Ask a simple question, get a simple answer — Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoddy at work

Hi Guys,

I have permission to run shoddy battle at work over the christmas period. I can get games to play locally by creating my own server, but the server lists show 0 players connected.

Without knowing about my work network. Is it possible to hint at a solution to this so I can play online or would you just say no?

Thanks in advance, If the answer could be PM'd to me I'd appreciate it.

here is a situation I had

game starts, they lead with venomoth and I lead with uxie
I switch in umbreon to take the sleep powder and according to Synchronize the venomoth should also have gone to sleep, but it didnt... is this a noob mistake on my part (I have had umbreon switch in when I will-o-wisp and my poke gets burned as well) or did something go wrong here?

edit: a venusaur just put me to sleep as well... does synchronize not affect sleep?

hello. new to the scene, and was told to come here to learn about competitive battling.

so, I take it that shoddy battle is a simulator. what do you need to run it?

oh, and do I need to come here before I can be tutored?

hello. new to the scene, and was told to come here to learn about competitive battling.

so, I take it that shoddy battle is a simulator. what do you need to run it?

oh, and do I need to come here before I can be tutored?

Hello, and welcome to Smogon.

For Shoddy, it is run on Java, so you'll need the latest version of that.

For Battling 101, the tutoring system, all you need is Shoddy and some experience here on Smogon. Experience is considered 15 posts on 10 different days. If you post on a regular basis, that isn't hard at all. After that, just sign up, and your turn will eventually come.

Hello, and welcome to Smogon.

For Shoddy, it is run on Java, so you'll need the latest version of that.

For Battling 101, the tutoring system, all you need is Shoddy and some experience here on Smogon. Experience is considered 15 posts on 10 different days. If you post on a regular basis, that isn't hard at all. After that, just sign up, and your turn will eventually come.
sweet. thanks!

Not sure if I've missed it or whatever, but has shoddy been updated with HG/SS moves yet and if so, how can I download the new version?

Not sure if I've missed it or whatever, but has shoddy been updated with HG/SS moves yet and if so, how can I download the new version?
The Smogon Server has the new movesets. Build your team from inside the Smogon Server to access them. You do not need to download anything.

Is Encore broken? It last 6 turns every time for me.
Strangely, me too o.o

So until Shoddy 2, are we just SoL when our opponent explodes for a victory?

I have a SS here.
I don't really have a problem with Exploding for a victory. Its a good tactic in my opinion (I've done it a few times) and is one of the advantages of using explosion. I don't think we should change it

What program is recommended to open up a shoddy battle log?
Word or Wordpad are the best for me :P

I don't really have a problem with Exploding for a victory. Its a good tactic in my opinion (I've done it a few times) and is one of the advantages of using explosion. I don't think we should change it
The screenshot isn't just exploding for a victory though.

The exploder, Metagross, is the last Pokemon. The victim, Scizor, is also the last Pokemon. Metagross explodes, taking both out. Should Metagross be the winner? I thought self-KO clause stated Scizor should be the winner, and without the clause, it's a draw.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
The screenshot isn't just exploding for a victory though.

The exploder, Metagross, is the last Pokemon. The victim, Scizor, is also the last Pokemon. Metagross explodes, taking both out. Should Metagross be the winner? I thought self-KO clause stated Scizor should be the winner, and without the clause, it's a draw.
According to the Self KO Clause, "If both players have only one Pokémon left, moves which KO both the user and the opponent are not allowed (e.g. Explosion, Destiny Bond). If recoil damage would cause a tie, Self KO Clause does not activate, and the player who last attacked is the winner."

Therefore, moves such as Explosion are banned when both sides of the opposition have only one Pokémon left.

I'm not sure if self KO clause was on in that screenshot. If it was, then it's not working. If it wasn't, then the issue still stands - shouldn't the situation be a draw? (is Shoddy 1 even _able_ to report a match as finishing drawn?)

Cathy

Banned deucer.
The correct mechanics for simultaneous last pokemon deaths is a draw. That's how it is implemented in Shoddy Battle 2 because it is the correct mechanics.

I'm having trouble logging into Smogon's server for some strange reason. I can log onto other ports just not smogon U's. I have the error where it also shows that [0/__] are active but I tried turning off the firewall and that didn't help. Does anyone know what to do to fix this problem?

I don't know if this goes here, but would it be possible to have a shoddy server that is essentially DPPt but without the Special/Physical split? I think this would be rather interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)