10/10 games

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
You know those reasons everyone gives when asked why they love Ocarina of Time? All of those apply to Majora's Mask, and in addition, you have a much more thematically mature story, more balanced dungeons, a really neat time traveling mechanic that somewhat reminded me of Chrono Trigger (another one of my favorites that others have already covered). Criminally underrated in comparison to Ocarina of Time, almost as much as Wind Waker, although both are getting the recognition they deserve these days.

Paper Mario - Man, the second one was...alright, didn't touch the third one (real time, c'mon...). The first PM was easily the best and was a great way for the N64 to close off. Story's involved (not cringing, like later games), the music was some of the best I've ever heard, and you also get the best partners ever.

Mario Kart 64 - The definitive MK game. Time tested gameplay, memorable courses (which the later games lack), and a simple-but-tough learning curve to truly master. Despite the simplicity of kart racing mixed with items, the racing here is quite complex and strategic. And Battle Mode in this game is the best too. Forget the Wii game (which sucks ass). This is way better to play with other people. It's honestly completely superior in my opinion.

These are the best. Fact.

For some reason, I have a soft spot for Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. I spent hours on that game as a kid, and I really enjoyed it.

Most of my others have been mentioned (Chrono Trigger, Majora's Mask). I think Wind Waker was pretty decent, but maybe not 10/10.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
M&L:SS is pretty damn fun too. I sometimes like to speedrun it, I've gotten to Bowser's Castle Great Door in like 9:15 once!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Star Ocean 2 can suck my balls, LITERALLY impossible for me to craft two of Opera's Killer Move boxes... :chaos::chaos::chaos:

Oh, I forgot to mention a game:

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

"wtf capefeather are you retarded" If you have to be retarded to like this game then I don't want to be functioning. I cannot even find many words to describe it. It's a surreal experience made more awesome when you consider that most of the stuff in the game was Michael Jackson's idea. This actually came out of Michael Jackson's brain. And as far as the gameplay goes, it's actually a good beat-em-up. Seriously.

I enjoyed Beat Hazard but I wouldn't have called it a 10/10 game. The main problem is the fact that it's extremely difficult to play slower, quieter songs on it since your weapons are pissweak. An update did just come out so I might try to it again to see if the situation has improved.
Either way, it's already ten times the game Audiosurf was and Audiosurf was already pretty close to perfect. And even though Beat Hazard even more than Audiosurf favors fast loud music, I've been able to have playing literally hundreds of artists that I listen to regularly despite this probably being their first video game appearance. I mean, hypothetically there's something better out there that can be made, but at this point it kinda seems to me that it's a situation like with early Mario where Beat Hazard has set a standard that a lot of other video games are going to try to imitate (though also a lot of this is in my head where I pretend that Beat Hazard is a Tetris-like obsession for people other than me and some random dudes on the internet).
Also, to the dude who posted on my page asking about Super Mario Braid - I explained it in my post as well as I can without assisting in criminal activity that I am of course unaware of. But I have to say that's just how I became unaware of it, and I've heard probably about anything that can emulate older games - say that exciting new Sony Vita thing, or a computer with possibly like a wiimote wirelessly attached for some odd reason, could probably do the same thing. Either way, I hated Braid because the "levels" you go through are just straight lines with puzzle pieces thrown around. While the puzzles in Super Mario Braid don't go beyond what's in world 2 of braid (which was level 1, remember guys that shit was complex), it's still so much fun to wander around. Just don't try to play it on an original NES, it's impossible if you don't have psychic powers.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mario Kart 64 - The best game ever, obviously. Everyone knows the multiplayer is amazing, but time trials is really where this game shines. The learning curve is amazing; you can spend years improving and still have plenty of room to grow. Every course plays differently in its own way, and even after over a decade of obsessive racing from hundreds of the best players in the world, the world records continue to improve every year. This is the game that made me a gamer.

Super Metroid - The most flawless single player experience I've ever seen. Literally the only thing I can think of that would improve this game is removing that save zone after the point of no return. The atmosphere, the difficulty, the music, the fights, everything about this game is just pure excellence.

Super Mario 64 - I'll admit there's a nostalgia factor here, but I have yet to find another game that is as fun to just mess around in. I can pick this up anytime and go into one of the levels and just explore, go on a coin run, do a green demon challenge, whatever. I still try to do a 120 star run at least once every year.

Honorable mentions: Civilization IV, StarCraft, Super Mario Kart, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon FireRed.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
A slight necro, but this is a good thread for people looking to play more quality games anyway.

Suikoden II - My all time favorite rpg, ever. 108 recruitable characters and an original, deep, intricately emotional plot that explored friendship and betrayal like few others of its time or beyond. Just play it. I would highly recommend the whole suikoden series to anyone who wants to play (easily accessibly via emulator / rom). 1-3 and 5 are great; 4 is underappreciated but admittedly not the best suikoden quality.

Xenogears - 80+ hours of nonstop, go, go, go RPG gameplay. One of the few games that managed to stay original from beginning to end, not get boring, and keep it's main plot in sight and in relevance at all times. Again, just play it. I recommend ONLY Xenogears in this series (Xenosaga games stunk).

Chrono Series (Trigger and Cross) - Sorry, had to cop out and choose both. It's just too hard for me to choose which I like better, but both are 10 / 10 for me. Trigger's absolutely classic Masamune / Frog scene (Frog in general), heartwrenching story for one of the "villains," incredible soundtrack (hello Frog's theme and Zeal era theme), and multiple endings format sets it apart. Cross' only "flaw" was too many characters with too little depth...but I view this more as superfluous candy than anything detracting because the characters that should have had depth, had it.

Final Fantasy VI - Kefka...greatest RPG villain of all time (sorry FFVII fanboys)? Yes, greatest, most infuriating rpg villain of all time. Helps that the plot, generally somber atmosphere, and character development were all extremely high in quality as well.

EDIT: Somehow forgot about this one...

Tales of Symphonia - Kratos Aurion, my favorite mentor type character of all time. Lloyd is one of the few main characters that never managed to irritate me, and Symphonia gets to rank itself as the only Tales game that managed to keep me interested from minute 1 to the end (Tales' games tend to get dull midgame).

Super Mario World - I loved this game, so much different levels, none of them ever felt stale. The amount of alternate paths and detours available is another relic of the old nintendo age games.

Super Metroid - Best.Metroid.Ever. Not a fan of the prime games, and the closest new metroid game to get the feeling of Metroid right is Zero Mission on the GBA.

Custom Robo - It may seem out of place, but this is my all time favourite game of the previous generation. A game about customizable robots fighting it out against CPU opponents through a pretty interesting single player experience. The amount of parts available really made this game, and it was a blast to play.

SSBM - Years of fun this one is. Fighting games sucked, but then this hit. SSB was good, Melee is perfect.

Link to the Past / OoT - Standard fanboy love for the best 3D and 2D Zeldas made.

Kirby Canvas Curse - What I really like about these new Kirby games is that when they find a new "gimmick" they really milk it for all its worth, CC had a painter mechanic, backed by a perfect soundtrack and level design that really made this game a truly beautiful package. It put me in a trance to play, few games can say that. This game was only possible on the DS and used it perfectly and surprisingly was an earlier game to the DS's amazing life cycle.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - The best 3D platformer, no platformer out now can compete.

Special Mentions: Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story. My all time favourite DS game, however I need to beat it a couple more times to see if it really is a 10/10 game and claim its perfect for its genre and system.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Streets of Rage 2

If you want 2-3 hours of no nonsense side-scrolling beat 'em up fun, look no further. The soundtrack is awesome and the graphics are excellent for a (19 year old) 2D game. There isn't much of a plot, but you'll be too absorbed to care.

Get it via the Wii Virtual Console or Xbox Live Arcade, or download a Sega emulator, and enjoy!

Kirby Epic Yarm:Similar to NewSuperMarioBros.Very entretaining. It hasn't very good graphics but it's something you aren't looking when you play a game of Wii

In my opinion a 10/10 game is a game you can put on, play, have fun with it, not get bored of it and do this consistenly over a large period of time
Because of this Im pretty sure what a 10/10 to me is probably an 9 or even lower to someone else. (They are pretty good games)

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal - Easily my favourite game ever, it is so incredibly fun, awesome original story and to boot fantastic weaponry beyond what COD can give you. It kept me hooked until the very end with its Challenge Mode allowing me to make it the first game I beat and went to 100%

Ratchet and Clank: This was in fact the second game I purchased, I bought No.3 (UYA) then this one and well I loved it too, its originality the style and simple yet awesome weapons make it a great game, combined with Challenge Mode I feel it has no drawbacks and give it a 10/10

As you may have seen I love Ratchet and Clank, but I didnt give the others 10/10 because they all have only 1 incredibly boring Clank level (where you play as his Ratchet's 'toaster') which were boring and let me down (despite the rest of the game being fantastic)

Pokemon does not get 10/10 ever because it takes so freaking long to do anything good (competitively) without an AR, its like Nintendo punishes you for not owning one

Other games that would be on the list

-inFamous: This gets 9.9/10 and only because sometimes the Cole is too 'clingy' if youve played the game you know what I mean

I consider myself a connoisseur of games, yes. It is an elitist notion. I don't like to be snooty about it, but it's a snooty concept. If people want to be equally snooty, they should buy old consoles and play old games on them. It's actually kind of the popular thing to do at the moment, so I don't see why this is an issue.

So you think instead of (for free) downloading and emulating Amiga games (that were, for the most part, already paid for ten years ago) I should actually put my money in other people's pockets - because not a penny of an old console i buy on ebay will EVER find its way back to the games industry - and buy an outdated machine that was unstable as fuck back when I owned one in '97, entails endless disk-swapping, when half the games I'd buy are on floppies that have become corrupt anyway due to the passage of time?

Is having my game crash before I could save it (because saving things on those machines is a pain in the ASS) and losing ~8 hours progress 'being a conneisseur'? Using joysticks that were old and dodgy ten years ago, is that what a 'conneisseur' would do? To me, that detracts from the gaming experience. Is going out and having to buy a new TV 'the experience' (mine only has HDMI input, I believe)?

I play old games because I love them. I still smile when I see a 'Guru Meditation' error box - but that's because I don't have to put up with them anymore and have my gaming ruined until either I work out what bug in the game is causing it to fuck up, my Amiga stops being broken, or both. I don't want to spend fifteen to thirty - even fortyfive, for certain games, BASS I'm looking at you - minutes out of every hour finding disk x to put into drive y so I can access a different bit of the level. I don't want to have to take super care of my floppies and keep them away from all things wet or magnetic only to find out it doesnt matter anyway because it's stuck in the drive and has corrupted. There's a reason we use different technology now.

Your strict 'especially competent to pass critical judgements' definition of connoisseur applies only to the fine arts; the other definition is 'one who is a discerning judge of the best in <x> field'. Gaming is not a fine art. Whether someone is a 'discerning judge of the best' in gaming is a personal matter and has fuck all to do with the notion that you should be using outdated consoles that will break on you four times a day.

(I know the I PIRATE GAMES WELL YOU SHOULDN'T THINK OF THE STARVING DEVELOPERS cock-waving contest has been done to death, if this has been too I apologise - just as one who almost exclusively plays emulated old games I thought I'd explain the reasoning for doing so. it's certainly not because I don't love the machine).

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Although everyone has already said this, this game was truly a masterpiece and I'm glad its the first videogame I ever picked up.

Conker's Bad Fur Day: Amazing game. You would think fighting a giant piece of poo would take away from the game, but as a matter of fact, it made it better! Overall, the game felt complete and the graphics were pretty on point for it being on the N64.

StarCraft: Easily the best computer game I've ever played. This game wasn't about the graphics or character design (although the different races were very well designed), this game was all about strategy and gameplay. It made you think about every move you made and it was extremely time consuming, especially playing against friends.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Advance Wars: My god, I have sunk countless hours into this and Dual Strike. I prefer the original to anything else. I remember the first time that I beat Sturm, I was not very old and it had seemed impossible to me. I believe that I had Grit and Eagle. And then the War Room! Holy shit! I spent hundreds of hours beating every War Room map, re-beating them, beating them for high scores, beating them with different COs, S-ranking everything. It is the pinnacle of handheld gaming and one of the best games ever made. Dual Strike was ok, but I only picked it up around 4 months ago, and...it was just lacking something. The COs didn't have the personality. There were too many gimmicks, not enough strategy. Winning in a certain number of days, destroying the object, capturing certain cities to win...it really, really didn't do it for me. Some could say, go to the War Room if you want classic AW gameplay, but the only maps that I enjoyed were the AW1 ones. The new ones were too big, not enough strategy, too long. The best map IMO is Ridge Island. Grit and I had the best back-and-forth; at one moment, I would be at a massive advantage, with tanks at each choke point, ready to plow through his defenses and pave a way through the rockets, but at the next turn he would be forcing me out, making me regroup. I love every facet of Advance Wars

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: Wow, so much is great about this game. The amazing HUD, the great controls, the immersive world, the impressive graphics, the GREAT dungeons...everything. I've sunk 40 hours into this game already. The only complaint I have is fucking Jabu-Jabu's Belly.

Bioshock: Wow. When I picked up this game, I expected a cool shooter, nothing too special. What I got blew me out of the water. I didn't expect it to have the amazing atmosphere that it does. A defining moment is when you swim out of the water, and you land in Rapture, and you see the bloody murder and the splicer trying to carve into your...i forget what its called lol. And the frantic pace of trying to dodge Houdini Splicer's attacks, trying desperately to shoot them, to reload, to get just a moment to regroup. Cautiously walking through the halls, afraid to peek into the next room, hearing the amazing dialogue that means a splicer is near. A standout moment is when I was walking through a hall, and I just hear a broken voice singing "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so...". Fantastic.

Other great stuff:
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
every other Zelda game....
mario and luigi: bowser's inside story

Why do you guys seem to prefer Dual Strike over Days of Ruin? I found Dual Strike to have way to much shit happening to make it playable after the mid point of the game. (All those clone characters), Those specials were OP. Days of Ruin streamlined it, cut back on some of the units and added a much more interesting story, and imo, better art.

If you like the original the most, then that's perfectly acceptable.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
In all honesty I just heard better things of DS. I'll pick up Days of Ruin soon, it's probably quite cheap now. I got DS for six dollars. Best six dollars I ever spent, except maybe when I got AW1 for a couple bucks xD

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just 100% completed Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. I never played the original game when it was released and I'm somewhat glad I didn't. The revamped graphics are absolutely stunning; I stared at Ganondorf's organ room for a good three minutes. The new controls are a lot more intuitive, I was able to set Bombs and the Lens of Truth to the two "touch buttons" which made progressing through dungeons less of a hassle. They also changed the Hover Boots and Iron Boots to regular items instead of gear. The story and music (♥ Song of Storms/Requiem of Spirits/Kakariko Village) are both equally amazing. Despite the lack of a decent reward for collecting all of the Golden Skulltulas, I still felt a sense of accomplishment when I hit #100. I will probably play through Master Quest (which is included on the cartridge!) sometime in the near future. This game is definitely worth the money for anyone who currently owns a 3DS.

In all honesty I just heard better things of DS. I'll pick up Days of Ruin soon, it's probably quite cheap now. I got DS for six dollars. Best six dollars I ever spent, except maybe when I got AW1 for a couple bucks xD
Its much better then Dual Strike imo, and has about as much units as the original. There are a few balancing issues (The new weapon of the game is a bit too strong) and silly things like Mech raids still work will enough ingame. It was also much better paced then Dual Strike, which honestly went off the deep end during the ocean missions.

Also OoT:3D is awesome, bought a 3DS day one just for it. However I cannot claim its a 10/10 game during this day and age anymore. Some of the mechanics are clearly relics of the 1990's. The whole Press A to do everything was infuriating when multiple options were available.

3D was amazing whenever I had it on to view the sights. First Person + 3D mode man ffff.

Red Dead Redemption: Initially frustrated and angered by the aim system but the story of John Marston hooked me in. Spent a shit ton of time doing side missions and playing it "the right way."

GTA Vice City, San Adreas, IV: Rich in dialogue, great story lines, and excellent gameplay. I love the open worlds Rockstar creates.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: This is one game Ive replayed countless times. My favorite Zelda title to date.

Donkey Kong 64:I didnt really like the 64 but this was one reason to beg a family member to borrow theirs!

Donkey Kong Country for SNES: A childhood favorite!

NBA JAM: Ridiculous dunks and memorable lines.

Ape Escape (RIP first analog controller): So much fun! So many things to do. One of the games that broke me into Adventure games.

Metal Gear Solid: Classic! Great dialouge, story, and excellent game play. I dont mind the boss battles too much because Snake is a fucking bad ass.

Gran Turismo: I am curios as to how much time I spent playing this game. I dont think the game is particularly fun but being able to make "Special Models" out of almost every car gave me a carrot to chase.

Tomb Raider 1 and 2: Huge tits.

Crash Bandicoot: Warped: What I especially love about the game is the pace at which you play. Its been years since Ive played it.

Spyro the Dragon: I had a lot a fun charging shit with my horns. That means its 10/10 right?

Mortal Kombat Trilogy: So many characters! Noob Saibot, total bad ass. Chameleon! First MK game with Babalities and Brutalities no? Those were always entertaining.

Gran Turismo 3: My obsession with Gran Turismo 1 resurfaced later on with GT3. The new F1 and race cars almost caused me to become entirely anti-social.

Super Mario Galaxy 2: I read a review and purchased it for my nephew for his 7th birthday. I was visiting him in Connecticut for 3 days so I figured I could play it to see how it is. I was hooked instantly.

Fallout 3: When I saw my cousin playing this game I didnt think much of it. I thought it was just a lame shooter until I picked up the controller and started playing it. The game is so good Im looking to buy another copy of it :|

Rome Total War (Especially with Roma Surrectum and Barbario Invasio): Another game I obsessed about. I didnt like the vanilla campaign so much but with the Greek City States and Roma Surrectum, the game became much more interesting and challenging. I love the variety of units the community intergrated into the mods.

Resident Evil 3: I was genuinely scared playing this shit on Dreamcast.

Sonic Adventure: I might have had a seizure playing this.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PLEASE REMAKE THIS SHIT IN HD)

Wow Im really surprised I dont have more modern games on there. Nostalgia maybe?

Guess Ill pick up some modern greats with the trade-in cash Ill get for Dark of the Moon and L.A Noire (Still wondering how Rockstar and Bondi published a game with such limited player action).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gaming is not a fine art.
I couldn't disagree more. Fine art is art without practical application. Painting does nothing but furnish. Theatre is for entertainment. A well made chair can be art but it's not a fine art because chairs have practical applications. Video games are just for fun.

Historically art connoisseurs are associated with collections of art as well, so there's that. It may be harder, but many of us are willing to play old games the hard way because it is what we love to do.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Years later I still make the mistake of thinking MK Trilogy is UMK3 -______-

Regardless, coming over to Playstation made the game more enjoyable. I could probably bust out all the ninja combos still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)