Putting Competitive Pokemon in College Application?...

yeah, i think you already made your decision (right?), but i wouldn't put it on. Your other extracurriculars are very appealing, and i doubt an admissions office would have the knowledge to know that "ranking 15th internationally in competitive pokemon" is actually an accomplishment.

on a side note, i actually kind of crafted my UC personal statement (college application essays) around a pokemon metaphor. it turned out to be a clever way to write about myself and give them something unique to read. if you have the opportunity (i don't really know about the ivy league essays) it might be a better idea to weave pokemon (or competitive pokemon) into your essay, as opposed to listing it as an extracurricular. that way, it won't take the space of one of your excellent other activities, but you can still subtly differentiate yourself.

People these days are too concerned with their public image and social status, and therefore tend to avoid admitting their involvement with Pokemon, seeing as most people associate or label Pokemon with children or as children's objects.

I'm not close enough to anything as important as this, so my opinion may be of lesser importance, and my judgment may be clouded by the fact that this is not of real life-affecting importance to me. I might put down something like that, because if you use reasoning, what do you have to lose? I don't think anyone can deny you access to college because of your hobbies or preferences..... If they do, then it may not be the right place for you anyways.... But then again... what could putting something like that down gain you.....? I would have no idea what to do, seeing as though I'm not on the spot, so to speak. This is a very controversial topic... but.... considering everything, if I had the option of putting down something like that, I would not do it.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What purpose does it serve to mention it? That's the question you should ask here.

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm surprised that no one's considered the possibility that the dude reading the college application is actually a HUGE pokemon fan and will accept it regardless of his opinion on you. I mean it can happen right?

Don't put it on. None of the people reading it will be impressed; most of them will either not have heard of it or only remember it as an obsession that swept up their kids a few years ago. Don't include it.

On the other hand, if you have some positions on the tennis or track teams, like captain, co-captain, voted 'most friendly', etc, those are worth including.

This is compounded by the fact that while we know that 15th is difficult to achieve, the readers will say something like, 'but out of how many? 50?'

I totally agree with Phantom IV. The colleges may think that it's some kind of joke or something to that effect and they wouldn't like that one bit.

I put a few funny/stupid things on my common app. last year and things still seemed to work out fine.
Most people who do this are relatively young (just out of college) and will have at least a laugh from what you write but don't expect them to think you're a genius of strategy.

Well, There are two obvious possibilities...

1) They don't know what pokemon is or don't think of it as a strategic game, but more of a childish thing. :(

2) They don't know what pokemon is but think of it as a joke and appreciate your sense of humor. :)

3)They have played pokemon competitively before and know the strategy behind it. :D

So it would be a high-risk low-reward choice in my opinion.

Actually, that is not a bad idea.

Playing Pokemon itself provides no educational value.

Playing Pokemon competitively requires an extensive amount of math (especially when you run damage calcs yourself, and programming Shoddy and whatnot). If you also psuedo-hack (RNG), like myself, it takes math as well.

It can't really hurt your application at all, unless whoever reading it thinks video games are a waste of time.

Playing Pokemon competitively requires an extensive amount of math (especially when you run damage calcs yourself, and programming Shoddy and whatnot). If you also psuedo-hack (RNG), like myself, it takes math as well.

It can't really hurt your application at all, unless whoever reading it thinks video games are a waste of time.
Yeah, except the majority of the math you talk about is done for you using applications. I just punch in numbers in a calculator and get a result, anyone can do it.

They will see it as nothing. Unless one plays Pokemon extensively, you would never think of Pokemon as a strategy game that requires mind power but just another child's game. The chances of the person going over your application knowing the strategy behind Pokemon is extremely slim. They like to know your hobbies, but some you just shouldn't include. :\

Pretty stupid question to ask in the first place.

Unless the administrator people who read the application realize the amount of strategy and skill needed to play in Competitive Pokemon (highly unlikely), listing Competitive Pokemon in an application would probably be more of a negative trait, as they might consider you "childish" and similar things.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Aaand this is exactly where the line will be drawn for any admissions counselor. They would just look and say "why would they mention that they are a video game addict? We have enough of those"

First of all, not really. Running a damage calc yourself is basic arithmetic, there is nothing impressive in that (well, nothing more impressive than your normal student that's passed precalculus). Programming a Pokémon simulator is the exception; if you are Colin Fitzpatrick, Shoddy Battle would be an excellent thing to mention on a college application. RNG abuse is not psuedo hacking.

Most importantly though, no college admissions officer will read "psuedo hacked pokemon" and get that it took "skill". That is, if it did.

It would seem that a large percentage of universities have way more than enough applicants who risk spending all of their free time playing video games. This is a legitimate concern. If you're dedicated enough to a video game that you'd put it on a college app, it would not be a giant leap for them
to guess that you are one to potentially put video games ahead of classwork.

You don't seem like you need any more 'boosts', since your activities (math/science, leadership, track/tennis, violin) seem really well rounded and good. Playing pokemon by itself wouldn't be good (since no one would take the time to research 'competitive' pokemon) but if you write about ways you've contributed to the community or an interesting experience during battling (such as helping a person) then it might be beneficial, though I have little knowledge about you or this community so I can't really say much more.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I put Smogon on my resume and CV. It is an impressive feat of administration/system administration/programming/etc. Unless you actually _did_ something, though, I wouldn't list it. I certainly don't list "invented boah", etc

Don't list it. Trust me, any mention of playing video games is probably bad. Chaos was right to list his leadership/programming role on a popular website, but that's for the leadership/programming that he did. Even if success at pokemon speaks highly of your strategic knowhow, it isn't the kind of thing that will bring prestige to a school should you continue to pursue it or similar things (which is why they want your resume).

You should look plenty impressive to colleges based on what you listed here. Music is a big plus, Math club is a big plus, sports are a big plus, school office is a big plus... I don't remember everything you listed but the punch line is you have a lot of big pluses. Don't risk it all by putting something like pokemon in there, which people on a college review board will only relate to video games, cartoons, and little kids bringing their game boys into restaurants.

I'm not saying success at a particular game isn't an accomplishment, or isn't difficult, or doesn't speak of your talent in certain mental areas; but it's not valued by society, and thus not by college review boards, because it isn't productive. I'm not saying you wasted your time - play is important for our mental well-being, as is competition - but I'm telling you why it will look bad on your resume. If another kid comes with a similar resume but doesn't have pokemon on it, they will say, "well this kid looks good too, but he seems to play a lot of video games, let's pick the other".

To address one of your other concerns, coming across as an Asian nerd can only help you. Colleges want minorities.

Yes, it always comes down to bigger things you can do.
Anyone can play the violin, if they can pluck a string. Anyone can play football, if they are not disabled, anyone can play pokemon or post on a website.
What they look for is grade 5 violin, or played striker for my local football side, or website programer.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To address one of your other concerns, coming across as an Asian nerd can only help you. Colleges want minorities.
In most places, Asians aren't considered minorities anymore.

And race should be irrelevant for this kind of thing anyways. What race you are is completely irrelevant to anything that should matter in the scheme of college admissions, whether or not it works for the benefit of "minorities."

But the whole concept of minorities is a giant contradiction, anyhow. If people really want equality, that doesn't mean somehow getting ahead just because of race even if they're less qualified. If a straight white man has better qualifications than a lesbian black woman, he should get preference; she shouldn't get hired/accepted/whatever instead just because of law, or to make a certain institution "look good" because of "diversity." If white people get treated preferentially, it's racist, but if it happens to minorities, it's "equality." I cannot see the logic in that.

If people really want equality, then "because I'm black" or "because I'm a woman" should not be a part of the equation at all.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Heh, well since we're on the topic, I kind of wonder whether I'd be able to put my tutoring job from smogon on my resume. I don't really know how I'd word that on my resume, but it seems like something that would potentially help me get into concurrent education when I apply for university if I can actually put it on.

I agree with not putting that one just simply plays pokemon competitively on a resume or application though.

I can see where your coming from, but don't add that to your college application. You are probably going to get someone who doesn't play pokemon and looks at it as a "silly video game." They're not going to understand "competitive pokemon play" and it'll negatively affect your chances of getting in. You'd have to describe why you put that down since it falls under the video games category and college applications have a limit on how many words you can add to an application and you don't want half your essay talking about pokemon and getting someone to understand it since there's way too much to talk about on that. And the people looking at college applications only have so many applications to look at. If you're gonna put hobbies, just put down video games ><.

Syberia, you list valid philosophical points, and I agree with you on many of them, but what I'm talking about is how colleges view applications. Anything is better than white, because colleges want to have diverse campuses. They wont see that he's asian and say "man he must have had to overcome adversity and racism to get where he is" but they will look and see that he has some non-white ethnicity, and that will count in his favor. Of course, I think most colleges ask specifically for your ethnicity, so whether or not his activities give away that he is asian is a moot point.

Syberia, you list valid philosophical points, and I agree with you on many of them, but what I'm talking about is how colleges view applications. Anything is better than white, because colleges want to have diverse campuses. They wont see that he's asian and say "man he must have had to overcome adversity and racism to get where he is" but they will look and see that he has some non-white ethnicity, and that will count in his favor. Of course, I think most colleges ask specifically for your ethnicity, so whether or not his activities give away that he is asian is a moot point.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am not putting it down. But I feel like I should address this.

This is very wrong. Asians have it the worst when it comes to college admissions. It is true that schools want diversity, however, they wish to reflect the diversity of America, and try to match up the % of white, black, asian, etc. in their college as there is in the US.

As a result, asians are called "overrepresented minorities", as there are more asians in most top selective universities than there are in the actual united states. If not for the affirmative action that most schools have, which keeps the number of asians between 10-20%, schools would look more like MIT, with more than a quarter of their students being asian. The UCs are similar in that they can't account for race (though they are trying to fight it), and as a result, often have 40% of their population being asian, with UC Irvine topping out at 54%. Whites are affected by affirmative action, but nowhere near to the degree that asians are. In effect, asians are the "new Jews", as Jewish students used to also face quotas when applying to elite universities.

There are plenty of schools that want more asians and do wish to seek them out, and asians do get an affirmative action boost there; however, at the nation's top universities (where most asians want to go), being asian sucks, especially because asians do often fit the stereotype of excelling at math/science, playing violin/piano, etc.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am not putting it down. But I feel like I should address this.

This is very wrong. Asians have it the worst when it comes to college admissions. It is true that schools want diversity, however, they wish to reflect the diversity of America, and try to match up the % of white, black, asian, etc. in their college as there is in the US.

As a result, asians are called "overrepresented minorities", as there are more asians in most top selective universities than there are in the actual united states. If not for the affirmative action that most schools have, which keeps the number of asians between 10-20%, schools would look more like MIT, with more than a quarter of their students being asian. The UCs are similar in that they can't account for race (though they are trying to fight it), and as a result, often have 40% of their population being asian, with UC Irvine topping out at 54%. Whites are affected by affirmative action, but nowhere near to the degree that asians are. In effect, asians are the "new Jews", as Jewish students used to also face quotas when applying to elite universities.

There are plenty of schools that want more asians and do wish to seek them out, and asians do get an affirmative action boost there; however, at the nation's top universities (where most Asians want to go), being asian sucks, especially because asians do often fit the stereotype of excelling at math/science, playing violin/piano, etc.
And see, this is just stupid.

Why is race even required for application in the first place? Like Syberia said, student's should be judged on their abilities and not their race.

Who cares if 99% of students at a college are Asian? If they were better than everybody else that applied, then they deserve to be there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)