The Quest for 1500(only got 1423)

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hello, before I go on, I'd like to congratulate you on your success, and I hope you get a suspect vote, since you indeed look like a knowledgeable person.

You mentioned that you never really got to see Garchomp at it's height. One of the sets that really pushed it over the edge 4th gen was the SD Yache set. That trolly Speed stat you mentioned also happens to work on Randorusu/Landlos, and with Yache berry taking away your clean OHKO, you'd be hard-pressed to stop it without a Rock Polish. A once-Danced Outrage looks pretty capable of cleaning you up if Scizor and Garchomp are gone. Your own Garchomp can revenge other SD versions of itself, but watch out for Sand Veil. Speaking of Garchomp, if you are running a Scarf, Fire Blast is almost always the superior option, as it does more damage to Skarmory and Nattorei, even with a hindering nature, at the cost of some accuracy. Scizor's Bullet Punch will still 2HKO it if you can get it locked into Outrage.

If you want something to replace Stealth Rock, I personally would go with Stone Edge, and if not that then I might give Crunch/Payback a try. The problem with the many MixTars I see is that they lack a strong Physical STAB, since Pursuit will rarely OHKO the target if it doesn't switch, such as Specs Latios, whom I highly doubt will be bothered by its other moves. Stone Edge is a stronger STAB option, and Crunch is a more accurate one. Payback I threw in because Tyranitar is, of course, slow, and will be a 100 BP STAB move with 100% accuracy a large percentage of the time. Burungeru and Rankurusu will laugh at that, but T-Tar doesn't like their Will-o-Wisp or Focus Blast, respectively, so you probably won't keep it in on them.

That's all I have to say that isn't a horrible idea in the making. To be honest, I think you have done this up to near perfection, as is evident by your success, but the fact that rain teams are so common makes me wonder how you beat that Water + Ice weakness. I hope you can find some use out of my advice.

i have a few suggestions for chomp is for double chop over dragon claw as it allows you hit twice break subs and focus and by hitting twice it will do more damage

then is for fire blast over fire fang to take natoorei down i don't think you need any more then 12 Sp atk to take it down

Run Psycho Shock on Rank, for Blissey and pals?

Something I noticed was three ice weaknesses and one resist, but Tyranitar can take Ice-attacks well, especially with the defense investment.

I noticed that 4/6 members of your team get walled by Skarm. Apart from being the token Steel-type, Scizor doesn't seem to do much in terms of synergy. Perhaps you could replace it with a Scarftran?

So yeah, nothing to fix. *rips*

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well I'm back after a long day of sleding (I LOVE SNOWDAYS!!!). First off I'd like to take the time to thank everyone who took the time to look/rate.

@Hawkster Surprisingly enough I have not played a well used Yachechomp yet so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness against the team. On too the other suggestion for T-tar. I was thinking, like you, that a strong physical stab move might be appropriate over Stealth Rock so I will definately be trying it out. Like I wrote in my T-Tar section I am normally able to trap and KO politoed and after that rain teams aren't that threatening. And once Rank gets a few CM up it can take almost anything a rain team can throw at it, but like I said I sometimes have problems with rain teams.

@DarthChocoboz I will give dragon chop and fire blast a try on my chomp and see how effective they are.

@Darkamber8828 I really feel that Rank doesn't need Psycho Shock to take on Blissey. Blissey can't touch Rank and Rank can boost up to +6 and take it out. Scizor was kind of thrown on the team after I took off Gyrados so I would agree that it is probably the most replacable member so I will try your suggestion of Heatran over it. On that subject if anyone else has ideas for a member to replace Scizor I am open to suggestions.

choice band scizor will always use bullet punch over u-turn so i suggest you give it a babiri berry to take the hit and counter with fireblast. You should change garchomp to a yache berry and give it fire blast since it hits harder that fire fang because steels usually have high defenses

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
@MasterX You would be surprised how often CB Scizor will U-turn when faced with my T-tar. They seem to expect to outspeed and instead go for a U-turn to get hit full in the face with a fireblast. In all honesty I think only twice out of about twenty times have they gone for the bullet punch when faced with that situation. On to the suggestion for Garchomp, I am in the process of testing fire blast over fang, but the suggestion for yache berry is really out of the question due to my teams need for a scarfer. Thanks for the input.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
Bump... and to say that I was thinking of maybe putting a Magnezone over Scizor and to find out what people think about the idea.

Hello.

Very nice team, and I can't really see any problems with it. There is one thing I'd like to suggest, which is running Trick Room over Calm Mind, as everything but Landlos and Chomp benefit from it and it can allow Rank to clean late game. Calm Mind of course works great as is, but it's just something you might want to consider.

Also, this is more of a preference, but I suggest running Double Chop over Dragon Claw on Garchomp. This allows it to kill annoying things like lead Smeargle and Deo-S, as well as OHKO those stupid Lv.1 Sturdy abuse pokemon. It also allows you to break subs on things like Skymin.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
Tobes I will definately try a trick room rank out, the only problem is that I am in love with the calm mind set. Too bad a species clause exists, right. But double chop would also be nice for those darned inconsistent users so I will probably switch it in. Thanks for the advice.

I would definantly try out magnezone because he is so good in the current meta. You might need to slot in shaymin-S or Lati@s though for extra revenge killing. I don't know.

i have a few suggestions for chomp is for double chop over dragon claw as it allows you hit twice break subs and focus and by hitting twice it will do more damage

then is for fire blast over fire fang to take natoorei down i don't think you need any more then 12 Sp atk to take it down
Not true.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
Jamesb8: I 've been running a balloonzone lately and it hasn't been living up to what I expected. Do you have any sets that you have found particularly effective?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it goes unsaid that this is a very solid team-- it's actually very similar to my current team (though yours is better probably).

The only advice I would like to give is to try Lum Berry Scizor (Swords Dance / Bug Bite / Bullet Punch / Superpower), at least until Darkrai is banned. This pokemon makes an excellent lead against any team you see that has a darkrai . . .

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
Thanks Chou, I have actually seen that used before by other players extremely effectively. I think it would work well on my team as scizor would maintain his revenge killing capabilities granted by bullet punch but would also have the freedom to switch moves. That change would also not make me risk my tyranitar against darkrai leads in an attempt to take the sleep, and would allow me to run balloon on T-Tar. I am going to go try it out right as soon as possible as that really does seem like a good idea.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks like a pretty good team, and obviously you have had success with it. My only real question is the Tyranitar set.

Tyanitar

Lonely252Hp/88Atk/124SpD/44Spe
Lum Berry/Sand Stream
  • Ice Beam
  • Pursuit
  • Superpower
  • Fire Blast
This Tyranitar confuses me a good amount to be honest, as I am not entirely sure what you are aiming to do with it. I don't know why there are 88 EVs in SpA instead of Atk. From my calcs, using Fire Blast and Ice Beam without any EVs investment should KO both Scizor and Shaymin-S respectively. This Tyranitar is also able to survive a LO Shaymin-S Seed Flare in Sandstorm. Using Flamethrower over Fire Blast with the original 88SpA is still able to OHKO max HP Scizor, so that is another option. Note that I did not do calcs for Nattorei, so I am not sire how that is affected. However, Pursuit seems to be the main focus of this set, trying to damage Weather Inducers and Latis, so I feel the 88 EVs should be added to Atk instead. The thing I worry about is repeatedly switching into all the weather inducers and such pokemon and taken damage. With no pokemon offering Wish support and Tyranitar lowering his own defense, I feel that a simple mistake could cost you him and he seems to do a lot for your team. I think possible either Leftovers for recovery, or Expert Belt for added damage (probably Expert Belt to be honest) could be a good item choice over Lum Berry, especially since you can have Breloom as a Darkrai counter.

Hey man,
This is a really cool team and i'd like to congratulate you on your success. Im glad somebody realized the potential of Rock Polish Randorosu even though i cant seem to make it work very well. Anyways, not too much to change here but just a few nitpicks.

Generally i also found SR on S.def Tar to be somewhat hard to put up as he really needs those turn quite badly. Since this team really dsn't have anything else to fit rocks in you could simply forgo it. I would suggest using Ice beam in the filler spot as its generally quite useful against the likes of Gliscor who seems to be a general ass to your team if you loose Rankurusu somehow. It also helps against the Dragons like Nite and Chomp who can easily set up on you as none of them take jackshit from any of your current moves.I would suggest moving the somewhat Filler S.Atk Ev's to S.def to make it as bulky as possible so he can make a more reliable check to the likes of Latios and such. Lum really seems kinda useless from my perspective as Toxic Orb Loom is already a very good status absorber and can make a semi decent check to Darkrai. Although Ice beam variants that seemed to have cropped up are generally quite a pain. Leftovers seems to be the best option as it grants extra survivability and is generally quite useful.

Deffensive CM Ranky really enjoys leftovers and even though LO without recoil is quite tempting i found Leftovers to be generally the best option so he can take as well as possible.

The only real reason to use Dragon Claw on ScarfChomp is to not get locked in Outrage. I would reccomend Double Chop instead of Dragon Claw as it has some extra utility outside of being just a Stab that dsn't lock you in. It helps against Sub abusers like Gengar,Skymin and is so much more helpful that the somewhat shaky accuracy is very much worth it. Fire Blast is deffinetly a better option as your team looks pretty weak against Skarm so the higher Dammage Output against is generally quite helpful.

Sorry i dont have nothing too significant to suggest. This is a great team and i Gl with your team.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
Noob Lyf3 and Ditto thanks for the rates.

I finally swaped out Dragon Claw and Fire Fang for Double Chop and Fire Blast. I decided to more the SpA EV's into defense as Tyranitar really needs the Extra SpD bulk to take special hits. The way I play him I rarely take physical hits so the Brave nature has never been a problem. I swaped out Stealth Rock for Crunch. I was never having the time to use SR and after some deliberation I decided to put Crunch in its place. I choose it over Ice Beam due to the lack of a physical stab and the fact that my team rarely has problems with Gliscor. Normally I can just OHKO opposing gliscor with Rando as most people don't see it coming. The reason I choose to forgo switching Scizor set is the upcoming bans. 1400 was enough to vote and I like a lot of fellow voters feel that Darkrai is broken so the Lum berry set won't be needed as I plan to retire this team outside of script tourneys until after the bans.

Thank you to everyone who has rated so far.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
I am bumping this due to the recent bans. I would like to get everyone's opinions on how this team would fare against the new OU landscape so that I can improve it for the new round of testing. I also decided to keep Lum on T-Tar as I wasn't getting much use out of Leftovers and they abilty to take random statuses is better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)