Flame God's Kagutsuchi

炎神のカグツチ - Flame God's Kagutsuchi

Introduction

I am really liking the B/W OU metagame at the moment, but with the departure of Garchomp (rest in peace), I was out of a dozen or so teams =/, so around a week ago, I figured I'd might as well try my hand at making at the very least, an average acceptable team that focused on removing the usual counters and checks to Volcarona and attempt a sweep. My decision to make this team came from my success with using Volcarona as a lead to get an early sweep, or dent my opponent's team, and then initiate a couple of mini sweeps throughout the whole game. As I wanted to try a more effective Chesto Rest set, which has the bulk to pull a couple Quiver Dances out of his ass. Though I couldn't just take the set and slap it onto my current team, as it lacked the proper support it needed to pull off those Quiver Dances, so I decided to just ditch my old team and make a new team. Unlike my past few teams, I have put a bit more effort into the team itself, noting down which Pokémon threaten Volcarona, and then plan my party and sets accordingly. This is also the first RMT I have even bothered to put some effort into in a while (my interest in the game hit an all time low back then). Some credits has to go to my tutor Nachos, who helped me construct the main bulk of this team.

Team Overview

|[jump=1]-[/jump]
[jump=1]-[/jump]|[jump=2]-[/jump]
[jump=2]-[/jump]|[jump=3]-[/jump]
[jump=3]-[/jump]|[jump=4]-[/jump]
[jump=4]-[/jump]|[jump=5]-[/jump]
[jump=5]-[/jump]|[jump=6]-[/jump]
[jump=6]-[/jump]|​

I have decided to ditch the generic Rotom-W / Jirachi / Gliscor core, in favor of a strong dragon type and Celebi for entry hazards. While both Pokémon are pursuit bait for Scizor and Tyranitar, Celebi hit Tyranitar hard with Leaf Storm, whereas Latios can hit Tyranitar and Scizor with Surf and Hidden Power [Fire]. The added bonus of Celebi is my coverage over bulky water types, which gave my team trouble and Stealth Rock, which allowed me to switch out Jirachi. Weather defines the B/W metagame, so Tyranitar's Sand Stream ability makes it easier for me to handle opposing weather, without hindering Volcarona and my supporting too much. Excadrill also provides the necessary rapid spin support, as well as being a good sweeping partner, making Volcarona's job to switch in and set up easier. My success with this team has been mostly positive, though I'd like to see what others have to say about it, as I think it could use some tweaking to make it more effective. This team has been my second most successful team to date. Before coming to the final team, I tried running Volcarona in sun, but I just didn't like the weather in general, and Tyranitar felt more useful than Ninetales when setting up weather and supporting my team. Thanks for view, but when rating the team, please be aware that I don't have a specific lead, and what I lead with will depend entirely on my opponent's team and what I think he'd most likely lead with.

In-Depth Look

[a]1[/a]

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly [+Spe, -SAtk]
` Crunch
` Stone Edge
` Pursuit
` Superpower
Comments & Suggestions:
For three generations, Tyranitar has found a spot on the majority of teams I have made, and in my opinion, he is one of the best Pokémon I have ever used, and an essential in a weather heavy metagame. Instead of going with the flow and using a standard mixed lead set, I wanted to have some more insurance against offensive threats such as Lucario (if they lack Bullet Punch) and Lati@s, though he isn't an ideal lead against opposing weather teams. On top of checking the usual threats, Tyranitar's main selling point is nullifying opposing weather such as Drizzle and and Drought. As this team is centered around Volcarona, Drizzle will put a damper on his sweeping capabilities, while Drought will make it harder for me to contend with Chlorophyll users. Tyranitar, in my opinions, provides the best weather support with very little drawback in terms of team members (as it doesn't change the base power of my attacks). While Sand Stream does hit Volcarona, in the long run it won't matter that much as I can just heal off the residual damage and set up.

EVs are pretty self explanatory. With Choice Scarf, I hit 364 which allows me to out-speed Lati@s, Thundurus and friends. I also needed another way of revenge killing SD Luke, which could do some serious damage to this team if Gliscor fell. Pursuit, which can potentially make Tyranitar set up bait, allows me to make sure weakened weather summoners don't come. Another bonus of Pursuit is being able to trap and kill strong psychic types such as the Lati twins and Starmie. It was easy to decide between whether to use Superpower or Earthquake, ghost types can still switch into either of those moves, but Superpower hits Ferrothorn harder and can be helpful against Air Balloon users like Heatran and Excadrill, which can otherwise switch in and set up with Flame Charge / Swords Dance. Fire Punch was something I considered, but then I realised how dumb the idea was as whatever I want to hit is already raped hard by Superpower, and Scizor isn't really much of a problem for me to handle.

---

[a]2[/a]

Latios @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid [+Spd, -Atk]
` Draco Meteor
` Recover
` Surf
` Hidden Power [Fire]
Comments & Suggestions:
While Rotom-W was able to check some threats on my team, I decided to switch him out with Latios because A. I already have a choice scarf user and the addition of Excadrill meant having two scarfers was redundant and B. Latios provides the resistances I need and has the awesome power of Draco Meteor to dent my opponent's team. Life Orb is the set of choice on my team because while Choice Specs Draco Meteor hurts, the fact that he is easy to play around was not something I wanted for this team. Life Orb grants me the firepower needed to score KOs against my power without the restriction of having to use one move that could make me set up bait. With the abundance of steel types in the metagame, I make sure my opponent's steel types are removed before I spam Draco Meteor left and right.

Timid Nature with max speed is pretty allows for optimal performance, as speed is important in this gen. Max special attack allows for Latios to hit as hard as possible with Life Orb, while the rest are dumped into HP. Draco Meteor is preferred over Dragon Pulse because without specs or Calm Mind, Dragon Pulse does not get the kills I want whereas Draco Meteor allows for that. Surf is to allow me to hit Tyranitar and bulky Heatrans, where Hidden Power [Fire] is reserved for Ferrothorn and other common steel types that switch in. As I mentioned before, Life Orb allows me to switch my moves around, so I usually use Hidden Power [Fire] or Surf whenever I know a steel type is switching in. Sometimes I use Expert Belt because of the coverage this set and it's a great way to bluff Choice Scarf. Recover rounds this set off as sand and Life Orb is taking a lot from Latios with every turn, and some form recovery extends Latios's life in battle. Psyshock is sometimes used instead of HP Fire so that I can do decent amounts of damage to Blissey, Chansey and Jellicent, but HP Fire is used more cause being able to hit steel types has more benefits (especially when I also have answers to the above mentioned).

---

[a]3[/a]

Ferrothron @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Nature: Careful [+SDef, -SAtk]
` Power Whip
` Gyro Ball
` Leech Seed
` Stealth Rock
Comments & Suggestions:

---

[a]4[/a]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 12 SpA / 224 Spe
Nature: Timid [+Spd, -Atk]
` Rapid Spin
` Scald
` Psychic
` Recover
Comments & Suggestions:

---

[a]5[/a]

Landorus @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly [+Spd, -SAtk]
` Smack Down
` Earthquake
` U-Turn
` Hidden Power [Ice]
Comments & Suggestions:

---

[a]6[/a]

Volcarona @ Leftover
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Nature: Modest [+SAtk, -Atk]
` Quiver Dance
` Bug Buzz
` Fiery Dance
` Hidden Power [Ground]
Comments & Suggestions:

---

Threat List

Tyranitar:
  • Choice Band -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Dragon Dance -

Rotom-W:
  • Choice Scarf / Specs -
  • Support -

Scizor:
  • Choice Band -
  • Swords Dance -
  • Bulky Swords Dance -

Dragonite:
  • Choice Band -
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Mixed -
  • Parashuffler -
  • Rain Abuse -

Politoed:
  • Choice Specs / Scarf -
  • 3 Attacks -

Heatran:
  • Standard -

Jirachi:
  • Substitute + Calm Mind / Wish + Calm Mind -
  • Expert Belt -
  • Choice Scarf -

Latios:
  • Life Orb / Expert Belt -
  • Choice Scarf / Specs -
  • Calm Mind -

Reuniclus:
  • Calm Mind -
  • Offensive Trick Room -

Haxorus:
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Band -
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Double Dance -

Ninetales:
  • Nasty Plot -
  • Choice Specs -
  • Special Attacker -

Conkeldurr:
  • Bulk Up -
  • Flame Orb + 3 Attacks -

Celebi:
  • Nasty Plot Sweeper -
  • Tinkerbell -
  • Choice Specs / Choice Scarf -

Terrakion:
  • Double Dance -
  • Substitute + Swords Dance -

Gyarados:
  • Offensive / Bulky Dragon Dance -
  • Choice Band / Choice Scarf -

Gengar:
  • Substitute + Disable / Pain Split -

Starmie:
  • Life Orb -
  • Rapid Spin -
  • Choice Specs -

Landorus:
  • Rock Polish / Swords Dance -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Substitute + 3 Attacks -

Infernape:
  • Mixed Attacker -
  • Nasty Plot / Swords Dance Booster -
  • Choice Band -

Volcarona:
  • Offensive Quiver Dance -
  • Bulky Quiver Dance -
  • Chesto Rest -
  • Substitute -

Magnezone:
  • Substitute -
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Specs -

Espeon:
  • Calm Mind -
  • Bulky Sun Attacker / Passer -

Salamence:
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Mixed -
  • Defensive -

Hydreigon:
  • Offensive -
  • Choice Specs / Choice Scarf -
  • Substitute -

Breloom:
  • Bulk Up -
  • Sub Seed -
  • Sub Punch -

Latias:
  • Calm Mind -
  • Offensive Tank -
  • Choice Specs -

Toxicroak:
  • Swords Dance -
  • Bulk Up -

Lucario:
  • Swords Dance -
  • Nasty Plot -

Virizion:
  • Calm Mind -
  • Swords Dance -
  • Dual Screens -

Scrafty:
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Bulk Up -

Venusaur:
  • Special Growth -
  • Mixed Growth -
  • SubSeed -

Metagross:
  • Stealth Rock -
  • Agility -

Mienshao:
  • All-Out Attacker -

Cloyster:
  • Shell Smash -
  • Utility -

Mamoswine:
  • Physical Attacker -
  • Focus Sash + Endeavor -

Darmanitan:

Tornadus:
  • Rain Abuser -
  • Choice Specs -

Abomasnow:
  • Choice Scarf -
  • SubSeed -
  • Mixed Attacker -

Alakazam:
  • Offensive Calm Mind -
  • Focus Sash -

Azelf:
  • Dual Screens -
  • Lead -
  • Nasty Plot -
  • Choice Band -

Azumarill:
  • Choice Band -

Deoxys-D:
  • Fast Spiker -

Dugtrio:
  • Focus Sash -
  • Choice Band -

Empoleon:
  • Agility -
  • Choice Specs -

Gorebyss:
  • SmashPass -
  • Shell Smash Sweeper -

Kingdra:
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Rain Dance -
  • Choice Specs -

Kyurem:
  • Choice -

Victini:
  • Choice Band / Scarf -
  • Physical Attacker -

Stoutland:
  • Choice Band -

Smeargle:
  • Baton Pass -

Sharpedo:
  • Speed Boost -

Rotom-C:
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Specs -
  • Support -

[]
Tyranitar:
  • Specially Defensive -

Rotom-W:
  • Standard -

Ferrothorn:
  • Standard -

Politoed:
  • Defensive -

Gliscor:
  • Swords Dance -
  • Substitute + Protect -
  • AcroBat -
  • Defensive -

Heatran:
  • Specially Defensive -

Jirachi:
  • Specially Defensive -

Skarmory:
  • Physically Defensive Spiker -
  • Specially Defensive Spiker -

Ninetales:
  • Specially Defensive -

Celebi:
  • Physically Defensive -

Forretress:
  • Physically Defensive Spiker -
  • Specially Defensive Spiker -

Gyarados:
  • RestTalk -

Jellicent:
  • Utility Counter -

Tentacruel:
  • Toxic Spikes -

Gastrodon:
  • Tank -

Espeon:
  • Dual Screens -
  • Baton Pass -

Blissey:
  • Support -

Vaporeon:
  • Wish Support -

Latias:
  • Support -

Bronzong:
  • Tank -
  • Dual Screens -

Swampert:
  • Defensive -

Mew:
  • Stallbreaker -

Slowbro:
  • Tank -

Quagsire:
  • Curse -
  • Specially Defensive -
  • Physically Defensive -

Cresselia:
  • Support -
  • Dual Screens -

Deoxys-D:
  • Bulky Spiker -
  • Toxic Staller -

Empoleon:
  • Specially Defensive -

Hippowdon:
  • Physical Tank -

Xatu:
  • Standard -
  • Dual Screens -

Wobbuffet:
  • Bulky -

Whimsicott:
  • Prankster -

Tangrowth:
  • Physically Defensive -

Sableye:
  • Prankster -

Porygon2:
  • Defensive -

Chansey:
  • Support -

Export to Text V2

Code:
Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SAtk / 224 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Stone Edge

Volcarona (M) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Rest
Export to Text V1

Code:
Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf 
Trait: Sand Stream
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 HP / 248 SAtk / 40 Spd
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Volcarona (M) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Rest
Conclusion

Thanks for looking at my thread and taking the time to read it. It was a pleasure making this team, as well as writing and formatting this RMT. While playing in this new generation, I still haven't found a team that fits my style more, but this team is close. Me and the team work well together, but this is probably as far as I am going to get with it right now, as I cannot think of anything I can add and tweak that would improve this team's overall performance I might make a Sun variant, but it's unlikely as I hate that weather condition. I also want to have a copy of this team floating around in the RMT forum before it becomes totally out-dated and useless. Credits to Nachos and SkyNet for looking at this thread while I was typing and formatting the thread.

I love the images here and nice show and tell! But wouldnt stealth rock be better on tyranitar and give Jirachi protect?

YOu really need a Thundurus check or counter. If they are smart and run Hammer Arm, Ttar is KO'd, they can get the rain back up and make life worse for you.

Always wondered about gastrodon, bulky waters are always fun to have around, wondering if it could really replace rotom?

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

This is a great team, and I like the formatting. I've never liked Stealth Rock on Specially Defensive Jirachi, and I've always though that Protect is far superior in that spot. The lack of Protect makes Jirachi vulnerable as many Pokemon are now able to 2HKO it where they would not be able to if Jirachi had Protect. So I'd suggest replacing SR with Protect and instead trying out a Celebi in place of Rotom-W. Whatever you mentioned that Rotom accomplishes is already done by Starmie, and while the addition of Celebi makes you weaker to Drought, the fact remains that Scarftar gets rid of Ninetales so easily that you shouldnt really be fussing about Drought at all. Celebi is still an excellent check to Rain and Thundurus, while completely destroying two of the top threats to your team: Quagsire and Gastrodon. Celebi sets up Rocks, gets reliable recovery, and an extremely powerful STAB move in Leaf Storm. The moveset I'd suggest is Leaf Storm | Stealth Rock | Recover | HP Fire/Psychic. Celebi will benefit from a bulky EV spread with enough speed for Jolly TTar, with the rest of the EVs dumped into Special Attack and a Modest nature.

Apart from that, it looks very good. Gl!

Really nice team, very good stradegy's, although... 2 choiced pokemons on the same team, isn't very good. I would suggest giving trick to Rotom-W, to trick away his scarf if you need to.

Posting to say that this team was rated during the lecture yesterday. You can find valuable information in fixing this team on the log here.

Good luck.

Just wanted to note that you mention Terrakion as a reason for Jirachi to run Body Slam over Thunder Wave but Terrakion is Rock/Fighting, not Ground/Fighting.

How well do you handle LO Deoxys-S? I noticed a set of HP Fire/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Superpower can cause a bit of problem for this team if you mispredict early on and Jirachi is weakened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)