Xilaa's Insects

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Gotta love giant insects that look like they would love to crawl into your sleeping bag when you are peacefully sleeping (shudders and vows to take a very long machete with him when he goes into the jungle again.) But all flippancy aside those creatures look very interesting and cool. If I only had some of my own. Imagine the looks on the faces of all the women when I show them my pet insect.

Very Cool

Bugs give me the freaks, but I live in Virginia and go to the bug exhibit in DC all the time. As a kid I used to be scared of crawling through the play bug tunnel hahah. I would always scurry as fast as I could to get through. But I love the bee portion they have there, that shows the hive. Never been stung, and dont plan on it, but it is cool. Also camel spiders give me hibbeejeebees. Most bugs do, other than the smallest ones. But I have never really had a bad bug experience...Other than finding a GIANT tick on the floor (was green? hahhah) and picking it up with my bare hands and seeing it had itsy bitsy legs and couldnt walk because of its size. Gross. Ticks stink.

Those stick bugs are so cool, along with the mantis and black widows and whatnot. But I'd be careful about naming large spiders "Houdini", as you might not want something like that to be performing magic escaping tricks on you

That New Guinea walking stick bug.. oh my god. I am terrified.
Then don't watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q_B9VYfk0w

...actually, do watch it.

The handler (not me, btw) says that they're docile, but that is only if they're used to people and being touched. The ones I take care of are not, and will therefore happily attempt to stab you. The bug in the video actually does show off her defensive behavior, which is quite cool.

In other news, I'm still on winter break, but if you want to ask anything/start a discussion, go right ahead.

Cool pictures. I can imagine the New Guinea walking stick terrorizing a town. That thig is HUGE! You think the babies will hatch by the time you get back from break?

When I was but a wee freshman, I was taking the basic biology class for bio majors [...]
Cool, I love little stories like that.
I'm a bio major too, but I feel like I have done nothing compared to you xD It's too scary to talk to professors >.<

So pretty cool pictures :D I was waiting for my school to offer entomology in the spring, but the department decided not to, cause of lack of interest ;o;... ended up signing up for ornithology, hopefully it'll be interesting too~

lonahte: It's possible. It's still kind of cold out here, so maybe it's not warm enough for the eggs to hatch. We'll see -- I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures when I come back to school.

Rin: That's awesome! Birds are my favorite type of animal, but my school doesn't offer that course. I hope you have fun!

I don't really like bugs, but when I say that, I usually am refering to annoying bugs like flies and mosquitos (god damn it, I hate mosquitos). But these bugs are cool! I especially like the scorpions and the spiders. Over Winter break, me and my family went to the Amazon in Peru. We saw some pretty cool bugs there, like Bullet Ants (thank god I didn't get stung), fire ants (my dad got stung by one of these), and tarantulas. Oh, and I have a very strange question. Is it true that after having sex, a female Praying Mantis will bite the male's head off? If true, have you ever seen this?

That is true. If I'm correct, the male sneaks up on the female and tries to mate without being noticed. If he fails, he loses his head. Can't say I've seen it happen, but I did see a headless body.

Without being noticed? That has got to be one dumb Praying Mantis to not notice that it's being raped. XD

Interesting OP. The male Extatosoma tiaratum looks EXACTLY like a branch in that picture. (I actually couldn't find him for about a minute before I realized that the branch was him. :))

Cool insects! I'm not allowed to keep any in the house because my mum hates any form of insect and spider :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)