CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can see the dark aspect of your drawing but what exactly is the fighting aspect of the drawing? It's not what it's based on but how it looks and I really cannot see how it ties into the Fighting-type, really.

@ckpmax1108 That is an excellent piece of work you got there, I hope to see more work like that :) I'd like to see that with coloring added too.

Hmmm. I think the fighting aspect of it would show if I tweak the pose a bit and add in color.

(NOTE: the bladed parts on the back of its feet are also worn by cockfighters to try and damage their opponent.....yeah....its a bloody sport)

Since I'm here, I'll go ahead and comment on a couple of designs that have stood out to me so far...

Paras Hilton:

I gotta say "Hell yeah!" to your first design. I love how simple it is, yet it portrays the typing effectively. Kick ass. I also like the supporting material and how it illustrates how this Pokemon would be able to use Crunch even if it doesn't have any teeth.

I can't say much in terms of improving this design, frankly. Rather frustrating, but oh well. I will, however, that should you choose to go with the female design, you probably should exclude what looks to me like horns on top of the female's head (or make it more obvious that its supposed to be a bow, which is what I am assuming that is what I am is seeing is supposed to be).

Your second design... I can't say I like that one much as it currently is, to be (brutally) honest. The artwork is fine: in fact, that part is quite lovely. You picked the color combination quite well, methinks.

The main problem I have with the design at this moment in time is the beard. The beard draws too much attention to the head which, while not necessarily a bad thing, detracts from the design's strong point. That strong point would be the "face" on the Pokemon's torso. The less attention that is drawn away from the torso, the better.

Caldbolg~:

My older sister shares your hatred for clowns. I think a lot of people share your hatred for clowns. While I personally don't mind clowns myself, knowing that there are a lot of people out there including you and my sister who hate clowns (and/or are afraid of them) makes the whole "evil clown" thing understandable. In this case, it works well for a dark-type Pokemon.

Either color scheme is fine, but I personally prefer the simpler eyes. The gloves seem too simple without the faces on them to me, but that's just me.

---

All in all, at this stage, I am not going to say that any given design has my vote or anything like that, but I will say that I am enjoying what I am seeing so far and I will enjoy seeing what is to come. Thank you and remember, whatever I say is purely said with the intention of stating my opinion and trying to help the artists. My suggestions do not have to be followed if you do not agree with them.

I really need some changes on my Minotaur any suggestions? pm me. As you can see, I have made sure its has primarily Fighting type build and Dark colors

CAP11! The guardian of happiness... Realised it doesn't need to be similar in looks to Togekiss, but in its goal to bring and protect happiness. Dark is sinister mostly, but fixed it with Crescent Moon

Note: These aren't suggestions for the CAP11, just pointed possibilities.
The reason I picked the Crescent Moon Minotaur theme is to open new possibilities such as having Magic Guard and moves like Moonlight or even Lunar Dance. Of course higher special defense too.

Hope this one goes better, or at least is noticed. Still going with the Monkey masked Thief

Until further notice, calling it "Shazman."

Somewhat of a Dex entry or backstory:
Shazman, the trophy-seeking Pokemon. These pokemon are known to go after big threats to gain a prize of its victory. One of its largest opponents is Gyarados, but Shazman have learn secrets from its normal type partner, Togekiss, being able to slay Gyarados with much "electrifying" ease. These pokemon carry around many different kinds of pokemon trophies, showing there many victories over the typings of pokemon. Zapdos are these types favorite prey, using there large range of tactics to destroy these larger, more legendary avians. Scizor is the next prey, as they are an honorable warrior and a feat to fight. Defeating this foe causes great joy in the Shazman communities.

There will be a colored version up soon that will also point out all the little "trophies" the "Shazman" has on it.

V1:http://www.deviantart.com/download/171649098/Dark_Fighting_CAP_MonkeyShaman_by_Ori_Corp.png
V2:http://www.deviantart.com/download/171672891/Dark_Fighting_CAP_Shaman_V2_by_Ori_Corp.png
V2 colored:http://www.deviantart.com/download/171673064/Dark_Fighting_CAPShamanV2Color_by_Ori_Corp.png

Also, does the "Shazman" picture in a good enough pose for a final entrie and what exactly passes as a compressed image?

@SEO
I like your design the most so far, but I don't like the colouring much.
The feeling I got from the uncoloured drawing, was that of a background-guardian-fighting thing. It oozed melancholic loneliness, which in my mind would be the reason why Togekiss (a happy, pure spirit) complements it perfectly.
Due to my (odd?) interpretation of your concept, I would prefer for it to have a darker body, but more in the brown/gray direction as opposed to black (black=evil, brown/gray=depression or whatever).

I originally thought its head +horns should be in the same colour as its uhm cape/hair/shoulder-pads, but seeing how you did it works too.

It was really hard to pick a theme since its main type is Fighting. Minotaur was one of the few choices I have, the others being werewolf, ninja and another nocturnal animal.
Just fyi, Dark-type does not mean "darkness," it means more like sneakiness/dishonor. See other Dark-type Pokemon: Mightyena (hyena), Honchkrow (crow), Weavile (weasel), Skuntank (skunk), etc. None of these animals are nocturnal. They are, however, typically viewed as unsavory for one reason or another. I would say that good candidates for a Dark-type Pokemon would include shrew, termite, weevil, mole, lamprey, or cockroach. Anything you call up a man in coveralls to come and kill. Other possibilities might include anything that uses trickery or "nasty" methods, like a cuckoo (lays its eggs in other birds' nests), snapping turtle (lures in prey with its wormlike tongue), or frigate bird (mugs other birds for fish).

UPDATED:

Added a more dynamic posed version of my design, and also colored it. Also added bandages on legs to seem more "fighting-ish"

Hmmm...something is missing I don't know what though. I feel pretty confident in my color choices though. Also to add to Res Ipsa's thinking some people may not view a rooster as the Figthing-type kind of pokemon. But I reconsider, (see Blaziken) Roosters are very territorial and valiant birds that fend off even foxes that try to prey on their hens and chicks.

I'll be working on different color variations and poses

So any suggestions?

Short and bulky stature, this wrestling Pokemon relys on cheap and dirty tactics to gain the upper hand against it's opponents (Biting, Sucker Punches, or even an occasional "Low Kick"). They tend to boast and display arrogance while fighting (Just look at that fancy tuft of hair. You know it's a douche).

Ignored again, oh well. Hopefully some notices color.

I know its know the prettiest because its not digital, but please give it some thought.

@ckpmax: I know I want my design to win, but WOW that looks awesome. :D

UPDATED: Click to See http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2829508&postcount=102

Added a more dynamic posed version of my design, and also colored it. Also added bandages on legs to seem more "fighting-ish"

Hmmm...something is missing I don't know what though. I feel pretty confident in my color choices though. Also to add to Res Ipsa's thinking some people may not view a rooster as the Figthing-type kind of pokemon. But I reconsider, (see Blaziken) Roosters are very territorial and valiant birds that fend off even foxes that try to prey on their hens and chicks.

Any suggestions?
Dude, that is fucking awesome. I don't have any suggestions. It looks that good.

Short and bulky stature, this wrestling Pokemon relys on cheap and dirty tactics to gain the upper hand against it's opponents (Biting, Sucker Punches, or even an occasional "Low Kick"). They tend to boast and display arrogance while fighting (Just look at that fancy tuft of hair. You know it's a douche).
As the resident Majin Buu sighting expert here at Koffing University, I am going to go ahead and claim this is the biggest Majin Buu clone we have seen in approximately 2 years and 2 months.

As the resident Majin Buu sighting expert here at Koffing University, I am going to go ahead and claim this is the biggest Majin Buu clone we have seen in approximately 2 years and 2 months.
Dammit, it does resemble Buu. I'll have work on that.

EDIT: Fuck it, I'm too lazy.

Dude, that is fucking awesome. I don't have any suggestions. It looks that good.
Seriously!?!....Thanks man! hehehe been lurking on this Cap for a while now and that kinda gave me time to think about the design a bit.

But is there anyway to make it a tad better? Any suggestions?

Seriously!?!....Thanks man! hehehe been lurking on this Cap for a while now and that kinda gave me time to think about the design a bit.

Okay, I like the tuxedo idea. But like you said yes I would play with the colors a bit, maybe try making the body a desaturated purple instead of brown, or maybe try inverting the brown and white. For the red sort of "frillage" on the head you can pay with the length I think maybe making it shorter because it is distracting from the focus witch I believe is the tuxedo. that should really be the standout.

But yeah, I really like that.

That thing looks deadly o.o

But I still don't see a Fighting-type element there. Though I can definetly see Steel in that with its sleekness. Perhaps it's the lack of muscle or the lack of references to any form of martial arts. But still.. o.o I likey.

Anyways, right now I'm working on the final artwork of my interpretation, KOB (King of Boxers). Gonna include it and my references in the next post I make in this thread.

Once again, o.o

@Mektar: Very cool idea. If it was expanded on a bit more, I think it could really go places.
Yeah, well that potential will not be realized unless someone else who likes it decides to improve it like I asked. Not many people would rether redraw someone elses idea instead of comeing up with their own.

My favorites are Cartoons' Bruisermon. Wyverii's Racoon. Those two look the most like pokemon. I do really like the togekiss guardian thing but it doesnt really look pokemony.

Caladbolg~'s clown is interesting as well.
Paras Hilton has some great ones too. Ninja monkey ftw. haha. and the rassler with the mouth in the middle is pretty sweet as well. Buy my favorite has to be the racoon

Edit:
Im loving Ckpmax1108's rooster as well. So many good submissions.

That thing looks deadly o.o

But I still don't see a Fighting-type element there. Though I can definetly see Steel in that with its sleekness. Perhaps it's the lack of muscle or the lack of references to any form of martial arts. But still.. o.o I likey.

Anyways, right now I'm working on the final artwork of my interpretation, KOB (King of Boxers). Gonna include it and my references in the next post I make in this thread.

Once again, o.o
Rats! I knew someone would think this is steel....So if I portray Rooster with a bit more of a fighting style it'll be more Fighting-type-ish?

Hmmm...I think both Taekwondo and Muay Thai both fit perfectly with Roost's style. Cockfigthing does include kick strikes and thrusts/jabs(pecks)

What if I drop the leg sycthes then (although I don't what too - those things are sick) and bulking up the legs more...would that help?

I believe it's more of the coloring that make him more Steel type. Making his legs a hue of brown would give him a more rugged appearence, yet still retain his style with the tuxedo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)