CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 5 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This thread is open for discussion of existing ingame abilities, and possible new abilities for the pokemon. New abilities should be considered with caution.

Our Pokemon so far:

Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.
Type: Steel / Ghost

I think that, depending on the physical/special bias that hyper cutter/clear body might be an ok ability. with salamence running all over the place it might be useful.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Frisk would be extremely useful. With it you can scout out opponent's items. Allowing you to determine an appropriate counter for that pokemon.

Here's my two cents on a couple of abilities our scout could have:

Frisk: This reveals the Pokemon's item. Very handy ability to have, especially if you discover a Choice item! This goes great with Pokemon that run multiple movesets and therefore will carry a different item for each.

Forewarn: Revealing moves is always a good thing, but sometimes this ability doesn't reveal the move you want it to.

Therefore, and this is a little brave of me... I wish to propose a slightly altered Forewarn (can't think of a new name for the ability yet). Instead of revealing the foe's most powerful move, it could reveal a move at random. It could help for Pokemon with multiple movesets and there's a chance it'll reveal THE move the set is based around. It can, in theory, give away the moveset before your opponent even has a chance to act... maybe.

That's just my two cents and my opinion on a couple of abilities.

It could also have Wonder Guard, although that would make it broken. For non-broken abilities, Frisk is, in my opinion, the best.

EDIT: NO LEVITATE

EDIT 2: This isn't serious, but since it has such a good typing, maybe Shadow Tag? Terrible for a scout.

How about An ability that copies the opponent's item, call it something like Collect or compromise. You could know the opponents item and use to your advantage. When you switch it would copy the new opponent's item, and with stealth rock resistance that could work great.

P.S. Think of some better names.

How about An ability that copies the opponent's item, call it something like Collect or compromise. Think of some better names.
Interesting... but I can see a bit of a disadvantage to that. Copying a Choice Item. It may not help the scout if it copies the wrong Choice Item.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
frisk is almost a no brainer concept wise. trace can do alot of good, instantly knowing which ability your opponent is using.

Although Frisk has my full support right now, some other possible abilities could Trace or Download. But these would really only help for certain pokemon seeing as how a good battler, more often than not, knows if his opponent is physically or specially defensively based. And Trace is more of a sweep breaking ability, but it could tell the user more information about pokes like Syclant or Stratagem. But again, Frisk has my support at the moment.

Intimidate will help cause switches

Insomnia and Water Veil/Magic Guard (prolly would change the name of this one) give it an extra status immunity. We could even try a hybrid ability

Yeah i agree with frisk as the ability, for a pokemon that's meant to scout out things about the opponent frisk is just obvious, as Mr Goodbar said Intimidate would cause switches revealing members of the oppenents team. I'm saying Frisk or Intimidate

Thanks for the support Killanotha1, but I think I can agree with your opinion on Frisk. Scouting items without any drawback is just too good to pass up.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Frisk can give you information on what your opponent is going to do without them doing anything. That's really helpful: guaranteed information.

Forewarn can be just as good, though. And, in cases where the opposing Pokemon usually runs a certain item homogenously, this can get information Frisk couldn't. Such as being able to tell if your opponent's Ape is an SD variant (Forewarn would tell you about Fire Punch/Flare Blitz) or a MixApe (Close Combat). Granted, Infernape might not be something you'd stay in on, but that's just an example. Also has the same benefit of guaranteed information (if possibly misleading).

trace would be nice, but many, many pokemon only have one ability. and most that have more then one only commonly use one of their choices. an example would be gliscor, which almost always (in my experience) uses sand veil. Frisk seems like a better ability.

Frisk should obviously be at the forefront of peoples minds. This is an information gathering pokemon so should probably have an Ability that supports the Concept.

A -Speed version of Intimidate has been talked about on the server alot. It would lower speed one stage upon switching in which would be very helpful for a scout.
The situations in which it could have use are numerous, but switching into a DDMence is an obvious example in order to threaten Mence out somehow without being outsped.
Scarfed pokemon are easily this way -CAP7 switches into an attack, neutralises the scarf with -Speed Ability and switches out leaving the opponent stuck on one attack with no speed advantage.

Scouting-related abilities:

Frisk: tells you the opponents item, nice for figuring out specs/scarf/band/something else faking a choice item.

Forewarn: Tells you their highest power attack, can be very useful for figuring out which set things like salamence, and scizor are running.

Anticipation: in our case, this tells us when they're carrying a fire or a ground move, not particularly useful.

Download: Tells you which of their defenses is higher, limited but still useful for figuring out whether zapdos/celebi/etc. went physically bulky or specially bulky.

Magic guard
: Helps you switch in and out repeatedly and absorb status.

Natural Cure: Scout without fear of status.

Non-scouting abilities that might be nice:
Flash fire/levitate/heatproof/filter
: These decrease the number of weaknesses we have forcing the opponent to show their heavy hitters early.

Forewarn: Revealing moves is always a good thing, but sometimes this ability doesn't reveal the move you want it to.

Therefore, and this is a little brave of me... I wish to propose a slightly altered Forewarn (can't think of a new name for the ability yet). Instead of revealing the foe's most powerful move, it could reveal a move at random. It could help for Pokemon with multiple movesets and there's a chance it'll reveal THE move the set is based around. It can, in theory, give away the moveset before your opponent even has a chance to act... maybe.

That's just my two cents and my opinion on a couple of abilities.
I like that idea quite a lot,

I find it a bit interesting how on one of these CAPs (fidgit I think) Frisk was raised but shot down because in the old D/P metagame knowing an opponent's item wasn't terribly important.

However, with the nearly ridiculous amount of Trick leads in the Platinum metagame Frisk is definitely a useful ability. It would also make this CAP a good lead, most likely.

So for now Frisk has my support.

Frisk
Frisk would allow you to get a safe drop on many Pokemon like Specs Lucario, Scarftran, and can often show you if you can set up on a Pokemon or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)