Happy Feet [OU]

Objective: The goal here is to give Happy Feet the support he needs to make the other team wet their pants 8)

Play Style: I tried to go for bulky offense here. Gliscor and Rotom-h can hold off as tanks for a bit, while also acting as checks against threats like Gyarados and Lucario. Scizor is there to net me those revenge kills, and scouting with U-turn when appropriate. Roserade and Heatran work great in tandem with each other, often setting up toxic spikes and stealth rocks within the first few turns. After the opposing team is weakened, Empoleon comes in. As this team isn't stall, I usually try to play around threats by switching in what beats it and sacrifice Pokemon accordingly if the outcome appears to be advantageous. However, I usually avoid sending in Empoleon too early on in the game, as I have found that it works better as a surprise.

Team at Glance:

Weaknesses/Resistances:

Entry Hazards:

Spikes: Rotom-h and Gliscor are immune, the rest take Spikes Damage

Stealth Rock: Empoleon takes 1/2 damage from Stealth Rocks, the rest take neutral damage (not looking so good =/)

Toxic Spikes: Every team member is immune.

Effectiveness: This team is currently hovering around 1400, so I thought I would come here for some advice.

Euphy (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes

EVs/Item/Nature: Nothing much to be said about the Evs and Nature, as it's the standard 252/252 spread. I chose to use Focus Sash instead of a Choice Scarf, because Empoleon has a much easier time dealing with its water-type counters with two sets of Toxic spikes layed out.

Move Set: As mentioned already, Empoleon likes his toxic spikes to beat his water-type counters. Sleep powder allows me to beat most bulky leads, save for those Metagross that hold a Lum Berry. I prefer Leaf Storm for the boost in power, as Roserade won't be attacking much anyway. HP Ice catches some Salamence and Gliscor off guard, as I'm faster than most Mixmence and Bulky tanking Gliscors.

Team Role: I almost always start off with Sleep powder, since it helps me beat bulky leads while setting up Toxic Spikes. The leads that screw me up most often are Lum Berry Metagross, Aerodactyl, and Azelf. Infernape might seem like it would do a number on my team before dying, but I usually switch to Rotom to take the Fake-Out, and switch back to Roserade for a Sleep Powder as it lays down Stealth Rock.
Opinion:

Teambuilding Process: Roserade was the second pokemon added in this team. Toxic Spikes really increases Empoleon's sweeping potential, and thus I chose Roserade as my lead in order to set them up as early in the game as possible. Although its accuracy is a little shaky, Sleep Powder is quite reliable most of the time.

Zeliox (Heatran) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

EVs/Item/Nature: Scarf allows me to out-speed most of the offensive (non-scarfed) threats in the metagame, as my team has a serious lack of speed.

Move Set: Fire Blast over Flamethrower for the extra power. Earth Power is mostly used to be other Heatrans one on one. I usually try to Explode on something that might threaten my team. Stealth Rocks usually leads people to believe that my Heatran is running anything but a Choice Scarf =o

Team Role: BORROWED FROM SCOFIELD
Heatran is usually what I send in to deal with Fire attacks. Most people expect it to be scarfed, so they will switch in something to tank my attack, while I set up Stealth rocks.

Teambuilding Process: Okay, last we left off we had Roserade sleeping a Pokémon and a likely cold double switch up ahead. After I’ve slept a Pokémon, I always go straight to Heatran. If they don’t realize that I am scarfed, they will likely switch in something to wall Roserade, so let’s take a look at common Roserade switch-ins:
-Blissey
-Scizor
-Zapdos
-Bronzong
-Skarmory
-Jirachi

Q: What do all of these Pokémon have in common? A: They are all beaten by Heatran. The most common switch-in to Roserade is either a special wall like Blissey whom Heatran can just set up rocks on before Blissey is afraid of explosion, playing mind games or sturdy steel types to resist Roserade’s grass attacks and weak HP Fire. The most important thing is that no one will switch in a bulky water in on Roserade for fear of its Grass Knot (although oddly enough quite a few people switch in Gyarados on a potential 120 bp grass knot for some weird reason.) Even if the opponent doesn’t switch, I can set up rocks against a sleeping opponent, and if it is Azelf, Bronzong, or Metagross, they can’t do much to me and switch fearing a Fire Blast. After I set up rocks, I assess the situation and then either explode or switch again. So, now a realistic outcome of the match thus far is this: I have slept a Pokémon, set up Stealth Rocks, and say exploded on something with Heatran. This means that I’ve seen the opponents lead, stopped their opening gambit, seen another Pokémon, and killed one other Pokémon. So, I now know half of the opponent’s team, with one Pokémon being asleep, and another one being dead.
-scofield

Circa (Rotom-h) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Toxic

EV’s/Item/Nature: I opted for a bulkier spread to increase its longevity, though I sometimes wish I had a Scarf to deal with Gyarados, as the random flinch hax causes me the game 8(

Move Set: Thunderbolt and Overheat are quite standard here. I’ve chosen HP Fighting over Ground and Shadowball to deal with Tyranitar switch-ins. Toxic is used in the last slot to deal with Roosting Zapdos, and it helps out my team in case Roserade doesn't get to set up Toxic Spikes.

Team Role: Its main job is to block rapid spin, while acting as my check against Gyarados. He also deals with Scizor, resisting its STAB attacks with much ease. When I use this guy, I usually scout for Tyranitar first before randomly firing off my attacks, as losing Rotom could put a huge dent in the synergy of my team.

Teambuilding Process: With Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock down, of course one would prefer to have them stay on the field >_> More importantly though, it fills the role of being the check against Gyarados on my team.

Zetsu (Gliscor) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

EV’s/Item/Nature: These EVs allow it to out speed all non-scarf Lucarios, and one-shot it with an Earthquake. Dumping 252 in HP boosts both ends of my defenses, and the rest is invested in Atk.

Move Set: Earthquake is obviously there for STAB, while Stone Edge hits flying types, namely Gyarados and Salamence. I felt that Swords Dance was needed on this team to make Gliscor somewhat of a secondary sweeper, as I felt that I have been losing “pace” in a lot of my battles because of the lack of offense. And finally, Roost is there so that Gliscor is able to sustain himself as a tank.

Team Role: Gliscor’s main job on the team is to counter Fighting pokemon like Lucario, and absorb non-boosted physical attacks. It does not take that much damage from Scizor’s bullet punch, so this generally would not be a bad switch in on Scizor if I want to prevent Rotom from getting too battered up early in the game.

Teambuilding Process: The last Pokemon to be added. After putting in Empoleon, Roserade, Heatran, Rotom, Scizor (in that order), I felt that my team was extremely susceptible SD Lucario, so I added in Gliscor. Gliscor is generally a nice answer to Lucario, barring the surprise Choice Spec versions.

Xahlior (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

EV’s/Item/Nature: The standard Choice Bander. HP gives it more bulk, and 252 in its massive Atk stat is a no-brainer.

Move Set: Bullet Punch is my main move here, as it is able to one-shot most of the Pokemon that do not resist it. U-turn provides a second solid STAB attack, and is generally a nice move in the early phase of the game for scouting. I mostly use Superpower if I have a reason to suspect a Heatran/Magnezone switch-in. Lastly, Pursuit is what I mainly use Scizor for. Latias is a huge threat to my team, especially the ones that run Calm Mind.

Team Role: As mentioned in the Move Set section, Latias is a huge threat to my team, as it can one hit/two hit KO pretty much every member of my team. Thus, Scizor was added to Pursuit that pesky dragon. Aside from using Pursuit on Latias, Scizor is a reliable revenge killer, as Bullet Punch takes a huge chunk (if not all) of Pokemon that don’t resist it. This prevents DD Salamence from straight-up raping my team if it gets a boost under its belt.

Teambuilding Process: The fourth member of my team. Scizor was added after I realized how much of a dick Latias can be. The Steel-typing helps Scizor tank Latias’ main STAB attacks: Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse.

Happy Feet (Empoleon) (M) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 12 HP/12 Def/232 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam/Grass Knot

EV’s/Item/Nature: Its Modest nature provides it with the highest possible S-atk. Empoleon is EV’d so that Petaya Berry activates on the third substitute, boosting its S-atk and activating Torrent.

Move Set: Agility doubles its speed, thus allowing Empoleon to set up a substitute before the opposing Pokemon can attack it. Surf is there for the reliable STAB attack. I’m leaning a bit more towards Ice Beam at the moment, since most Bulky Waters can be beaten with Toxic Spikes. But yes, there have been times where I wasn’t able to set up Toxic Spikes, and had Vaporeon just wall me to death.

Team Role: Ideally, I should be sweeping with this guy most of the time. I usually send this guy in after one of my other team members has fallen to a Revenge Killer mid-game/late game. This is usually very easy, as Empoleon has 12 resistances, including a 4x resistance to the ever-popular Bullet Punch from Scizor.

Teambuilding Process: This pokemon is what I have built my team around. Empoleon is a real menace when his team members are able to pull off the right support. There are not many Pokemon in the meta-game that can take STAB&Torrent-boosted Surfs fired from a whopping 529 S-atk stat.

Final Words: I've been playing around a lot with the slot that Gliscor is currently taking up, trying things like Mixmence, Kingdra, and other wall breakers. This team probably has the most amount of success dealing with bulky offense and stall teams. What I don't like about Empoleon is that it is vulnerable to fast Scarf revenge killers and priority moves like Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch once set up.

Any kind of advice will be greatly appreciated 8) Edits will be in bold&italics&underlined =o

Hello; first of all, I see a little Swampert weakness in this team. Roserade might be able to deal with Swampert, but it usually dies early in the match and doesn't like coming on Swampert's Earthquake/Ice Beam. If you don't set up Toxic Spikes early in the match, Swampert can really wall out most of your team, including Gliscor, Empoleon (without Grass Knot), Heatran, and maybe Scizor too. For this reason, you could ideally use Grass Knot > Ice Beam on Empoleon, as that can help your team out a little bit.

Another threat I see is Zapdos, especially versions that use Toxic/Roost. Zapdos can freely switch into Scizor, OHKOing it with Heat Wave. Zapdos' Thunderbolt can also do serious damage to Empoleon, and if it has Hidden Power Ice, Gliscor and Roserade are both threatened if they dare to switch in. Thunderbolt can chip off Heatran's health bit by bit, too! Zapdos that have Toxic will effortlessly use Toxic on Gliscor and Rotom-H, while being able to stall out Rotom-H's Thunderbolt with Roost. Therefore, I'm going to suggest slightly altering your Rotom-H's moveset. Toxic can help you out against Zapdos and even Swampert/Vaporeon, while preying on Tyranitar too. The main reason Toxic is here, though, is to cripple the aforementioned Zapdos and other Flying-/Levitating-types. If Roserade isn't able to set up Toxic Spikes in the match, Rotom's Toxic can help your team out too. Next, Your Rotom can't do anything against opposing Rotom, so Toxic can help, especially against the offensive versions. Hidden Power Fighting deals with Tyranitar and Weavile anyway, and you seem to like Thunderbolt and Overheat, so I'd recommend running Toxic > Reflect. You could try Will-O-Wisp too, but during the process of using a similar Rotom-H set to yours, I've found Toxic to be the more favorable option.

Next, Substitute + Life Orb Gengar could give you problems, especially those with Hidden Power. Gengar from behind a Substitute can go the distance in assassinating many members of your team, including Scizor (with Hidden Power Fire), Heatran (a potential OHKO with Focus Blast + SR), and Rotom-H (a potential OHKO with Shadow Ball + SR). To make things worse, Gliscor is 2HKOed by Shadow Ball. To make things even worse, none of the members of your team are quite fast enough to outrun Gengar (except Scizor's Bullet Punch), and if it does manage to set up a Substitute it could probably be game over. Because of this I'm going to recommend to Scarf your Heatran, essentially allowing it to ourun Timid Gengar. At least your team will be able to use a combo of Scizor's Bullet Punch + Heatran's Fire Blast to deal with Gengar. With a Scarf, Heatran also outruns 184 Spe Gyarados after a Dragon Dance so you can explode on it. I really feel that a Choice Scarf woulld be better than Shuca Berry here; you're faster than Latias and Salamence (with no boosts) so you can just explode on them if they get too troublesome. I've also tested the concept of having Scarf Heatran use Stealth Rock; the effect is pretty darn good - the opponent will think you're something of an Expert Belt version and think you're only up to 278 Speed, when in truth you have a Scarf to put yourself at 417 Speed. This can allow you to score a few revenge kills.

That's all I could think of for now. I hope I helped, and good luck!

thanks for the suggestions, I'll change the items/sets around a bit like you suggested, and update the thread after seeing how it turns out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)