's effective and so many teams are Earth/Fire weak, quite shocking. Camerupt under Trick Room is such a beast. Anyway, it's quite effective, but still heavy stall is troublesome for it. But it works quite well in new UU.

Altaria can come in on Shaymin if it lacks HP ice, and Abomasnow does ok if it lacks HP fire, as air slash fails to 2HKO a special defensive one. On my hail team Abomasnow and Special tanking Glaceon pretty easily worked together to keep Shaymin away. HP fire was like 21% on Glaceon. A defensive Venasaur with sludge bomb might not be a bad check, but I don't know what else it would accomplish.

You should battle me...
If your implying that you use LO Shaymin then you are one of the few. I wasn't saying that no one uses them... its just that they're rare.. Therefore, when considering a counter for her one should only look at common sets. Just my view on it.

A defensive Roserade works pretty well against Shaymin. I switched it into a LO shaymins seed flare, got the defence drop, and it's air slashed still failed to KO and I got the KO with sludge bomb.

Let's see... well Torkoal is still a beast if used right, although it seems people have grown more aware of it's awesomeness and are packing on HP Ground...

other than that i havent been battling as much :(, but im going to make a trickroom team and test them out :)

I personally think Venusaur is the better counter to shaymin, it has 20 more base hp, and only 5 less base spdef, meanwhile having better base defense. It does have less firepower though, so it can only manage a 2hko against most shaymins. Though anything with a 4x resist to grass can beat shaymin, Charizard and Moltres can pretty much take anything shaymin dishes out and threaten back with flamethrower. Meanwhile earth power can't him them and none of the hidden powers except for rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)