Aggressive Switching: an OU Warstory

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Zorbees: Just a typical ladder match, turned into a fairly good battle. The finish is closer than the score indicates, though I won't give anything away other than that. With two half-equal teams, and similar playstyles, this match made for a very interesting bout. Now, onto the teams and formatting.

Wakalord: This is my first warstory, and it is a bit unique. I've been testing a new team, having recently gained confidence with a decent amount of wins on my test account. It was my last battle for the night, having been disheartened by a haxxy loss prior to this battle (fuck you, freeze!)
After the battle, Zorbees asked my permission to write a warstory. I gave him the ok, and asked who was to write it (of course, since he was the one who had asked me, it probably meant he wanted to do it, but it was around eleven at night so my brain was running pretty slowly!) Anyways, he suggested that we do "dual comments." It sounded fun to me, I haven't heard of anybody else doing this in a warstory, and I hope you guys enjoy!

Wakalord's team:

Afklol's team:

Things regarding Wakalord will look like this.
Things regarding afklol will look like this.
Afklol's comments will look like this
Wakalord's comments will look like this
Sandstorm, Leftovers, and Stealth Rock damage has been removed.
Nicknames will be used once then removed.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause

Wakalord sent out Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran).
afklol sent out Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Heatran's attack!

A Gyarados vs. Heatran lead matchup. I am running the classic BulkyGyara, so I don't have enough speed to outrun and Taunt the predicted Stealth Rock. I decide to Waterfall to knock him down to his predicted Focus Sash.

Hmm...A Gyara lead. I have actually seen a few CBGyara leads, which could promptly OHKO my Heatran (Naive, Shuca Berry) with Waterfall. I could switch to Latias, but if I mispredict and he is running an Offensive DD set, I could be in big trouble. Knowing that I'll outspeed either way, I decide to set up some Stealth Rocks.

Heatran used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Gyarados used Waterfall.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 71% of its health.
---
: 29%
: 100%
---

Wow, I didn't expect BulkyGyara to be so weak. I guess that's what happens when you haven't used him in a while. I decide to switch to Tyranitar to set up Sandstorm and to take laughable damage from an Intimidated Explosion.

Well, I'm sure it is a BulkyGyara now as I see no Life Orb recoil. I see a lot of lesser players use Explosion immediately after setting up the rocks, and I know it wont kill off Gyarados, and he is likely to switch anyways. I go to Jolteon, as an Earthquake is unlikely and if he Dragon Dances I'll outspeed him anyways. I could of gone to Latias, but I don't want to deal with Scizor or some other annoying Pursuiter damaging Latias early on, as she has been working best lategame in most of my battles.

Wakalord switched in Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon).
afklol switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar).
---
: 88%
---

This is a good matchup for me. Even SpecsJolt can't do too much to Careful Tyranitar, so I expect a switch. I decide to use my most reliable attack, Crunch.

Well, this isn't good. I assume Tyranitar is of the Choice Band varient and will either use Earthquake or Stone Edge, so its time to switch!

Jolteon used Baton Pass.
Wakalord switched in Garchomp (lvl 100 Flygon).
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Flygon lost 69% of its health.
---
: 31%
---

I expect either an Earthquake, or a U-turn if he is scarfed. I go to Gyara to get an Intimidate and resist his attacks.

Crap,that didn't go according to plan. I could Earthquake, but it wont kill that bastard, so I'll go with U-Turn. If he decides to stay in I can go to Scizor and force it out, or he switches I can go to an appropriate counter.

afklol switched in Gyarados.
Gyarados's intimidate cut Flygon's attack!
Flygon used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Gyarados lost 6% of its health.
Wakalord switched in Jolteon.
---
: 69%
---

After seeing Leftovers, I discounted SpecsJolt and figured he runs Substitute to go with Baton Pass. I make a risky move and Waterfall figuring he'll try to Sub on the switch.

No suprise here. Due to the fact I had used Baton Pass earlier probably made Zorbees aware that this wasn't an offensive Jolteon. He is likely aware I can use Substitute/Baton Pass to scout out Tyranitar's attacks and keep switching between Pokemon, and as such, wants to remove Jolteon as soon as possible. I don't want to risk overpredicting, and launch a Thunderbolt. If I'm wrong and Tyranitar comes in, I can always use Heatran as a sacrifice.

Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost 69% of its health.
afklol's Gyarados fainted.
---
:0% FAINTED
---

Ouch, my first mistake of the game, and I'm now down 6-5. I lost one of my better physical defenders and a good switch-in to Flygon. I send out Tyranitar knowing he can't do anything to me, and I decide to Stone Edge instead of Crunch this time to mix it up.

Well that worked out rather well! I got rid of an easy Flygon switch-in. And here comes the...

afklol switched in Tyranitar.

...Yeah
I decided to scout out the attack with Substitue instead of Baton Passing outright. If he Crunched I could use Heatran as death fodder and send Scizor in. Zorbees would be forced to use something other than Gyarados to take a hit. Earthquake could go to Latias, and Stone Edge to Jirachi.

Jolteon used Substitute.
Jolteon lost 25% of its health.
Jolteon made a substitute!
Tyranitar used Stone Edge.
Tyranitar's attack missed!
---
: 75%
---

I'm not going to let him pass a free sub to something, I have to stay in and Stone Edge again.

Looks like that didn't matter at all! A lucky miss leaves my Substitute intact. I could pass to Jirachi, but Stone Edge will still break the Substitue, so its off to Scizor!

Jolteon used Baton Pass.
Wakalord switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
The substitute took damage for Scizor!
Scizor's substitute faded!
---
---

He brings in Scizor to scare me away with Bullet Punch or U-turn. I figure he'll U-turn, so I go to Machamp to resist the hit.

I have still only seen two of Zorbee's Pokemon, and I don't want to risk a Magnezone switch-in if I Bullet Punch, or a Rotom if I Superpower. Time to U-Turn!

afklol switched in Machamp (lvl 100 Machamp ?).
Scizor used U-turn.
Machamp lost 25% of its health.
Wakalord switched in Heatran.
---
: 69%
: 29%
---

Machamp against Heatran, I figure I can take a hit since I am bulky and he isn't boosted by an item, so I stay in and DynamicPunch for the KO.

Heatran used Flamethrower.
Machamp lost 53% of its health.
Machamp used Dynamicpunch.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 29% of its health.
Wakalord's Heatran fainted.
---
: 16%
: 0% FAINTED
---

For whatever reason I decide to sacrifice Machamp here instead of switching to Flygon on the Thunderbolt. I guess I did it just incase he would set up another Substitute on the switch.

Looking back, I didn't have much to risk by using Explosion. I suppose Tyranitar could have come in, or he could of sent in a Ghost, but instead I overpredict and Flamethrower the four armed freak. Not the biggest mistake I could have made, but oh well. By this point I am very thankful Zorbees hasn't used Stealth Rock or Spikes, as Jolteon has been skittering in and out a lot this game.

Machamp lost 16% of its health.
afklol's Machamp fainted.
---
---

Rinse and repeat, Bring in Tyranitar against Jolteon, attack his sub, and stay in while he brings in a resist. I decide to Stone Edge again since the only resist I have seen is a weakened Flygon.

No reason to not attack. He could switch to Tyranitar, but I could still scout out his attacks. An electric blast is loosed from the sky and the Machamp scurries back into the safety of its Pokeball.

Jolteon used Substitute.
Jolteon lost 25% of its health.
Jolteon made a substitute!
The substitute took damage for Jolteon!
Jolteon's substitute faded!
---
: 63%
: 50%
---

Fortunately it hits this time. I could predict his switch and go to something else but I don't know what he'll bring in.

No suprise here. Run Jolteon, run!

Jolteon used Baton Pass.
Wakalord switched in idc (lvl 100 Jirachi).
A critical hit!
Jirachi lost 48% of its health.
---
: 58%
: 63%
---

Jirachi. I hate this thing. It has so many different sets that I don't know what to expect. I figure its physical as it came in on Tyranitar, but who knows honestly? I go to my own Flygon to threaten with Earthquake.

Well, I'd rather had Stone Edge crit Jirachi than have Gyarados crit my Heatran. I haven't seen a Heatran or a Latias yet, and I almost never see a battle where at least one of them aren't on a team. Heatran will laugh at Iron Head and could heavily damage all of my Pokemon, while a Latias could really screw me up if it runs Substitute. But, not if Jirachi has anything to say about it! I could U-Turn, and send in Flygon, who's Choice Scarf will allow it to deal with both of them, but I'm still not ready for Flygon to die, and if I get stuck on Outrage I'll be vulnurable to a revenge kill. Sooo...

afklol switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Jirachi used Thunder Wave.
---
: 94%
: 64%
---

That worked better than the expected Iron Head. I'm going to predict a switch and U-turn out to a counter.

Well, that sucked. It seems most all Flygon run Choice Scarf these days and I assume this holds true for Zorbees' as well. If he decides to Earthquake Jirachi may be out of commission but I'll have a free switch to either Latias or my own Flygon.

Flygon used U-turn.
Jirachi lost 14% of its health.
afklol switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Jirachi used Iron Head.
Scizor lost 14% of its health.
---
: 57%
: 74%
---

Ugh, I mispredicted again. Fortunately it wasn't costly this time. I brought in Scizor to threaten with a CB U-turn (as well as to resist an Iron Head) which is what I do here.

Jirachi takes the hit like a man (?) and faces down the metal monstrosity that is Scizor. I'm almost certain he will U-Turn, so its time to let Scizor back in with his lovely Bug resistance. You've been so patient Scizor. You're such a good Pokemon ^^ NOW GO FUCK SHIT UP!

Jirachi used U-turn.
Scizor lost 8% of its health.
Wakalord switched in Scizor.
Scizor used U-turn.
Scizor lost 37% of its health.
afklol switched in Flygon.
---
[Wakalord]: 66%
[afklol]: 63%
---

He U-turns to his own Scizor first, so I can go out to a counter. Unfortunately, Gyarados and Machamp are both gone. I bring in Flygon because I think I can take a Bullet Punch and KO with Earthquake.

With Zorbees' main answers to Scizor down and out, he's apparently forced to use Flygon. I didn't know if Earthquake would OHKO, and being that it was past eleven P.M. I was too tired to run calcs.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
A critical hit!
Flygon lost 88% of its health.
afklol's Flygon fainted.
---
:66%
---

Ouch, down to three pokemon now. My best answer to Scizor remaining is my own Scizor, so I bring him in and Superpower.

Scizor's iron fists of hax beat Flygon into the ground. That was quite helpful! In retrospect this wasn't a terribly important critical hit. If Flygon KOd with Earthquake or a Fire move I could have simply brought in Latias. Her Life Orb Surf would of killed everything but Jirachi, whom wasn't threatening to sweep my team anyway.

afklol switched in Scizor.
Scizor lost 27% of its health.
Scizor used Superpower.
Scizor lost 63% of its health.
Wakalord's Scizor fainted.
Scizor's attack was lowered.
Scizor's defence was lowered.
---
[afklol]: 24%
[Wakalord]: 0% FAINTED
---

I got the KO, but my attack is down. We're getting into the later stages of the game, so I predict him to go for another KO with Thunderbolt. Once again, I bring in Tyranitar.

There isn't a reason to switch out. Jirachi and Latias are both capabe of handling Tyranitar, and I might as well soften up his Scizor as much as possible.

Tyranitar lost 14% of its health.
---
: 50%
: 59%
---

I take it easily with plenty of HP to spare. I Crunch now that Scizor (and Heatran) is gone, figuring it is unresisted.

Not suprising. I know he is going to Crunch, he can't Earthquake because he knows Flygon is just waiting for such a mistake, and Stone Edge is resisted by Jirachi. Thankfully, Crunch isn't going to do much to my little star.

Jolteon used Baton Pass.
Wakalord switched Jirachi.
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Jirachi lost 36% of its health.
---
: 59%
: 28%
---

He brings in Jirachi, who can take a Crunch and threaten a KO with Iron Head. Predicting an Iron Head, I go to my own Jirachi so I can finally set up some Stealth Rocks and punish his switches.

I still had no idea what Zorbees' last Pokemon was, but had no incentive of doing anything other than ordering Jirachi to bash its iron skull into my opponent.

afklol switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Jirachi used Iron Head.
---
[afklol]: 80%
[Wakalord]: 34%
---

I run the standard ScarfLead Jirachi, but not in the lead spot. I decide to SR even though I am Scarfed, figuring Jirachi isn't much of a threat.

A Jirachi. Well, it could have been worse. I have no idea what set it is running. Its probably a Scarfer, most are these days, though I'm suprised he hasn't sent it out sooner. If he kills off Jirachi, I'll just get a free switch to Flygon or Latias.

Jirachi used Stealth Rock.
Jirachi used Wish.
Jirachi made a wish!
---
[Wakalord]: 40%
---

Oy, Wish. Now Jirachi is going to be healed up to 100% and I can't do a thing about it. I go to Scizor as he is my best answer to Jirachi left.

That worked out pretty well. Jirachi was faster than me, so I'll go with Thunder Wave. If for some reason he sends in Tyranitar or Scizor, I'll be able to kill it off anyways, and Scizor's Bullet Punch will do neligible damage.

Scizor is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
The wish came true!
Jirachi restored 50% of its health.
---
: 97%
: 12%
---

A minor nuisance, as Scizor is alread slow. I look at his health and calculate that he can come in on Stealth Rock one more time. I go back to Jirachi to resist Iron Head and TrickScarf his Jirachi to cripple him.

afklol switched in Jirachi.
Jirachi used Iron Head.
Jirachi lost 13% of its health.
---
[afklol]: 61%
[Wakalord]: 100%
---

Not much to say here, that turn went as expected.

Jirachi used Trick.
Jirachi obtained Leftovers!
Jirachi obtained Choice Scarf!
Jirachi is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
[afklol]: 67%
---

As did this one. Thunderwave is annoying but probably minor as all three of his pokemon that I've seen outspeed me already. I plan to Iron Head the switch knowing he won't Thunder Wave again.

I didn't expect a Trick, but this isn't terrible. Assuming my Jirachi switches out and comes back in later, Iron Head will still kill Scizor and Tyranitar if they switch in, and Zorbees' Jirachi will have to deal with massive Flinch/Para hax.

Wakalord switched in Uber (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Jirachi is paralysed! It can't move!
---
:82%
: 73%
---

So Latias is his last Pokemon. Iron Head would have hurt but not KO'd. I decide to take a hit and U-turn to Tyranitar.

I was expecting an immediate switch to Tyranitar, but Zorbees had different plans. I didn't want to eat a possible U-Turn or Ice Punch so I switch back to Jirachi.

Wakalord switched in Jirachi.
Jirachi is paralysed! It can't move!
---
---

Ugh, another parahax. Hax has been pretty one-sided, but so far only the Scizor crit on Flygon was major. I guess I'll see what he does and then U-turn away.

Jirachi used Wish.
Jirachi made a wish!
Jirachi used U-turn.
---
: 86%
: 47%
---

Seeing Wish, I know he can't atack me since he's scarfed. I Crunch knowing it can KO any of his remaining pokemon.

I should have used Iron Head, but apparently my brain was half-asleep. Oh well. Tyranitar will eat any of my remaining Pokemon with his fangs of fury. Jolteon has done an excellent job this battle, but its usefulness was at end. It wouldn't KO either Tyranitar or Jirachi, and Scizor could pound it with Bullet Punch. Adios.

Tyranitar used Crunch.
A critical hit!
Jolteon lost 38% of its health.
Wakalord's Jolteon fainted.
---
: 47%
---

Wakalord switched in Flygon.

He sacrifices Jolteon and brings in Flygon. Nothing can take an Earthquake, and I decide Tyranitar is the most useless member of my team, so I sacrifice him.

Flygon used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 24% of its health.
afklol's Tyranitar fainted.
---
: 25%
---
Wakalord: gg
Wakalord switched in Jirachi.
Jirachi lost 18% of its health.
---
: 1%
: 62%
---

If it wasn't already, it is officially lategame, and with his switch-out of Flygon to Jirachi, my fate is sealed. Scizor is forced to stay in as he is killed by Jirachi, then my Jirachi will be KO'd by Flygon.

Jirachi comes in to tank the Bullet Punch, and the rest speaks for itself.

Jirachi lost 19% of its health.
Jirachi used U-turn.
Scizor lost 1% of its health.
afklol's Scizor fainted.
Wakalord switched in Flygon.
---
: 43%
: 19%
---

He brings in Flygon for the Final Blow. Not much to say.

afklol switched in Jirachi.
Flygon used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 73% of its health.
afklol's Jirachi fainted.
Wakalord wins!
afklol: gg
Wakalord: gg

And with that, the game is over. The 3-0 score is no indication of how close this game was, because Flygon was almost dead, Jirachi was crippled, and I had answers for Latias towards the end of the game. Onto the Slops and Props.

Props:
-Wakalord for a great match.
-Wakalord's Jirachi for annoying the crap out of me.
-Flygon for getting kills lategame.

Slops:
-Scizor's crit on my Flygon.
-Gyardos dying so early

Most of my battles are laughably one-sided. I'll either predict really well and dominate or be completly off of my game and get my ass handed to me. Or some hax fucks up what could have been a quality game. But this was one of the closer and more fun games I've had recently.

Props:

-My Flygon, for winning me the game.
-Zorbees' Tyranitar, for forcing a lot of mindgames.
-My Jirachi, for doing what it does best, annoying the fuck out of my opponent and being a great team supporter.
-Zorbees, for formatting this Warstory and being a great opponent.

Slops:

-My Scizor for critting Flygon.
-Zorbees' Jirachi, for not getting Stealth Rock up sooner.
-My Heatran, for not exploding on Machamp like he should have.
-Zorbees Gyarados, for dying so early!
-My Jolteon, for not using Substitute the first time I saw Tyranitar. It took a big bite out of Flygon.
-My Latias, for sitting on its ass.

I hoped you guys enjoyed this unique warstory as much as we did battling and writing it!

Edit: can a mod add ": An OU Warstory" to the subject please?

good war story and like you said alot closer then it makes out you both took us thought what you where thinking which is what its all about i cant wait for the nest one

btw scizors BP would have ko'ed without crit from ym experances

I decided to stop reading after you thought lead heatran ran focus sash.

EDIT:
I'll take a look later and consider actually reading it if I see enough comments endorsing this war story.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I decided to stop reading after you thought lead heatran ran focus sash.

EDIT:
I'll take a look later and consider actually reading it if I see enough comments endorsing this war story.
Don't be so condescending. Focus Sash is a usable option on a lead Heatran, and I've seen several players using it, but that's besides the point. By not reading on you missed out on a really good warstory, as well as likely offending the writers.

Thank you both of you for an enjoyable read :). Quite often when people decide to co-narrate, it ends up being one person putting in lots of effort and giving in depth comments and the other just coasting along. This wasn't the case here - both of you did a good job narrating and made the whole read a pleasant experience. The battle was tight, the formatting was clear, and the comments were entertaining. Good job :).

Don't be so condescending. Focus Sash is a usable option on a lead Heatran, and I've seen several players using it, but that's besides the point. By not reading on you missed out on a really good warstory, as well as likely offending the writers.
Some people have used it?
That would certainly make it reasonable to assume the possibility of a focus sash.
I've never seen one before (I've never seen anything other then shuca, and sometimes choice items). I've not been playing that much recently, and I guess it shows a lot more then I thought it did. Clearly, I was wrong, and as soon as I'm done with this post, I will read the war story (especially considering the positive ratings so far).
Again (this time aimed directly at both authors), sorry for my earlier post.

Focus sash is definitely a decent option on lead heatran as an EQ with shucca berry can still do around 80% to heatrans. Focus sash lets you take hits from a lot more other pokes such as lead gyara.

Decent warstory I guess. Decent game. Didn't really hook me in that much though. Mind you that usually takes a very good writer writing with a strong narrative.

I really liked this warstory =)

It was really close and reminded me of my thought process when handling Flygon and Jirachi, which give me just as much trouble :P

I like the fact that it was close, just not a completely off the wall ending. I empathised (sp?) with it more and I found the dual commentary interesting while not too overdetailed.

I give it 4 Stars out of 5 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)