Bulky OU Team

This is my Pokemon team. It's quite a bulky team, but generally those are the kind of teams that I like the best. This is my first RMT and it's the first team that I've actually put more than 5 minutes of thought into. I'm fairly new to this so try to tell me anything you can. Thanks!

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Nature:Adamant
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch
- Payback
- Substitute

Typical lead Machamp, not that special. I have substitute just in case I have a chance to set up on a switch out.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Nature:Adamant
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Roar

Physically bulky Gyarados to come in on a lot of pokemon and attempt to setup. It can act as a wall and can roar out opposing sweepers that may be walled by Gyarados. Bounce is so I can often get an extra turn of leftovers when I need it, which has proven helpful several times.

Heatran @ Shucca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Hp / 36 SpAtk / 220 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Specially defensive stealth rocker and explosion Heatran. I use this as a switch in to fire attacks and certain special attackers and as a switch in to other Heatran as well. It can take several special hits and still survive a Scartran's Earth Power with over half its health left.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Nature: Adamant
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Spore
- Seed Bomb

Typical Breloom, but I put EV's in Hp rather than Speed. I figure even with max speed EV's, it probably won't outspeed anything that can kill it anyway, and I'd rather try to tank a hit and then land a spore.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Hp / 188 Def / 68 SpDef
Nature: Bold
- Air Slash
- Body Slam
- Trick
- Roost

This is a trick and Paraflinch Togekiss, mostly to deal with walls such as Blissey, Celebi, Shaymin, etc. Those pokemon have seemed to give my team a hard time in the past so I put this guy in.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
- Earthquake
- Outrade
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge

Revenge Killer, not much else to say. Used as a switch in on electric attacks that would otherwise hurt Togekiss or Gyarados.

Yeah Skarmory looks like it'd be a huge bitch for this team. Picture this: you're playing full stall and Heatran goes kaboom on Blissey. In comes Skarmory and... you can't do anything to it. I think you could make great use of either Specs Jolteon or Calm Mind Raikou in place of Togekiss since they couldn't care less about Skarmory, and contrary to what you stated in Togekiss's description, you're really not weak to Blissey, Celebi or Shaymin at all. Blissey is handily beaten by just about everything on your team, while Celebi and Shaymin get murked by Heatran, and actually can't do much to Jolteon or Raikou since they rarely have Earth Power. I would personally go for Calm Mind Raikou with Aura Sphere and Hidden Power Ice to clean up after Gyarados and friends have done their work. Also, they give you a really standard Gyarados + Electric combo, which can be helpful since you're actually really weak to opposing Jolteon and Raikou!

Your team is actually excellent in terms of resistances and typing, but you have some really questionable moves and spreads, so there are a ton of little changes you should consider. Let's start from the top. Machamp wants Bullet Punch over Substitute to break Aerodactyl's and Azelf's Focus Sashes, and you should probably stick with the standard 240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe EV spread to survive Azelf's Psychic and outpace Blissey. On Gyarados, I strongly recommend using Taunt over Roar or else you'll be really susceptible to status from things that can take a hit, like Blissey. You also don't need all that bulk seeing as Gyarados is your primary sweeper, so I would definitely simplify things and go for a 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe spread. I personally like a Jolly nature on Gyarados because Adamant Gyarados comes just short on outpacing Jolteon after a Dragon Dance.

On Heatran, please please please just use a 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe spread because you absolutely need to be able to tie opposing Heatran so you can hit them with Earth Power. Also, use a Naive nature, because there's no point in reducing Heatran's attack when you're using Explosion. For Breloom, it might be worthwhile to use some Speed because you currently tie other 4 Speed Skarmory. There's no real reason not to just max out its Speed since you're not bulky to begin with since you're using an Adamant nature, so you should just use a 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe spread to get maximum Poison Heal recovery and to ensure you can get the Spore off on Skarmory first. Lastly, ThunderPunch is probably a better option over Stone Edge on Flygon because it can take Gyarados out in one shot (Stone Edge fails to accomplish this), who gives you problems if you let it get up a Dragon Dance.

Don't get me wrong, despite my numerous suggestions, your team is really good and looks identical to the team archetype that I tend to use in DP. You have no ~major~ flaws, but as mentioned above there are a lot of little tweaks that can make your team better.

Wow thanks. I'm fairly new to this so that was very helpful.

I think I will probably put in a Jolteon to my team in place of Flygon or Togekiss. I did some calculations and a jolly Flygon can't OHKO the standard bulky Gyarados with thunderpunch. Also, what do you think about using a Starmie instead of Jolteon? I might just swap the Gyarados for a Swampert in that case.

Well I actually like my Heatran build because it can OHKO any opposing Scarftrans while being able to take a hit as well. I guess it would be able to take a hit even with the spread you suggested too, as long as I keep my Shucca berry.

Your suggestions all make a lot of sense. Thanks a bunch. I'll see what I can come up with.

another problem is a bulky water, like milotic. with surf it can take out heatran and machamp in 2-3 hits. with ice beam, it can take out togekiss, flygon, and breloom. and with hp electric, it can take out ur gyarados in one hit. i suggest switchin a poke for a counter to bulky waters like milo. a jolteon would work great, as u said.

To solve the above problems I recommend using a calm mind Jirachi. Jirachi also helps against Lucario.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Timid
252hp/252 speed/4 Sp.atk
- Calm mind
- Wish/Substitute
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)