The MetaNite (RMT)

I'm pretty bad a team building, but I finally made a team with an amazing win ratio. In a short time I've had some pretty memorable matches with this team, and I want only to improve it so please help me out with that.

Name: Apollo (M)
Species: Infernape
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Mild;
EV spread: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Learnset:
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power Ice

Description: A good way to "fake out" the opposition, who think I am the standard suicide lead. Against other suicide leads such as Azelf or Aerodactyl, I go straight to Metagross to finish them off with Bullet Punch. A trickier lead is Metagross. If I U-turn first and they switch, they don't have an Occa Berry. If they attack, they don't care about dieing and are probably Scarfed. If they set up their rocks, they do have an Occa Berry. Depending on my opponent, I may just use that or go straight for a Fire Blast.

Later in the game, Infernape's type-coverage becomes execellent to clean up the foe. I chose the Greek God Apollo to represent Ape because he is the god of the sun and martial arts.

Name: Hermes (M)
Species: Scizor
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EV spread: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpD / 8 Spe
Learnset:
- Bullet Punch
- SuperPower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Description: There is no standard team without Scizor. The moveset is quite standard, but the EVs are a little different. I saw them in Lee's RMT thread, and decided to test them out. They work.

I prefer Choice Band to the standard Sword Dance set, because I can revenge kill more threats with the immediate power of Bullet Punch. I also adore U-turn for scouting, and it easily chips half of Blissey's or almost half of Swampert's Hit Points off. Hermes because Scizor makes a good transition Pokemon, and utility all around.

Name: Artemis (F)
Species: Jolteon
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
EV spread: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Learnset:
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Grass
- Shadow Ball
- Light Screen

Description: My last Choiced Pokemon. Jolteon tends to be my late-game clean up wizard. It is incredibly fast, and hits incredibly hard. Swampert is ALWAYS a pain in the ass for me, which is why I'm considering Hidden Power Grass. Jolteon also gives me a much wanted Electric immunity. Next, Light Screen?_? On a Choiced Pokemon? Well yeah. Early in the game I use it when I'm pretty sure an Electric immunity (such as swampert) is going to switch in. It is pretty useful.

I call it Artemis because it is precise and powerful. It chooses something to kill and does it. Jolteon also has a twin, which would be Vaporeon or Flareon, much like Artemis (although I've already got Apollo). All around, a reliable Pokemon.

Name: Gaius (N)
Species: Celebi
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV spread: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Learnset:
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Grass Knot
- Earth Power / HP Fire

Description: Celebi is my most expendable member. I needed something that resisted Earthquake, and could set up Stealth Rock. Celebi was it and is also my main counter to Swampert. However the weakness to Fire and Ice is not welcome. I already have plenty of weaknesses to those attacks and I didn't really need another, so if anybody has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Earth Power vs HP Fire is a tough one. For one think I don't know how to get Hidden Power Fire on a legendary so I've been using Earth Power. Gaius is mother earth, which seemed perfect for Celebi. She is also swallowed up by darkness and Celebi hates Dark.

The MetaNite

Name: Ares (N)
Species: Metagross
Item: Occa Berry
Nature: Adamant
EV spread: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 12 Def / 12 Spe
Learnset:
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch
- Bullet Punch

Description: Metagross is usually seen as a lead nowadays but he still works well as a wall-breaker. It survives just about all unboosted attacks, thanks to Occa Berry. Speaking of which, I originally used Choice Band but 4 Choice Pokemon just required too much prediction. With an Occa Berry I can survive Fire Blasts from Salamence and Heatran and kill them with the appropriate move. You may also notice no Explosion. I prefer Bullet Punch because it is just a great finisher move and I need the type coverage from ThunderPunch.

Ares is the God of war and thus Metagross fits that role perfectly with the 3rd highest base attack stat of all non-ubers. Also notice that the first 4 letter of his name are Meta.

Name: Zeus (M)
Species: Dragonite
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EV spread: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Learnset:
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Thunder Wave

Description: Go Dragonite! I was using a sweeper set but that didn't work. Then I came to this. Extremely underestimated, completely unseen, support Dragonite is an amazing Pokemon. Latias has recently been brought into the metagame, and it largely outclasses this set. However resistance to Bug, and most of all access to Heal Bell makes this set more useful for me. When a pesky Rotom burns Scizor when I try to Pursuit it, a Zapdos paralyzes my superfast Infernape, its Dragonite to the rescue easily putting me back into the game.

I prefer going physical with Dragon Claw rather than Dragon Pulse. Makes no sense to be seeing as Dragonite has 236 SpA and 304 Atk. Zeus is king of the Gods, Dragonite is king of my team. His last 4 letters are Nite. Together its MetaNite, my name.

How I made this team
To help you guys understand my thinking, I'm writing this section of the thread. I based my team off of this: "If your opponent doesn't know what you're doing, you can't lose".

Well first I started out with Dragonite, again. I've been trying for awhile now to make a great team based around Dragonite. It is my favorite Pokemon, and it is generally unexpected. After the more offensive sets failed out, I had my other Pokemon picked out.

Metagross and Dragonite resist all but 3 attack types, the most common of which is Electric. I came Jolteon, and gave it Specs. This particular Jolteon can OHKO Infernape, Gengar, Azelf, Lucario, Salamence (after SR), Scizor (after SR), and lots more while giving me an immunity to Electric. The other two attacks are Dark and Ghost, which Scizor resists.

Infernape, my lead, fools most opponents seeing as I'm Scarfed. They think I'll go for the Fake Out, but I just U-turn to break Focus Sashs. Celebi, my last Pokemon was sort of just thrown in. I had Gyarados but a noticable Stealth Rock weakness was showing. It rarely swept too. That makes my team.

Threat List
The top 24 Pokemon, and the Pokemon I can use to counter or easily revenge kill them. The guys in RED I have problems with.
1. Scizor- Metagross, Scizor, Infernape
2. Salamence- Metagross, Infernape
3. Heatran- Dragonite, Infernape
4. Gyarados- Celebi, Jolteon
5. Metagross- Metagross, Infernape
6. Infernape- Jolteon, Dragonite
7. Tyranitar- Metagross, Scizor, Infernape
8. Blissey- Scizor, Infernape
9. Swampert- Celebi
10. Lucario- Metagross, Celebi
11. Zapdos- Dragonite, Jolteon
12. Gengar- Scizor, Dragonite
13. Celebi- Scizor, Infernape
14. Jirachi- Metagross, Infernape (SubCM)
15. Azelf- Scizor, Metagross, Dragonite
16. Bronzong- Infernape
17. Starmie- Scizor, Jolteon
18. Vaporeon- Jolteon
19. Flygon- Scizor, Infernape
20. Machamp- Celebi
21. Breloom- Celebi, Infernape, Scizor
22. Kingra- Celebi
23. Skarmory- Jolteon, Infernape
24. Suicune- Jolteon, Celebi

In OU, Cleric using is not the way to go. The free turns for the opponent are not worth it. Dragonite could be used to destroy the opponent much easier with a different set. As you say Celebi is expendable, I would recommend RestTalkGyara. It takes status for you and can pull out a sweep after the bulky water of the opponent's team is down. Makes a great partner with SpecsJolt. It will sweep after stalling, and by the way, two SR weaks with recovery is not a glaring weakness at all :)

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Impish
Intimidate
252 HP/224 Def/32 Speed
Rest
Sleep Talk
Dragon Dance
Waterfall

Now that that's cleared up, we need Stealth Rock back on the team. That Infernape set is iffy, so the standard LeadApe will be great for the team. It gives Stealth Rock, a strong Fake Out, and a powerful early game attacker.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Naive
Blaze
64 Attack/252 SP. Attack/192 Speed
Fake Out
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Close Combat

Ok, the last thing to do is change up Dragonite. RestTalkGyara is going to own physically based attackers. You have Scizor to set up on weak Special Attackers, but I think Dragonite can become a back up man to either sweep or set up someone else for the sweep. Light Screen Dragonite is going to give the team the special bulk it needs to beat opposing teams, and can often sweep on its own as it can set up on its counters with ease. Only Dragon Claw is needed because it is so easy to set up Dragon Dances that Dragon Claw will shred anything, even steels.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Adamant
Inner Focus
252 HP/60 Attack/196 Speed
Dragon Dance
Light Screen
Roost
Dragon Claw

These changes make your team a very bulky offensive team, which is one of the hardest to stop.

Good Luck with your team.

-friar04-

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
The IV's for hp fire celebi are (shoddy order): 30/18/31/30/30/31

My preferred celebi moveset is: grass knot/hp fire/recover/twave

The reasoning being grass/fire has amazing type coverage, and when paired with twave, nothing likes to switch in on it, ie bulky ground/waters who are immune to twave are hit hard by grass knot. You can even lure and kill scizors. I've just found that celebi doesn't make a great stealth rocker. Earth power is only really for heatran, whom you don't even outspeed, so you'd rather just hit them with twave on the switch than earth power, as twave can cripple anything else that happens to switch in. I think you could just switch SR over to metagross. I'd put it over tpunch, as you already have celebi to cover gyarados.

I'd also prefer you have a stat up sweeper, but that's entirely up to personal preference.

I pretty much like this team, but, you do have a few problems.

This first I'd like to point out is Dugtrio can cause some major problems to this team by taking out Metagross and Jolteon in one hit. Jolteon only has one move that can hit Dugtrio hard >_>. Dugtrio also has a 41% chance of being OHKO'd by Metagross's Bullet Punch (79% after Stealth Rock damage) while Metagross is OHKO'd 100% of the time on average without Stealth Rock :s.

I, myself have tried Choice Scarf Infernape as a lead and trust me, all it does is just take away the Focus Sash on something as they setup Stealth Rock >_>. I've also found other Infernape leads Fakeing me out as I U-turn and setting up Stealth Rock as I switch to something else, if I go with Close Combat, it'll just do the same thing >_>. Late game, it makes an awsome revenge killer, but, other than that, it's pretty much dead weight. I'd really reccomend a lead Heatran as it can get Stealth Rock up and help with Scizor (which this team actually has a few problems with, Choice Banded U-turns actually hurt Metagross). Then, you can replace Celebi with something along the lines of Latias to help with Dugtrio, Heatran and Swampert (at times >_>). It can also provide some support in the form a Dual Screens, Thunder Wave (you can give Dragonite Heal Bell if you do go with Thunder Wave), Safeguard and Wish, just so Metagross isn't totally raped by it. Roar/Wish/Reflect(Thunder Wave)/Dragon Pulse can really help this team out. An AgiliPassing Zapdos can help Metagross get up on its feet (or whatever the fuck those things are) and sweep much easier since of course, you don't want to waste that Occa Berry on a Heatran that outsped you or by that Zapdos who survived your Thunderpunch after Stealth Rock. You can also place a spinner in that spot to keep Dragonite from being KO'd by powerful Special moves.

I'm also noticing how this team lacks a lot on the Physical defensive side which gives Metagross, Salamence, Lucario and Sczior permission to utterly rape your team. My only suggestion is getting rid of Jolteon for something like Rotom-H to cripple those sweepers or, just KO them.

Finally, on Metagross, consider Rock Slide as an option over Thunderpunch, it's 2HKOing Gyarados, Salamence and Zapdos who will cause problems otherwise. Also, try a Shuca Berry, you already have Dragonite taking Heatran's Fire Blast, why not give Metagross some assurance against Earthquake users like Gyarados, Rhyperior and Salamence.

@ friar04 : I'm testing those sets right now. The Suicide lead Infernape is not really doing what I want it to, and Dragonite rarely sweeps. It usually dies to a critical hit or gets frozen. Gyarados is working okay though.

@ Scofield : Thank you for the IVs! It is definately better than Earth Power. I can Stealth Rock on the switch to Scizor, then kill the Scizor which is really cool.

@ Darkerkrai : Metagross is actually EV'd to survive a CB EQ from Dugtrio. It only has a 33% chance to being killed. Latias does sound nice. If Infernape is an awesome revenge killer then it's not a dead weight.

I'm really not lacking at all on the physical defensive side. If any I'm lacking on the Special Defensive side. Metagross has 130 base Def, Celebi is EV'd to take Earthquakes and Fighting attacks. Even Scizor has a respectable defense stat. Unfortunately, a 2HKO on Gyarados isn't enough because it will 2HKO me first.

cool team. on Jolt, have you ever considered the LO version? I mean your reasoning for light screen is okay, but what if something like TTar or Metagross or any relatively bulky pursuiter switches in? Jolteon is gone without even you denting the opponent. I think if you want Light Screen, you can dump it on Scizor and run a SD set with SD/BP/Brick Break/Light Screen, or something similar, then Jolt can run LO with Charge Beam/T-Bolt/HP Grass/Shadow Ball as an all offensive set that hits way harder than specs after one Charge Beam boost. Alternatively Celebi could do, i just don't see why Light Screen on Jolt is good.

I've been testing Life Orb Jolteon and it either sweeps or dies horribly. It usually doesn't hit hard enough when I want it too.

Light Screen on Jolteon was just a filler anyway, not really needed at all.

I just realized my team is very weak to Rain Dance teams. Is there anyway I can counter that? Thank you.

One quick suggestion: Change out Dragon Claw on Dragonite for Draco Meteor. It has a much higher power (even coming from his lower attack stat), and I'm guessing you're not staying in too much anyways, given you are a support Pokemon. It's better to take a big chunk out of the opponet's HP in one go than to hang around chipping at it while they kill you or set up.

Also Celebi should be called Demeter, the Greek goddess of the Earth/Nature, in staying with your naming theme. Jolteon honestly seems more of a "Zeus" to me than Dragonite, given his Thunderbolts and Dragonite's support role. Dragonite would then be Athena, goddess of wisdom and war, frequently known for her tactics. Seems like a good fit for a supporting Pokemon, no? Metagross seems like he'd be a better fit for Haephestus, the armorer, and Infernape just shouts "Ares" to me. Those are just suggestions though, and obviously irrelevant for the power of your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)