Fuk Dragons, Get Bitches (A Suspect RMT)

Layout jacked from undisput3d

Introduction:

Hello, my name is KnightoftheWind and this is the team I have been using in the current Suspect metagame thus far. It's a fun team to use, and I've managed to hit the leaderboard with it. The general aim of the team is to maintain offensive pressure against offensive and stall teams alike, whilst still being able to endure offensive assaults. In other words, it's a bulky offense team :/. I made this team shortly after I had played with another team for a while which I had deemed terrible and started from scratch.

I first started out by thinking of something to base my hopeful sweep on, since I am an offensive player at heart. It didn't take long for me to decide on a Swords Dance Lucario. I had used it on my previous Suspect team, and on many other teams beforehand, so it's something that I am well familiar with. And since Salamence had left the metagame, it gave Lucario the oppurtunity to cause even more havoc. So onto the team it goes.​

I started thinking of Pokemon that can go well with Lucario, as well as be threatening in this whole new metagame. I remember one of the Pokemon that was a pain for my previous Suspect team to handle was Gengar and I figured that would be a good canditate for the next slot. It was immune to the Ground and Fighting moves that troubled Lucario, and Lucario could set up on Ghost and Dark attacks aimed at Gengar. Gengar also is the perfect switch-in to most Gliscor, Lucario's worst enemy. Not to mention, the lesser need for Steel-types in a metagame where Dragons are less prominent meant that Gengar will have some great fun tearing up teams.​

Since I had a general strategy laid out, it was time to consider how to take care of random threats. I didn't want to use Choiced Pokemon, because although the boost they get from said Choice items is very handy, being locked into a move can provide free switch-ins to Pokemon that are capable of setting up on me, which I think any decent battler out there can agree that's no good. Two Pokemon that came to mind as general everything checks included Jolteon and Suicune. Jolteon's blistering Speed and Suicune's excellent natural bulk and type coverage means that I'm always capable of making sure that no offensive threat is going to be sweeping me clean.​

Two more slots to consider. I noticed that I was lacking some good resistances. Seeing as I'm using three fast, strong and frail Pokemon, having a good defensive core to fall back upon can be pretty helpful for the team. I already decided on a Suicune as my first bulky Pokemon, so going with a Fire/Grass/Water core is a wise option. I didn't take long to decide on using the good ol' Celetran combo to finish my core, thanks to the great resistances their secondary type provides.​

An in depth view of the team and its members:

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion

Intro to the set:

Lead Heatran was probably my best choice to lead off the team. This is mainly because of how Heatran threatens common stall leads such as Skarmory and Forretress. This is important because all my Pokemon with the exception of Gengar are vulnerable to Spikes. If I can prevent Spikes being set-up on me early on, I'll won't have worry too much about residual damage overwhelming me. Since all my Pokemon can 2HKO Skarmory and Forretress, this isn't hard to accomplish.

Aside from that, Heatran is a nice reliable lead in general, beating the majority of bulky leads. Suicide leads are a bit more tricky, but careful switching allows me to play around them. It also is a great special attacker and switch-in to the likes of Rotom-A, Scizor and Jirachi.

Moves, Set and Spread:

It's a standard Lead Heatran, no real fancy bells or whistles in here. Starting the match with Stealth Rock is a wise move, since it lets me get residual damage on the opposing Pokemon very quickly and weakens Dragonite and Zapdos. Fire Blast is a very powerful attack, ripping big holes into anything that doesn't resist it. Even those that do resist Fire Blast won't like it if I manage to get a Flash Fire boost. Earth Power complements Fire Blast, hurting Tyranitar, opposing Heatran and Infernape if I manage to catch it on the switch. The loss of Salamence who resists this combo means that Heatran has greater sweeping capacity in the suspect metagame, which is nice. Explosion is very helpful in a couple of ways. Firstly, if Heatran is very low in health and can't switch-in safely anymore, it can at least severely cripple any non-Ghost before going down. Secondly, if Heatran manages to Explode on Blissey, it paves the way for Suicune, Jolteon and Gengar to have a field day with the other team.

Game Plan:

Against slower leads, Heatran can usually safely get up Stealth Rock whilst enduring a hit thanks to its Shuca Berry. Against faster leads, Heatran is in more of a pickle. Depending on the lead, I usually either break their Focus Sash by using Fire Blast or switch out. Explosions can be redirected to Gengar and non Exploders are predicted around until I get Lucario in safely so I can Extremespeed it. Later on in the match, Heatran deals with defensive Pokemon that Heatran can threaten and Steel-types that don't pack Earthquake. If Blissey switches in, I usually Explode right off the bat, since Blissey rarely Protects first turn. Sure, I lose Heatran, but the loss of their Blissey means my special sweepers are free to beat down the opponent's team without the fear of being walled to death.

http://www.smogon.com/wiki/File:251Celebi.png

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP/32 Spd/244 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Intro:

Tinkerbell Celebi manages to fufill both an offensive and defensive role. Taking multiple attacks and Recovering them off whilst providing paralysis support as well as hitting very hard with Leaf Storm off of 325 base Special Attack makes Celebi a versatile Pokemon to use. The main use of Celebi is to round out my Fire/Grass/Water defensive core, and the resistances Celebi's part Psychic typing is why I use it over something like Shaymin or Breloom.

Moves, Set, and Spread:

There were several things I wanted out of Celebi. Seeing as Celebi is the only part of my defensive core that has access to a reliable recovery move, Recover is a no-brainer for what I wanted. I also wanted Thunder Wave, because it will greatly help the sweeping capabilities of Heatran and Suicune, and Celebi is one of the best paralysers in the OU metagame, so losing out on that benefit isn't a good thing. Finally, since my Heatran and Suicune pack a bit of firepower, I wanted Celebi to do so as well. This means that Tinkerbell was the perfect choice for the role. Hidden Power Fire takes care of Bug, Grass and Steel Pokemon that resist Leaf Storm. In particular, it hurts Skarmory and Forretress, further helping out against any team that uses Spikes.

Game Plan:

Celebi is brought in on Water, Ground, Grass and Fighting Pokemon that are unable to do any severe damage to it. From there, Celebi starts to spread paralysis throughout the opposing team. After Celebi paralyses something, I can then either take down the paralysed Pokemon, or if I can't hurt it, switch to something that can. It's a rather simple procedure for Celebi to do, though Celebi often ends up biting the dust in order to prevent something from completely destroying my team.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/da/245Suicune.png

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Intro:

Ah, offensive Suicune, one of my all-time favorite sets to use in the OU metagame. If you aren't aware of how great this set is, let me educate you on it. Suicune is an excellent all-out offensive sweeper thanks to its decent Special Attack and Speed, access to Calm Mind, great type coverage, and excellent natural bulk making hard to revenge kill. It works just as fine defensively as well, being able to effectively check Heatran, Gyarados, Metagross, Infernape and Vaporeon among others.

Moves, Set, and Spread:

There were very little dilemmas on what moves Suicune would be packing. I prefer offensive Suicune over any other Suicune set, simply because it has much better type coverage and will leave me less exposed to set-up, like say to Taunt Gyarados, who could cause some issues otherwise.

Max Special Attack and Speed because there's little reason to fuck around with around with the standard EVs. With these EVs, Suicune is capable of outspeeding Jolly Gyarados, Jolly Dragonite and Adamant Lucario.

Last thing of note is Leftovers over Life Orb. There's rarely been an occasion where the extra damage Life Orb would have been helpful. Life Orb's recoil would have also been too determental to Suicune's defensive role, since Suicune doesn't have any reliable recovery. Finally, Leftovers makes the fact that Suicune has a bit of Speed less obvious, because luring in Crocune counters and taking them out is another factor that makes offensive Suicune the beast that it is.

Game Plan:

The plan for Suicune is to switch it into anything that Suicune is capable of walling in order to get a Calm Mind. If the opponent switches in something that is supposed to counter Crocune but not offensive Suicune, excellent, a free kill for me. Against stuff that does well against offensive Suicune, well that stuff is pretty rare. Suicune is incredibly difficult to OHKO, so I'm usually able to take a hit and bring down their Suicune check. This does come at the consequence of a heavily damaged Suicune, but keeping the offensive momemtum will greatly benefit me in the long run. If I do come against something that can OHKO Suicune, I can just switch to the appropriate check and bring Suicune in later. It kinda sucks I don't have a really good switch-in for Trick Scarfers that can mess up Suicune's sweep, but as long as I got at least 1 Calm Mind and there isn't a Kingdra or Vaporeon lying around, Suicune can take the Scarf and cause some damage with fast and powerful Surfs, and if I have to switch out, Suicune doesn't make for a bad Scarfer either.

Jolteon (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Wish
- Fake Tears

Intro to the Set:

After I saw this set being used in Articasshole's warstory, I decided that this would be a good set for Jolteon. Seeing as most of my Pokemon are special attackers, having some of them being able to beat Blissey and other special walls one-on-one would be excellent against stall. With Fake Tears, Jolteon does just that, weakening special walls into KO range for Thunderbolt. Not only that, Jolteon is used for a similar reason why Crobat was used in UU a long time ago, to check everything. It is tied with Aerodactyl as the second-fastest Pokemon in the OU tier, only outsped by the rarely seen Ninjask. This means that I can revenge kill anything without a speed boost, just as long as Jolteon sticks around.

Moves, Set, and Spread:

Like I said before, this set here is Jolteon's best chance at defeating stuff such as Blissey, Snorlax and specially defensive Tyranitar. Unless Blissey is carrying Toxic, Jolteon wins against it, using Fake Tears to lower it into 2HKO range for Thunderbolt and using Wish to heal off damage from Seismic Toss, Flamethrower or Ice Beam. Against Snorlax and Tyranitar however, it's a little more tricky, since they have some nice Attack to smash Jolteon with. After a Fake Tears, Thunderbolt does 2HKO though, so if they're weakened before hand, I should be good.

I use Hidden Power Ice over Hidden Power Grass because it can catch plenty of Gliscor that switch into Jolteon expecting to take a HP Grass or Shadow Ball and OHKO with Earthquake (just as long as they're not British). This clears the way for Lucario to have a clean sweep. It also deals with Flygon, which could otherwise cause some problems. Not to mention Swampert isn't as much as a threat to deal with in order to sweep, as Heatran isn't exactly my main sweeper.

Game Plan:

Jolteon usually comes in on a Thunderbolt aimed at Suicune or after one of my Pokemon has died. From there, I tend to fire off a Thunderbolt conservatively, just to see what their main Jolteon check is. If it is Blissey, Snorlax or Tyranitar I switch out, out of Blissey to scout what status move it is using and out of Snorlax and Tyranitar in fear of Earthquake (unless they switched Choice Scarf Tyranitar into Jolteon, in which cause they're an idiot and I can KO Tyranitar there and then). If Blissey is running Thunder Wave over Toxic, perfect. Jolteon can then fire multiple Fake Tears' at Blissey and use Wish to heal damage from Blissey's attacks, then defeat it with triple-power Thunderbolts. If it has Toxic, no problem, that means Gengar can take care of it. Snorlax and Tyranitar are worn down by other attacks from my team, then are hit with a Fake Tears and KOed with Thunderbolt once they are around 50%. Otherwise, Jolteon revenge kills stuff.

http://www.smogon.com/wiki/File:094Gengar.png
Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis

Intro to the Set:

With the decreasing amount of Steels in Suspect, with a little support, most teams won't have a ghost of a chance against Gengar. Lame puns aside, Gengar's high Special Attack and Speed make it a terrifying sweeper for offensive teams to face, but it's sadly walled by a bunch of special walls. That's where Hypnosis comes in. Call me a noob all you want (I shall disregard your existance), but with Hypnosis I can cripple Blissey, Snorlax etc. and take them out without fear of being killed or crippled. Not to mention, catching CB Scizor on the switch-in feels so awesome :)

Moves, Set, and Spread:

Hypnosis was picked as the last move because I wanted Gengar to be able to beat special walls for the same reason Jolteon has Fake Tears, and there wasn't really any better options. Focus Punch was too clunky for coverage, and it meant Gengar's sweeping abilities went down a lot. Explosion could wipe out Blissey and Snorlax, but it meant I'd lose Gengar as well. So Hypnosis and its subpar accuracy would have to do for Gengar.

Shadow Ball is obligatory STAB and rapes everything that doesn't resist it, Focus Blast is obligatory coverage for smashing most Steel types and Thunderbolt takes care of bulky waters and weakened Steels so I don't risk missing with Focus Blast.

Game Plan:

Gengar's excellent immunities come into play by letting Gengar, well, come into play. I then generally Hypnosis first to hopefully disable their Gengar check. If it isn't Scarf Tyranitar and it misses, I can try for a second Hypnosis and most of the time, it'll hit this time. Against Blissey, Gengar deals with all Blissey that can deal with Jolteon, sending it to sleep then Focus Blasting it to death. Gengar also works as a back-up revenge killer if Jolteon is dead.

http://www.smogon.com/wiki/File:448Lucario.png

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Crunch

Intro to the Set:

I'm pretty sure this guy is rather familiar to you all. Swords Dance Lucario is definitely one of the deadliest sweepers that can be found in the OU metagame, and with the departure of Salamence, Lucario has become more of a deadly force than it already is, now that one of its checks is gone. Its an awesome stall-breaker as well, since there's little that can take Lucario's powerful boosted Close Combats and live to tell the tale. Getting that Swords Dance isn't too difficult either, because Lucario is capable of setting up on Dark attacks aimed at Celebi and Gengar, as well as on a bunch of other attacks as well.

Moves, Set, and Spread:

Pretty self-explanatory here. Swords Dance boosts Lucario's Attack to awesome heights, Close Combat murders slower Pokemon and faster Pokemon are picked off by Extremespeed. I guess the main concern here is my coverage move and nature. Crunch takes care of all those Ghosts and Psychics that resist Close Combat, in particular Rotom-A. The only other viable option was Stone Edge, to hit defensive Gyarados. The problem here is that Gyarados is easily checked in this team, with Celebi, Suicune and Jolteon taking care of it. This means that Stone Edge would have been a bit redundant. So Crunch it was.

Now for the non-standard stuff, the Jolly nature on Lucario. Whenever I use Lucario, I always use a Jolly nature, as I feel that is a much superior nature to Adamant. Sorry to fans of Adamant, but all I find it really does is just get a guaranteed KO on Skarmory and Bronzong, who should've been weakened beforehand anyway. In return, Jolly lets me outspeed Jolly Mamoswine, Timid Suicune, Timid Rotom-A, and just about everything that is EVed to hit that coveted 280 Speed required to outspeed Adamant Lucario. If I outspeed more stuff, Lucario kills more stuff, and who doesn't like that?

Game Plan:

Lucario is my main end-game sweeper, and I try to get him in on 4x resisted attacks. However, I'm not afraid to introduce Lucario in the mid-game either. This is so Lucario can scout for its checks with Close Combat, so that they are moved into KO range for Lucario's attacks and so I can come up with a plan to get rid of them. I also use Lucario for occasionally revenge killing with Extremespeed, but this is a last-ditch resort at best. I don't really like recklessly switch Lucario into attacks, as that could compromise my chances of a sweep. The only real time when I do this is when I'm sure the opponent is going to use a Rock or Dark attack, otherwise I usually bring it in after one of my Pokemon has bit the dust.

Conclusion:
So that was my Rate My Team. I hoped you enjoyed it. I'm not going to do a threat list, I don't feel like it, and I'm sure all you experienced raters can tell what troubles the team anyway. So yeah, the Salamence test is coming to a close soon so I'm not going to be using this team much anymore, but go ahead and leave rates anyway, it's not called a Rate My Team for nothing. This has been KotW, and I'll see you next time.

Oh, before I forget:

Yes, this is my 1000th post, so therefore I have to list some people and talk about them. I'm of the personal opinion that Smogon is probably the best Internet community I've ever been in. There's very little unfunny and immature people on IRC and it's been a great time thanks :). Now for the shoutouts.

6A9 Ace Matador: Ex-tutor, got me onto IRC, great friend, cute, overall spectacular guy ^_^ Except for wanting to be gay for Justin Bieber >_>

Alchemator: /me pet Remoraid

alex: The sexiest.

animenagai: It's been a pleasure talking with you again after a long time from when you were stalking me on Shoddy.

Blue Kirby: The very best admin, like no-one ever was.

Coronis:
<+Coronis> hi hi
<+Coronis> bff man
<3 Coronis

Joel: #stark's ever vigilant doorman. Plus, Joel is an awesome name.

joshe: Mentioning you here just reminded me, I need to back into rating :/

jumpluff: Well, she's on everyone's 1k, so why not this one? Hope to meet you one day :)

MoP: The cutest, sweetest user to ever grace Smogon. <3 <3 <3 <3

Philip7086: Probably the fastest growing user out there, nice work Phil, you might become even bigger than Jimbo! No wait, that's just stupid talk.

Snorlaxe: Man, we need to talk more, you're a pretty swell guy.

The_Chaser: Fellow Ocean bro, pretty neat battler as well.

Thorns: YEAH SYDNEY BRO

Toaster: I eat toast every morning because of you. It's like paying tribute, except you're not actually dead.

whistle: Wait a minute, whistle sucks, ignore this space here.

ZapdosBlitz: We haven't talked much, but you seem like a nice enough dude.

Anyone else I forgot / don't really talk to at all / deemed unworthy for 1k: I apologise.

Thanks for the good times Smogon, and here's to another 1000 posts! Christ, my 2k will take a while to get to :/

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
I suggest Explosion > Hypnosis on Gengar for your Blissey weakness. I also suggest Baton Pass on Jolteon so you can mess around with Stall a little.

Solid team KotW.Just a few nitpick
As mentioned above your team is a bit Blissey weak,so adding Explosion over Hypnosis on Gengar might be a good idea.I also personally prefer Baton Pass on Jolteon last slot over Fake Tears.Rotom-A also somewhat troublesome for your team when Heatran is gone (which is likely,as it is your lead) but I guess you could get around it.Adding Shadow Ball on Jolteon might help,but that'll leave you weak to more threats.

We need to talk more! :)

Hey, KotW.

As mentioned already by Zap, your team looks weak to Rotom-A, especially Scarf varieties, as they can switch in and out to haunt your team. It can come in after Heatran is KOed, and can hit Celebi, Suicune, Gengar, with its super effective moves, while Lucario is crippled with Will-O-Wisp, and Jolteon by Shadowball, as it can't do enough back to Rotom-A with HP Ice (as it does up to 25% max, Rotom does up to 32%, but it will come out on top because its faster(scarf). To aid this problem, you could try Explosion on Gengar to take out Blissey, and make Jolteon a Charge Beam sweeper, so it can do more damage to Rotom-A:

Jolteon:
Charge Beam Sweeper
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting
Shadow Ball
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

This Jolteon is a great mon in suspect, able to OHKO or 2HKO the top threats in suspect with ease, after a Special attack Raise. It may be walled by Blissey, but if Heatran is around it can explode on her, or if you decide to give Gengar explosion, that will take care of blissey as well.

Hey this is a great team, I'm 1-1 against it. I have a couple ideas for you:

As others have mentioned, you are Blissey weak and a little stall weak in general as well. Something you might want to try is a Gengar with Substitute and Pain Split over Hypnosis and Thunderbolt. As I'm sure you know, Pain Split Gengar is very annoying for stall and for any team in general, and it'll really screw with Blissey too.

It looks to me like you are a little DD Tyranitar weak. If the DD Tyranitar has a Life Orb, your Suicune is taking 74.6% - 87.7% from a +1 Crunch, and if it's already weakened from switching into a Gyarados or Heatran earlier in the battle, then Suicune doesn't stand a chance. Your Heatran is OHKOed with Stone Edge and Earthquake with or without the Shuca Berry, even without a Life Orb. Celebi, Lucario, and Gengar are all outpaced and OHKOed, and while Jolteon can outpace at +1, it can only hope to get a Thunderbolt off before it uses Dragon Dance again. To fix this problem (which isn't a huge one because it can't set up on much), you could give Jolteon Hidden Power Fighting over Hidden Power Ice. Hidden Power Fighting OHKOes most Tyranitar even without Stealth Rock up (however something would have to be sacrifised first to bring Jolteon in). Another option you could go with is use more Defense EVs on Suicune, but if you don't find Tyranitar to be a humungous threat, it probably isn't worth it.

That's all I can think of at the moment. This is a really cool team, nice job :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)