Fat Pombo's disruption-stall

First of all, i want to say that this team isn't finished, as many EVs must be fixed/improved. In other words, any constructive criticism is appreciated.
When first playing BW, I used HO/Rain teams, and, although I had some sucess with it, semi-stall teams kept beating me. Things like Heatran, Gengar and DNite were able to shut many of my offensive threats, meaning i had to switch, take more residual damage, give them more opportunities to set up, etc...
What i think semi-stall is? Teams that block other teams not by "taking hits like champs", but through disruption, abusing movesets that have a single move that can hit my mons. Examples will be given later. My definiton could be wrong, but screw names: concepts are more important.

Team preview:

Team building process:

The team core: Those threats basically define disruption. SubDisable Gengar and (good old) Tormentran. They have a nice synergy and a LOT of resistances. In addition, they are strong, meaning they wont be sitting ducks as your opponent set up.

Now i needed to force my opponent out, while also allowing me to switch. And Mienshao does this job wonderfully. In addition, it could take Gliscor out with HP-Ice (I just had to be sure to U-Turn as they protected, as that would ensure they were going to stay in and take the HP-Ice)

The same could be said from Sazandora. Even though later it proved to be pretty innefective, in a first glance it looked to be usefull: Expert Belt (couldnt afford to use Life Orb, as resisted hits + entry hazards + SS's toll was too high to pay) boosted hits, along with nice coverage and U-Turn made him a good option in a first moment

I needed something to take Zapdos, Latios and Starmie, while being able to set up rocks and curing paralysis, which would be a pain for every single member in the team so far: Blissey it is.

Even though i had blissey, nothing on my team could safely switch in and threaten TTar, Pringles, Excadrill, among others. Conkeldurr takes advantage of its natural physical bulk, BU, and Drain Punch to survive through games, being able to even sweep under certain conditions.

Hydreigon proved to be ineffective with this team. The whole team wasnt working, and Hydreigon wasnt helping me at all. Then i saw someone using a Bulky Twave/DragonTail DNite, abusing paralysis + multi scale. If my intent was to force switch and block stuff, Dnite was gonna be much better for my team. His paralysis also helped as it gave Heatran and Gengar more chances to set up. Those 3 pokemon forced FP to happen, by Sub abusing.

The paralysis abuse strategy was awesome. It even made non-ghost threats more suscetible to Conkel. However, I lacked entry hazards. Gengar, Heatran and DNite forced a lot of switches, but opponents could switch in (almost) unscathed. A simple, non standart Deoxys-S and a Ferrothorn, who could also spread paralysis solved my troubles.

In depth analysis:
(bolded stuff can be changed. Suggestions are welcome)
(
changed stuff is underlined)

( thanks for U Mad? and zahariel for the gif)
Gray Fox (Deoxys-S) @Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

My usual lead. I dont like to let him die early game, as he can be used to check and beat Dragons (some with only previous damage), Genies, Gliscor, Starmie, Zapdos, and a lot of other stuff who would otherwise give me huge troubles.

Moves: Stealth Rock and Taunt are essential, preventing abusive set up and letting me set up my own rocks. Ice Beam and TBolt gives it a nice coverage against fast (but not hyper fast like Excadrill) threats, like the aforementioned Genias, Dragons, etc... The best part of Tbolt is that it is unexpected in most times, allowing me to KO Gyarados, unaware Jellicent, and others. Against Gliscors, however, my first move MUST be taunt/SR, as most protect to scout for Ice Beam. Switched Taunt for Magic Coat, and then Magic Coat with Spikes. Eveyone attacked Deoxys-S, expecting a Taunt.

Item: I tried Red Card, but it really wasnt THAT helpful, so i switched it for Sash

EVs/Nature: I know full HP EVs can be paradoxal with focus sash, but thats the point: They work in parallel situations. The HP allows him to survive a LOT of hits, and thheh Sash allows him to ensure SR and take any hit under a specific situation. I dont know if speed EVs would be usefull, as Deoxys is naturally freaking fast. The Stak EVs allow me to OHKO most Starmies and deal more than 50% to many bulky waters, if needed. 317 Stak isnt something to laugh at.

Quarterback (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Roost

Its impressive how bulky this thing is when at full health. Not much can take break his sub in one hit (well, it already took things like Latias DPulse, for example), specially if you Roost after subbing. His shuffling and paralysis support are ESSENTIAL for the team, proving nice amounts of damage and support. The unexpected MVP.

Moves: Subroost, even without Pressure, is a nice way to stall and wait for
a opportunity (Full paralysis in most time) to appear. Add multi scale, and your set up is basically guaranteed. Dragon Tail can deal some nice damage, specially if you add (at least) 12,5% damage + shuffle.

EVs/Nature: No brain here: Max HP, and 274/277 Defenses. Speed isnt needed at all, as barely nothing has the 800 speed needed to outspeed him after paralysis. Attack EVs also arent needed, as 304 attack is more than enough for something that focus on residual damage. Careful because 100 > 95. Any better display is welcome, though.

Spider (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

He is the number 1 in the ladder for a reason, I guess. Awesome typing, stats, trait, moves....
In this team, however, his best niches are: TWave and Spikes spreading and Gyro Ball against fast, Outrage locked, dragons. Also, his Power Whip is my best option against Motisma-eau.

Moves: Thunder Wave and Spikes are here for support. Power Whip is needed so i'm not unarmed against water pokes (even though I'm going to set up on them on most times) and Gyro Ball destroys Gengars and other stuff. Switched Gyro Ball for Leech Seed. But Ferro didnt have enough time to set up Seed, TWave AND Spikes, so i dropped it for Protect. This should be useful for scouting CB Scizor and such.

EVs/Nature: Pretty random, I stole them from a set I've seen somewhere, not really sure where. Suggestions are welcome.

BrickSlayer (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Able to take Jellicent, weakened Excadrill (If i see one of them in the team preview i try to save Ferrothorn as much as possible, as Power Whip + Mach Punch is a KO on most variants), Nattorei and TTar with ease, this guy is the glue of the team. He usually cleans up the field after everything is paralyzed.

Moves/Evs/Nature: Standart BU Conkeldurr, ripped from the analysis. Payback acts as my coverage and Pringles eater move, Drain Punch as my main weapon to both survive and deal damage and Mach Punch acts as a finisher or glass breaker.

Gamageroge (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 36 SAtk / 12 SDef / 216 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Torment
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Good ol' Tormentran. God, its incredible the amount of stuff this guy stops.
I know it cant beat bulky waters who can recover theirselves, but allowing a free switch in after a protected surf is something that often gives me the match. He is, also, my best answer to sun teams, blocking Ninetales, most Volcaronas, and a lot of other things.

Moves: Sub-Torment-Protect are the moves that define tormentran. The last move, Lava Plume, is here for the PPs and the burning side effect, that have 2 side effects:
1- Render a lot of physical sweepers useless.
2- Allow me to beat almost any bulky mon that dont have a recovery move (Heatran and Rotom-W being the biggest exception that com to my mind)
Also, a 80 BP Stab move coming from something with 305 Stak isnt anything to laugh at.

EVs/Nature: Ripped from 4 Gen analysis, the special bulk it achieves is impressive. Worked wonders so far, but im open for suggestions.

Nightmare (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

OH DAMN, SUB BRELOOM IS GONNA BEAT ME! -not
OH DAMN, ROOBUSHIN IS GONNA SWEEP ME! -not (i will explain that single case later)
OH DAMN, REUNICLUS -not (i need a crit to beat this one, but the odds of having no CH in 24 hits are... ridiculous.)
OH DAMN -not
This set shuts down anything slower (110 base speed helps a lot with this) that have a single move that can hit Gengar. Think about it: they come in, Sponging the shadow ball. You sub, and they break it. You Disable. Now, unless they want to take Base 130 Stab SBs or Focus Blasts, they HAVE to switch out.
In that list, enter:
1-SubSD Chomp
2-Most Gliscors
3-Spore Breloom (Tricky, as some use Stone Edge)
4-(*)Conkeldur
5-CB Scizor (if i have a sub when they switch in)
6-Paralyzed Scarfers
7-CB/CSpecs everything else
8-Machamp (they can still BP me, but SBall delas more)
9-Ferrothorn
10-Toxicroak
And many, many other threats.

Moves: Sub/Disable are essential for the set to work. The former for scouting/forcing the opponent to use their coverage move and the latter to... disable it. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast provides unresisted coverage while allowing me to deal a good chunk to most threats.

EVs/Nature: Nothing special here. 252/252 for maximum speed and power. I can't decide about nature, however. While Timid allow me to outrun a lot of things (ape, musketeers, among others), Modest ensured a 2HKO on Conkeldurrs, something that can ensure me a victory.

(*) Gengar vs. Conkeldurr: I usually try to avoid that battle until Conkel is at the 80% (2 spikes + SR can solve that problem). I usually sub on the first turn, and they break my sub with a payback.
The next turn is critical: If the opponent KNOWS im using a Disable set, they will probably mach punch, preventing payback from being disabled. So, if through the match i discover that my opponent is smart, or if i INTENTIONALLY reveal them disable, i just SBall for a 2HKO. That 2HKO isnt guaranteed if the Conkel is at full HP and there is no SS in the field, though.

Threat List:
Offensive complete, defensive still pending.

Offensive Threats

Aerodactyl/Archeops - Never fought them. Mach Punch, Power Whip, Tbolt... idk
Azelf - Heatran stops it cold.
Bisharp - Conkel
Breloom - Depending on their team, i send something to take the spore. Then gengar rapes it.
Chandelure - Heatran
Cobalion - DNite, Gengar
Conkeldurr - Gengar, DNite
Darmanitan - Heatran, DNite
Deoxys-S - Conkel, Gengar (most dont have Psychic)
Dragonite - Deoxys, my own DNite... can be tricky
Druddigon - LOL
Eelektross - LOLOL (not true, but Ferro/Dnite stops most cold)
Electivire - LOLOLOL (Roob)
Emboar - LOLOLOLOLOL
Empoleon - Deoxys-S, Ferro or Conkel
Espeon - I cant do anything besides setting up along with him. Offensive versions are stopped by DNite
Escavalier - Heatran
Excadrill - Power Whip + Mach Punch, most time. DNite can take a hit (any, provided there is no SD. DNite doesnt even need Multi Scale for that)
and DTail it away, meaning it will take more residual damage + take a hit on the switch in. Then I can finish it with Roob)
Garchomp - Deoxys-S stop non sub variants, and gengar, the sub ones
Gengar - Troublesome. Heatrans, however, can take a non LO FB and Sub, or a LO FB and Lava Plume. I protect on the first turn to scout for leftives)
Golurk - Gengar, Roob
Gyarados - Deoxys-S. whenever i see one of these, i try to save deoxys for as long as possible
Haxorus - Heatran (protect for scout), Natto (Gyro ball was really usefull for that...). DD Variants can be troublesome if i dont have Sash intact, though
Heatran - DNite
Heracross - DNite
Hydreigon - Heatran
Infernape - Deoxys, Gengar
Jirachi - Heatran, Natto
Jolteon - Heatran, Natto
Kingdra - Ferro
Krookodile - Ferro
Kyurem - Heatran, Gengar, Roob.... i have to play around
Landorus - Against scarf, play around. Against SD, Deoxys
Latios - Deoxys, and Gengar in a emergency. I can lure it into Draco Meteor, though
Lilligant - Heatran/Natto, depending on the HP
Lucario - Gengar, Dnite
Machamp - Gengar. I can outdamage him.
Magnezone - Heatran, Roob. I have to play safe with Natto, though.
Mamoswine - CB can be stopped by Gengar/Tran/Natto
Metagross - Natto
Mienshao - DNite.
Reuniclus - Gengar
Roserade - Heatran
Salamence - Deoxys-S. In an emergency, Ferro has a chance to survive LO 0 Stak Fire Blast and TWave it.
Sawsbuck - Gengar, Dnite
Scizor - DNite, Natto, Heatran... gotta play around it
Scrafty- Conkel
Seismitoad - LOL
Serperior - LOLOL
Shaymin - LOLOLOL
Sigilyph - BOOOOOOORING. I have to send gengar/heatran, disrupt it, and hope for a crit.
Smeargle - Why the hell is it in offensive threats? Against support sets, i just DTail it away, or cripple the switch in with TW.
Starmie - Natto/Deoxys-S usually do a good job
Terakion - Natto can take unboosted CC and KO back (provided spikes support) with power Whip, or just paralyze it. Else, i have to mach punch it. Else, its gg.
Thundurus - Deoxys-S/Natto can take a unboosted hit and TWave
Togekiss - Bitch. Gotta TWave it and dont let it paralyze half my team
Tornadus - Natto can take a Hurricane and TWave it. Else, heatran does a good job
Tyranitar - Conkeldoom
Venusaur - DNite stops it cold.
Victini - Heatran. depending on their team, i let something take the Final Gambit.
Virizion - DNite
Volcarona - Heatran/DNite
Weavile - Never saw one, but Mach Punch would send it into oblivion
Zoroark - Its too frail to be a threat.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- [FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Pain Split

Try the gengar with pain split and disable. It will take a really long time to die, gives blissey hell, (I think you can outstall it). Life orb gives you more power and pain split will get back the health you lose from life orb.
[/FONT]

I've used the team and found Dragonite to be near useless. I don't see why you want Thunder Wave so much, it only makes your Gryo Balls weaker. If you keep T-wave, then give Ferrothorn Leech Seed instead of Gryo.

Also, the team struggles a lot of with Chansey/Blissey because of it's lack of physical attackers. I would run a physical Dragonite set, possibly a Dragon Dance set.

I'll make these changes to the team and test some more.

Dragonite near useless? Our playstyles must be REALLY different, because, in my experience, he is the most useful member in the team, tanking a lot of hits and paralyzing stuff.

Im going to try the subsplit+disable gengar, the LO boost should be really usefull.

Ive been thinking about removing gyro ball (and all those negative IVs/Nature) so i could outspeed paralyzed stuff. I would replace it with Protect or Leech Seed (to force switches and heal against stuff like skarmory). What do you think about it?

About the blissey problem, im aware of it, and thats why, when facing a stall team, i try to save Roob as much as possible.

Thanks for the feedback x)

I've replaced Thunder Wave with Brick Break on Dragonite, and with Leech Seed on Ferrothorn. I'm trying it out for now.

On the lead deoxys I run

@Red Card(one time use; it makes the opponents pokemon switch out if they attack you and you survive)
Timid; 252 Hp/ 252 Spe./ 4 Sp. Atk.
Magic Coat
Taunt/ Thunderbolt
SR/ Spikes( its your SR user, so you want SR obviously)
Ice Beam
-This works as a dd/ sd dragon check obviously while at the same time beating nearly every lead in the game in a certain way including fs deoxys leads. The penalty card item+ magic coat is like a lose/ lose situation first turn for the opponent. Basically you are always going to first turn Magic Coat if the opponent might even possibly have a status move/ entry hazard move. If they predict taunt and attack, then their SR user is sent away and you get a free scout on the opponents team. If they lay their hazards they are reflected back at them. If they attacked and were forced out, unless the user has priority, you get a free uncontested SR and the opponent doesn't. Ice beam is the only attacking move in case it manages to live past the first few turns of the game and I need a check to scarf/ sd garchomp, dd salamence/ nite without extremespeed (a bad use of dragonite but it can happen), or SD gliscors. Thunderbolt can be used in place of taunt for a check to things like dd gyarados, but that is totally personal preference and you lose a little bit of control in the early game. Perhaps you should give this deoxys set a shot.

note: their is a more specific ev spread you can use to outrun max speed garchomp with a scarf by one point dumping the rest into sp atk or a defense, but I cannot remember the exact number off the top of my head. Since you have magic coat, and it has priority, you dont need to worry about max speed deoxys leads taunting you so you can dump any excess ev's into a stat that will actually help.

@Frank: What results did you get? The paralysis often saves me from a LOT of things, as i force Full paralysis to appear by stalling them. Leech Seed is a nice option, though... imma try it. Whats your nick (PO's) btw?

@Burton: Thats a really, really interesting idea. Im going to try it. About the EV's, thats what i though, and the STak EVs really help me sometimes (think about it: im as strong as a starmie). Focus Sash isnt hehlping me as much as i though it would, because SR, SS, Hail, Spikes, and others exist. I just wish Deoxys-S learned Hail... I could drop Magic Coat for that, and counter sun/rain/ss teams...

btw, its 240 speed ev's with a + speed nature to always outrun a +1 spe. jolly garchomp. I run 252 Hp(so it can actually survive a hit to use the red card)/ 16 Sp. Atk./ 244 Spe.

A different variant of this lead can be used with hidden power fire for forretress and ferrothorns that like to come in on deoxys expecting a free spin/ spikes set up. Hp fire lowers your speed iv by 1 so you will need to run 244 speed to outrun the scarfed garchomps but I would invest much more into special attack if I was to do this. It just depends on what pokemon you want to deal with. Taunt for early game control, thunderbolt for gyarados and offensive starmie checks among other things, or hp fire for forretress and ferrothorn or the occasional scizor switch in.

Also, your team seems pretty sub disable gengar weak itself tbh. you depend on a speed tie to beat it, and if its behind a sub it sweeps your team fairly reliably. I used sub disable gengar on my uturn team and its just fascinating how easy it is to get set up and wreck a team without even one stat boost. Without having to change a single pokemon or set I want to suggest you make your conkeldurr slightly more specially defensive so it can comfortably (lol) take 2 shadow balls with sr damage. When facing said gengar you will switch to conkeldurr and payback the sub he sets up on the switch. Most opponents will simply disable, and this should insult your intelligence because you have a priority move. If you mach punch the turn he diables then mach punch becomes disabled and you can then spam payback to your hearts content. This will only ever work once against the same opponent, but its just something to be aware of if you aren't already. If you would like to more throughly address the issue, then a change in pokemon will be required but I rarely see that gengar variant used.

Yes, i am aware of the mach punch disabling trick, and i use it a lot. and thats why, when facing a Conkel, i always sub twice, then proceed to disable.

About the subsplit gengar, i usually use it as a set up fodder for nattorei. I KNOW I CANT DO SHIT TO IT BUT... no one likes to see a nattorei setting up on your face, especially if they dont know if i cant do shit to gengar afterwards. They usually try to counter my Natto, and i try to lure the gengar for a more... appropriate situation (in an emergency case, i can just do the Mach Punch trick with Protect. No one expects it)

Hey dude,
Just wanted to say how great I think this team is. I was the guy who fought you on PO recently, and I had to drop by and see it for myself. Really solid, especially that Dragonite. It walked all over me, pretty much. :P

You seemed surprised (well, I must admit it suprised me too) when your Latias' Dragon Pulse didn't break my sub haha

I know, nuts. I actually uses a similar Gengar to yours, but I changed it up a little because I got sick of Focus Blast missing:
Gengar (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 100 Atk / 156 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Shadow Ball
- Disable
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
OHKO's T-tar and like 70% to most Blissey...

Yes, i am aware of the mach punch disabling trick, and i use it a lot. and thats why, when facing a Conkel, i always sub twice, then proceed to disable.

About the subsplit gengar, i usually use it as a set up fodder for nattorei. I KNOW I CANT DO SHIT TO IT BUT... no one likes to see a nattorei setting up on your face, especially if they dont know if i cant do shit to gengar afterwards. They usually try to counter my Natto, and i try to lure the gengar for a more... appropriate situation (in an emergency case, i can just do the Mach Punch trick with Protect. No one expects it)
thats all well and good, but if the gengar gets it in its head its not going to leave until its made to leave then you pretty much lost right there...

You can get a Deoxys-S sprite from the RMT in my sig, I hate to admit it but your team was the basic inspiration for the one I built.

Okay, so I put Thunderwave back onto Dragonite and Ferrothorn (replacing Gyro Ball with Leech Seed) and it seems more consistent. I still use the Focus Blast Gengar set because otherwise Ferrothorn and Normal-types were just walling him.

Gengar really is the MVP for me, though Focus Blast doesn't have nearly as much PP as I would want it to and Hidden Power Fighting doesn't pack enough punch. I'll try out Pain Split for a bit.

The lead still bothers me a bit. I feel Deoxys really should be able to abuse the Red Card item, but Speed form is just too frail, and Defense is not powerful enough to my liking... However, Spikes as pretty essential to the team and I replaced Taunt with said move.

I will test some more and let you know what I find! :)

Love the team.

My only fix

Spider (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Toxic/Stealth Rocks

Pretty annoying set, and it can stall the shit out of alot of things.

Btw, here you go:)

Frank, i agree completely about the TWave cases. Paralysis support is just too good for the team. But no, DNite is the MVP, not gengar. Gengar comes next. The new punch obtained by the use of Life Orb is really useful, and pain split really covers Lefties/10% Damage.

Leech Seed, however, haven't been useful. Ferro already have Spikes (3 turns) and TWave (1 turn) to set up, so he will have something to set up almost everytime he switches in. Protect could be usefull, though. Im going to try it.

Also, Red Card havent been as effective as planned. Most times i wish i had a sash. Switching back to focus sash. Im going to try running Spikes on both Ferro and Deoxys-S (droping magic coat for it), as EVERYONE expects Deoxys-S to have Taunt/Magic Coat and attack it everytime.

Thank you guys for the animated sprite (:

I've really been liking the redundant Spikes on Deoxys, it usually allows me to have my three layers set up. Also, most Rapid Spinners can't do ANYTHING to Gengar with Disable support, so losing the setup turns isn't much of an issue.

Possible mention on Brave for conkeldurr ensuring you'll most often be going last to get the powerup for payback? (This is of course if you're using 0 iv's for speed to get the absolute minimum)

@Frank: In theory it works fine, but Spikes are helping me a lot. Our playstiles must be really different lol

@DeathxShinigami: No... I love to outspeed paralyzed things... its really worth it. Also, beating weakened reuniclus in late game is a wonderfull thing to do.

Just in case you ever wanna play this with Item Clause on, I'd say put Black Sludge on Gengar instead of Leftovers. Same effect, only it screws over smart-ass Tricking Rotoms.

No. Black Sludge isnt a good idea, IMO, as they can trick it back to me and cripple 2 of my pokemons...

Swiftnite is awesome. However, i'd run max special defence in order to take random hidden power ices that happen to be flying round the metagame atm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)