Standard OU Team

I was going to make something fancy, but I got lazy.

I recently got into Gen 5 and I have to say, I am enjoying it more than I enjoyed Gen 4. Some of the Pokemon have really grown on me and I enjoy using so much. This team managed to peak rank 44 on the Smogon PO server, which for me is an accomplishment since my skills are rather lack luster as well as my team building skills. Anyways, the team.

Team Building process:
There honestly wasn't really one. I started off my faves and tweaked it from there lol.

Team:

Pendulum (Scolipede) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Toxic Spikes
To a lot of players, Scolipede seems like a pretty bad Pokemon at first glace, but in reality, it's a great Pokemon. It sports 112 base speed, outspeeding threats like Latios and KOing with Megahorn. It also outspeeds the Genie Pokemon, allowing me to hit two with Rock Slide and set up a layer of Toxic Spikes on the third. I originally had Spikes over Rock Slide, but I rarely used them and found the extra damage/ko served me better. Toxic Spikes seems to help my team more than Spikes as well.

Drunktar (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
I originally had a ScarfTar here, but soon realised it wasn't very good in my team. CBTar is one of those "where have you been all my life?" things. It hits like a truck and has nice decent bulk. Fire Punch's only use is taking town Ferrothorn, which gets in the way too much for Whimsicott. Occasionally, I'll hit a Scizor who tries to set up a SD or a Virizon who tries to CM.

Dance Dance (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
Ah Excadrill, for a Pokemon that is a pretty high threat, a lot of times you just Rapid Spin and die. Excadrill has had its fair share of sweeps, but I honestly think my Scolipede sweeps more than him. He stays in my team because he is great for cleaning up late game and his fast Rapid Spin is invaluable for my Volcarona. Shame it doesn't get Stone Edge.

Fira (Volcarona) (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Rest
Volcarona is probably the MVP of this team. Decent speed, fantastic special attack and a usable bulk make the ChestoRest set work. Sadly, the combination of Bug/Fire gets resisted pretty easily, however a lot of times, it doesn't matter has he can still hit hard enough to KO Pokemon that resist it with a +1 or 2 if possible. Usually I am able to set up on Pokemon like Jellicent and occasionally non-Roaring Heatran. I'm looking for a better spread on him, so suggestions are really appreciated.

Gar (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split
Gengar Gengar Gengar. You're still a beast in gen 5. I've only used a SubPS Gar a couple times, but every time I loved it. Originally I had a Chansey here that was just dead weight and a friend suggested this Gengar. It works great with this team. Levitate really helps out since all my other Pokemon take neutral or SE from ground bar Whimsicot. Substitute helps me so much with easing prediction since my prediction skills are just about non-existent. Pain Split helps me deal with things like Chansey mostly, I rarely actually use it for recovery.

Zeala 2.0 (Whimsicott) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 12 HP / 248 Def / 248 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Cotton Guard
- Giga Drain
I don't see Whimsicott as often as I originally thought I would. Lower in the ladder, this whimsical sheep would sweep whole teams. Higher up she helps with stopping things like Conkeldurr and most physical Pokemon that don't carry a super effective move. Here is where Toxic Spikes really helps out. Without it, there are some Pokemon she cannot outstall due to moves like Recover. Whimsicott is walled by grass types, but usually Scolipede and Tar (for Pokemon like Ferrothorn) take care of them first.

I've been having problems with water types, Azumarill in particular. Suggestions on how to deal with Waters will be greatly appreciated as well as comments in general.

Just a small thing, but Balloon Heatran can single handedly beat your whole team if it gets behind a sub before Gengar comes in. I know it's not that common, but I'd suggest putting a water type on your team somewhere, possibly Jellicent, Suicune, or Vaporeon for water absorb

For Volcarona and a rest set, that's the best coverage you can really hope to get, with 2 good STAB moves. All I can say is that I'd recommend Fiery Dance over Fire Blast, since it can help buff SpAtk.

For Volcarona and a rest set, that's the best coverage you can really hope to get, with 2 good STAB moves. All I can say is that I'd recommend Fiery Dance over Fire Blast, since it can help buff SpAtk.
you could replace rest with hp ground to take on heatran, and chesto berry to life orb. Just my thought.

Just a small thing, but Balloon Heatran can single handedly beat your whole team if it gets behind a sub before Gengar comes in. I know it's not that common, but I'd suggest putting a water type on your team somewhere, possibly Jellicent, Suicune, or Vaporeon for water absorb
No it doesn't, your balloon pops even behind a sub, so pop his balloon and then scarftar revenges with eq. I would even place my money on TTar beating it with the balloon using stone edge since earth power won't be doing that much since it is unstabed, and TTar has mamoth SDef in the sand even w/o any investment.

Also, I really like this team, especially the Scolipede set, I've been running something similar (spikes>Tspikes just personal preference, and I think it benefits my team more) and I would have to agree that it is very useful.

Balloon Tran has never been a problem for me.

I considered Fiery Dance, but I really like the immediate power of Fire Blast. I'm mostly looking for a new EV spread on Volcarona atm since I feel iffy about the current spread.

you could replace rest with hp ground to take on heatran, and chesto berry to life orb. Just my thought.
If I do that, Volcarona will faint way too quickly in the SS, and if I don't manage to spin away Rocks/Spikes, he won't be doing much at all.

No it doesn't, your balloon pops even behind a sub, so pop his balloon and then scarftar revenges with eq. I would even place my money on TTar beating it with the balloon using stone edge since earth power won't be doing that much since it is unstabed, and TTar has mamoth SDef in the sand even w/o any investment.

Also, I really like this team, especially the Scolipede set, I've been running something similar (spikes>Tspikes just personal preference, and I think it benefits my team more) and I would have to agree that it is very useful.
Yeah pretty much that, only I have a CBTar.

Scolipede is really great, shame it is so under appreciated. Ah well, the less it is seen, the more effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)