Moves: Snatch & Magic Coat

Hello there fellow Smogonites! I'm mamoswineFTW, and I've recently switched from playing Ubers to UU. I've only been actually battling for the last week or so, but have been keeping an eye on battles whilst trying to build my own since the official UU tier started.

In this time, I've come to notice 2 quite obvious things: the use of hazards/status inducing moves, and set-up moves. And so I tailored a lead based upon this, using Magic Coat AND Snatch, and you'd be surprised how effective it is.

It should be noted that this requires a LOT of prediction, but it works quite well. I don't have a hazard setter/rapid spinner, but Magic Coat does it for me. And the possibility of Snatching Substitutes, Quiver Dances, SHELL SMASHES, hell, even Cosmic Powers, is amazing. In the last match before writing this up, my Kecleon was able to Reflect Toxic Spikes and then a Roar, Snatch a Substitute and Shell Smash, and then actually sweep through 2/3 of the opponent's team! This was probably mostly due to luck, but I just wanted to highlight the possibilities.

Now, let's have a look at the pokemon in UU that get the moves:

Snatch:
By level up:
Shuppet/Banette
Munchlax/Snorlax
Deoxys-Defense
Purrloin/Liepard
Heatmor

By Breeding:
Ekans/Arbok
Meowth/Persian
Poochyena/Mightyena
Kecleon
Glameow/Purugly
Zorua/Zoroark
Druddigon

Additional users via TM in Gen IV:
Clefairy/Clefable
Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat
Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
Ghastly/Haunter
Drowzee/Hypno
Chansey (don't think she's still UU though)
Mr Mime
Aipom/Ambipom
Umbreon
Murkrow/Honchkrow
Misdreavus/Mismagius
Sneasel/Weavile
Houndour/Houndoom
Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade
Sableye
Gulpin/Swalot
Spoink/Grumpig
Spinda
Seviper
Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir
Chimecho
Absol
Huntail
Stunky/Skuntank
Froslass
Rotom forms

Magic Coat:
By level up:
Porygon/Porygon-Z
Spoink/Grumpig
Lopunny

By breeding:
Girafarig
Dunsparce
Kecleon
Absol
Munna/Musharna

Gen IV Move Tutor:
Clefairy/Clefable
Vulpix (no Drought)
Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff
Psyduck/Golduck
Mankey/Primeape
Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam (no Magic Guard)
Machop/Machoke/Machamp
Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking (no Regenerator)
Magnemite/Magneton
Drowzee/Hypno
Voltorb/Electrode
Mr Mime
Jynx
Tauros
Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium
Hoothoot/Noctowl
Togetic/Togekiss
Sudowoodo
Aipom/Ambipom
Misdreavus/Mismagius
Corsola
Houndour/Houndoom
Stantler
Celebi
Makuhita/Hariyama
Nosepass/Probopass
Sableye
Meditite/Medicham
Cacnea/Cacturne (no Water Absorb)
Lunatone
Solrock
Baltoy/Claydol
Milotic
Bastiodon
Drifloon/Driftblim
Chatot
Snover/Abomasnow
Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf
Cresselia

Phew, that took forever to type up. Anyway, here are some I feel could be viable to use both:

Copied from nuke327's OP for Kecleon
Anti Lead
Kecleon @ Brick Mail
144 Hp / 148 Atk / 216 Def -- Brave
~Magic Coat
~Snatch
~Sucker Punch
~Focus Punch

Essentially, with this set your goal is to be the biggest annoyance possible. Send him out as a lead and the fun begins:

- Can reflect all entry hazards, status effects, and taunt with Magic Coat. It can frequently give you free stealth rocks if used correctly.

- Can steal opponents boosting moves with Snatch, improving Kecleons stats and wasting your opponents turn.

This set requires immense amounts of predictions, (it really helps to have some knowledge about common movesets), but it also has immense pay off if used correctly. Use Magic Coat and Snatch when prudent, and if you expect a switch just fire off a Focus Punch.

Copied from johnwesleyx in Snatch thread:
Umbreon@leftovers
252 Hp/ (insert Defense Evs here)
Synchronise:
~Snatch
~Baton Pass
~Wish
~Payback/Dark Pulse

Steal enemy boosts and quickly pass them to one of your fellow sweepers and wreck havoc upon the enemy. Once again prediction is key.

Copied from Legacy Raider's Porygon2 Magic Coat post: (I know Proygon2 isn't UU, but maybe Porygon could work?)
Porygon @ Evolution Stone
Calm - Trace
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

This thing looks like it'll be amazing fun... the overall bulkiest Pokemon in the game with instant recovery, only one weakness, BoltBeam coverage, the ability to copy opponent's abilities, AND the capability of reflecting back hazards, Taunt, Toxic, Whirlwind... you name it. Porygon, i <3 you.

If anyone else can think of sets to abuse these moves, please share. Also, with the threads in the normal Dragonspiral Tower forum, they discuss the users in regard to countering the OU powerhouses. Please try and think of how these users will be able to function in the new UU environment.

Porygon 2 isn't UU.

But still! I remember reading an old Warstory about a Keckleon which completely messed screwed the opponent over with well placed Snatches, stealing Subs and Swords Dances. It has potential.

Imagine Snatching a Shell Smash.

Porygon 2 isn't UU.

But still! I remember reading an old Warstory about a Keckleon which completely messed screwed the opponent over with well placed Snatches, stealing Subs and Swords Dances. It has potential.

Imagine Snatching a Shell Smash.
What I meant was using Porygon instead of Porygon2. But maybe that wouldn't work so well after all...

Yeah, that story is what inspired me to use Kecleon. And you'd be surprised how awesome it is! People just don't know what to expect from him. Hehe, last battle I Magic Coated SR and then Taunt, Snatched a substitute and a few Calm Minds from a Reuniclus, then Snatched a Swords Dance from Bisharp. Swept from behind the sub with +2 Attack, +3 Def/Sp Def!

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, that story is what inspired me to use Kecleon. And you'd be surprised how awesome it is! People just don't know what to expect from him. Hehe, last battle I Magic Coated SR and then Taunt, Snatched a substitute and a few Calm Minds from a Reuniclus, then Snatched a Swords Dance from Bisharp. Swept from behind the sub with +2 Attack, +3 Def/Sp Def!
Your opponent kind of walked right in to that though. He saw you stealing he boosts, and continued to boost? Any decent player would have straight attacks after the first one or two snatches, and severely weakened your sweeping chances.

Chansey is still UU.

Snatch just happens to be one of those rare moves that nobody carries, but if someone isn't prepared for it you're screwed.

I know my opponent wasn't the greatest, just showing what it could do. But what I'm trying to emphasise is that with proper opponents, you can prompt switches if they see you stealing boosts. Keep them changing play, stopping set-up sweepers. Or at least postponing their set up/weakening them a bit.

And prediction is also the key to using Focus Punch. Kecleon may not hit that hard, but 150 BP isn't anything to scoff at.

Does the hitmons and machamp learn magic coat? I once thought they would because serebii.net said so before, but I thought it turned out to be false...am I right?

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It won't work more than once on any decent opponent. To be honest I can only see it having marginal use on Chansey to deter things from setting up on it, otherwise, not really.

These are very cool moves, but they are hard to utilize outside the lead spot, and team preview kinda screws over lead sets. But both moves are excellent on any walls. I really like the umbreon set because he can BP any stolen boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)