Flinch Hax, the new handicap

Ha, you've been tricked into helping me make my team beat yours. I've done some play testing with this team and it's done well enough for me so far, so let's see how many hole you can find.

While yes, this is my first team, I've spent the last week using this team on the standard ladder and have done wellish so far, 1100 without prior experience before I turned here for some peer review. Your help is appreciated. :D

Team Building Process:

Jirachi:

Ah my little hard hat friend. Flinch hax is so much fun and Wish has saved my team more then a few times. Jirachi also has great resistances and take physical hits like a champ.

Togekiss:

Togekiss is not only an extra flincher, but is a decent special sponge and Earthquake resist.

Starmie:

Awesome rapid spinner(Helps Togekiss and choice users), STAB Surf for fire/ground pokes, and Tbolt to counter Gyarados.

Machamp:
If flinch isn't enough, then DynamicPunch confusion handles everything else. Versatile moveset with ridiculous attack and enough bulk to use Payback to hurt some of his counters.

Lucario:

I wanted a good lead, something that'd take the opponent's turn setting up SR to it's advance and so far Lucario has done pretty well. Lucario also doesn't really mind being tricked a choice item.

Dragonite:
This started out as Tank Metagross, but three things weak to EQ was horrible. I switched it out for Phys. Tank Zapdos but I didn't really like it. So now I'm trying CB Dragonite out. Takes fire and EQ like a champ and if the opponent's dragon resist is weakened then Outrage is going to take a few pokes out.

The A Team as of now:

a (Lucario) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Crunch
- Swords Dance
---

If it's possible, ie I'm faster and won't be two hit ko'd SD and try and take a few of the opponent's pokemon out. If they're going to get taunt off then I just go ahead and try to take their lead out. I try to keep him alive, because
he can sweep pretty well mid game if I've paralyzed a few of the opponent's pokemon.

b (Machamp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dynamicpunch
- Payback
- Icepunch/Earthquake
- Thunderpunch

With scarf and above IVs I can outspeed and get the first hit on most 115 Base Speed pokemon. I don't mind the 1 attack lock in because most of the time I've just using him to force a pokemon out or getting a surprise first hit in.

---
c (Togekiss) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Body Slam
- Air Slash
- Roost
---
My backup flincher, Togekiss has nice special bulk and a awesome move pool. Body Slam and Air Slash for the annoyance, Roost for HP, and Aura Sphere to giver it something to do against Rock/Steel/Dark/Normal pokemon.

This was another team slot I've had trouble with, sometimes Kiss has been good other times it's just been eh. I mainly choose it for another pokemon with Serene Grace but if there's something better for the team I'd bench it.

d (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/156 Def/216 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
---

I hate SR, so rapid spin is the obvious answer. Starmie is also decently bulky with Recover, takes care of Fire pokemon with STAB Surf and and can take a Bullet punch if needed.

e (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP/160 Def/40 Spd/68 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Wish
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
---
The star of the team, Jirachi takes everything execpt Fireblast and Earthquake like a champ and PP/Flinch stalls you to death. U-turn is also the greatest thing since sliced bread, letting me hit fellow psychics for SE damnage and being an awesome scouting tool in general.

f (Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fire Punch
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed/Waterfall
- Superpower

The last slot is the one I've had the most trouble filling. I loved tank Metagross here for the resistances, explosion, and another toxic absorb, but three Fire/Ground weak pokemon was too much. Tank Zapdos was here briefly, but three pokemon weak to SR and lackluster performance( Due to my skill more then the pokemon I'd bet) let me to Chice Band Dragonite.

He hits like a truck from the start, takes Fireblasts like a champ, and if I've weakened their Dragon resist and paralyzed a few pokemon Outrage is going to wipe-out the opponent's team. I've enjoyed using him so far and teh only complaint I have is toxic hits him.

Pokemon I've had trouble with so far:
Breloom
DD Gyarados
Mixape(Sometimes, depending on the state of my team)

Azelf weak? I've seen only one since returning, but Scheme Azelf can OHKO the whole team, and only Togekiss can take a hit after a Scheme, although yours will be OHKOed by Schemed Psychic after Stealth Rock a good amount of the time.

A Snorlax, be it CurseLax, All-Out Offense or ReStalk can patch that up rather well. Heatran likes to come in as Jirachi Wishes, but Snorlax can take the incoming Fire Blast with ease. I would suggest Body Slam/Fire Punch/EarthQuake/Curse, but you can use only 2 Attacks if you're cautious.

How about you use Machamp as the lead and Lucario for the Late-Game, giving Machamp the Anti-Lead set? Encore can start the match off in you favor, setting up sweeps for later.

You can give Togekiss Thunder Wave, allowing you to hit Rotom-H that can trouble you if it has Trick(With Trick it can do serious damage to your whole team). Make Togekiss Max HP/Max SpDef. Starmie should have 216 Speed not Special Defense. You will continue to have *Wait for it* GyaraVire troubles, though you can ease that with some prediction. You can, and should, replace Togekiss with Rotom-H(For Scizor as well).

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69025 This Jirachi helps your sweep a bit more, although with Wish over Substitute, most likely.

I've replaced Togekiss with this Rotom-h

----------------------------
c (Rotom-h) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/160 Def/96 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Reflect
-----------------------------

It's working well so far. Reflect makes switching pretty safe. Thanks for that. :D

What would you replace for Snorlax? the Band Dragonite?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)