[The Earth] been here 6,000 years, long before anybody had environmental laws

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, this is just something I found interesting, but there are two ludicrous statements here:

A) That Earth has been around for only 6,000 years
B) That the fact it's still here after 6,000 years - only a few hundred of which we've had much impact on - means we shouldn't think about these things

Which part of the statement did you react to first? I saw this on another forum and found it fascinating how many people zeroed in on one and didn't really it was a two hit punch - myself included! I saw the environmental part, but completely missed that he said 6000 years.

Note: Do not argue creationism/evolution or climate change in this topic. There are other active topics for you to do that in. This is more about reactions than anything.

Full Quote
Senator Sylvia Allen said:
I can’t say enough how it’s time that we get beyond and start focusing on this technology we have and move forward into the future so that our grandchildren can have the same lifestyle we have.

This Earth’s been hear 6,000 years — and I know I’m going on and on and I’ll shut up — it’s been here 6,000 years, long before anybody had environmental laws, and somehow it hasn’t been done away with.

We need to get the uranium here in Arizona so this state can get the money from it and the revenues from it. It can be done safely and you’ll never even know the mine was there when they’re done.

So I am for this.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Probably A first, simply because it was first. But B was pretty noticeable...

Though the first fault I picked up on was "here" being misspelled just before 6,000.

Edit: 2,211th post.. kinda interesting, can't wait for 2,222nd.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I pikced up on the 6,000 years part, partially because of the thread name on the front page being something like [The Earth] been here 6,000...

He was probably referring to the fact that homo sapiens have been recording their history in some form for an estimated 6,000 years [a contested point, but that's another discussion]. Regardless, it's a silly statement. I noticed the 6,000 right away.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With leaders like this, its no wonder why Arizona consistently ranks at or near the bottom in every educational category in the US (although maybe its the other way around...education could be impacting the leaders too)

While part B is still laughable (humans have only been outputting enough gasses to impact climate for 150 out of "6,000" years, even by using the most conservative estimate, and already we are noticing a dramatic change in climate patterns...and she thinks that we should continue at this pace because we havent been destroyed yet), part A sticks out like a sore thumb to me as just a blatant lie. Every time I see "Earth" and "6,000" in the same sentence, I cringe a little bit.

Although the one thing I do commend her on is being honest about what she really thinks, even if the whole world is laughing at us right now for electing her to public office. At least we finally have Republicans who want to help make the future better!

The part of the quote that kinda stunned me was the 'so our grandchildren can have the same lifestyles we did'.

?_? how about they have better ones eh

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I reacted more when I read the name of the person who made the statement than the statements themselves.

What a time we live in.

I noticed A first, simply because it was first.

I didn't react that strongly because my close-minded, uber-conservative, turbo-christian father has been trying to feed everyone this shit for years.

Its weird that he can somehow be convinced of such a completely ludicrous idea. Whenever he starts with his "6,000 year old earth" nonsense i close my ears. >_<

I guess I was already just barely thinking about it specifically, but I always read the whole of a question or grouping before beginning analysis, and then my response was something along the lines of "yes, both points are very valid, as the billions of years old sun could kill us any day since we stopped worshiping it!," so I think that means I reacted to both at once!

i read the title of the thread and instantly started fuming. "i thought you were better than this, firestorm" is roughly what went through my head, though lacking some more colorful language.

then i openned the thread...

you could say, that it is not what i expected...

based on the question you asked, i reacted to both at the same time due to the title.

as a side note;lol at alpha/omega for both the post, and the fact that you didn't defend the 6000 years, regardless of your name

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)