1st RMT Balanced/Semi-Stall Non-weather team

Hi, this is my first RMT (and 1st Post). However, I’ve been lurking on smogon for pretty long since early 4th gen but just recently got started with 5th gen.​
The team is semi-stall with a focus on entry hazards at the beginning. Shandera is used to take out problem pokemons to open the way for a sweep.​

Genosekuto @ Choice Scarf
Download
Hasty
4 ATT/252 SpA/252 SPE
U-Turn
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower

Genosekuto is my lead/revenge killer. Choice scarf allows it to out speed most of the metagame. U-turn is the most often used move to scout and switch into favourable match-ups. Ice beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower gives great type coverage. Though it has no defensive investments, its typing and decent bulk means it's a reliable switch-in to many attackers as well.

Possible Changes

I’m open to suggestions of another lead.

Shandera @ Choice Scarf
Shadow Tag
Timid​
4HP/252 SpA/252 SPE
Overheat
Shadow ball
HP Fighting
Energy Ball

Shandera is my standard choice-scarf revenge killer/trapper. Overheat and Shadow ball offers dual STABs. Energy ball as a slight surprise to the water types and hidden power fighting as a nasty surprise to tyranitars/dark types. Shandera's trapping ability can easily pave the way to a Jarooda sweep by taking out the steel/grass types.

Possible Changes

Shandera’s unique ability means it is doubtful another can perform the same function. The moveset chould possibly be improved I guess.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers​
Liquid Ooze​
Calm​
252 HP/4 DEF/252 SpD​
Boilover
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Sludgebomb

Specially defensive Tentacruel is a reliable special wall, easily surviving even non-STAB SE hits. Rapid spinning capability is also appreciated due to most of the team vulnerable to entry hazards especially Shandera. Toxic spikes are to outlast the opponent and tentacruel has many opportunities to set-up especially through choice-locked shandera. Finally, Tentacruel also removes toxic spikes on entry so it’s a valuable member which I'm unlikely to remove.

Possible Changes

I’m considering ridding Giga Drain as there are very limited cases where I would use it. Maybe Ice Beam? Or even Hail to screw weather teams up.

Edit: Changed to sludge bomb for another STAB and also poison chance when the opponent switches in when I'm laying the 1st toxic spike layer.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Sturdy​
Impish​
252 HP/252 DEF/4 SPE​
Stealth Rocks
Spikes
Whirlwind
Roost

Skarmory is often the MVP of the team. Physically defensive Skarm easily walls even the most hardcore physical attackers among this gen's power creep such as ononokusu and dory. Sturdy allows a desperate whirlwind when shit hits the fence if no hazards are in play. Double hazards are easy to set-up due to many opportunities to come in. Roost is obligatory without leftovers as shed shell is necessary due with the most popular shandera. Whirlwind shuffles teams to rack up hazard damage. I'm aware it's taunt bait but most of the time, you wouldn't leave Skarm in against a taunter anyway (short of maybe Erufuun?).

Possible Changes

Skarmory is way too useful to change much.​

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb​
Poison Heal​
Impish​
252 HP/200 DEF/56 SPE​
Fling
Acrobat
Protect
Earthquake

Poison Heal Gliscor is my back-up physical wall because skarm is often over-taxed. Offensively, he's no slouch either with dual STABs which does a decent amount after flinging his toxic orb. Gliscor offers valuable electric and ground immunity, also protecting from status once toxic orb kicks in. The speed EVs lets it out speed neutral base 70s (Skarm, Breloom and friends).

Edit: Gliscor has been really useful dealing with top threats like roobushin and dory. I think he's a keeper. =D

Possible Changes

If only he could have Stealth Rocks/Roost. Oh well. Used to have Kojondo as a lead instead of Gliscor on the team but had a serious electric weakness. Not sure what else can provide a similar role.​

New Member:

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Thick Fats
Adamant
4HP/252 Att/252 SpD
Ice Shard
Icicle Drop
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Thick fat Mamoswine is the latest addition to the team. Sporting bolt-beam resistance and being neutral to fire, Mamoswine can come in on a variety of special threats and force them out with powerful moves coming off his Base 130 attack. Choice Band adds the much needed power, especially Ice Shard which is my only piority. The rest of the moves are obvious with Earthquake/Icicle Drop being strong STAB and Stone Edge for coverage. Stone Edge and Icicle Drop both 1HKOs even physically defensive Zapdos with SR support. Mamoswine is beastly enough to survive even shandera's overheat and 2HKO with Icicle Drop if SR is on the opponent's side but not mine.

Possible Changes

Not sure if there is a better choice.

Ex. Member

Jarooda @ Life Orb​
Perversity​
Timid​
4 HP/252 SpA/252 SPE​
Leaf Storm
Hidden Power Ice
Substitute
Glare

Jarooda is my late-game clean-up crew. When everything is weakened through hazards and checks are taken out, leaf-storm spamming can lead to a gg. Max speed to out speed as many targets as possible. Between HP ice and fire I am at a slight dilemma but with shandera to take out the grass/steel and grass/bug (and occasionally heatran when he's low on hp), ice seems a better option for dragonite and zapdos. Substitute is when the opponent is obviously going to protect/status block and glare is there mainly because Jarooda doesn't have much options.

Possible Changes

Although the team seems to be built around a Jarooda sweep, I personally feel that he seems to be the most expendable member.​

Dream World Tier Top Threats -

# 1 - Shandera (26.48 %) – Tentacruel walls all variants, even those with psychic. Genosekuto is faster and can revenge. When desperate Shandera can try to speed-tie.

# 2 - Roobushin (14.68 %) – Gliscor pretty much destroys it with fling and acrobat. Skarmory can also whirlwind it out. Shandera can try and kill once its low on HP.

# 3 - Nattorei (14.67 %) – Since I have Tentacruel, I’m not too worried about hazards and status attacks don’t matter much to Tentacruel and Skarmory so I set-up on him. Shandera traps and kills non-shed shell variants. Lack of recovery means it won’t last long.

# 4 - Breloom (14.09 %) – Slight problem here. If Gliscor has not been poisoned, and Breloom is on something it outspeeds, I will lose someone to sleep. After that Shandera deals with him easily enough unless it runs substitute/stone-edge. Skarm can phase it away and gliscor can stall/acrobat non-SD variants.

# 5 - Tyranitar (13.93 %) – Often revenges Shandera. Slight problem due to the wide variety it may be. Gliscor can check unless it carries ice beam. Same for Skarm except for fire blast. Tentacruel deals with the luring Pursuit/Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Superpower type. Shandera can revenge with HP fighting.

# 6 - Doryuuzu (12.79 %) – Gliscor and Skarmory both check it pretty well.

# 7 - Ditto (12.06 %) – No one really good for Ditto to transform into. And Shandera/Genosekuto can easily revenge.

# 8 - Blaziken (11.49 %) – Gliscor can take a +2 hit and KO back. Only problem is if it runs overheat or some cheer-up set. Baton Pass sets could also be a slight problem. Genosekuto outspeeds and can KO if Blaziken took entry hazard damage.

# 9 - Jarooda (10.91 %) – Shandera/Genosuketo can deal with it unless hax strikes (or Glare on switch and HP fire for geno) Mamoswine can OHKO it as well.

# 10 - Garchomp (10.20 %) – Skarm does it if no Fire Blast. Gliscor is fine too but may not be able to do much except fling. Mamoswine can Ice Shard it.

Okay, I'm going to start getting back into team rating with this post, but I don't have much time so I'll just make a quick post, I would suggest changing Tentacruel's ability to Rain Dish, it doesn't really hurt it to not have Clear Body and it will let you stand up to Rain Dance teams a bit better. I would also suggest Sludge Bomb > Giga Drain for the Dual STAB. I'll come back to this post but I gotta go help my mom pick up stuff for the house. -.-

Okay, here comes the edit, and since I can, I'll also reply to the below post.

Liquid Ooze allows me to deal with Roobushin/Zuruzukin's drain punch and the occasional leech seed. Hmm what would sludge bomb be useful for? Giga Drain at least allows me to out-stall Pringles one of the more popular spin-blockers.
Wouldn't they use like Stone Edge or something against you and not a resisted attack anyway?? Maybe I'm not playing the right way... I can see where Giga Drain would be helpful although, I'm not quite sure what Pringles is, unless thats the Water/Ghost in which case I do know.

I would also give Skarm a few Speed EVs, like 20 or so so that it can outspeed slower walls and such like not max speed Ttar and stuff along those lines, as well as people who still run 16 spe Skarmory. As well as the fact that 252 hp /252 def is major overkill. x_x

Other than that it looks pretty good. Scarf Heatran looks like it could give you some trouble if it has HP Ice/Fire Blast/Earthpower but otherwise I can't see any real threats, but I'm not exactly up-to-date on BW as it is.

Okay, I'm going to start getting back into team rating with this post, but I don't have much time so I'll just make a quick post, I would suggest changing Tentacruel's ability to Rain Dish, it doesn't really hurt it to not have Clear Body and it will let you stand up to Rain Dance teams a bit better. I would also suggest Sludge Bomb > Giga Drain for the Dual STAB. I'll come back to this post but I gotta go help my mom pick up stuff for the house. -.-

Liquid Ooze allows me to deal with Roobushin/Zuruzukin's drain punch and the occasional leech seed. Hmm what would sludge bomb be useful for? Giga Drain at least allows me to out-stall Pringles one of the more popular spin-blockers.

Thanks for the rate btw!

Edit:

Wouldn't they use like Stone Edge or something against you and not a resisted attack anyway?? Maybe I'm not playing the right way... I can see where Giga Drain would be helpful although, I'm not quite sure what Pringles is, unless thats the Water/Ghost in which case I do know.

I would also give Skarm a few Speed EVs, like 20 or so so that it can outspeed slower walls and such like not max speed Ttar and stuff along those lines, as well as people who still run 16 spe Skarmory. As well as the fact that 252 hp /252 def is major overkill. x_x

Other than that it looks pretty good. Scarf Heatran looks like it could give you some trouble if it has HP Ice/Fire Blast/Earthpower but otherwise I can't see any real threats, but I'm not exactly up-to-date on BW as it is.
Must Roobusin run Bulk-up/Mach Punch/Drain Punch/Payback. Yar Pringles is the water/ghost =)

I will try Skarmory with more speed EVs. Any benefit though? Out-running other skarmory seems kinda pointless since I have no taunt.

I think Sub+3 attack Heatran seems more dangerous. Tentacruel is not even 2HKOed by earthpower so it seems like a safe check. HP ice is also pretty rare on Heatran in which case gliscor can scout for it with protect.

24 hr Bump. Any comments would be appreciated.

I've been trying to run skarmory with some speed investments to out whirlwind other skarmory. I have also shifted the SpA EVs on Genosekuto to Attack since I just spam U-turn all the time anyway.

Zapdos OHKO's your whole team with stealth rock down and a moveset of
Zapdos @ Life Orb
EV's: Specialy Bulky (100 SpD) - Modest
Roost
Heat Wave - Genosekuto, Jarooda
HP Ice - Gliscor
Thunder Bolt - Skarmory, Tentacruel, Sandera
It can roost off damage from your scarfers and Jarooda who can't do nearly enough damage - according to my damage calculator - with Leaf Storm / HP Ice, U-turn (Boosted) / Ice Beam. Overheat is your best bet but if Zapdos is specially bulky it may not do enough. I assume you could beat it if you used Genosekuto HP Ice then Shandera with overheat but this involves sacrificing your scarfer and alows you to be setup on from a weakend overheat. Somthing like Blaziken could then proceed to sweep the rest of your team. (Just an example)

My recomendation would be Snorlax like this who could easily spongue Special attacks and beat Zapdos and Shandera (who doesn't worry you to much, except Jarooda, but is on 1/4 teams)

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD - Adamant
Body Slam / Return (if you don't want to screw up Toxic Spikes)
Pursuit
Crunch
Earthquake
It could go over Genosekuto who doesn't seem to important? (But Useful)

Anyway the team looks really great I couldn't make one this good and I hope I helped; as this is my first ever proper - sort of - rate.

P.S. Skarmory has a Life Orb, I think you mean Shed Shell

Zapdos OHKO's your whole team
Hmm quite true. I think all bolt-beamers in general give trouble. For now I've been relying on switch in to Genosekuto/Shandera on an ice move aimed at gliscor but a bulky set would definately cause trouble.

Snorlax or another special sponge seems really useful though replacing genosekuto would require another lead. And U-turn is just so useful XD. I think I could try him over Jarooda with a non-choice set.

Oh thanks for spotting the mistake. lol at my 30% extra struggle damage skarmory!

Update: Been testing CB Snorlax in Jarooda's slot and it seems to do pretty good. Only issue is the lack of recovery and getting stuck in return on a set-up shandera. STAB Return really dents everything once shandera rids the ghosts.

Thick fat Mamoswine seems another option. It resists bolt-beam and packs a powerful piority. Still runs the same shandera problem though it may KO shandera it it took prior damage

Changed Jarooda to Mamoswine.

Seems to be working pretty well. Most of my losses seems to be from random hax/ hardcore rain offense (especially MixDra). Not sure how to counter that without compromising on other matchups.

Wow I really like this team ^.^. It has almost all threats covered pretty well and can differ itself from your everyday Bog Standard Team. Generally the most notable flaw to this team is probably a pretty notable weakness to Bulky waters and water type attacks in general.This team also somewhat struggles aginst Stall but its not too significant. It has only 1 resist to water in the form of Tentacruel while having 3 weaks. Other then Tentacruel and perhaps Genosekuto this team really cant touch your everyday Suicune, Kerudio and such and even so Tenta isn't far too reliable at performing such a role. While Toxic Spikes and Multiple revenge killers somewhat ease this i still find this the biggest Problem of the team.

From my perspective i find Gliscor to be the weakest link to the team. His role of a physical Pivot and Revenge killer is already coverred pretty well by Skarmory and most threats he checks is also already done by others. So to help with your Water weakness i would suggest replacing him with a SpecsLatios. The set is

Latios @ Choice Specs
252 S.Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp
Timid
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fire
-Trick

Latios helps this problem immensely with its high Powered Meteors,Resistence to Water and great Special Bulk. Latios brings some great synergy into the table and works as a generally good team player. Besides a Dragon in general is quite handy to have due to their amazing power and utility. Most of the things that Gliscor checked such as Robushing,Breloom,Ken etc can also be coverred by Latios. Besides Trick also is quite useful aginst stall making a member effectively useless. The Choice between Thunderbolt and Hidden Power is completely up to you deppending on what you want to check. And Psychic is also an option for generally covering Fighting types better.

All i had to say Gl with your team.

Just an update on what I've been doing. The team's doing pretty ok (reached the finals of a tourney) but a major issue I have spotted is against rain teams. I'm not too sure what to do against politoed leads. Normally I U-turn to tentacruel but if they use hypnosis and it hits, I'm in a really bad position and can't deal well with all the special swift-swim sweepers. Should I invest more in SpA to OHKO politoed with genosukuto?

Latios @ Choice Specs
252 S.Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp
Timid
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fire
-Trick
Latios doesn't seem to be helping as these water sweepers usually carry Ice moves and Kingdra in particular carries Draco-Meteor/Outrage.

Thus, I'm still looking for a good all-round rain counter. Ditto? =(

Thanks for the rate btw!

I suggest changing Sludge Bomb to Acid Bomb on Tentacruel, as the SplDef drops will force switches and help you rack up more entry hazard damage.

As for a rain counter, Latias has a much higher Special Defense, and can run an effective Trick Specs set, with Trick / Draco Meteor / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fire would be a great choice, as it can easily take even a Draco Meteor at full health from Kingdra.

I suggest changing Sludge Bomb to Acid Bomb on Tentacruel, as the SplDef drops will force switches and help you rack up more entry hazard damage.

As for a rain counter, Latias has a much higher Special Defense, and can run an effective Trick Specs set, with Trick / Draco Meteor / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fire would be a great choice, as it can easily take even a Draco Meteor at full health from Kingdra.
I doubt tentacruel is capable of forcing many switches with no SpA investment. Sludge bomb allows the poison chance which is helpful sometimes. BUT it could allow Shandera to get some KOs it wouldn't normally so I will try it.

I ran a calculation and couldn't see Latias surviving Draco Meteor unless Kingdra ran 0 SpA. Further making it worse is the likelihood that Latias must tank a Hydro pump and entry hazards coming in so chances of survival is slim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)