Team Anti-Nails! (Gen IV LC rmt)

OK, the title was corny. Get over it. I've always been fascinated with Rain Dance, and I *finally* managed to create a team that was just good enough to work. Without further ado, the team [at a glance]!

The lead: Bronzor @ Damp Rock. Relaxed Nature.
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 8 Atk / 152 Def / 4 SpA / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
~ Rain Dance
~ Psychic
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock

Why Bronzor?

Because I didn't want Voltorb as a lead, obvioiusly. I originally had Voltorb as my lead, but sending it out would automatically scream "Rain Dance Team!" to my opponent. Bronzor is a great lead because of its natural bulk and nifty resistances. There aren't many leads that Bronzor will lose to, but unfortunately, Taunt leads are by far the biggest threat to Bronzor. Anyways, here's how I handle the biggest leads (well, according to the June/July stats, sorry, but that's all I had to work with):

1. Diglett: Stealth Rock, then Psychic, then Rain Dance, then Psychic for the KO. No problems here.
2. Voltorb: It can set up Rain Dance for me! Earthquake twice gets the job done.
3. Kabuto: Don't want to give it a free boost, now do I? I use Stealth Rock as it does, then EQ twice.
4. Hippopotas: Stealth Rock, then Psychic until I trigger Oran, but since it usually doesn't stay in that long, I am either forced out or use Rain Dance.
5. Meowth: take a Fake Out and then use Rain Dance.
6. Machop: I hate Dynamicpunch, but I usually use RD turn 1 then Psychic and pray for hits.
7. Bronzor: Stealth Rock, then Rain Dance, then off to Mantyke.
8. Shuppet: really? Stealth Rock, Psychic twice, then Rain Dance.
9. Houndour: Auto-switch to Chinchou.
10. Phanpy: SR then Rain Dance then off to Mantyke. Have to watch for Head Smash, though.

The supporters:

Munchlax @ Damp Rock. Sassy Nature.
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
~ Rain Dance
~ Return
~ Earthquake
~ Pursuit

Why Munchlax?

Well, what are the two top Pokemon that beat Rain Dance teams? Answer: Chinchou and Snover (sorry Hippopotas, but no one likes you). Munchlax can easily switch in to either of these two, take little damage, and smack both with a Pursuit as they switch out. With Stealth Rock up, Choice Scarf Snover will have 25% health left (about, don't know the exact amount) if it gets hit with Munchy's Pursuit. Body Slam can inflict paralysis, which is always fun. Earthquake hits the Chinchou that decide to stay in, but I like Pursuit better. It also works on Poison-types, most notably Croagunk and Stunky.

Chinchou @ Damp Rock. Calm Nature.
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 52 Def / 80 SpA / 72 SpD / 220 Spe
~ Hydro Pump
~ Thunder
~ Rain Dance
~ Hidden Power Ground

Why Chinchou?

Because it's awesome. That's why. It has a good amount of bulk, as well as decent attacking stats. It can tank a hit or two, set up rain, and smash something with Hydro Pump or Thunder. If Munchlax goes down, Chinchou is my answer to other Chinchou, as well as Croagunk and Stunky. I was debating having an Oran Berry as the held item, but I figured my Swift Swimmers were going to be doing the sweeping, not Chinchou.

The Sweeping Core:

Buizel @ Life Orb. Jolly Nature.
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
~ Waterfall
~ Aqua Jet
~ Return
~ Bulk Up

Why Buizel?

Because I have to have one of my children on my team, that's why. The funny thing was, I actually had to look up the moves on this set. Buizel is my early-game sweeper, as it has some bulk and plenty of attack to smash walls. Return OHKOs Croagunk, which is absolutely great, and Waterfall beats a lot of Pokémon. Aqua Jet allows me to finish off other Pokémon with priority, like Dratini. Bulk Up is mainly filler, but it's pretty much GG for the sad person that lets me get one or two up.

Mantyke @ Life Orb. Modest Nature.
EVs: 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe
~ Hydro Pump
~ Rain Dance
~ Hidden Power Electric
~ Ice Beam

Why Mantyke?

Because having a special sweeper that can OHKO Munchlax is simply amazing. It has done great things when played correctly, and judging by my #1 ranking on the CAP server, I think I know what I'm doing when I send this guy out. I've turned the tide of many battles by setting up Rain Dance, then destroying everything. I've come back from the brink of certain defeat with just three turns.

Kabuto @ Life Orb. Naughty Nature.
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 SpA / 156 Spe
~ Waterfall
~ Aqua Jet
~ Earth Power
~ Rock Slide

Why Kabuto?

I chose Kabuto because I needed an endgame sweeper, one that will work a great amount of the time. I usually don't have Bronzor when I send out Kabuto, so Croagunk will come in and think that it can have a field day. Wrong! A nice, predicted Earth Power nets me a swift KO on Croagunk, and does super effective damage to Chinchou (though I will usually Rock Slide for a possible flinch). Aqua Jet, like Buizel's, allows Kabuto to KO Pokémon with priority, namely Sucker Punch Pokémon (as Kabuto will be outspeeding everything in the rain).

Well, there it is. Opinions / Critiques / Changes are welcome!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Pfft, you only got #1 b/c I was inactive ;P

In all seriousness, good job. The Mantyke is rediculous with the ohko on munchy. A chople Kabuto set could probably be useful for this team, as it lures croagunk who is a pretty big dick to rain dance, but you have mantyke so it's not a huge issue I guess... could still help though. As for the set, I feel lazy right now, so I don't feel like writing up a full writeout, so it's your set with chople berry as an item. I think that Munchy could potentially benefit from an Oran Berry, but I'm not really sure on that, as someone who's seen your team might predict the switch to lax with their chinchou and 2hko it with boosted Hydro Pump, or something like that. Cool team.

Um, isn't Adamant Max Attack Munchy mostly for getting KOs with Return?

According to this

Also, overkill Swift Swim+Paralysis.

So, you should probably run Return.

Or less attack, if you really like Body Slam.

On another note, how well does rain do against sun?

1. changed it to sassy, though I like hitting Snover harder with Pursuit.
2. yeah...return...
3. Rain Dance wins - I'll probably battle someone willing to prove my point. Also, who uses Sunny Day?

Well, I think I recognize this team because I well, beat it :). All of your Pokemon are fine except for two little things. The fact that your Mantyke has a LO, and the fact that Chinchou doesn't have Ice Beam. You should switch out Rain dance on Chinchou for Ice Beam, and put Damp Rock on Mantyke.

I don't recall playing you... and Chinchy really doesn't have the slot for Ice Beam (need HP ground for other Chinchou if munchy goes down), and Life Orb is necessary for the OHKO on Munchlax.

EDIT: Bluewind is the only one who has defeated this team. I've beaten like 3 guys on TU server (and Iloveliza) and have not lost with this team. I lost to Bluewind on CAP, but that's it. Maybe you played a variant of this team?

I already suggested a couple of things to you. Bulk Up is a wasted moveslot on Buizel sadly anything else will be wasted as well. That said Rain Dance here may give it some independance but it is up to you. I still think that Buizel should be something else. Like say a Wynaut.

Chinchou wants an Oran Berry. Munchy wants to lose rain dance. And I still think that Kabuto would prefer Return over Earth Power. If it ohkos Croagunk then it is better than Earth Power.

Now Bronzor is a fine lead for Rain Dance BUT it is the kind of thing you want to keep around. Something that wont be happening if you run into a maggy or wynaut. As far as I know you don't lose any KOs if you don't have rocks so I would suggest using either Aipom or Meowth in the lead slot with a moveset of RD/U-turn/Return/ghost killing move.

Anyway. I just pulled an all nighter so if my suggestions suck sorry.

Just posting to say that I made a team specifically to beat koko and even added nicknames stating what each Pokemon beat, didn't work. Anyway, how do you deal with Scarfchou? Once your own Chinchou dies, you're kind of screwed (assuming rain is not up)

gen iv is kind of over, but Munchlax does ~50% with pursuit, so chinchou only has 4 switch-ins

EDIT: I've actually never found myself without rain dance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)