The Nasty New Metagame (OU RMT)

I knew for a few weeks that mence would be leaving to ubers, so I decided to prepare for it. I looked around at the suspect stats and saw infernape would become a huge threat, particularly the nasty plot set. So I wanted to take a spin at using it, and this is what came out of it.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP/236 Atk/24 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
So I believe I had the rest of my team done, and I just needed a lead. I didn't want anything that brought in many weaknesses, but I wanted something reliable. I definitely needed a stealth rock lead, so machamp or dragonite were out of the question. The most reliable rocker IMO in todays metagame is lum berry metagross. With the lum, it can beat machamp and roserade, and then with its attack combo beat most common leads, barring gliscor and swampert. So mash for strong STAB, EQ to compliment mash, BP for the sash kill to compliment either move, and rocks because that’s the point of it leading.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/216 Spd/158 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
I had everything below this already in my team, and I noticed fire types (mainly ape) being able to do massive damage to my team. Starmie seemed like the best fit choice to deal with these threats. This will also help with grounds and rocks that ape can’t deal with. The EV spread is a bit different. I can’t remember if it was when I was sav’ing the team I made a mistake, or I did it on purpose, but it has helped me greatly. Since I have the rotom-a later on, the defense to take on gyarados and a couple other things isn’t as needed, but I still wanted some bulk to starmie with the HP evs. With the sp atk evs, I gain a bit of power, and can net some surprise kills. Surf for the obligatory STAB, T-Bolt for hitting waters that try to come in, Rapid spin because with the next two guys, dragons didn’t seem like a huge concern, and sometimes having rocks gone in nice, even with no weak guys, and Recover to keep this thing lasting.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
So at the time I added this, I believe I had rotom and ape. I wanted some form of revenge killer, and something to compliment both. I noticed heatran could be a pain, and I saw how much flygon could disrupt the grasses coming into the metagame, so I added him right in. So with flygon, I gain checks to starmie, ape, and heatran, and gain revenge killing power. EQ for STAB and hit the fire types, Outrage for powerful STAB and to help beat opposing dragons, Stone Edge beats fliers, U-Turn scouts out.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 184 HP/252 Atk/74 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn
Right as I added flygon, I noticed I had nothing to take its weaknesses. I also saw I had no real physical strength, so I had to come up with something. I then looked at scizor, who even in the metagame with tons of heatran, starmie, and infernape, could still do major damage to the increase in dragons, which I also needed a decent check for. Since flygon and scizor compliment eachothers weaknesses and lures out eachothers checks/counters, having them as U-Turn partners seemed like a wise choice. So obligatory bullet punch (need I explain it), pursuit to kill trapped ghost/psychics, superpower to hit steels/normal’s, U-Turn to scout and powerful STAB.

Rotom-c @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 188 HP/168 Def/154 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
This was the second member of my team. My main concern first was to find a check/counter to flygon, as I tried a team or two before this one, and flygon became a bother. I also knew a metagross check, among other guys, would be helpful to the team. Plus, I have a fairly good track record with rotom, so he was an obvious candidate. The EV’s are a bit different than usual. I took some EV’s out of HP and put them into speed. With that speed investment, it hits 246 speed, which out-paces pokemon who hit 245 to outrun DDTar before a dance and outspeed those who only run 244. I only miss out on 16 hit points, so it didn’t seem like a huge loss. So T-Bolt for STAB, Shadow Ball for more STAB, wisp to cripple physical attackers and get residual damage, and pain split for some recovery, even if unreliable.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot
The base of my team, one of the biggest threats to the metagame right now, nasty plot infernape. Once this gets a plot up, there isn’t much that can stop him later game once I clear out its main threats. So Fire Blast for more power than flamethrower that is needed to net some kills, Grass Knot to hit ground types, Vacuum Wave for priority to stop frail things that are faster.

So that is my team. I have used it a bunch, and is one of my more favorite teams I have made. If you have any suggestions, they will be welcome. Thank you!

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Hey WileChase interesting team you have there, I have a few suggestions that may help your team out!

Solid team you have yourself most of the common threats are covered. The only major problem I noticed is life orb starmie. Considering that LO starmie can easily hit and run against this team if played correctly. Your only trapper scizor gets ohko'd by hydro pump if stealth rock is in play. Starmie even has the ability to ohko rotom doing 91.3% - 107.7%. Which is basically a ohko and you can only pray for minimum damage assuming that your starmie successfully rapid spinned. Now most players would try to handle lo starmie by switching around with there water type as for you starmie and there electric resist which is flygon. That doesn't always work considering the avid player can predict and flygon's u-turn only does 65% to starmie and they can recover the damage back causing the cycle to start again.

Another problem this team faces is playing against stall. Yes in fact you are stall weak and your team doesn't play well against forry/blissey/rotom/scarf ttar. Scizor isn't always enough on this team to suprise cripple blissey and you would need a timed superpower to stop a blissey from potentially walling your team once scizor is gone. They could easily switch into rotom against the scizor and dish out a thunderbolt/shadow ball or willow wisp. With the use of infernape being a special attacker and not mix ape adds on to the blissey problem. Leaving you to take more damage from sandstorm and life orb recoil instead of the opponents blissey. Flygon's outrage/earthquake isn't always a great option because it only does 41.6% - 48.9%. They can proceed to heal away the damage and kill with ice beam if the blissey packs it or switch into the designated steel pokemon.

With all this said I would suggest you use more spD evs on rotom helping your team take special hits in general more better. Considering the speed evs do help on rotom this is generally up to you if you feel starmie can be a huge problem but you can always play around it. You can even try using rest talk rotom instead of pain split because I wouldn't consider pain split a safe recovery method while rest talk provides you more longevity in general.

As for the stall problem I wouldn't generally stress over this which I doubt you will considering you play wifi more then shoddy battle. This still should be looked into considering you wont always be able to get of a rapid spin forcing you to switch around alot more. With the stress of playing against a blissey and scizor your true physical attacker that handles bliss can be a problem do to blissey being able to recover the damage with soft boiled or wish if you decide to u-turn and with out the perfect timed super power you wont be able to kill bliss. So I suggest you use a trick starmie over the current set because it would nail the obvious blissey switch ins when playing stall giving them scarf disabling them from the rest of the battle. Even against offensive teams if you decide to keep scarf this will allow you to revenge kill dd dragonite / gyarados depending on the fourth move as for dragonite if you decide not to get locked into outrage with flygon yet.
---
Rotom - H @ Leftovers | Levitate
Bold |252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Thunderbolt / Willow Wisp / Rest / Sleep Talk

Starmie @ Choice Scarf | Natural Cure
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hydro Pump / Ice Beam ( Thunder Bolt) / Rapid Spin / Trick
---
Good Luck :toast:

Thanks for the rate scim. I always have problems with stall, but I just play around it. I just think that if I switch starmie to scarf, it may die quicker, making fire types run around a bit easier. But if I do feel the pressure around stall, I will change it. I will more than likely not because as you said, I am wifi based, but if I try on shoddy more, then I shall.

I understand the reasoning to using that rotom, if I notice I can't play around starmie, then I will try it. I might just use the EV's but keep my moveset because rest-talk can be annoying, and having the shadow ball is useful.

You could always use mix dragonite over flygon. Dragonites superpower OHKO's blissey, while his dracco meteor rips stall teams apart and he appreciates the spin support.

Dragonite @ Life orb
- Draco meteor
- Superpower
- Fire blast
- Roost

As for rotom, well a swampert can also do that job well. Countering flygon and dragon dance tyranitar.

But if you use dragonite, you may want another scarf user. So I suggest Scarf rotom with wil o wisp

Rotom-W @ Choice scarf
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow ball
- Wil o wisp
- Trick

Wil o wisp on scarf rotom actually works really well. Rotom-w is the best form in my opinon as it scares off tyranitar and heatran, who annoy this set. This rotom also counters lucario well for you, crippling with wil o, or KOing with t-bolt. This is also useful against stall teams, as wil o wisp hit's scarf tyranitar, once it's out of the way, you can trick your scarf and cripple a member of stall. It also helps against your starmie weakness. You still have wil o wisp to cripple flygon's.

Finally, I would never use this suggestion. But you can use focus blast over grass knot on infernape, it 2hko's blissey and OHKO's vaporeon, swampert, offensive suicune. Yea I would never use it, but it does grass knots job and more.

I honestly hate scarf rotom, its the biggest pursuit bait ever, and it just never does that much for me. Plus then losing that I lose some walling power that I really need even though this team functions in a more offensive style.

Dragonite doesn't sound too bad, but I just prefer flygon there. It sounds like it would be good, just not very sure.

Also, a +2 FB from ape 2HKO's blissey iirc.

on a 0 sp.def bliss yea. But focus blast would OHKO that blissey.

Wil o wisp is the reason rotom is not pursuit bait, people see no leftovers and switch in there pursuiter in. Or they see wil o wisp, and people assume that scarf rotom doesn't have wil o wisp, so they assume you are not scarfed.But after is has killed something, it is pursuit bait. It can still switch in, wil o wisp and switch out things you walled before, as after a WoW, then anyone can else can wall it. But if it's killed something it's done it's job, and then infernape can get a free nasty plot on the pursuiter.

I still don't like the idea of scarfing it, just because of the fact that I lose my only bulk. I may test some of these ideas soon though, just noticing some stuff, so we will see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)