1b Introduction
1c Team building process
2a The Team
2b Previous members/currently testing members
2c Conclusion
2d Credits
3a Threat list

Introduction

What's up Smogon! I'm pretty new here, but what do ya know! My first few posts just happen to be an RMT of my new team, titled "Team of (V)Torment" Yeah, pathetic name is pathetic, but I couldn't just steal philip7086's team of torment title, this isn't a complete rip-off of his team, and I'm just a failure at creating titles in general, so I had pretty much no choice. I've always been a rather lousy team builder, but I'd consider this one of my best teams by far.

Onto the team, this team is an anti-sandstorm balanced team, featuring torment with tyranitar, a unique poke to have torment with. I've always had a thing for gimmicks, custom sets, and original teams, so this was formed. I have to say I take no credit for only the IDEA of this team, it was philip7086's "team of torment" an RMT he posted around a year ago, that inspired me to use this idea of using torment. Also I highly recommend you read the team building process section just to understand my thought process behind choosing a pokemon.

I think my biggest issue with this team is that the team synergy is poor, with only one resistant to dragon, and one resistant to ice, so this is where I need your help.

Another reason I'm making this RMT is that I've been struggling to hit a rating that I'm happy with, the top I've reached is around 1250 on the PO server, and around 1200 on the smogon server, so I need help.

Without further ado, I present to you my creation; Team of (V)Torment.

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

Unlike most team building process, I decided to make a checklist of things I needed that support my Tyranitar, so here it was:
Spikes []
Stealth rocks []
Trick []
Defensive wall []
Special defensive wall []
Phazer []
Toxic Spikes []
Ghost []

First off I needed my torment user, and that was tyranitar, some may ask why not heatran? Well TTar has higher bulk and higher physical attack, and it defiantly catches people off guard, and once it's counters are eliminated, it can annoy the hell out of people. So tyranitar has earned a safe first spot on my team.

I started to look at the checklist, and decided to start with hazards, since the checklist was long and I only had five spots, I needed one poke to cover multiple roles, and I decided on nattoeri as my spiker and stealth rocks user, with it's nice overall bulk, he made the second spot on my team.
Checklist so far:
Spikes [X]
Stealth rocks [X]
Trick []
Defensive wall []
Special defensive wall [X]
Phazer []
Toxic Spikes []
Ghost []

Next I looked at Phazing, and preferably also filling a walling role, I found wallchomp surprisingly useful, and it can abuse a little sand veil and what not, so garchomp was added.
Checklist so far:
Spikes [X]
Stealth rocks [X]
Trick []
Defensive wall [X]
Phazer [X]
Toxic Spikes []
Ghost []

With trick support, torment works more efficiently by making foes struggle, so I needed a tricker, I decided to sue a bulky specs Rotom-W, my main hitter on this team.
Checklist so far:
Spikes [X]
Stealth rocks [X]
Trick [X]
Defensive wall [X]
Phazer [X]
Toxic Spikes []
Ghost []

Now I looked at ghosts, burunkeru was my first thought, since it has perfect coverage with weakness with nattoeri, however this team needed more offensive power, just rotom isn't enough, so I went with gengar, also giving me a resistant to grass and an immunity to ground.
Checklist so far:
Spikes [X]
Stealth rocks [X]
Trick [X]
Defensive wall [X]
Phazer [X]
Toxic Spikes []
Ghost [X]

I needed a lead, I figured nattoeri could work, but I wanted something better, and preferably able to set up toxic spikes, as that's the last thing missing on my list, surprisingly, nidoqueen despite being NU in gen IV, works in this slot perfectly, so she was added.
Checklist so far:
Spikes [X]
Stealth rocks [X]
Trick [X]
Defensive wall [X]
Phazer [X]
Toxic Spikes [X]
Ghost [X]

AT A GLANCE:

The Team:

Balls2BeOU (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
Toxic Spikes
Roar
Fire Blast
Earthquake

Summary:
Well you may be wondering, what the heck is nidoqueen doing in OU? Well, to be completely honest with you, nidoqueen has been one of my favorite poke for entry hazards since gen 4, I've used it for stealth rocks in UU, and toxic spikes for OU, it can get both layers up 90% of the time, if I see a non-levitating/flying poison type in their team I won't lead with it and save it for when I kill the poison type. Fire blast hits many common pokes in this generation, such as skarmory, nattoeri, forretress etc. While earth power hits pokemon like tyranitar, non-balloon heatran and such for STAB damage and finally if there's a poke I can't touch after setting up I just phase them out with roar.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
With EVs I just went all out physical defense since most attacking leads are physical based, and if status leads such as erufuun, smergeal, machamp. Relaxed nature should be rather self explanatory since it needs all around balanced, so losing speed isn't too big of a deal.

Team Synergy:
Rotom, gengar
Rotom
Nattoeri, rotom
Psychic: Nattoeri, tyranitar

Barbly (Nattorei) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
Thunder Wave
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Power Whip

Summary:
I've used nattoeri in almost all of my battles and it never gets old. NEVER. It's a hell of a physical wall, while also being able to take special hits rather well. Spikes is huge for my team as it supports the MVP of this team. Thunder wave is to make foes slower, most likely pokes that aren't affected by toxic spikes, as this team isn't really fast and has no scarfers. Stealth rocks is also very key for me to win games as it hits everything that spikes doesn't, and power whip is for general STAB, nattoeri is also underestimated for it's base 94 attack, so it can dish out hard hits against non-bulky water types or other types that are grass week.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
The EVs on this guy are to maximize it's special bulk, as I don't have a special wall here, so it'd be logical to go with careful and max SDef, leftovers are here instead of shed shell because this guy really needs recovery, and magnezones aren't seen so often in this generation, and if I see that they have one in the team previews I won't bring him in so easily.

Team Synergy:
Rotom, tyranitar, gachomp
Gengar, nidoqueen

MahDolly (Gengar) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Substitute
Pain Split
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Summary:
Originally burungeru was here, but gengar was replaced since I needed the fighting, ground, and grass resistances/immunities. Substitute is quite easy for gengar to set up, while blocking rapid spins, sandstorm, life orb, and substitute can lower gengar's HP very easily allowing it do do quite some damage to foes at full HP with pain split. Shadow ball for STAB, matched with focus blast gives it perfect coverage allowing it to hit every single pokemon in the game for at least neutral damage.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
Timid nature to abuse gengar's high speed to set up fast substitutes, life orb to take extra damage not to mention powering up it's moves, and the EVs are pretty standard, basically maxing out both of the stats it needs.

Team Synergy:
Nattoeri, tyranitar
Nattoeri, tyranitar
Nattoeri, tyranitar

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
Dragon Tail
Rest
Sleep Talk
Earthquake

Summary:
Wallchomp is a beast. Nuff' said. This garchomp is so awesome, with an underestimated base 95 defense and massive base 108 HP, access to the rest-talk combo and phazing, it makes an amazing tank also being able to deal damage while phazing with STAB dragon tail, earthquake for things that take super effective against. Rest to get rid of status and heal up, then sleep talk to either phase things away or deal damage with earthquake. The cool thing with sleep talk is if you get a negative priority move and you're faster than your opponent, you go first! And since chomp has such high base speed, it can outspeed many pokes without speed investment.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
Pretty straight forward, maximizing it's bulk EV wise, leftovers for constant recovery and impish nature to take physical hits better.

Team Synergy:
Rotom.
Nattoeri.

3D Spin (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 64 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
Volt Change
Hydro Pump
Hidden Power [Ice]
Trick

Summary:
While rotom lost it's ghost typing, there was a mixed reaction, some forms dropped to the bottom, rotom-W however has no become probably the best of all forms, with only one weakness and five resistances. Basically it's job is to either scout with STAB volt change or dish out as much damage as possible with STAB hydro pump or HP ice, also volt change with HP ice create the infamous bolt-beam combo. When tyranitar prepares to come in, it tricks it's specs to any non-choices foe to lock themselves into a move, then the MVP shines!

EVs, Nature, and Item:
Max special attack with modest nature and specs just to abuse rotom's high special attack stat to hit foes as hard as possible. 192 HP along with 64 Def allows it to have some bulk, defense investments was made because many common grass attacks are special based except for power whip, which burungeru can take on and burn.

Team Synergy:
Nattoeri, gengar

MVPTar (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 96 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
Torment
Substitute
Protect
Crunch

Summary:
Well well, we're finally at the MVP of this team, this tyranitar is my own custom everything, and it's one heck of a poke! I usually bring this guy in if I need sandstorm OR when everything is set up he comes in and dominates. Usually I trick a poke that I think I can't kill with rotom, then bring in TTar, torment, then sub up as they struggle, and continue to protect, crunch, and stall them out of struggle recoil! If it's not their last, I make sure I have a counter that can take care of it. Crunch is my basic STAB move, it's not the best coverage, probably worse than stone edge, but it's there for the PP and the accuracy, fire punch has been tested but failed to work better than crunch.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
The EVs on this guy had some thought put into, 240 HP is for maximum lefies gain, which is very important for a torment set, 96 speed for outpseeding subseed breloom, one of it's counters, it isn't capable of outrunning any other set, so 96 speed is viable, dumping the rest into defense with a +defense nature to maximize overall bulk since it gets a sandstorm boost. Leftovers is obvious again, no explaining required.

Team Synergy:
Nattoeri, gengar
Nattoeri, rotom
Gengar, nidoqueen
Rotom, gengar
Nattoeri, rotom
Nidoqueen, gengar

Previous team members:

Burungeru used to be here for my spinblocker, but I replaced him with gengar since gengar provided the team with more useful resistances, and burungeru just added weaknesses to this team besides from ice, after replacing him I didn't look back.

Gyarados used to be my phaser, however it was easily outclassed by garchomp in sandstorm, the only thing I've missed is the useful intimidate, so no big deal in losing him

Currently testing:
Balanced spread on nattoeri suggested by SilentRevolver
HP Fire on rotom-W
New spread for garchomp, suggested by min min

CONCLUSION:
Well, you've seen the team now, and I'm sure you all have different opinions, I just want to let you guys know that I'm not really a good teambuilder, in fact, I've only started playing with proper teams since gen V, in gen IV I mainly just trolled with six random pokes on wifi. So if there are some mistakes I made regarding the metagame then please correct me, I'm open to all constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement.

Rate, hate w/e. Just don't steal without permission.

Credits:
Blaze Kickin Chicken- An awesome team builder, he helped me with my torment set, and taught me a few little things
Philip7086- My ultimate inspiration to create this team. It was his torment team that made torment tran popular, and hopefully this team will prove that tyranitar can abuse torment too.

Hey PunkWafflez I got your PM!
First off I'd like to say I like the team you are using, and Torment Tyranitar is awesome! However, I would suggest a few changes.
One I would max HP on Tyranitar to allow his Sub to never be broken by Night Shade or Seismic Toss. To keep the 96Speed EV's just take the extra 12EV's for Hp from Defence.
Second I see that your Natorei is meant to be a Special wall and I find the EV's rather wasted. I suggest that you use this EV spread.
Natorei
Nature-Careful
Item-Leftovers
EV's-252Hp 160Def 96SpDef
IV's- 0Spe
Moves-Leech Seed, Spikes, Gyro Ball, Power Whip
This Natorei is a great mixed wall and can easily set up Spikes and force switches via Leech Seed. EV's Maximize Bulk and the 0speed IV is to power up Gyro Ball.

Third I would replace Gengar for Burungeru, yes Gengar has more Speed and power but Burungeru spin blocks a lot better and based on the way your team looks you are aiming for stall. A simple 252Hp 60Def 196SpDef spread with a Bold Nature will do just fine. With the moves Shadow Ball, Boil Over, Will-O-Wisp, and Recover.

Other than that the team looks good. I may come back to Rate again later if I find anymore problems.
Good luck!
p.s Torment Tyranitar FTW!

Barbly (Nattorei) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
Thunder Wave

Spikes

Stealth Rock

Power Whip

I believe that that combination is ilegal is it not?

Edit: Oh, never mind. That's Leech Seed+Stealth Rock. Sorry.

You're team seems well put together and conceptualized. Starmie seems to be a re-occuring problem, seeing as BoltBeam+Hydro Pump hit Tyranitar, Nidoqueen, Garchomp, and even Gengar with neutral, pretty hard. I could see how nattorei could help, but it could still either trick you, or switch to Shanderaa/Magnezone, and its survivability is quwstionable if you don't run leech seed.

Tyrant626
I believe that that combination is ilegal is it not?

Edit: Oh, never mind. That's Leech Seed+Stealth Rock. Sorry.
Leech Seed and Stealth Rock can be obtained from the fourth generation starter whose name I forget but will soon be saying it TORTERRA. there we go. The only illegal combination of Spikes/Stealth Rock/Leech Seed is having all three on one set.

I.Love.Your.Garchomp.

I really like the team, and I'm glad people see the potential in Nidoqueen this generation. I would simply watch out for a lead Heatran. You cant touch it, [Fire Blast might even KO? I haven't calc'd] and you're forced to reveal some of your core really early. Rotom won't like a Fire Blast, especially since there is no leftovers, and then Tyranitar would be your other switch - who quite frankly doesn't want to be used until Toxic Spikes have been played on the field. If you made Rotom bulkier, it would allow you to take the hits better. Not quite sure what specs is doing for ya here, maybe I'm missing something.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Bold: 252HP/144Def/64spDef/48SpAtk

Hydro Pump, Volt Change, Wil-o-wisp, Hidden Power [Ice/Fire]

If you choose to go with HP fire, Nattorei can't wall you, and you don't have to worry about it setting up on you. Spikes hurts your team a significant amount!

First of all, thanks everyone for the rates! ^^ I'll respond to them individually

@SilentRevolver
I'll test the 101 HP subs, as it seems quite effective. However, I have different thoughts of your two other suggestions:
A. I'll replace the EVs for nattoeri, however I need the moveset as it is since stealth rocks+spikes are both crucial for my team, and it's the only poke that can learn it so I'm forced to keep both and leave out leech seed.
B. Burungeru may seem good at a glance, but gengar provides more useful resistances to my team, such as grass and ground, since scarf warubiaru probably rapes my team once rotom is down, with stab EQ and overconfidence, after a boost, it can OHKO/2HKO everything on my team. Gengar, however gets a free sub from it.

@Tyrant626
I actually agree that starmie may be a minor threat but it takes some time to handle, if it's the choiced version, I need to predict what he'll lock himself into or else I lose a poke, and that usually isn't too hard. If it's the LO variant, nattoeri comes in and takes those hits like they're nothing. However, do you have any suggestions to fix that problem?

@CoolTrainer
First of all, I.Love.My.Garchomp.Too.
Specs is needed on my rotom, as it usually tricks before it dies to make use of torment with TTar easier, since the more choiced mons they have the easier they struggle with torment. However, I'll test HP fire on rotom, you make a good point of hitting nattoeri.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Keep em' coming!

Wallchomp can have better EVs, specifically on the special side to help it take Fire Blasts and the like. Lemme dig out my team...

But first, I have to say your RMT is solid, the format is great, I'm just a little iffy on the colours.

EDIT: Ah, here is is: 176 HP/64 Atk/176 Def/92 SDef. These give it as much bulk as the standard Gen IV Swampert, along with a much higher attack. I've seen this guy take Heatran's Dragon Pulses like a champ and KO back. Heck, it even survives Scarf Flygon's Outrage,

@Min min
I'll try your EVs out, the examples you gave makes it quite tempting =P Anyways, thanks for the rate, if any suggestions work out, I'll make the change.

I like the team, but I recommend you run Hidden Power Grass over Ice on Rotom-W because your team might be screwed against Swamperts if Nattorei is down, and if you send in Rotom-W on Swampert, it can just roar you into someone you don't want, forcing a switch, but the opponent might predict and keep phazing for extra Stealth Rock damage. I just think that Hidden Power Grass is the better option. Takes out bulky waters and ground types.

Also, about half your team is Kingdra weak, so I recommend running a better physical wall over Garchomp, cause otherwise you might be screwed when Nattorei and Rotom-W are down.

All I have to say for now, keep the good work.

EDIT: Consider a Kerudio counter :>

@Fossul
First of all, thanks for the rate!
I personally don't think HP grass might work for rotom, I'm currently testing HP fire, which works wonders, also if I see they have a pert in team previews I know I will have to keep nattoeri healthy to take on the pert.
Kindra does kinda screw over my team at times, however I do have two counters as you yourself mentioned, I need to watch out for rain teams, as I can bring in TTar to eliminate the rain when they bring out their sweepers.

Dam you kerudio D:<
I'll skype you if you wanna talk about other stuff =P

Why don't you use Encourage/Sheer Force on Nidoqueen? I don't know if it is illegal with one of you moves, but if it is not, it will make FB and Earthpower (you put EQ instead of it) hit harder.

@MajorGambit
I don't think encourage is released on nidoqueen, I'll check that however, because I remember myself testing that once. Thanks anyways though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)