You got sand where? -A Newbie's RMT

OK, so this is my first RMT and I thought that making a sandstorm team would be a cool idea, and also has a lot of benefits to my team that messes up my opponent.

To start things off, one pokemon needs to set up sandstorm. This falls to either Hippowdon or Tyranitar. I personally prefer Tyranitar, and it can also makes a pretty good lead. It comes with Stealth Rock for obvious reasons. The Chesto Berry lets it take down Smeargle, or other fasting sleeping leads without falling to sleep. Because of Tyranitar's abysmal speed, the anti-priority of Payback doesn't really make a difference and the improved base power after getting hit makes it superior to Crunch. Stone Edge rounds out the set by providing coverage and taking out common flying leads, like Aerodactyl, or pokemon that resist Payback.

Tyranitar @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/32 Atk/224 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Payback

While Heatran may be slower than Magikarp, Choice Scarf remedies this embarrassing little problem. This Heatran is meant to be a revenge killer, because it can outspeed most Pokemon and KO with its magnificent special attack. Fire Blast provides the main STAB offense, while Dragon Pulse and Earth Power hit the opponent's Pokemon that resist Fire Blast, specifically Heatran and dragons. Explosion lets Heatran go out with quite the bang.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Explosion
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power

Rotom-h covers the bases that this team needs. It is a spin-blocker to keep stealth rock and spikes in play. It can absorb status to keep its teammates from being burned and it can burn/paralyze opposing threats to keep them at bay.

Rotom-h @ leftovers

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SDef
Bold Nature

- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Discharge
- Will-o-wisp

So far, this team has been incredibly weak to Fighting-type attacks, especially the likes of Lucario (if heatran doesn't get a clean switch or if has vacuum wave/Mach Punch) and faster Machamp sets. Gliscor remedies these problems. This version runs more speed than a typical Lucario to outspeed and KO with Earthquake, although a Swords Dance is required to guarantee the kill. Roost improves Gliscor already impressive longevity. Sand Veil lets Gliscor avoid a potential KO and then KO back, even though hyper cutter prevents intimidate from going through, sand veil has proven to be more useful to me. Stone Edge rounds out coverage to hits the Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Earthquake

Where would a sandstorm team be without an annoying staller? Skarmory lays out the Spikes that turn those crucial 2HKOs into OHKOs. Roost lets Skarmory function as a physical tank and dodge a super-effective Thunderpunch or Stone Edge. Whirlwind racks up Spikes/SR damage and resets stat-up sweepers. To prevent Taunt from ruining Skarmory, the pathetic Brave Bird has to be added, but it can also finish off a very weak pokemon.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/16 Spe/ 152 SpD
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

With almost every pokemon on this team being offensive, Wish support is incredibly effective. Protect allows Vaporeon to stall by itself and take a Wish. Surf is there as reliable STAB, while HP[Electric] lets it take on Gyarados and Skarmory. It can also sponge a water attack to add to its reliability.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Surf
- Wish
- Protect

Italics = edit

Delko, I didn't change the Tyranitar set, because (1) rotom-a's only way of beating Ttar is to burn it and rest can overcome that, and (2) tyranitar is a lead AKA it will be taking a spore/sleepowder from a faster smeargle/ roserade and it needs to survive and take it out.

Thanks,
Server_Crash

nifty team

-why not use hippowdon AND tyranitar? They have fairly different weaknesses (only sharing water/grass weakness), have sandstream, good defenses, and massive offenses. For it to be a true sandstorm team you need mroe then 1 sandstormer

-maybe use jirachi over vaporeon for the sandstorm resistance and better move pool (like thunder/thunderbolt for water weaknesses), and your other pokemon deal with fire/ground pretty well

Hello

First of all, on a SS team not all members should be immune. Sandstorm just helps you down taking out defensive pokemon since Leftovers recovery is canceled on pokemon not immune to Sandstorm.

You have a lot of entry hazards (Spikes, Stealth Rocks) so it would be a nice feature if you have a Ghost type pokemon to block Rapid Spin. Therefor I suggest a Rotom form instead of Scizor. Rotom-h will be best since he can cover Scizor, a somewhat dangerous pokemon in today's metagame.

Rotom-h @ leftovers/ bold/ levitate
252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SDef

- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Discharge
- Will-o-wisp

This set will also let your Rotom-h acts as a status absorber. It can take out it's greatest counter Tyranitar by burning it and stalling it out with Rest.

Your Skarmory has outdated EV's, use a spread of 252 HP, 88 DEF, 16 Spe, 152 SDef.

To help you deal with Latias better you could use a somewhat more defensive set on Tyranitar.

Tyranitar @ leftovers/ careful/ sandstream
252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 SDef

- Stealth Rock
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge
- Payback

This set makes Tyranitar as bulky as possible on the special side making it a great counter to Latias and Rotom-a.

Gliscor will make a great Stall breaker on your team and makes a great combo with Tyranitar and Vaporeon. Therefor I suggest you use the Stall breaker set on him. Which is almost the same only with Taunt and Toxic instead of Sword Dance and Stone Edge. Also you could move 4 extra EV's from Attack to Speed so you will outspeed opposing Gliscor.

Hope this helped!

I've been playing with your suggestions on Shoddy. My original Tyranitar set worked better than your suggestion, so I think I'll keep it for now. Rotom-h has been incredibly helpful, and has allowed me to beat teams that I couldn't beat before. Skarmory stats work better so thanks, and now, Gliscor. Both worked well, but there are a couple of factors that made me keep my current version. 1. Only keeping earthquake lets many pokemon, that don't fear toxic set up on Gliscor. 2. Without a stat-up sweeper, this team loses a lot of attacking prowess and will lose to other offensive teams. If anyone could give some more reasons for a stalling Gliscor, I might consider it again, but, for now, I'll stay with the Swords Dance set.

To answer your questions:

1. Pokemon can't set up on Gliscor because you have Taunt. Taunt will also denie Poisoned enemies to heal themself so you can stall them out with Roost (if they are immune to Earthquake).

2. This team is more a defensive team then an offensive one. So you won't need a set up sweeper tbh. Opposing offensive team will struggle to switch out alot because of all the entry hazards.

I agree with the new moves chosen on Rotom but the EV spread is all wrong. Rotom should always run 252 in def. This is especially true since you are running Tyranitar so Azelf will not be a problem. Note: A weakness to Azelf is the only thing that you would otherwise split the EVs for. This maximises its ability to survive hits from Tyranitar, as even when burnt it can do considerable damage without the correct spread as well as a plethora of other physical attackers.

I'm in agreement with Delko on the suggestion to change Tyranitars moves and more importantly in concern with the Gliscor suggestion. Your Gliscor only does 52.6% - 62.2% with Stone Edge to a Salamence and only 42.2% - 49.7% to Gyarados. That is clearly not good enough. Take up Delko's suggestion and use the stallbreaker set. The set, through the use of Taunt, provides the prophylactic measure of anti spiking which your team desperately needs.

Hmm, I've seen that your team is weak to New Mixmence; Mixmence always have Draco Meteor (Rotom-h), Fire Blast (Skarmory), EQ(Tyranitar, Heatran), and Outrage/Dragon Claw (Vaporeon eventually) and covers your whole team. One way to fix this is to change HP Electric/Surf on Vaporeon and change either of them to Ice Beam, so all Salamence can die in one hit and have no problem.
Your team is also weak to Life Orb Gengar. Life Orb Gengar can OHKO your whole team with its moveset of Shadow Ball (rotom/Gliscor), T-Bolt (Skarmory, Vaporeon), HP Fire (Skarmory) and Focus Blast (Heatran and Tyranitar)... a way to remedy this is to get a Pokemon that can Pursuit trap, probably a Choice Band Scizor would work out well. I'd suggest switching out Gliscor, as a fighting resistance is already give to Rotom-h so Scizor would work well in Gliscor's place (Gliscor doesn't help as much on the team anyways)and Scizor would also work as a decent check against Salamence by using Bullet Punch on the Salamence. Here's the Scizor set:

Scizor @Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
252 Att/244 HP/12 Spe
U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Superpower/Brick Break
Hope my rate helped and good luck with you team!

Hello!

As mentioned before a jirachi would be better than a vaporeon because it is not affected by SS here is the set i had in mind:

EV's: 240 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpD / 32 Spe
Nature: Impish
Item: Leftovers
Moves:

Wish
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Iron Head/T-wave/Fire Punch

This Jirachi can pass around wishes as well as remedy your DD mence and DD gyara weakness. The last move is up to you: Iron head flinch hax, t-wave paralysis, fire punch hits steel types not named heatran for super effective damage

@ BreTran: Vaporeon fills the bulky water role that is always helpful and AGAIN, it doesn't matter that every pokemon is not affected by sandstorm. AND DD mence and DD gyara also outspeed and KO with whatever boosted move they please.
@ SatiSuicune: If I replace Gliscor with Scizor, then I will have to find a new way to deal with stat-up sweepers and to break walls. Also, being able to hit Salamence with bullet punch leaves my team open for a Gyarados sweep. Also, LO Gengar is not a problem (unless it has a sub up when it kills a pokemon), because CHOICE SCARF Heatran outspeeds and OHKOs.
@ iKitsune: Thanks for the rotom-h EVs, and you and Delko have made some valid points for the TTar and Gliscor switches so thanks.
@ Delko: I guess its not an offensive team anymore without offensive Scizor and Gliscor. I overlooked putting taunt on the set (whoops), so thanks for pointing that out.

Final Question: Should Gliscor keep the current EV spread, because I still need to outspeed Lucario.

Taunt Gliscor should always run max speed. 40 EVs in defense tend to do very little, whereas at least speed tying with opposing gliscor is crucial. Gliscor is so powerful against stall that the person who taunts the others Gliscor in the stall match up usually wins. For this reason i would run max speed, max hp and 4 def. Of course this also allows you to out speed Lucario but as Ive said this is not the reason i feel it is necessary to run max speed.

Good luck.

shouldn't it run a little attack to deal some damage with EQ to steels that are immune to toxic?
here
252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
ditch stone edge for taunt

have Hippodown lead then use tyranitar later with the Choice Scarf or DD set, ditch heatran for it

shouldn't it run a little attack to deal some damage with EQ to steels that are immune to toxic?
honestly no, the pay off is negligible, whereas max speed can be the difference between a win or a loss. The choice is yours but trust me max speed is the way to go.

nifty team

-why not use hippowdon AND tyranitar? They have fairly different weaknesses (only sharing water/grass weakness), have sandstream, good defenses, and massive offenses. For it to be a true sandstorm team you need mroe then 1 sandstormer

-maybe use jirachi over vaporeon for the sandstorm resistance and better move pool (like thunder/thunderbolt for water weaknesses), and your other pokemon deal with fire/ground pretty well
no

you only need one sandstreamer, and gliscor > hippowdon

Overall, this is a very solid team.

Just a few comments:

Ttar doesn't HAVE to be your lead. You could lead with, say, swampert, and then you can run a non-lead Ttar (he's not the best of leads).

Right now you are overwhelmingly Latias weak. If you don't have Heatran, you can stop Specs Latias from pwnzoring

I recommend replacing vaporeon with swampert, adding scarftar over leadtar, and a wisher over scarftran (since scarftar will be your revenge killer).

so if I replace heatran with swampert (vaporeon is a solid wish-passer), and leadtar with scarftar, then what should I use as a lead?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)