The Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what Wenger was doing, putting Song at CB he was at least closing down Xavi who made the two Barca goals. Denilson does not close down and passes too slow to be playing against Barca.

Campbell would not have let the back line be that high, would have stayed on Ibra and Song wouldn't have given Xavi the chance to play the through balls.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
imo the one (and maybe only) striking flaw i find with the gunners is their inability to adapt to different teams' playstyle and alter theirs accordingly. This was demonstrated throughout the entire first half of today's game, and a little bit in the second half up until Walcott came on and gave the team a much needed momentum boost with his presence, speed and game-changing goal.

Arsenal needs to understand that kick&run do not always win games!

I just watched my Arsenal/Barca game.. DVR'd it.. had to avoid computer all night while i worked. I was furious the whole game until finally.. FINALLY Arsenal showed solid life.. and a little bit of consistency. Almunia came up hugeeeeeeeeee.. but yes.. the 1st goal was a stupid mistake by him.. yes Manuel.. the ball can go up. Damn.. Arsenal.. you tear me apart sometimes. [dont want to write a novel about the game]

But anyways.. so now its 2-2 and Barca has 2 away goals.. what's the situation?

How can Arsenal win the overall match.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Did no one notice the 10 misses Barca had in the first half? Ibrahimovic could have had a hattrick within half an hour. Barca totally dominated the first half, and if they manage to do that at the Nou camp, Arsenal are meat.

That said, I was quite impressed with Arsenal's comeback, so don't count them out just yet.

norulz

excellent
Arsenal didn't deserve the tie, with Puyol, still, Piqué and Milito should be more than capable of handling the defensive core.

Predicting a comfortable 3-0 home victory for Barcelona.

Also predicting Manchester United comeback 2-0 against Bayern, and 2-1 victory for Barcelona in the finals against Manchester.

I don't think Inter will win the way they're playing, and I don't think Lyon/Bordeux/CSKA have a shot at the final.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sky Sports is saying Arshavin out for three weeks. Cesc fears his season is over and Gallas will likely be out for the same time he was already, or longer, since it's a recurrence of the same injury. So, maybe 6+ weeks? That's the rest of the season as well. (Unless they make the Champions League Final maybe lol).

Would Wenger even think about starting Sol Campbell at the Nou Camp? Is Silvestre injured? He might just play Song there again, but that makes their midfield so much weaker..

This is where Arsenal's title challenge stumbles I think, they'll slip away in the next few games and it'll be a two-horse race.

However, despite those absentees, I can't count Arsenal out just yet. Barcelona will be missing Puyol and Pique, so if Arsenal ever had a chance to get at Barca, it'll be in the return leg. There's still a chance that Abidal and Iniesta won't make it, I hear, so they could be just as big a problem for Barca and Arsenal's injuries are to themselves.

Obviously, Barca are still strong favourites as Arsenal have to win (or draw 2-2 for ET, 3-3 to go through etc). But we'll see. If it's anything like the first leg though, Barca probably won't throw away so many chances again.

Wenger should play Sol Campbell his experience would have not let those two easy barca goals to happen, Arsenal's line was too high and Song didn't track Ibra at all. You play that high up the pitch against a team with Alves Messi and Xavi and you deserve to get beat.

Alex Song is crucial if Arsenal want any chance, he is the best player they have for closing down, Xavi was still dangerous but it wasn't till Song was taken out of midfield and therefore Xavi wasn't being tracked down as much that Xavi got about ten minutes to make the assists.

They should also play Rosicky in the centre as well, Barca are fantastic at closing down and Rosicky is probably the best player in the Arsenal team at one touch passes and not wasting time on the ball. They don't need the power of Diaby to beat the midfield.

I still don't see Arsenal winning,Gallas and Fabregas are much more important to Arsenal then Puyol,Pique or even Iniesta are to Barca, its Xavi who they wanted to get sent off.

Gonna say 3-1 Barca

I think they can say goodbye to the league now, they don't have that difficult fixtures but there is a chance they could slip up at Blackburn or Wigan and they have had problems with Man City recently.

United have more then enough to get through most the remaining fixtures with or without Rooney, but they also have the CL to worry about and Chelsea don't, i think Chelsea win the PL it if they win at the weekend.

Benfica beats Liverpool 2-1, coming back from an early goal to win. Thin margin to bring to Anfield, but any advantage is good at this stage. Plus Ínsua and Babel are out for the 2nd leg, so I'm confident.

Arsenal's comeback yesterday with Barca was lovely. I was a bit disapointed at the crowd when they started to 'boo' Henry ):
But atleast he didn't hand ball it again.

This is what I'm talking about. I don't know how, but I'm really starting to get the feeling that the Europa League is so different then the UEFA Cup. 3 matches 2-1 for the home playing club and 1 match ending in a 2-2 draw. None of these matches are already played after 1 match. No club has the upperhand and anything can still happen next week.

The level difference between all of the clubs in the Europa League isn't very big. There isn't 1 big favorite to win it. The football is absolutely great. I have seen Hamburg - Standard Liege live and higlhights of the other matches and really wow. Attacking football and goals in all the matches. I'm just loving it as a football fan

norulz

excellent
Benfica beats Liverpool 2-1, coming back from an early goal to win. Thin margin to bring to Anfield, but any advantage is good at this stage. Plus Ínsua and Babel are out for the 2nd leg, so I'm confident.
26 games undefeated

about the game

the two penalties clearly exist, and for once the 5th referee is useful and makes a good call by signaling the 2nd penalty

babel's red card was really stupid but he deserved it, Insua should've been double carded and expelled too

benfica dominated, to the point where rafa decided to do damage control and try to keep the 1-0 by putting everyone on defense and torres as lone striker (david luiz sure showed him!!!)

i'm confident for the 2nd leg as well, it won't be easy, and I expect the crowd to be intimidating, but benfica has a good shot to win.

also a sudden unexpected injury on torres and gerrard would come in handy -_-

This is what I'm talking about. I don't know how, but I'm really starting to get the feeling that the Europa League is so different then the UEFA Cup. 3 matches 2-1 for the home playing club and 1 match ending in a 2-2 draw. None of these matches are already played after 1 match. No club has the upperhand and anything can still happen next week.

The level difference between all of the clubs in the Europa League isn't very big. There isn't 1 big favorite to win it. The football is absolutely great. I have seen Hamburg - Standard Liege live and higlhights of the other matches and really wow. Attacking football and goals in all the matches. I'm just loving it as a football fan
UEFA, when changing the cup's format into the Europa League, wanted to make it more than just a 2nd class european competition. And I gotta say, they suceeded in a big way.
Hell, 2 of the 4 matches are CL material.

till fulham win it -_- :P
people forget all manchester united have to do is score once and not concede to go through, which is exactly the same as what arsenal need to do.. arsenal are praised for drawing at home 2-2 yet united are slated for losing 2-1 away... i know what result i would rather have from those 2.
I would take away goal ANYTIME
liverpool have had ONE game this season where they have really shone.. that was at the weekend against sunderland, where tbh they coulda beaten anyone

Arsenal were the underdogs and managed to salvage a draw against the best team in the world after going down two goals and losing both Gallas and Arshavin whilst their best player had a suspected broken leg or at least shouldn't have been on the pitch, United went one goal up then lost to a decent side whose best player was out.

United are in the stronger position but Arsenal deserve all the praise they got.

I think Brazil Spain or maybe Germany will win the world cup.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can't believe that.. Yes, United were poor in the first half. But Drogba's goal was ridiculous, he was a mile offside.. How can a top official miss a decision like that in such a massive game?

Big defeat, Chelsea has the advantage now. I think United have to win all the remaining games and are relying on Spurs and Liverpool to do something. Need to score a lot of goals in the remaining games too, which could be more difficult without Wayne Rooney.

Chelsea dominated first half and deserved to be in front. Utd produced a great performance second half and didn't deserve to lose.

But i'm a Chelsea fan and couldn't care less, we've been raped by bad decisions for the past 4 years and im happy someone else can see what it feels like.

BLUE IS THE COLOUR.

Has anyone else tried the Premier League predictor?

Sorry Man United (and Tottenham/Liverpool/Man City) fans.

yea.
that linesman was a joke, we had the upper hand in that game at that point and would have scored before the end probably. doesnt makwe up for ANYTHING seeing as we were robbed at stanford bridge by more poor refereeing

United's goal was so circumstantial and lucky, along with Neville's spartan attack on Anelka dismissed. Referee's were poor for both. The offside was as clear as the PK not awarded to Anelka.

During the match the commentaros mentioned something very interesting to show off even more of how lucky United has been so far. They are the team with the most favorable 'own goals' by other teams, a total of ELEVEN (and they have scored what, 80 goals? more than 10% of their goal rake). How many of those have granted them 3 points as opposed to 1 for a draw? I can only remember one instance against Sunderland with a 3-3 score? But I'm sure there were alot more.

I'm just so happy Chelsea won, I just hope they don't drop any points in the next 5 games, but seeing how they made short work of Aston Villa and United (jk :P) I'm sure they can handle Tottenham and Liverpool.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What about the foul on Park in the penalty area that the fucking referee missed?

United really got their game going in the second half, we just got screwed by a blind linesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)