Hitmontop [4F]

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there a reason that Rest is not slashed in on the rapid spin + foresight? It's incredibly effective on a stall team when its only purpose is to spin and provide a threat via fighting type attacks. At the very least Rest plus a heal beller / aromatherapist is in order. Something like Altaria is appropriate as Hitmontop takes the Rock attacks directed at Altaria, and Altaria takes special hits aimed at Hitmontop.

Also as far as CB is concerned, I'm less impressed by CB Mach Punch with technician as I am with a bulky physical attacker. Especially one that takes hits better than CB Hariyama with less EV investment, and is faster to boot. The beauty of Mach Punch is not in its power, but with the "guaranteed damage" hook that it gets when used in conjunction with Fake Out. Alone, it's much less impressive. If there's going to be a CB Set (and there ought to be), intimidate should be the primary option.

I'd mention Rest on the first set (the spinner) opposed to Stone Edge in the last slot. I mean, chances are Hitmontop will be taking Toxic Spikes status as soon as it comes in to spin, which Rest would help alleviate. Additionally, Rest allows Hitmontop to constantly come in on the Regis without worry, and continually spin their efforts to get rocks on the field. Hitmontop is common on stall, so it should be easy to remove the sleeping status as well with a cleric.

Edit: Didn't read your post LN :P. Agree with him.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you don't decide to put Rest on the first set, I highly recommend mentioning having a Wish-passer on the team to help Hitmontop stay longer in the game. Everytime I decided to use a Hitmontop Foresight set, I paired it up with Clefable so it can actually stay longer, chances are you'll be taking enough damage and toxic spikes can really ruin you.

@ Rest:

It never occurred to me to use Rest on Hitmontop, but I'll add it asap as a slash to Sucker Punch.

@ CB:

Well Hariyama has higher attack, general bulkiness, and better resistances than Hitmontop for a "bulky CBer". I really haven't seen anyone address how it is anything other than OO because it isn't that "good", and Hariyama outclasses it mostly as well.

How is it outclassed? We've all pointed out Hitmontop's advantages- significantly better physical defensive capabilities (after Intimidate) even with less investment, a higher base speed, Mach Punch (still a great move worth using, even if you don't use Technician) and Pursuit are all great reasons to use bulky Hitmontop over Hariyama. Technician is obviously a great reason to consider it too, but I would agree with LN that Intimidate should be the primary option.

The fact that Hariyama has higher attack, the elemental punches and Thick Fat may be good selling points to use Hariyama over Hitmontop, but you can't use them to discount CB Hitmontop when there are several very good reasons to use Hitmontop over Hariyama, depending on the individual needs of your team. I've used Choice Band Hitmontop several times and had success with it, and judging by LN and CIM's responses, I'm not the only one.

I find that's the only reason it should be in the analysis, and isn't good enough to deserve its own set. Have you tested the Choice Band set? Once you do you'll see what I mean. It's almost purely outclassed by Technitop.
I really think he's right here. Fake Out plus a respective priority move probably does more than a single banded priority move.

Pursuit and Rolling Kick should be mentioned for Technitop IMO. Pursuit can play mindgames with those expecting a switch from fake out.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Other Options]

<p>Hitmontop can use many other sets effectively, but it is simply outclassed by the more offensive Fighting-types, as Hitmontop outclasses them for bulky Rapid Spin sets. So while Hitmontop has a nice Attack stat, and can possibly use a Choice Band set, it’s usually done better by Hariyama, because it is outclassed offensively and defensively. A Choice Scarf set could seem like a good option, with Hitmontop's very impressive movepool, however this set is almost always done better by Hitmonlee, due to Hitmontop's much weaker Attack stat. However, a fast Technician boosted Pursuit is always nice.</p>

<p>Toxic can work on the Rapid Spin set, but with Foresight, Hitmontop has a better way to hit Ghost-types than merely with Toxic, as most of them will Rest it off anyway. Endeavor and Mach Punch could work out nicely, but with priority omnipresent, and Snover and Hippopotas somewhat present, odds are it won't work well. The same applies with a Reversal set, though Hitmonlee does that better in any event.</p>

<p>A Focus Punch set is better left to Hariyama who can make massive Substitutes, has a higher base Attack, and has nicer resistances with Thick Fat. Hariyama also does a bulky Choice Band set better than Hitmontop, again because of its higher Attack, bulkiness, and resistances.</p>
The second line is just repeat. You're better off combining the Focus Punch comments with the CB comments, saying that Hariyama can pull off a CB and Focus Punch set better thanks to its better defenses, HP, and Attack, and thanks to Thick Fat.

Also, on the Bulk Up set, why isn't Sucker Punch mentioned? It sounds like you're using Bullet Punch for neutral type coverage, but Sucker Punch is better for such a job, even holding higher base power (and hitting Ghost-types harder).

How is it outclassed? We've all pointed out Hitmontop's advantages- significantly better physical defensive capabilities (after Intimidate) even with less investment, a higher base speed, Mach Punch (still a great move worth using, even if you don't use Technician) and Pursuit are all great reasons to use bulky Hitmontop over Hariyama. Technician is obviously a great reason to consider it too, but I would agree with LN that Intimidate should be the primary option.

The fact that Hariyama has higher attack, the elemental punches and Thick Fat may be good selling points to use Hariyama over Hitmontop, but you can't use them to discount CB Hitmontop when there are several very good reasons to use Hitmontop over Hariyama, depending on the individual needs of your team. I've used Choice Band Hitmontop several times and had success with it, and judging by LN and CIM's responses, I'm not the only one.
I'm not sure if CIM tested it exactly (because he was talking about Technician Mach Punch), but there are people who are still going both ways, this is obviously not a one-sided matter.

I'm basing my views solely on my testing experience with it, because I'm really not impressed (I tested with both Technician and Intimidate).

With Mismagius and Spiritomb around to wall Fighting-types, I really dislike Choice Fighting-types in this tier unless you're using something like Scarf Lee who can sweep late game with 372 Atk and awesome speed. Hariyama is really only usable because of his resistances and monstrous attack stat, though Intimidate is pretty awesome as well.

Intimidate is good, but to be honest, what exactly does it make up for with Hariyama's already massive bulkiness? What can it freely switch into that Hariyama can't? And finally, does it outweigh the loss of Thick Fat and most importantly 25 base attack?

I'm on the fence still personally. I'll probably add it in anyway though, I just want to know the answers to these questions first because maybe I'm just bad with CB top.

The second line is just repeat. You're better off combining the Focus Punch comments with the CB comments, saying that Hariyama can pull off a CB and Focus Punch set better thanks to its better defenses, HP, and Attack, and thanks to Thick Fat.

Also, on the Bulk Up set, why isn't Sucker Punch mentioned? It sounds like you're using Bullet Punch for neutral type coverage, but Sucker Punch is better for such a job, even holding higher base power (and hitting Ghost-types harder).
Thanks, fixed both. I forgot about Sucker Punch on the Bulk Up set, that's actually the move I was using when I tested it so Idk why I forgot..

I'm not sure if CIM tested it exactly (because he was talking about Technician Mach Punch), but there are people who are still going both ways, this is obviously not a one-sided matter.

I'm basing my views solely on my testing experience with it, because I'm really not impressed (I tested with both Technician and Intimidate).

With Mismagius and Spiritomb around to wall Fighting-types, I really dislike Choice Fighting-types in this tier unless you're using something like Scarf Lee who can sweep late game with 372 Atk and awesome speed. Hariyama is really only usable because of his resistances and monstrous attack stat, though Intimidate is pretty awesome as well.
I wouldn't say Mismagius is particularly reliable as a check to Fighting-types- obviously, if you mindlessly spam CC, then it might cause problems, but it can't take a Stone Edge at all. I agree that it's not a one-sided matter though- sorry if I'm coming across as if it is.

Intimidate is good, but to be honest, what exactly does it make up for with Hariyama's already massive bulkiness? What can it freely switch into that Hariyama can't? And finally, does it outweigh the loss of Thick Fat and most importantly 25 base attack?
I could very easily reverse that question- why is CB Hariyama worthwhile, when Hitmontop takes physical hits better with Intimidate, has priority in Mach Punch and Sucker Punch, much higher base speed, as well as Pursuit? When does the extra attack even come in useful?

I don't really think specific examples are needed tbh, seeing as block calculations with specific OHKOes and 2HKOes are really little more than theorymon, seeing as nothing is ever at 100%, particularly the likes of Hariyama and Hitmontop that lack recovery. Defensive potential is more important imo- I mean, we all agree that Hariyama's higher attack is a major selling point to use it over Hitmontop, despite not having discussed the extra KOs it gets that Hitmontop doesn't. For example, even if both Hitmontop and Hariyama could only 4HKO an 100% Nidoqueen with Close Combat, Hariyama's higher base Attack would be more useful against a Nidoqueen at, say, 30%, which it can finish off, but Hitmontop can't. The same applies to Hitmontop's defensive capabilities. Regardless, here's a few where Hitmontop's extra bulk would make a difference at 100%.
Using spreads that balance maximise both physically and specially defensive potential, and taking Intimidate into account for all Hitmontop calculations-

Code:
Adamant CB Absol Psycho Cut on 0/124 Hariyama- (70.40% - 82.98%)
Adamant CB Absol Psycho Cut on 252/0 Hitmontop after Intimidate- (57.89% - 68.42%)

Adamant CB Absol Night Slash on 0/124 Hariyama- (26.34% - 31.00%)
Adamant CB Absol Night Slash on 252/0 Hitmontop after Intimidate- (21.71% - 25.66%)
Hitmontop fares much better against CB Absol than Hariyama. Assuming Stealth Rock is up, Hariyama can only reliably switch into Absol's Night Slash once, unless you have very reliable Wish support. If minimum damage is rolled three times, then Hariyama can come in reliably twice, but this is very unlikely- the cumulative damage of two switches into Stealth Rock and three Night Slashes is 97.77% - 111.75%. Hitmontop is much more effective- not only does it take less damage, allowing it to survive four Night Slashes and three switch-ins to Stealth Rock, but CB Mach Punch OHKOes Absol the majority of the time, whereas Hariyama is outsped and has to take two attacks before it can threaten Absol in return.

If you mispredict and switch into a Psycho Cut, Hariyama comes off very badly- it is outsped and 2HKOed, but assuming you switch out immediately, Hariyama is left in KO range of a CB Night Slash. Seeing as any team using Hariyama is likely to be using it as their primary bulky Dark resist, you are left severely disadvantaged. Hitmontop hates Psycho Cut too, but at least it can force Absol out with Mach Punch, and still switch into Night Slashes later on.

Hitmontop is much more reliable against Swords Dance Absol too. Hariyama doesn't have a chance, as even without Psycho Cut Absol can OHKO it with a +2 Life Orb Superpower. Mach Punch forces Absol to attack Hitmontop with a resisted Sucker Punch. SD Absol is pretty difficult to switch into, but Hitmontop probably does it better than anything else in the tier.

Code:
Adamant CB Honchkrow Superpower on 0/124 Hariyama- (58.28% - 68.76%)
Adamant CB Honchkrow Superpower on 252/0 Hitmontop after Intimidate- (48.03% - 56.58%)

-1 Adamant CB Honchkrow Superpower on 0/124 Hariyama- (38.93% - 45.92%)
-1 Adamant CB Honchkrow Superpower on 252/0 Hitmontop after Intimidate- (31.91% - 37.83%)
The attack drop here means that Hitmontop will always survive two Superpowers, whilst Hariyama will always be 2HKOed assuming Stealth Rock is up. Obviously switching either of these two into a Superpower is far from ideal, but Hitmontop can avoid being hit twice against a weakened Honchkrow, as Mach Punch does (43.11% - 51.03%) to a 0/0 variant.

Code:
0 Atk Steelix Explosion on 252/0 Hitmontop after Intimidate- (71.38% - 84.21%)
0 Atk Steelix Explosion on 0/124 Hariyama- (87.18% - 102.80%)
Relatively self-explanatory... both Hitmontop and Hariyama will commonly switch into Steelix as they can 2HKO with CB Close Combat whilst taking very little damage from anything bar Explosion.

Code:
Adamant CB Rhydon Earthquake on 0/124 Hariyama- (75.06% - 88.81%)
Adamant CB Rhydon Earthquake on 252/0 Hitmontop after Intimidate- (61.51% - 73.03%)
CB Rhydon will easily 2HKO both Hitmontop and Hariyama with Earthquake if you mispredict, expecting a Stone Edge or a Megahorn, but Hitmontop still wins by virtue of its higher speed.

I see your point, even though I'd never personally use it. So the set would look like:

[SET]
set name: Choice Band
move 1: Revenge / Close Combat?
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Sucker Punch / Mach Punch
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Band
ability: Intimidate (/ Technician?)
nature: Adamant
evs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe

I think any Technician set is completely outclassed by TechniTop, and Close Combat is counter-productive with Intimidate.

Revenge, again, is negative priority, so it completely negates Hitmontop's speed advantage. Even if CC (or boosted Revenge) is going to 2HKO something, you're at least going to get it off first, meaning you're hit by 1 attack at -1 defense instead of 2 attacks at -0 defense.

Also, full power on switch-ins. Use Close Combat.

Well that goes against half the reasoning to include CB Hitmontop in the first place, getting hit with lower defenses is never a good thing, which is why Hariyama can actually use Close Combat effectively-ish (it's slow enough to go second).

I'll still add it in I guess, but the more you go into the "Frail Fighter" catagory, the more you're completely outclassed, imo. The main advantage Hitmontop had was Intimidate, which is countered by Close Combat, so its only advantage is priority really.

Are the other slots ok?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well that goes against half the reasoning to include CB Hitmontop in the first place, getting hit with lower defenses is never a good thing, which is why Hariyama can actually use Close Combat effectively-ish (it's slow enough to go second).

I'll still add it in I guess, but the more you go into the "Frail Fighter" catagory, the more you're completely outclassed, imo. The main advantage Hitmontop had was Intimidate, which is countered by Close Combat, so its only advantage is priority really.

Are the other slots ok?
Wouldn't a faster Hitmontop be able to force things like Absol etc out, then hit the opposing switchin twice instead of once with Close Combat?

Wouldn't a faster Hitmontop be able to force things like Absol etc out, then hit the opposing switchin twice instead of once with Close Combat?
Well it doesn't really force Absol out with a CB set:

Absol's +1 LO Psycho Cut vs CBTop:

591 Atk vs 226 Def & 301 HP (70 Base Power): 340 - 402 (112.96% - 133.55%)

Hell, even with Superpower + Stealth Rock:

591 Atk vs 226 Def & 301 HP (120 Base Power): 292 - 344 (97.01% - 114.29%)

The more calcs I do, the more I want to be using Technitop :/

Absol is a bad example, because Sucker Punch would be the main option on the set for coverage sake and BP's sake. I'd say something along the lines of forcing stuff like Hariyama and weakened-ish Rhydon's out is a good reason for Close Combat.

So you guys are for a set like this:

[SET]
move 1: Close Combat / Revenge
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Sucker Punch / Mach Punch
ability: Intimidate / Technician

The second options are basically just for use with Technician.

EDIT: on a side note, me and Jrrr have the exact same amount of posts as of now :o

I think what Jrrrrrrr is getting at is that Hitmontop can switch into Absol as it uses Swords Dance, Night Slash, Sucker Punch or something, threatening Mach Punch, forcing Absol out. But instead of using Mach Punch, hit the switch-in harder with CC.

Revenge isn't great imo- unless you're using Technician, you're not really threatening switch-ins at all.

I'm thinking-

move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Sucker Punch
ability: Intimidate

With Technician, Pursuit and maybe Revenge in Set Comments. Mach Punch is much more useful than Pursuit imo- Pursuit would be more useful on a Technician set. I personally would never use CBTop without Mach Punch- the reliable priority is invaluable.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think what Jrrrrrrr is getting at is that Hitmontop can switch into Absol as it uses Swords Dance, Night Slash, Sucker Punch or something, threatening Mach Punch, forcing Absol out. But instead of using Mach Punch, hit the switch-in harder with CC.
Yeah, this.

Also: 433 Atk vs 156 Def & 271 HP (40 Base Power): 240 - 284 (88.56% - 104.80%)

Even Jolly CB Hitmontop with Intimidate will always OHKO Absol with Mach Punch after Stealth Rock. Absol isn't really as big a deal as everyone is talking about, I'd be more concerned with things like Mismagius, Altaria, Roserade, Venusaur...you know, things that will actually switch into Hitmontop instead of things that have paper thin defenses and will obviously switch out.

Revenge isn't great imo- unless you're using Technician, you're not really threatening switch-ins at all.

I'm thinking-

With Technician, Pursuit and maybe Revenge in Set Comments. Mach Punch is much more useful than Pursuit imo- Pursuit would be more useful on a Technician set. I personally would never use CBTop without Mach Punch- the reliable priority is invaluable.
Ok, I just thought that Pursuit was one of the arguments for having CB Top, but Priority is good enough I guess.

Alright, I'll try to write it up without making it sound bad >.>.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a pretty solid base Attack stat, and more importantly the ability to switch (no hyphen) into many common threats, Hitmontop can run a Choice Band set effectively. With Intimidate, Hitmontop can come in on physical attackers like Rhydon, Golem, Hariyama, and even Absol, and from there it will definitely find an opportunity to hit something hard with a STAB Close Combat.</p>

<p>Stone Edge is a great move for any Fighting-type, granting excellent coverage with Close Combat. Mach Punch and Sucker Punch are (removed "a") given; they provide near-perfect coverage and valuable priority. Mach Punch takes care of Pokemon like Absol and Rock Polish Rhydon, while Sucker Punch lands a heavy hit on Mismagius and Espeon.</p>

<p>If you aren't a fan of the defense drops from Close Combat, you can always use Revenge with Technician. Technician also gives Mach Punch a nice boost. Pursuit is another alternative attack to use with Technician, and can prove really helpful for trapping Ghost-types like Mismagius who would otherwise just switch out.</p>

<p>Since Hitmontop lacks a strong attack with which to hit Pokemon like Slowbro, Uxie, or Slowking (removed "with"), Pokemon that can rid your opponent of these defensive Psychic-types is much appreciated. Spiritomb is also a problem, since Hitmontop cannot deal much damage to a fully defensive variant without getting burned or stalled out of PP. Absol can easily Night Slash its way through these Psychic-types and Spiritomb, even if it gets statused. Blaziken is good for luring out and KOing Slowbro, and it also makes a good switch-in to Spiritomb, resisting Dark Pulse and being immune to Will-O-Wisp. Scyther is good at Pursuit trapping these Pokemon, and also lures out Rhydon and Regirock, giving Hitmontop a great chance to switch in and deal damage.</p>
I assume the other sections have already been checked. In a couple places there was a lot of repetition, so I took some liberties with the wording.

Nitpicks aplenty:

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin + Foresight
move 1: Foresight
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Sucker Punch / Stone Edge / Rest
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop is one of the most reliable users of Rapid Spin in UU, making it a good choice for a team in need of entry hazard removal. In UU, Spiritomb is commonly used on teams who rely on residual damage to defeat the opponent due to Spiritomb’s incredible bulkiness and ability to block Rapid Spin. However, Hitmontop is one of the better ways around it, due to the fact that Hitmontop possesses the move Foresight. Foresight allows Hitmontop to basically nullify Spiritomb's Ghost-type attribute, and hit it with Rapid Spin or a super effective STAB Close Combat. Even when used against Pokemon such as Rotom or Mismagius, Foresight allows Hitmontop to reliably Rapid Spin (removed “against them”). With Intimidate lowering your foe's Attack, Hitmontop will get many chances to safely switch into Stealth Rock users such as Steelix and spin away the hazards.<p>

<p>To make Hitmontop a relative threat to your opponent (other than threatening with entry hazard removal), Close Combat can be used with either Sucker Punch or Stone Edge for coverage. Close Combat and Sucker Punch work well with their near perfect coverage and allow Hitmontop to revenge kill effectively. However, Stone Edge is a nice attack to hit some common Flying-types super effectively, such as Altaria and Moltres. Rest can be used in the last slot as well, because with Hitmontop constantly being hit with burn or poison among other damage it may have taken, it can definitely appreciate the full recovery. Close Combat is preferred over other Fighting-type moves because of its high power, perfect accuracy, and the fact that Hitmontop is usually slow enough to go second against harder hitting foes, making the drop in defenses not impact Hitmontop as much.</p>

<p>Pokemon with 4x weaknesses to Stealth Rock essentially rely on Hitmontop to clear the field before they enter battle. Without Hitmontop's Rapid Spin support, Pokemon such as Charizard, Moltres, and Yanmega will start the battle with 50% HP, which is a bad thing in most circumstances. With Hitmontop on their team however, they can freely switch in and cause some serious harm to your opponent. If Hitmontop uses Rest, Pokemon like Altaria, Chansey, or Roserade with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy help lessen the time that Hitmontop is asleep.</p>

[SET]
name: TechniTop
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Close Combat / Revenge
move 4: Bullet Punch / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Technician

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Technician, and a whole slew of priority attacks, Hitmontop becomes one of the best revenge killers in the UU metagame. Basically, Hitmontop switches into a given Pokemon that it can KO, and uses Fake Out to cause it to flinch and deal damage. After Fake Out, the opponent's Pokemon should be in KO range for Mach Punch. Close Combat or Revenge is used as a STAB attack, (removed “while”) both of which carry various advantages and setbacks. Close Combat can dent more physically bulky Pokemon such as Steelix for more immediate power, however, Revenge has 90 base power because of Technician, or 120 base power if used after being hit, making it a very nice option when compared to Close Combat, which lowers Hitmontop's useful and above average defenses. Keep in mind that Revenge has a negative priority, making you attack last, though. Bullet Punch is there to basically be able to revenge kill Ghost-types, and Pokemon that resist Mach Punch more effectively. However, Stone Edge is still a viable option, to hit Pokemon such as Charizard and Moltres who effectively wall this set, while it also hits Crobat on the switch.</p>

<p>After all of your opponent's Pokemon are weakened and their counters are removed, Hitmontop can utilize its strong priority attacks and proceed to sweep late game.</p>

<p>This offensively oriented Hitmontop is very easily walled by Pokemon such as Weezing, Spiritomb, Slowbro, and basically any other defensive Poison-, Ghost-, or Psychic-type. Blaziken is a great Pokemon for getting rid of Spiritomb, because not only can Blaziken catch Spiritomb with a Fire Blast on the switch, it can also switch in with ease into Will-O-Wisp or Dark Pulse variants. Blaziken can also lure and 2HKO Slowbro as well. Unfortunately, the weakness to Flying-type attacks is a bad thing in the UU metagame because of Crobat's strong Brave Bird, and both Blaziken and Hitmontop share this weakness. To get Crobat out of the way, one can try many tactics. Stealth Rock can be used on a Pokemon such as Regirock, so that Crobat is forced out and will not stay in to Taunt, and Crobat has a little more trouble switching in with Stealth Rock in play. Shaymin and Yanmega are decent Crobat lures, and both can take Crobat out on a predicted Psychic, but these plans are not fool proof by any means, so keeping a Crobat counter (such as nearly any Rock-type) is ideal.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Revenge / Mach Punch
move 3: Sucker Punch
item: Leftovers
ability: Technician

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Hitmontop can use Bulk Up to increase its already high Attack and decent Defense, making it very tough to take down. With Hitmontop's defenses so high, it would be a shame to waste them with Close Combat, but luckily Hitmontop has Technician to utilize the move Revenge to its fullest potential. The strategy starts by scouting your opponent's counters, and then weakening them with strong STAB attacks. If your opponent either does not have a good counter, or has a counter that relies on physical attacks, you can proceed to Bulk Up right away. With a couple of Bulk Ups, Hitmontop can sweep the opposing team with Revenge for STAB, Sucker Punch for coverage and priority, and Stone Edge to hit the rest of the Pokemon who resist Revenge and Bullet Punch. If you wish, you may use Mach Punch instead of Revenge, even though it isn't nearly as powerful or reliable.</p>

<p>Pokemon such as Magmortar help pave the way for this Hitmontop set, because its main counter is none other than Slowbro, as it packs massive HP and Defense stats, resistances to Fighting-type attacks, and a reliable recovery move. Uxie is tough as well, (removed “and”) but Pokemon such as Honchkrow can Pursuit Uxie into oblivion, as long as Uxie doesn't carry Thunderbolt. A Choice Scarf Honchkrow or Drapion can be of use as well, to trap and KO Espeon who will be a prime revenge killer for Hitmontop. Weezing and Spiritomb also put Bulk Up Hitmontop between a rock and a hard place, making Hitmontop either switch out and lose its boosts, or stay in to get burned. Absol is a nice lure for these Pokemon, as it can Swords Dance on their switch-in and 1-2HKO them with Psycho Cut and Night Slash respectively.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a pretty solid base Attack stat, and more importantly the ability to switch into many common threats, Hitmontop can run a Choice Band set effectively. With Intimidate, Hitmontop can come in on physical attackers like Rhydon, Golem, Hariyama, and even Absol, and from there it will definitely find an opportunity to hit something hard with a STAB Close Combat.</p>

<p>Stone Edge is a great move for any Fighting-type, granting excellent coverage with Close Combat. Mach Punch and Sucker Punch are given; they provide near-perfect coverage and valuable priority. Mach Punch takes care of Pokemon like Absol and Rock Polish Rhydon, while Sucker Punch lands a heavy hit on Mismagius and Espeon.</p>

<p>If you aren't a fan of the defense drops from Close Combat, you can always use Revenge with Technician. Technician also gives Mach Punch a nice boost. Pursuit is another alternative attack to use with Technician, and can prove really helpful for trapping Ghost-types like Mismagius who would otherwise just switch out.</p>

<p>Since Hitmontop lacks a strong attack with which to hit Pokemon like Slowbro, Uxie, or Slowking, Pokemon that can rid your opponent of these defensive Psychic-types is much appreciated. Spiritomb is also a problem, since Hitmontop cannot deal much damage to a fully defensive variant without getting burned or stalled out of PP. Absol can easily Night Slash its way through these Psychic-types and Spiritomb, even if it gets statused. Blaziken is good for luring out and KOing Slowbro, and it also makes a good switch-in to Spiritomb, resisting Dark Pulse and being immune to Will-O-Wisp. Scyther is good at Pursuit trapping these Pokemon, and also lures out Rhydon and Regirock, giving Hitmontop a great chance to switch in and deal damage.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Hitmontop is one of the best Rapid Spinners and tanks in the UU environment. Hitmontop always appreciates Pokemon who can take Will-O-Wisp from its main counter, Spiritomb, and also works great with Pokemon who can abuse the Stealth Rock free battlefield, such as Charizard, Moltres, and Yanmega. With Toxic Spikes on the field, Hitmontop has a hard time Rapid Spinning, because its health will slowly dwindle (removed “down” due to redundancy). Having a grounded Poison-type such as Nidoking or Drapion can help with this, as well as possibly an Aromatherapy or Wish supporter such as Chansey.</p>

<p>Hitmontop has trouble sweeping or supporting with certain Pokemon in the way. Pokemon such as Slowbro wall Hitmontop all day, while threatening with a STAB Psychic. A good way to remove Slowbro is to use a Pokemon such as Magmortar, Nidoking, or Blaziken. These wall breakers hit very hard with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power, and will always 2HKO Slowbro even if Fire Blast is used first. Claydol is difficult for Hitmontop to get around, and it’s a common Stealth Rock user. In order for Hitmontop to get Rapid Spin off and not take a STAB Psychic, Pokemon such as Honchkrow can switch in and trap Claydol, being immune to both of its STABs and easily KOing Claydol with Pursuit or Night Slash.</p>

<p>Hitmontop provides some decent resistances, as well as good defensive stats, but there are still many Pokemon who can easily fire off strong attacks to get an easy KO. Fast Psychic-type Pokemon such as Espeon can easily switch in to most attacks (though not too often), and OHKO Hitmontop back with a STAB Psychic. Pokemon such as Slowbro, Claydol, and even Hypno can also send Hitmontop packing. So with all of these Psychic-type Pokemon sending out STAB attacks at Hitmontop, it is to no surprise that Honchkrow makes one of the best partners for Hitmontop, as mentioned in the previous paragraph, but as a defensive counter as well with its immunity to Psychic. Hitmontop is also weak to Flying-type attacks, which many switch-ins carry. Crobat is an example of a Flying-type switch-in (removed comma) who will send strong Brave Birds at Hitmontop. Regirock, Rhydon, Relicanth, and other Rock-types can take these Flying-type attacks with ease. Steelix and Registeel are (removed “also”) helpful teammates as well, resisting both Psychic and Flying-type attacks which will be commonly aimed at Hitmontop.</p>

<p>Luckily for Hitmontop, it covers at least some of the Pokemon seen with its counters. Slowbro, Espeon, and Claydol are commonly seen with Pokemon such as Registeel, who Hitmontop easily handles. However, Pokemon like Roserade and Crobat are also common with Slowbro, so carrying a decent counter for these Pokemon, such as Registeel, works wonders for your team. Spiritomb is often used on teams with Omastar, and that’s because it’s the most durable Ghost-type to block Rapid Spin. So when you send Hitmontop in to Rapid Spin the Spikes and Stealth Rock off of the field, be sure to use Foresight first if you are expecting a Ghost-type to switch in. (everything else in this sentence was stated in the past. It also sounded awkward to me, which led me to remove it. Your call, though.)</p>

<p>Hitmontop is a very versatile Pokemon (removed comma) in that it can sweep and (emphasis (e.g. italics) should be placed on the “and”, I’m just unsure of the appropriate tag) support effectively, and there are a couple strategies one may use to take advantage of this. For the Rapid Spin set, especially if you have no prior knowledge of your opponent's team, it's best to use Rapid Spin (assuming Stealth Rock is in effect to begin with) right away, because people are often afraid of switching their Spiritomb or Ghost-type into a Foresight immediately, and instead send in their "TechniTop" counter, as they have less to lose. Basically, with any Hitmontop set, the idea is to know what’s coming in and to react accordingly; for example, using Rapid Spin when you feel a Pokemon such as Slowbro is coming in, and using Foresight when you think Spiritomb is coming in. On any set, be sure to abuse the Dark-types in the tier, such as Honchkrow and Drapion, who can easily Pursuit many of Hitmontop's counters. You can easily pull off an effective "double switch" strategy, switching to your Dark-type immediately after sending Hitmontop in.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hitmontop can use many other sets effectively, but it is simply outclassed by the more offensive Fighting-types. (removed “as Hitmontop outclasses them for bulky Rapid Spin sets”.) A Choice Scarf set may seem like a good option with Hitmontop's very impressive movepool, however this set is almost always done better by Hitmonlee, due to Hitmontop's much weaker Attack stat. A fast Technician boosted Pursuit is always nice though. A Focus Punch set is better left to Hariyama, because it can make massive Substitutes, has a higher base Attack, and has better (?) resistances with Thick Fat making it easier to set up.</p>

<p>Toxic can work on the Rapid Spin set, but with Foresight, Hitmontop has a better way to hit Ghost-types than merely with Toxic, as most of them will Rest it off anyway. Endeavor and Mach Punch could work out nicely, but with priority omnipresent, and Snover and Hippopotas somewhat present, odds are it won't work well. The same applies with a Reversal set, though Hitmonlee does that better in any event.</p>

[EVs]

<p>These EVs are given to give Hitmontop maximum Attack, to threaten its switch-ins and maximum HP to increase Hitmontop's bulkiness.</p>

<p>The Attack is especially important, even for bulkier sets such as the Rapid Spin set, because it needs Close Combat to do a threatening amount of damage to Pokemon like Spiritomb. Speed is not needed, because almost all of Hitmontop's sets include a priority move, or use Revenge which benefits from going last.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>Hitmontop is often one of the most noticed and used Pokemon out of the three "Hitmons". With its unique ability to Rapid Spin, it has a unique niche, and is constantly a top-tier Pokemon. It is also one of the few solid counters for Absol and Rock-types such as Rhydon.</p>

<p>Hitmontop's HP stat is rather low, however with the help of Intimidate and great defenses, Hitmontop is still rather bulky. With a strong STAB Close Combat or Revenge, strong priority attacks, and Bulk Up, Hitmontop is not only a bulky Rapid Spin user; it’s also a very effective sweeper and revenge killer. If you carry Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock, or just want a Pokemon to absorb Rock-type attacks and revenge kill, Hitmontop is definitely a good choice for your team.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The Rapid Spin set doesn't have a lot of counters per se, because anything that doesn't block Rapid Spin lets it do its primary job. Ghost-types like Rotom, Spiritomb, and Mismagius come to mind as counters, blocking Rapid Spin and being able to burn Hitmontop, or just attack Hitmontop with a strong STAB attack.</p>

<p>Nearly any Psychic-type can deal with Hitmontop, ranging from faster Pokemon such as Espeon to slower and more bulky Pokemon like Slowbro. A STAB Psychic definitely puts a dent in Hitmontop, if it isn't KOed. Crobat and Weezing are great examples of Poison-types who easily counter Hitmontop, even if Crobat has to be wary of Stone Edge. Crobat can put Hitmontop out of commission with its STAB Brave Birds, while Weezing can just use Will-O-Wisp to put Hitmontop in a very weak state.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)