College Football

TCU, Boise State, and Cincinnati all show why college football needs to dump the BCS and put in a playoff system.

They should put in a playoff system. It would represent the teams fairly and not use a system that no one likes except the person who made it.

I think a plus-one system would be the best (also, it has the best chance of happening). It would erase all the controversy from this year, too, since no undefeated team would be left out.

Until then, though, I'm happy with our Orange Bowl berth.

A playoff is obviously the best thing for the fans, coaches and players, but try telling that to all the fat cat sponsors. At least college football has its priorities straight...

Cincy is a joke. Everyone was talking about how good they were last year, only to get beat down by I think it was Virginia Tech last year. For that matter, the Big East is pretty much a joke since they lost their powerhouses to the ACC (which wouldn't have mattered since the powerhouses haven't been doing that much in the ACC either). I'd gladly give Big East's automatic bid to MWC

That being said, I think the only reason why people are complaining this year is because of TCU. I know that Boise State finished perfect, and technically beat Oregon (let's face it though, Oregon is a completely different team now than at the beginning of the season), but I'm still not sold on them. Sure, they beat OK a couple of years ago, but OK clearly did not take them seriously (and OK sucks in bowl games anyway). The year after that, Hawaii got beat down by Georgia. The next year, Utah beat down Alabama (but to be fair, it was clear that Alabama didn't show up to that game, they just didn't care and no one can argue against that). I think that a lot of people are now thinking favorably on the MWC (which they should), but are still not sold on the WAC.

TCU is legit. I'm not sure if Boise State is. And hell, who did Cincy play? Though the current BCS system is flawed, I have no clue how one would implement a playoff system. How can you justify some teams playing less games than the other (talking about championship games)? What would that make the SEC championship game? Could you imagine a game where both Florida and Alabama rest their starters? Why even bother if it's not going to matter? There's still a lot of issues with the playoff system than many people are willing to admit, or even offer suggestions on how to impove

Cincy is a joke. Everyone was talking about how good they were last year, only to get beat down by I think it was Virginia Tech last year. For that matter, the Big East is pretty much a joke since they lost their powerhouses to the ACC (which wouldn't have mattered since the powerhouses haven't been doing that much in the ACC either). I'd gladly give Big East's automatic bid to MWC

That being said, I think the only reason why people are complaining this year is because of TCU. I know that Boise State finished perfect, and technically beat Oregon (let's face it though, Oregon is a completely different team now than at the beginning of the season), but I'm still not sold on them. Sure, they beat OK a couple of years ago, but OK clearly did not take them seriously (and OK sucks in bowl games anyway). The year after that, Hawaii got beat down by Georgia. The next year, Utah beat down Alabama (but to be fair, it was clear that Alabama didn't show up to that game, they just didn't care and no one can argue against that). I think that a lot of people are now thinking favorably on the MWC (which they should), but are still not sold on the WAC.

TCU is legit. I'm not sure if Boise State is. And hell, who did Cincy play? Though the current BCS system is flawed, I have no clue how one would implement a playoff system. How can you justify some teams playing less games than the other (talking about championship games)? What would that make the SEC championship game? Could you imagine a game where both Florida and Alabama rest their starters? Why even bother if it's not going to matter? There's still a lot of issues with the playoff system than many people are willing to admit, or even offer suggestions on how to impove
I think the resting the starters argument isnt going to work. If it was the top 16 teams, both would still want to play for the number one spot so they have the easiest road.

Playoffs are the best solution, but what will the teams do to get money?

the Athletic and Academic programs are separate, so how?

Playoffs are the best solution, but what will the teams do to get money?

the Athletic and Academic programs are separate, so how?
They probably make so much off of Alumni donations, I think they can go without that money from big bowl games to have a playoff system. They can even have an NIT like format/other things like the college basketball styme for teams that dont make the 16 team playoff

A playoff system is easy. Most teams currently have a minimum of two and a maximum of FOUR!!!!!!! joke games on their schedules. There was never a reason to bloat the schedule like we have (oh, right, MONEY), so of course a playoff could be easily implemented. It is all about money guys, nothing else. There are no issues other than "four is as arbitrary as eight is as arbitrary as sixteen". I would go with eight because you usually seem more likely to get at least 5-6 really good teams than you are to get more than 10 pretty good teams.

they have to keep the bowl games because of sponsors, but they should take winners of bowl games and throw them against eachother to play for a chance to go to the national champ. game

I think the solution to the BCS is obvious: an 4/8 Game Tournament with the 4/8 Top Ranked Teams (and, for good measure, they could be the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, etc.), and keep the other Bowl Games to show off other teams that couldn't make it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)