the long overdue digimon thread

RODAN

Banned deucer.
yes so use this thread to discuss all things digimon

currently I have been watching digimon frontier and i totally have to say.... its preeeeeeetty bad

in terms of seasons i tend to go 3>1>5>4>2

if anyones seen xros wars please fill me in

also diaboromon for life

I watched season 1 and 2 (english version/dubbed) and stopped there. The rest of the series became ridiculous imo.
Also, I loved the english Digimon Movie when it came out. It had kickass music, decent plot and the animation style got a huge step up from the actual series. also omnimon was the best digimon ever

EDIT: Also, almost everyone I knew bought a digimon tamagotchi thing when we were kids. I still have mine, it's the yellow version and i remember frequently having to clean the shit the digimon makes every day otherwise it turns into that freaking nunemon that everyone hates. doublealso, digimon world for ps1 was freaking awesome of a rpg game albeit it's ridiculous difficulty for a kid's game imo

I've only watched digimon tamers and that was up to about episode 26 or so?
It was pretty good I should finish it at some point

I also watched digimon all the time as a kid but the memories are kind of fuzzy

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
"Pro-digious"

Confession time. I love the Digimion anime and when I re-watched it I've noticed that its held up decently over the years. I'm currently watching season 1 (english dub, although i've heard that the sub has less censorship) and its been a solid show so far. The animation and fights are crap but the interaction between the digi-destined kids is awesome. I'm a sucker for adventure & growth stories and Digimon delivers in that category. My favorite characters are Tai because he's the team leader (and actually goes through a fair bit of character development) and Izzy (because without Izzy the kids would be fucked... big time)

The Digimon anime is much,much,much better than the Pokemon anime. They're practically incomparable because the themes, characters and plot in Digimon are much better than Pokemon.

Edit: I somewhat agree with your order Rodan.
Mines: 1=3 > 5 > 2 > 4

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All I remember is the main character and his rival storyline with the dinosaur vs the wolf thing. WarGreyMon vs Meta-something gogogo!

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i saw digimon occasionally when i was like 6 or so and it was cool

it was hardly ever on the television though

i also recall some random slightly digimon-esque anime with two kids (a boy and a girl) getting shot into some random world with all kinds of monsters riding some vehicle (i think it was a giant mecha) and then they fought some team rocket-esque team that took over monsters with a cockpit-brainwashing-something that attached to the things.

now that i think about it, it probably was intended to be a pokemon/digimon ripoff.

I love Digimon. Back in the day, my two staple shows were Digimon and Pokemon, and I always felt that Digimon was darker and cooler. After season three, Digimon became hard to find on TV so I had to stop watching--Frontier was on at like 5:30 in the morning on weekdays.

I'd have to rank the seasons I've seen as:
3>1>2

Three has the D-Reaper, which is the coolest villain ever. Season One (and I think a later season as well) had Myotismon, who was badass. The Dark Masters, especially Machinedramon, were also cool. I wish these seasons would come out on a legitimate DVD box set.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The coolest thing I can think of to this day was when WareGarurumon battled myostismon on a skyscraper and he ran up it.

That was a bad ass fight scene. The best Digimon though? HM!

GIGA CANNON

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Digimon wasn't a huge thing for me when I was kid, I was always more into Pokemon. I still liked it though, and I would watch it when it was on (I never specifically turned on the TV to watch Digimon) and I have a few games and trading cards.

I think I only saw the first two seasons, which were pretty good. The movie was awesome too. I liked Kabuterimon, Patamon, and Gabumon the best.

Oh and I also though the scenes where they Digivolved were cool.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Digimon was awesome when I was a kid.
But then it just got weird when people turned into Digimon.

Clearly, this is my favorite Digimon.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
i saw digimon occasionally when i was like 6 or so and it was cool

it was hardly ever on the television though

i also recall some random slightly digimon-esque anime with two kids (a boy and a girl) getting shot into some random world with all kinds of monsters riding some vehicle (i think it was a giant mecha) and then they fought some team rocket-esque team that took over monsters with a cockpit-brainwashing-something that attached to the things.

now that i think about it, it probably was intended to be a pokemon/digimon ripoff.

YES

MON COLLE KNIGHTS HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

i grew up with that shit

I've seen Seasons 1 and 2, as well as a good chunk of Season 4 (up until the Darkness Spirit joined up as the "Sixth Ranger", and then I just lost track of it). Missed Season 3, but I feel like I should at least check that out.

I don't know why, but I always had a weird reaction to that episode where Izzy gives up his heart and ends up floating in a void until his partner blew "flashback bubbles". It was weird seeing Izzy, the one constantly being driven to seek knowledge, simply going with it. Maybe it's just because, well, I kinda liked the kid. Even though he was the computer need, like JesuOtaku has said, he was the badass of the show.

Also, yeah, Nintendo, Toei did the electric bug thing (Tentomon) WAY before you did (Galvantula)! :P

I only saw the first few movies and a couple of episodes but, I have to say, Digimon has a really compelling concept. While the idea of parallel worlds isn't really groundbreaking, most children's series involve a separate world entirely, the real world exclusively, or hidden societies -- Pokemon or Angelic Layer, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Harry Potter, respectively, as examples from my memory. Digimon creates an entirely separate world within a comfortable universe, making suspension of disbelief natural and satisfying. The only other thing I can remember doing something similar is .hack, which has the weird discomfort of being nominally fantasy. Moreover, it lets the show handles "exploration" a lot more naturally, comprehensively, and believably than Pokemon or Harry Potter ever could -- comprehensive literature of the parallel world exists in both cases, whereas the Digidestined have only what they learn...

I'm not sure why I'm typing this. I really wish I had spent more time watching Digimon, though. The movies were really solid and I rather feel like going back and watching the entirety of the first few seasons.

I watched only 1, 2 and part of 3 IIRC, I only liked the first two mostly, I agree that it has gotten worse over the course (coughmuchlikeyugiohcough).

i believe i only watched the first season when i was a kiddie, but it was far better than the pokemon anime. the ps1 game was fucking awesome and i really want to play it again because i vaguely remember it being rather difficult. also the digimon tcg was confusing as fuck but later on i figured it out and it was pretty neat.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Honestly, only the first season stuck out in my head. And I watched a lil bit of the second season (That's the one with Ken as the Digimon Emperor right??)

I'd have to say, It really handled the prospect of people undergoing chasracter change and maturity in the face of changing times real well. Most shows have the characters remaining static up until a certain random point (normally towards the end of the series) where HOLY SHIT SUDDEN CHARACTER CHANGE I WILL USE MY NEWFOUND CHANGE OF HEART TO WIN!

Now see, with Tai and the gang, we knew about as much of the Digi-World as they did, and thus we grew with them. Learning about this strange new world and these fearsome creatures, it's the stuff that makes or breaks you. When they mature as characters and become familiar with an unfamiliar world, It's like we do too, and we haven't missed a beat to their progress.

Or maybe I'm just enamored with colorful imaginative creatures brutally destroying each other. I mean Holy shit, Metalseadramon suffers one of the most horrific deaths in animation history (skewered throughout the entire length of the inside of your body?) and even that was brought on after he shot Whalemon through the damn skull.

The Dark Masters and MyotisMon were amazing villains, and will forever represent this series to me lol.

Season one will always be the best season of Digimon for me. Even though Season 2 had all the old digidestined from the first show, they don't really explain where all the new gadgets that the new kids had came from. The main bad guy was a let down too.

The only things I really remember about this show were Blackwargreymon or whoever stomping around wrecking everyone's digital shit and Puppetmon being a jerk.

The Digimon anime is much,much,much better than the Pokemon anime. They're practically incomparable because the themes, characters and plot in Digimon are much better than Pokemon.
Maybe, but Pokemon's Black and White series is going kinda well.

Xros wars isn't very good. For me, it's even worse than 02. 02 at least had the Digimon Emperor arc, which was pretty good imo, but Xros Wars doesn't have one that I like. The sense of scale for Xros Wars is just terrible, with the team not only beating a Mega, but one of the Olympus Twelve at that.The main character is odd, as he doesn't not help anybody in trouble and one of the secondary characters is one of the most annoying things that ever graced the series. You remeber how Davis had that crush on Kari right? Crank that up to 12, addd some more stupidity and subtract the usefulness that Davis ever had, then you get Zenjirou Tsurugi.

Also, Xros Wars doesn't feel like Digimon. Xros Wars feels like a comining mecha series more than a Digimon series, kind of how Frontier felt more like Power Rangers than Digimon.

EDIT: Also, almost everyone I knew bought a digimon tamagotchi thing when we were kids. I still have mine, it's the yellow version and i remember frequently having to clean the shit the digimon makes every day otherwise it turns into that freaking nunemon that everyone hates. doublealso, digimon world for ps1 was freaking awesome of a rpg game albeit it's ridiculous difficulty for a kid's game imo
I still have mine, it is also yellow and I have replaced the batteries numerous times because of the amount I played it. Cleaning the shit was pretty annoying but the batles were fun spamming buttons.

In terms of seasons it goes and forever shall be 1>2>everything else. Digimon really went downhill after the second series but the movie was really good (I have it on video).

For any fellow Australians, who else misses the good old days of watching Pokemon/Digimon/DBZ/etc on Cheez TV? When Cheez TV finished it was the only time I have ever cried because of a tv show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)