Rate my team: I don't have a name..?

I WANTED to go to the New Jersey VGC's this year, but whether I do or not is in the air, since it is a pretty long drive.
But yeah.. on to the RMT!

I wanted to make a Tailwind team since I saw that they were fairly dominant team styles. So here ya go.

(M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Well, this guy is pretty much a staple in VGC for tailwind besides Whimsicott. What made me choose this guy over the Dandelion Puffball was that this guy has much better offensive prowess and solid defensive qualities to go along side it. It's pretty much your standard set; I run the usually Acrobatics with flight gem for it's extreme power. Substitute is so that should I meet a scarf Chandelure, I can stall out Overheat's power when it's SpAtk get's dropped. Tailwind is obvious and Taunt shuts down Trickroom.

(M) @ Haban Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
- Dual Chop
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Haxorus. Wow. What a powerhouse. Haxorus boasts the HIGHEST attack in all of VGC 2011. What's the catch? He speed is just a little bit lack luster, lingering around Hydreigon's speed stat. Well, Tailwind fixes this little issue perfectly. You might first ask, "Why dual chop?" Well, I chose Dual Chop because it has the same base power as Dragon Claw (Since it hit's twice) and with Hax"R"us' (haha) massive attack stat, can break a sub, and then proceed to do even more damage after the broken sub. Brick Break is there for Terrakion, Scrafty, Bisharp, and the occasional Stoutland. Rock Slide is a great spread move that hit's the genies really hard. Protect is well, for predictions.

(M) @ Big Root
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Scrafty. Well, Fake Out for one. He is one of 3 Pokemon who get it in this metagame. And, he is the only one with Moxie. The EV's are to max is HP and Atk considering he won't be needing speed anyway, considering Tailwind will double that pitiful speed. Big root is there to boost his Drain Punch, which destroys those pesky Terrakion you see running rampant. Ice Punch for the Genie's (most specifically Landorus) and Crunch is for coverage and STAB.

@ Rock Gem
Trait: Justified
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Earthquake

Terrakion is part of this team's meat. He is fast (blinding in Tailwind) and hits very hard. I wasn't sure what to do with the item, so I gave it Rock Gem in order to boost it's Rock Slide. Speaking of Rock Slide, it decimates the Genies. Pretty badly. Close Combat is there for STAB, coverage, and most importantly, annoying little Scrafty. Protect is obvious, and Earthquake should be used in conjunction with Thundurus or Tornadus.

(M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Intimidate
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Standard Krookodile set really. Crunch is for STAB, and it hit's Musharna hard. Earthquake is great when used with Thundurus or Tornadus. Rock Slide is great for hitting those pesky Genies (I've said that quite a lot, haven't I?) and Protect for obvious reasons. I gave it Intimidate for team support over Moxie, and I picked Focus Sash so I can live a hit from Terrakion and hit it back with a STAB, super effective Earthquake.

(M) @ Electric Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave

Last guy. My Thundurus. I broke my back trying to RNG this thing. Not gonna lie. So basically, standard set really. (I've said that a lot too, huh?)
Thunderbolt + Electric Gem hits really hard, and HP Ice rounds off my coverage. Substitute is for the same reason as Tornadus, so I can stall out Overheat's power and stall out Trick Room should it actually go up. Thunder Wave counter's the opponent's Tailwind pretty well, I like it more than Taunt.

Great Combos:

Tornadus + Haxorus

Tornadus + Scrafty

Haxorus + Scrafty (Should leading with a Genie be unsafe. Haxorus has decent speed anyway.)

Thundurus + Krookodile

Thundurus + Scrafty

Scrafty + Terrakion

Terrakion + Thundurus

Terrakion + Tornadus

Tornadus + Thundurus

Well, there you have it. My VGC team.
I will say this: Thundurus, Tornadus, and Haxorus STAY. Period.

I'm open to any other suggestions though. Including moveset adjustments for the above three, but I will NOT get rid of them.

Please don't hate.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
First of all, I would like to say you have a very nice team. Two Genies is a huge threat in the VGC; I know a Pokemon team with both Tornadus and Thundurus that made it to the Finals in Seattle this year.

Scrafty should have Leftovers instead of Big Root. Leftovers has more HP recovery than Big Root if you're wondering.

Your idea with Dual Chop for Haxorus is creative, but Dual Chop only has 90% accuracy, so if you don't find it reliable switch back to Dragon Claw.

I have a suggestion for Tornadus and Thundurus. First of all, their movesets are GREAT, but I'm just giving you a suggestion. You could try to make Thundurus or Tornadus learn Rain Dance to stop Chandelure while having the ability to use Thunder or Hurricane with 100% accuracy. By the way, Thunder + Electric Gem= Instant OHKO. This is just a suggestion, I'm not saying it's a better idea.

Possible Weaknesses:

1. TR teams with Mental Herb.
2. Terracott combo. (Can OHKO your Tornadus and Thundurus.)

Good tips:
1. Use Team Preview to your advantage.
2. There are not that many TR teams in the VGC. (Trust me, I was in the Dallas VGC 2011.)

Overall, one of the best teams I've seen for the VGC in Smogon so far. Hopefully, you'll win it all and go to Nats! Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)