Aerodactyl (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
While I'm not in QC, Unnerve definitely isn't as huge of a perk as you make it in the analysis. Balloon is commonly used over Shuca Berry. Occa Berry is a fair point, but it's only relevant on the Life Orb set. I suggest that this analysis kind of gets an "update on the metagame" so to speak.

What about a curse white herb set? It helps defense and it worka with the sandstream defense boost. If only it got acrobat

No, that's horrid I'm sorry to say. Not only is Curse gimmicky as hell but even with +def Aero is still likely to die to most physical hits especially if they're SE.

If Crobat can't pull of Herbal Curse with STAB Acrobatics then I don't really think Aerodactyl can so without it...

While I'm not in QC, Unnerve definitely isn't as huge of a perk as you make it in the analysis. Balloon is commonly used over Shuca Berry. Occa Berry is a fair point, but it's only relevant on the Life Orb set. I suggest that this analysis kind of gets an "update on the metagame" so to speak.
I overhyped Unnerve a bit, mainly because it's Aerodactyl's main niche in the meta as opposed to sweepers such as Excadrill. This will be getting a full revamp after I finish Ninjask and Wormadam.

I find the Suicide Rocker to be pretty sub-par. Sure, it's pretty much guaranteed to get Stealth Rock up and maybe prevent the other lead from doing so, but then it dies, especially with team preview, which I feel makes momentum much more important than entry hazards. Most people see Aerodactyl and think Taunt so they just straight up attack it anyway, and Aero's defenses are really, really terrible. It's pretty much 2HKO'd by everything, even pokes that aren't investing offensively. I've been finding bulkier, mid-game, Stealth Rockers to be more popular AND effective. I think the Hone Claws and Life Orb sets are where we should be looking for Aerodactyl. I also second the motion that Taunt should be replaced with Fire Blast, as even with Jolly nature, Aerodactyl is still able to 2HKO standard Ferrothorn even with leftovers recovery (although you're probably OHKO'd by Gyro Ball anyway) and does a number to physically defensive Skarmory. I'm not even sure if Roost is worth it as well, as the window for Aerodactyl to use it in is pretty damn small.

Nah, disagree with any removal of Roost. Aerodactyl is specially bulky in sandstorm.. its actually the best Heatran switch in :)

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nah, disagree with any removal of Roost. Aerodactyl is specially bulky in sandstorm.. its actually the best Heatran switch in :)
how would that work. if u wanna roost, epower will hit him, and also with the given spread standard ballontran will 2hko with hpice after rocks soo its a check at best.

I wouldn't remove Roost completely, but I think slashing it with another coverage move like Aqua Tail to hit Balloon Heatran might be viable.

Also this^

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
how would that work. if u wanna roost, epower will hit him, and also with the given spread standard ballontran will 2hko with hpice after rocks soo its a check at best.
That would be pretty amazing prediction on the Heatran user's part to use Earth Power on a pokemon that will likely kill it. That prediction would be stupid since Aerodactyl will likely switch out or just use Stone Edge to break the Air Balloon INSTEAD of Roosting, all while Heatran tries to hit a Flying-type with Earth Power. Since Heatran 2hko's it, as you say, Heatran is now dead.

I do concur with you, though; Aerodactyl has no business using Roost, but for different reasons from what you stated. It's too frail and just need to do its job before being blown back into the Jurassic period.

I can see Roost being useful if Aero switches into an HP Ice from Heatran, but even that requires either a misplay or amazing prediction. I feel like there aren't really any instances where I would feel safe Roosting and would much rather just straight up attack something, especially because Aero is so priority weak.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Talked this over with QC and we came to the conclusion that Aerodactyl sucks ass. Regardless, here are some suggestions:

1. We agreed on the following set order: Life Orb --> Hone Claws --> Stealth Rock. We agreed that LO + Taunt was the most effective, followed by Hone Claws, followed by the Stealth Rock set because it's essentially a poorer user of SR than Deoxys-S and the like.
  2. Remove Focus Sash as an option on the Hone Claws set. Focus Sash is useless since by the time Aerodactyl makes its appearance, SR will likely be in play, removing the Sash and whatnot. Life Orb is far superior and should be the only item listed.
  3. Change the name of "Suicide Rocker" to "Stealth Rock" please. That's all; your checks and counters section is a bit wacky, but PK Gaming will be covering that.
QC APPROVED (1/3)

EDIT: You don't need a Dream World section if Aero's ability has been released.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Agreeing with Bloo's suggestions. Also on the LO set Stone Edge should be listed before Earthquake.

QC Approved (2/3)

EDIT: Agreed with PKGaming, I kind of didn't look very hard at that section. Checks and Counters should consist of Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Conkeldurr, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Scizor, Mamoswine, Azumarill, Forretress, Suicune, Slowbro, etc.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The counters section is dreadful.

How does Accelgor stop Aerodactyl from using Stealth Rock it doesn't even get Taunt. Furthermore Accelgor would never stay in on Aerodactyl because it gets wrecked by Stone Edge. Finally, Accelgor is completely unseen in OU, so just remove all mentions of it. Nobody would ever risk their Thundurus by taunting Aerodactyl, its far too risky so remove that mention too. Whimsicott is a poor counter at best because Taunt is obvious and Stone Edge will obliterate it.

The LO counters section is just laughable. Accelgor again?!? Jolteon itself extremely rare in OU and it speed ties with Aerodactyl so its a shaky check at best. You're better of mentioning more common counters. Aerodactyls main weakness stems from slower bulkier Pokemon, not faster Pokemon that can't even switch in. Ferrothorn and Scizor make are solid counters for obvious reasons. Skarmory can absorb Aerodactyl's hits all day and retaliate with a semi damaging Brave Bird. Gliscor has no problem sponging Aerodactyl's hits and smashing it with Ice Fang.

Edit: Taunt + Roost variants will beat Skarmory however.

Again same deal with Hone Claws set. Whimsicott and Thundurus do not counter Aerodactyl because they get wrecked by Stone Edge. They can't even switch in!

Please, please, please update your counters section. I'm withholding my QC check until you update it.

I think a 252 HP / 252 Def Whimsicott can survive a Stone Edge pretty decently, factoring in Leech Seed it could work.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Its one of the weakest checks at best because it can't even directly threaten Aerodactyl. I don't see why it deserves special mention over better counters.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The OP hasn't been touched since Apr 26th, and the QC team as already gone over this thread. I would like to know if there's work being done on this analysis by its owner or...?

Bloo

Banned deucer.
"smashlloyd20 has just informed me that he is giving up Aerodactyl, so that's available now as well."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)