First competitive battle team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, this is my first competitive battling team. I started competitive battling when I was 13 (I got Wi-Fi connection) found shoddy 5 weeks ago ( 1 week after I got my Wi-Fi connection). I think I've bored you guys enough now. Before you leave check out my team.
I started out with Starmie and Infernape, one physical sweeper and one special sweeper. They cover most each other's weaknesses. Infernape covers grass, dark/ Starmie covers water, psychic...
Then I thought I need a SR or TS/S set up guy...
I thought of Uxie who also is a mixed wall
Then a physical wall...
I thought of Metagross (good defense, awesome attack)
Then I have 2 spots left...
Special Sweeper - Jolteon
Rapid Spin blocker Gengar

Uxie @ focus Sash
Timid
252 defense/ 252 sp defense/ 4 sp attack
Stealth Rock
Psychic
Hidden Power Grass
Taunt/Fire Blast
As you can see this a very defensive Uxie, some people wondered why I choose Uxie over Azelf, it's because of its defense, Uxie is the defensive version of Azelf so they counter. Stealth Rock sets up and I can't get through the Taunt/Fire Blast thing... Fire Blast can kill Metagross and taunt just works well. I don't want it to die since it's only sp wall and the only guy with grass type move
Infernape - Psychic if not (fake out) stealth rock next turn or psychic again
Metagross - Stealth Rock then switch (Uxie can't really do much) to Infernape
Roserade - Psychic then stealth rock
Azelf - Stealth rock then switch to Jolteon
Swampert - HP grass OHKO
Gengar - Get the hell out of there and switch to Jolteon

Gengar @ Scope Lens
Modest
252 speed/ 252 sp attack/ 4 sp defense
Hypnosis
Thunder Bolt
Shadow Ball
Dream Eater
Gengar is a sp sweeper with OK speed, it also has the role as the rapid spin blocker, I personally think that Gengar is the best ghost type because of its sp attack, move pool, speed. Hypnosis is now 80 percent accuracy because of scope lens. Hypnosis helps to give time for my pokemons to set up SR or heal. Thunder Bolt and Shadow Ball for normal damage but might switch Thunder Bolt for Ice Beam. Dream Eater is for healing.

Jolteon @Focus Sash
Modest
252 speed/ 252 sp attack/ 4 HP
Shadow Ball
Thunder Bolt
Hidden Power Ice
Wish
My counter for Gyarados and Starmie both are very common. Jolteon kills them because of its high speed and high sp attack. With those it can be a really awesome late-game sweeper. Hidden Power Ice for the dragon types since when I switch in my Jolteon people switch dragon types in 20-30% of the time. Also it's my wish passer.

Starmie @life orb
timid
252 speed/ 252 sp attack./ 4 HP
Surf
Rapid Spin
Psychic
Recover
Ahhhhh! This guy annoys a lot of people expecially since I have Recover which lets them Enjoy my Starmie fully. This is my rapid spinner, only things it's scared of is Jolteon and fast drak/ghost types and everything with a focus Sash. Surf is awesome but might switch it for Hydro Pump for more power but PP and accuracy of Hydro Pump bugs me a lot.

Infernape @Lum berry
Adamant
252 Attack/ 252 speed/ 4 defense
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Jolteon helps infernape a lot since Jolteon's wish passes to Infernape which recovers him from the recoil from Flare Blitz and Close Combat. This is my main physical sweeper with moves' base power at least 100. A paralysed physical sweeper? lum berry heals him.

Metagross @lum berry
adamant
252 attack/ 252 defense/ 4 HP
Earthquake
Meteor Mash
Ice Punch
Protect
Metagross a physical sweeper/wall protect is for scouting the opponent's moves and protecting itself from a faster weakness. Ice punch for the commonly seen Dragon types. Meteor Mash can OHKO a lot of pokemons with 100 base power, Metagross's high attack, CH is pwnge.

Why I choose my pokemons:
Uxie - Mixed wall, SR
Gengar - Early game sweeping or blocking spins and hypnosising for other sweepers of mine to start their sweep
Jolteon - Outspeeds most pokemon and high sp attack can be an awesome late game sweeper and when I predict a switch, I wish so Jolteon can get EXTREMELY annoying
Starmie - Good move pool, Speed, rapid spin basically
Infernape - Awesome physical sweeper powerful moves fast
Metagross - high attack and defense

Weaknesses:
Weather Teams they make moves more powerful and inflict damage each turn (sandstorm/hail)
Ground types moves take out all my physical sweepers with can be a problem

I did try this team out on shoddy and won 24 times out of 47 (around 50%)
I usually get stuck on hippodon or tyranitar

Hi,

Good team. However there is something that I want you to change. First, give Uxie Choice Scarf and remove Taunt/Fire Blast > Trick, why? Uxie is easily taunted by leads like Azelf and Gliscor, and Roserade can easily put Uxie to sleep. Hey, TrickingScarf would force out switches, like when you Trick your Scarf you'll obtain Focus Sash, then he/she will switch out then Trick again, it's like that. Second, Scope Lens doesn't increase the accuracy it raises critical hit ratio, Wide Lens is the one you want. Lastly, your team is extremely weak to Scizor-Lucario. Scizor weakens your team seriously, Gengar is easily OHKO'd by Bullet Punch, Starmie and Uxie is easily trapped by Pursuit, OHKO'd by U-turn. Lucario can easily set up on your Jolteon and..GG. Infernape and Jolteon is OHKO'd by Extremespeed, Metagross has like 2% chance of living from a Jolly Lucario's Close Combat. There, see? I suggest Gliscor, it's your choice whether to place him in your team. But I highly suggest you watch out for Scizor-Lucario. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

got your message and I'm here to rate it.

To start of with get rid of focus sash on Jolteon since nearly every team has SR up. Maybe put LO on Jolteon do make it a versatile sweeper.

Secondly I'd like you to change Metagross to Agiligross. It makes a great late game sweeper. basically put agility > protect. and maybe Thunderpunch > Ice punch if your gyara weak

Not much wrong with Starmie other then maybe Thunderbolt > pshycic

Gengar is alright other than Dream eater. Most pepople let a poke take sleep and then switch. Maybe try HP fire over protect and Hypnosis and Dream eater. That way when Scizor comes in you protect to see witch move he's using and switch or Kill him.

Uxie and Infernape look fine. That's all I got to say good luck and I hope I helped

Firstly I think this is overall a solid team, just a few things to nitpick about.

Uxie doesn't want focus sash, its very bulky and will not be 1HKOed by most leads, barring perhaps CBtar. Leftovers or a choice item here would be a better choice. Oh, and HP grass from uxie does not 1hko Swampert. Heck, even Heatran's HP grass doesn't guarantee a 1HKO. It can't do much back to you though and you can easily 2HKO it. The EVs you have given Uxie doesn't maximise its defensive potential. You can find a guide to maximise it here.

Also you might want to remove psychic from starmie, it offers almost zero coverage, perhaps thunderbolt or even reflect to help against tyranitar.

Agree that with the sleep clause on most battlers would prefer to switch out after one of his pokemon gets hypnotized. Remove dream eater, you can include substitute to ease prediction, and to survive a hit from a faster pokemon.

Your team looks good, but it needs some changes.
First give uxie leftovers since few things can OHKO him.
Your gengar is ok but you should use Wide Lens .Dream Eater can heal you but Gengar can't take a lot of hits so Focus Blast is recommended since it can defeat tyranitar which would otherwise trap and kill you with pursuit.
Metagross should have thunder punch instead of ice punch and agility instead of protect.

Sorry but people are not emphasizing enough how bad dream eater is. It is absolutely terrible. Almost nobody keeps their sleeping poke in, and since most dont expect hypnosis from gar, they wont switch in any sleep talkers. You can get sub, or focus blast over dream eater. Replace the scope lens. I think you have to be slower for it to take effect, and it is not worth it for just one move. If you have sub, you can try petaya berry, and if you get focus blast either life orb, or expert belt.

I think Uxie get more defenses with HP EVs (though I haven't checked).
You have nothing with a choice item, and nothing with a setup move. I think your sweepers are thus going to lack power. You have a lot of coverage, but with your opponent switching it will take good prediction skills on your part to use it.
Dream Eater probably isn't a good move on Gengar - or anything for that matter. When you put something to sleep, it will almost certainly switch out. The move can however threaten Rest Talkers. If you do want to use it, don't use it straight after the Hypnosis. Your opponent will virtually always switch, meaning you waste a turn as well as giving away your surprise. Instead, keep the move hidden until your opponent brings out a Rest user. If your opponent doesn't have any Resters, the move's deadweight. Dream Eater is undeniably a gimmick at best. and in virtually all cases you will be better off with Focus Blast, a Hidden Power, or even Psychic.
You describe Gengar as a "spin blocker" - but do you really need one? Your rocker is Uxie, who's bulky, so can put rocks back if they do get spun away. While Gengar does spin-block, I think it's more filling the roles of sleeper (never a bad thing to have) and special sweeper. After all, Starmie's probably the most common Rapid Spinner, and if it's carrying Psychic Gengar's toast.

Uxie doesn't learn Fire Blast, so you can't use that on Uxie...

On Gengar, replace Dream Eater with Focus Blast and give it either a Life Orb or Wide Lens.

On Jolteon, I probably would use Leftovers as the item, or use something like Baton Pass or Charge Beam over Wish.

For Starmie, Psychic < Thunderbolt

Infernape looks fine I guess, but you may want to consider Jolly and use Swords Dance over Earthquake maybe.

For Metagross, something like Explosion or ThunderPunch or Agility (if Agility, you'll need to change EVs) would be good instead to either deal heavy hits in exchange for Metagross, hit Gyarados and bulky waters, or attempt sweeps.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Uxie doesn't learn neither taunt nor fire blast, so it's pretty obvious that you haven't tested this team. I'm going to lock this under rule 16:

RMT rules said:
16. Play with your team before putting it up for rate. We as a community cannot emphasize this enough. No one wants to rate the team that you freshly created while eating breakfast or the gimmick you randomly put together. We as a community want teams that have been battle tested so that the obvious flaws have been hammered out.

This is particularly because just by playing with a team, you yourself can figure out what is wrong with your team. You don't need other people to help you quite yet - and to be blunt, you're just being lazy or have the wrong idea of what the RMT forum is if you're posting teams you spent fifteen minutes creating.
Also, since you seem quite new to competitive battling, I suggest that you take a look at our strategy Pokedex and consider signing up to the next round of the Battling 101 program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)