Team Paleozoic

Hey everybody. Thanks for clicking on this thread! A bit of personal history: I’ve played mostly Gen 4 OU in my poke-career up until about a month ago. I decided to finally make the switch to Gen 5 and learn a thing or two about the new metagame. This is my first RMT thread in a very long time!
Anyway, I guess I didn’t really mean to create a Dream World team when I started out; I just went with what seemed most popular and rolled with it. Most of these guys are pretty standard, but they have pretty good synergy and a couple twists thrown in to boot.
Please take a few minutes to see what you think!

~Team Paleozoic~

Crustle (La Meseta) @ Mental Herb

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Shell Smash

- X-Scissor

- Stone Edge​

This is my “lead” pokemon. I know that term is outdated now thanks to the whole “team preview” thing, but in all honesty he is the guy I send out first most of the time. He’s very flexible anyway.

As you might have noticed, this guy is a mash-up of the two sets posted in the analysis on Crustle by bugmanicbob. It is a bit strange, but it really is pretty effective. The idea is the opponent will underestimate Crustle and take it as a simple Stealth Rock lead. Mental Herb lets me set up a Shell Smash even if they go for a Taunt, and then probably won’t have time to Taunt me again (or will just attack me) and I’ll get a KO or even a chance to set up Stealth Rock thanks to Sturdy. It really throws a lot of people off.

A few key leads can shut me down, particularly if they attack me first before setting up rocks or taunting me on the first turn. On the other hand, if my strategy works it is almost guaranteed to take something down. After just one Shell Smash I outspeed pokemon like non-boosted Gengar and Starmie, and 2HKO Forry and Ferrothorn.

Moves:
Stealth Rock on a lead is super obvious. It helps support pokemon like Scrafty in a big way, because he can shuffle them around and weaken them up.
X-scissor and Stone Edge get really good coverage, hitting everything but annoying Fighting or Steel types. That’s what my teammates do! When pokemon like Excadrill or Conkledurr switch in to counter me, Slowbro comes on in.
Finally, Shell Smash is basically the “super saiyan” button. +2 Atk and Speed are awesome.

Fighting: Slowbro, Genesect, Volcarona
Steel: Genesect, Volcarona, Scrafty
Water: Scrafty, Slowbro
Rock: Donphan, Scrafty

Donphan (Mammut) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Rapid Spin

- Earthquake

- Endeavor

- Ice Shard​

I admit, I originally just had this guy here to provide Rapid Spin support, but I realized he can actually hold his own against some heavy duty hitters in the metagame, like Excadrill. He is the very last member of the team I added, but he really hasn’t let me down. I’m glad most people are running either Chandera or evolite Duskull to spin block, because my team can deal with those a lot easier than some of the nastier versions of Gengar.

Moves:
Rapid Spins is a must because I’m setting up for a Volcarona sweep. If Donphan fails, there’s still a chance I can sweep if I’m careful, but it is MUCH more difficult.
Ice Shard is another important move, so that I can KO pokemon Crustle failed to kill because they had a surprise Focus Sash. It’s also a decent option to revenge kill Salamence or Garchomp.
Earthquake is just earthquake, and Endeavor is mostly filler. If I manage to get him in at full health, I can use it to end a sweep early if I messed up and save the game for myself. Again, this is thanks to the improved mechanics of Sturdy.

Water: Slowbro, Scrafty
Ice: Slowbro, Genesect, Scrafty, Volcarona
Grass: Scrafty, Genesect, Volcarona

Genesect (Protoman) @ Life Orb

Trait: Download

EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SAtk / 252 Spd

Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)

- Bug Buzz

- Flamethrower/Thunderbolt

- Ice Beam

- U-turn​

This guy is meant to be my mixed attacker/wall breaker. It is very strong, and I’ve had people kinda yell at me for using such a “broken” pokemon. It is also slow though, so it relies a lot on Slowbro’s Thunder Wave to cripple everything possible. He also has really excellent type synergy with Slowbro and Donphan.

Moves:
Sorry for having the slash in there, I know it isn’t really fair. I usually run Flamethrower though to take care of Ferrothorn and Scizor early (Scarfty can do this too, but Leech Seed is really annoying!).
Bug Buzz is absolute destruction when Download gives me the boost. Well over 400 special attack puts a dent in just about everything.
If Download gives me an Attack boost, the U-turn is comparable to CB Scizor’s. Great for scouting and wearing down Blissey.

Fire: Slowbro, Scrafty

Scrafty (Dodongo) @ Leftovers

Trait: Shed Skin

EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SDef

Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Bulk Up

- Drain Punch

- Dragon Tail

- Rest​

Scrafty is so damn good. He makes a living as a half-special wall, sweeper, status absorber and phazer all in one. He has really nice type synergy with slowbro, taking Dark attacks in exchange for Fighting attacks. He is my final answer to stuff like Blissey and Chansey that make it hard to set up Volcarona. It also takes Rock attacks nicely.

Moves:
The EVs already make me quite specially bulky, and Bulk Up fixes his Physical defense. Drain Punch is a great STAB that helps me refill my HP without having to take a nap with Rest.
Dragon Tail is the move I decided to add after reading the analysis for this guy. Helps me to rack up SR damage and keep Gyrados, Conkeldurr, Gliscor and many others from setting up.

Flying: Uh…
Fighting: Slowbro

Slowbro (Thalassa) @ Leftovers

Trait: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Surf

- Psychic

- Thunder Wave

- Slack Off​

I just got done listening to the most recent Smogcast…. I believe one of the people referred to Regenerator Slowbro as “one of the biggest dicks in the game”. :P I agree, he can take pretty much any hit and keep on coming. I initially had him on just to counter fighting types that Crustle had trouble with (particularly Machamp and Conkeldurr) but he ended up becoming such a great partner I made him a permanent member.

Moves:
Surf/Psychic are standard STAB moves. Conkeldurr’s Payback does like 20%, and Psychic 2HKOs, and same for Machamp. Solid.
Thunder Wave is a HUGE benefit for the rest of my team, slowing down speedy threats for Scrafty, Volcarona, and Genesect.
Honestly, I’ve hardly had to use Slack Off because Regenerator is so good, but it is fun to stall an attacker to death because they have LO or a choice item.

Volcarona (Sol) @ Chesto Berry

Trait: Flame Body

EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 52 SAtk / 16 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Quiver Dance

- Bug Buzz

- Fire Blast

- Rest

Finally, chestorest Volcarona. A VERY deadly sweeper, because it can even set up on a lot of its normal counters (Blissey included if I get lucky).

Moves:
Again, Bug Buzz/Fire Blast for coverage. Quiver Dance to boost my strength to crazy levels… and Rest + Chesto Berry for one “free refill” on my HP.
So that’s my first team. I’m open to any suggestions or comments, I think I’ve covered a lot common threats. One thing this team has trouble with is REALLY strong Fire attacks. Like, strong enough to 2HKO Slowbro strong. For example… a Fire Blast from Heatran…
Anyway, thanks for your time, and here’s a threat list. :O

Breloom: Pretty tough opponent. I usualy have to let it put something to sleep and hit it with a Psychic from Slowbro.
Chandelure: Can trap and kill a bunch of members of my team, and Genesect even lures it. They all have counters though... for example Uturn or Donphan's Earthquake. If it's choiced, I can send it Scrafty/Volcarona and try an early sweep.
Excadrill - Slowbro or Donphan can counter it.
Gengar - A big threat for me, because Focus Blast/Shadow Ball kills my two walls. It has trouble switching in though...
Heatran - Another tough one. I usually have Slowbro or Scrafty try to force it out. I actually swept one one with a +6 Bug Buzz from Volcarona. :O
Keldeo - Slowbro has Psychic, but if it has HP Electric I'm toast...
Zapdos/Jolteon/other boltbeamers - lol Scrafty? It's not too good, but they are hard to counter...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)