Swalot (Update) [GP 2/2]

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/swalot
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Overview]

<p>Swalot has always been looked upon as a lesser version of Muk, as with its lower HP and Special Defense stats, along with certain key moves missing from its moveset, it is quite easy to make this mistake. However, it does have more balanced defenses and a greater supporting movepool with access to Encore, which makes it a much better mixed wall than the purple slime could ever hope to be. Although its lack of resistances make it hard to wall certain foes, the Purple Bag Pokemon is an underrated threat that can whip up a storm in UU.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Encore
move 2: Yawn
move 3: Pain Split
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Ice Beam
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
ability: Liquid Ooze
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Swalot has competition from Muk and Weezing as a Poison-type wall, it manages to separate itself by being the only one of the three to have access to Encore. Encore allows Swalot to effectively stop setup sweepers and certain walls from using Swalot as setup fodder.
Yawn is used to effectively cripple any switch-ins, and also stops the majority of setup sweepers indifferent to Encore. Pain Split is Swalot's only way of recovering health outside of Rest, and although it is rather unreliable, Swalot's low HP stat usually makes up for this. The last moveslot is up to personal preference, although STAB Sludge Bomb is usually the better choice, Ice Beam can be used to hit dual Grass-types like Venusaur harder.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Leftovers is basically mandatory on any wall for extra recovery, though Black Sludge can be used if Swalot is using Sticky Hold as its ability. The given EVs maximize Swalot's defensive prowess, while the small amount of HP EVs make Pain Split much more effective. The nature is chosen to complement its bulk on the special side, whilst Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability to stop SubSeeders in their tracks.</p>

<p>This set highly appreciates the presence of entry hazards, as both Encore and Yawn will cause many switches when used together. Toxic Spikes are highly recommended in this case as it allows Swalot to defeat Water-types more easily. As for teammates, Swalot appreciates Pokemon that can cover both its Psychic- and Ground-type weaknesses. Slowbro is the most effective candidate against Ground-types, as it can hit back hard with STAB Surf, but Spiritomb is a better option against Psychic-types, turning those counters into setup fodder. In general, setup sweepers appreciate how Swalot can cripple other setup sweepers and walls with Encore.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Eathquake
item: Leftovers
nature: Sassy
ability: Liquid Ooze / Sticky Hold
evs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Swalot has higher HP and Special Defense stats than Weezing, thus creating a niche of being a Poison-type that is bulky on both ends. These attributes allow Swalot to run a viable RestTalk set. Sludge Bomb is for STAB and allows Swalot to hit other Pokemon for a reasonable amount of damage. Earthquake is required to hit Steel-types that are immune to Swalot's STAB, and often catches many switch-ins off guard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Swalot walls any specially-oriented version of the versatile Venusaur 100% with this set. Leftovers is the preferred item on any wall, as it provides longetivity, although if Sticky Hold is the chosen ability, Black Sludge can be used as an alternate recovery option. The EVs give Swalot good defenses on both sides, and a Sassy nature complements this whilst allowing Swalot to have a slightly more powerful mixed moveset. Liquid Ooze is the preferred ability as it allows Swalot to wall Leech Seed users more effectively, but Sticky Hold is also effective to prevent Trick.</p>

<p>This set is built for survivability, and as such, Wish support is highly recommended. Entry hazards also work well with this set as many Pokemon will be forced to switch in and out, or risk being hit by one of its high-power moves. Bulky Grass-type Pokemon such as Venusaur, Leafeon, and to a lesser extent, Meganium are effective against the Ground-types that wall Swalot. Hitmontop can defeat Steel-types such as Registeel and Steelix that like to come in on this set, and can also get rid of entry hazards with Rapid Spin, which goes a long way in adding to this set's survivability.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Stockpile can be used to boost Swalot's defenses to ridiculous levels, but it is pretty outclassed by other Pokemon, and not just Muk either, in that role. Toxic can be used to help wear down bulky Pokemon into the KO range, and is especially effective against bulky Water-types. Counter can be used to screw over physical sweepers such as Donphan, but can also be used in conjunction with a Shuca Berry to net a surprise KO. Explosion can be used to try and faint something before Swalot faints itself. Curse can also replace Sludge Bomb on the RestTalk set in conjunction with a Careful nature to create a physical boosting tank.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Gastrodon and Quagsire wall the purple blob well due to their typing, but should be wary as Yawn and Toxic can cripple them. Scyther can come in on anything but Ice Beam and proceed to KO Swalot. Kabutops can use Swalot as setup fodder, but only if Swalot lacks Earthquake. Steelix and Registeel can take pretty much anything Swalot can throw at them and bring it down with Earthquake, but both should be wary of Yawn on the switch. Grumpig and Hypno are decent but they cannot take repeated Earthquakes too well.</p>

Why run Ice Beam/EQ over STAB Sludge Bomb/Gunk Shot? It seems the original analysis was written with OU in mind.

Also why was the RestTalk set removed? Given the popularity of Venusaur, this seems like a good switch-in. Something like

Gunk Shot / Sludge Bomb
Curse / Earthquake
Rest
Sleep Talk

I've added Sludge Bomb to the set, but I will answer your question. RestTalk on Swalot is just inferior to a number of other RestTalkers in UU, and it just isn't powerful or bulky enough due to his typing and stats to make it a standard set.
Sorry, but I think it only deserves a mention in the OC.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
you should at least mention stockpile in alternate options, as it fairly bulky, and can make use of the boosts in conjunction with rest or pain split

Mention Curse in OC and that it's inferior to Muk... and pretty much anything else :/

Mention Explosion. I shouldn't even have to explain why it merits a mention.

Block could be mentioned in conjunction with Encore or Toxic.

Maybe Destiny Bond too? Swalot's slow, but meh.

I stand by the theory that RestTalk just isn't good enough on Swalot.
Except that Swalot has higher SpD and HP than Weezing and thus a niche in that it is a RestTalker that is bulky on both sides of the spectrum and checks Special variants of Venusaur better than Weezing, as well as SubSeeders thanks to Liquid Ooze. I mean sure, it's outclassed by Registeel, but that's true of a lot of RestTalkers, and Swalot gets a nice poison chance to go with its attacks. I'd make a set for it, honestly. At least test it or let somebody else test it.

None of your options for the last slot of the RestTalk set make any sense. Ice Beam can't hit Steel-types hard, it's inneffective against them. Also, Shadow Ball is neutral to Fighting-types, so a STAB Sludge Bomb will always do more damage.

I suggest dropping them both for Earthquake, as YaM suggested originally. It allows Swalot to check Arcanine and Steel-types as well as Grass-types like Venusaur, making him a damn good option against the omnipresent Fire-Water-Grass team core. This is something that neither RestTalk Registeel nor Weezing can boast. It'll also give him a weapon against his most common switch-ins: Steel-types and Rhyperior.

Change the nature to Sassy so he doesn't lose his Attack stat, instead lowering his already pitiful Speed.

You forgot to remove the bit about RestTalk being inferior from Optional Changes.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Please please PLEASE mention that this thing can 100% wall Special Venusaur -- it's the main selling point of Swalot. Also, be sure to mention the ability that Swalot is using; Liquid Ooze looks preferable because there are quiet a few Leech Seeders, but mention Sticky Hold in AC.

Completely remove Sludge Bomb's slash with Pain Split in the first set. Swalot isn't doing much with no recovery at all. I'd just main Ice Beam and take out Shadow Ball; Mismagius isn't taking much of anything from it anyways. I don't think it's a 3HKO with Leftovers, after I calced it.

Make the changes and this is approved.

Completely remove Sludge Bomb's slash with Pain Split in the first set. Swalot isn't doing much with no recovery at all. I'd just main Ice Beam and take out Shadow Ball; Mismagius isn't taking much of anything from it anyways. I don't think it's a 3HKO with Leftovers, after I calced it.

Make the changes and this is approved.
I assume you mean Sludge Bomb, not Shadow Ball xD
Swalot needs STAB to be able to actually dent opposing Pokemon, and imo, Ice Beam is inferior but gives greater coverage.
Changes made and Approval added, thanks.

I would add Sticky Hold as a slash beside Liquid Ooze, if not making it the main slash, on the RestTalk set, because I find that one of Swalot's greatest advantages over other RestTalkers is not being screwed by Trick. Plus, I've found that other Leech Seeders, such as Sceptile, want to stay away from Swalot and switch to something like Registeel. Basically, not getting screwed by Trick > hurting SubSeeders with Liquid Ooze...

EDIT: Also, maybe Shuca Berry+Counter together deserves a mention in OC? It would be a great way to score a surprise KO...
EDIT2: With Shuca, "Rapid Spin set" Donphan inflicts 68.6% max with Earthquake when Swalot has no defensive EV investment and a neutral nature, and 40.3% max with max defensive EV investment and Bold nature...I'm thinking Shuca might warrant a greater mention...

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On top of Sticky Hold, you may want to mention Black Sludge as an item on the other set; it cripples Trick users and it also restores Swalot's health.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It just gives Trick users another weapon to use against the rest of your team though...

I think Komodo means when you use Black Sludge alongside Sticky Hold, and Trick users become locked into Trick (barring Lopunny...). If so, Komodo, you might want to clarify that...

With Shuca, "Rapid Spin set" Donphan inflicts 68.6% max with Earthquake when Swalot has no defensive EV investment and a neutral nature, and 440.3% max with max defensive EV investment and Bold nature...I'm thinking Shuca might warrant a greater mention...
True, but why would you keep Swalot out or switch it in on Donphan anyway?
Other edits have been made, copyediting 1st draft coming soon.

I was mainly giving an example, because a number of Pokemon like to run Earthquake, including Venusaur now and then...although I've found more often than not that Donphan will want to try and kill Swalot, so this would be a good way of defeating it...and I wasn't suggesting switching Swalot into Donphan...anyway, I also realized I added in an extra 4 with the second calculation (accidentally typed in "440.3%" instead of "40.3%"...)

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
you forgot your <p> and </p> tags at the front and back of all the paragraphs. there is also supposed to be a space between 4 and HP for the first set (evs).

Counter needs a bigger mention: both times I've faced Swalot, it's OHKOed my 'mon with Counter ( by feigning a different set). And you'd keep Swalot in against Donphan to Counterkill it (or possibly use Ice BEam but meh.), able to survive 2 EQs is a mean feat.

Counter needs a bigger mention: both times I've faced Swalot, it's OHKOed my 'mon with Counter ( by feigning a different set). And you'd keep Swalot in against Donphan to Counterkill it (or possibly use Ice BEam but meh.), able to survive 2 EQs is a mean feat.
This is indeed a great feat for such a low tiered Pokemon, but I wish to keep Shucca Berry and Counter in the OC for one reason:
Swalot is supposed to be used as a defensive Pokemon.
Counter just isn't a main attraction on Swalot, as it has better moves that allow it to do damage more reliably. Counter should remain in the OC simply because it isn't reliable enough to be used viably, but I will mention it can KO Donphan in the OC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)