4th Gen OU Sandstormish Team

Hi everyone, this is my first topic ever on Smogon. I haven't been playing competitive pokemon for many years now. Back, when I used to play alot on my GBA, I discovered the beautiful world of pokemon. Needless to say, I wanted to play other people, seeing no one around here had a linkcable. I found out about netbattle and made some friends who helped me building a nice team. Many years later (around 3, maybe 4) I come back, just to find out that netbattle no longer exists.

I still want to test myself, but as it seems now, I don't have the feeling that I'm ready for it. So I need your help to build a solid team, that will give me fun, even when I take a loss. I'm a real winner (I can't stand losing, lol) so please help me build a pretty strong team. I still want to have a "theme" on it, though now its a "I can take sandstorm" team, I'm sure there is something better.

I don't like cookie cutter, so if you want to suggest a pokemon, try to make it fit into my "theme". I don't own a HG/SS right now, though I might buy it eventually. At the moment I just own Platinum, so it would be easier to get pokemon from that game. Yes, I know, getting a Blissey with nice IVs and such can be hard... But hoping to get someone that wants to help me out haha

Lets start with the building of a nice team. Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help received.

My team does consist out of the following pokemon right now:

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Type: Steel / Flying
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SpD / 252 Def
-Brave Bird
-Roar
-Roost
-Spikes

First Donphan... Then Forretress... But eventually I ended up with my "friend" Skarmory. I never really liked this pokemon, but he does great in what he does. Beeing a wall.

Skarmory will be my main ph. wall, but he can also lay down Spikes. I probably want at least one layer, but two will be nicer, three will probably a bit to much. Roar to rack up the spike damage, while I can hurt fighters and Taunt users with Brave Bird.

Roost keeps me healthy, as do Leftovers. I think this set is "perfect".

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Type: Rock / Dark
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 98 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge

Tyranitar is a monster. Everyone knows that. I can drop him in the field and the Sandstorm starts. I first started with a Tyranaboah set, but I actually didn't like it as much, as back in the days of G/S/C. Many changes, but eventually he became a physical attacker.

I did lose Aqua Tail, because it would probably only hurt the likes of Gliscor, fire pokemon and rocks. Earthquake and Stone Edge will probably hurt them as much, so I figured I wanted to actually pick my move whenever I feel like. Dragon Dance should boost my speed and attack power to that of the Choice Band/Scarf after a single use. So I basically get a double effect.

Earthquake for everything that stands on the ground, Stone Edge to knock down birds or everything with Levitate. Pursuit to faint weaker enemies that want to flee.

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Type: Ground / Flying
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 218 Spe
-Earthquake
-Roost
-Taunt
-Toxic

With my "new" team, I had the feeling I had less need of Flygon. Though he would do well, I think Gliscor will probably do the same, but maybe better. At least he can take hits better.

Gliscor comes out versus electric pokemon, that will be unable to hurt him. Also fighters won't like to match up against him. Taunt is here to annoy the likes of Blissey and Skarmory. Toxic will cripple Blissey and Bulky waters that show up to deal with Gliscor. Roost will keep me alive, while Earthquake can do some massive damage. I really wanted U-Turn is here somewhere, but I guess I can do without it.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Type: Fire / Steel
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 SpA
-Earth Power
-Lava Plume
-Roar / Hidden Power: Grass / Electric / Ice ??
-Stealth Rock

Another new set, one that seems rather odd to me. I guess I need to figure out how it works, before I can benefit the most of it. Earth Power has the same purpose, even though its weaker than before, Heatran will probably do the trick with his high natural sp. attack.

Lava Plume has a nice effect and should burn annoying ph. sweeper, so there attack will be halved. Roar seems odd on this set, but I guess it can be nice when I face something I don't like. Probably cast Roar, they want to switch back, but wait, I used Roar again? This could go for like two rounds, they think I will use Roar again, but here comes Earth Power or Lava Plume.

I could try to set up the Stealth Rocks when I face something that fears me most. Actually considering a Hidden Power over Roar, your thoughts?

Rotom @ Leftovers
Type: Electric / Ghost
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 52 SpA / 206 Spe
-Discharge
-Hydro Pump
-Pain Split
-Will-o-Wisp

No more magnet for me. Everyone used to tell me to use Magnezone and now its gone, lol. Rotom really has potential I guess. I seem him doom up in like every team. His stats are rather useful and so is his element and trait. I made a slight switch from the given set.

Rotom would love to have Volt Switch, doesn't it? Discharge to create PAR, while Will-o-Wisp gives me fire. Pain Split is nice to regain some HP, I can see this beeing helpful against a Wisher or even Blissey. Toxic seems to be a bit tricky, although I really like the move.

Hydro Pump is STAB and will give a bigger hit than Surf (can it even learn Surf?). Again, I need to get used to this, but I guess I will eventually.

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
Type: Water
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 70 SpD
-Heal Bell
-Hidden Power: Grass
-Protect
-Wish

My team can't take special attacks to well. So I really needed a wall. Blissey is probably the best sponge for this.

But unfortunate for Blissey, I also have(had) a major water/fire weakness. This is where Vaporeon comes into play. She can learn Heal Bell, does have good typing, can handle some hits and has a wonderful lot of HP. All a big plus, even better, it can absorb water and use Surf to kill any fire threats.

Because I wanted it to be like Blissey, I did pump up its Special Defense. But maybe it should be his Defense? Wish to regain health, works well in combo with Protect. Can also aid other team members with it. Can take a bit of the storm, but doesn't like it, but hey! Blissey didn't like it either.

To be honest, I really forgot about Wish. I was messing it up with Softboiled, so I really believed it would heal me instantly. Good this error got pointed out. I still get the feeling I will lose out against a Bulky water, but this is more of a Heal Bell set, in case I really need it.

I have replaced my STAB move in favour of Hidden Power: Grass, this way I will be able to handle Bulky waters. Also, with HP Grass I can still handle ground pokemon. Fires will be harder, but its nothing I can't handle. I guess no one even dreams of setting up a fire pokemon versus Vaporeon, so I guess I am save.

I made a big update, or so it feels. I get the feeling my team is near completion, while it could even be. Time rush through the game and start building. Worst to get is probably a good IV breed with the right moves. I really suck at getting lucky, lol. Even though Fire Emblem on my DS likes me, doesn't mean Pokemon Platinum will.

If anyone else sees fit to point out errors or make the team act more as a team, please let me know.

Hoping to get more rate/fixing, as it is always nice to see what others think about it :)

Definetly go with HP Grass on TRan, as ur team will get wrecked against a water type with ice beam. Keep heal bell on vapor, as it will beneift ur team more than roar.

You have three fighting weaknesses and no resists, not to mention your triple Ground Weakness. Especially once Forry is out weakened or dealt with, nothing is stopping a pokemon like Agility Lucario from destroying your whole team. Infernape causes an even bigger problem, as he can easily dispose of Forretress in addition to packing a powerful Close Combat. Gliscor goes well with Sandstorm, can take anything barring Ice Punch from Lucario, and is one of the best fighting resists/ground immunities in the game. Use the Standard. Physical wall set, if you opt for him.

Although rarely seen in OU, TrickScarf Claydol also fits your team well. He is immune to Sandstorm, resists Fighting, and can easily take a Flare Blitz from Mix Ape, outspeed, and OHKO with a powerful Earthquake/Earth Power. Later, he can Trick off his Scarf to a setup pokemon/wall, take some hits, or take something out with his powerful Explosion. Here's my set:

Claydol@Choice Scarf
Bold Nature, 252HP,104 Def,152Spe
Trick
Earth Power
Ice Beam
Explosion/Signal Beam

This is kind of a mix between the standard Trick Lead and OU set. The EVs guarantee you outspeed both standard MixApe sets while maintaining maximum Physical bulk. Ice Beam handles the omnipresent Dragons and is quite a surprise, while Earth Power is your STAB. The last moveslot depends on what you want. Even with an inhibitive nature, Explosion still packs a punch, while Signal Beam beats Psychics, especially Celebii. If you want to outspeed Max Speed Infernape, use 184 Speed EVs and 72 Defense EVs.

I hope that helps!

Definetly go with HP Grass on TRan, as ur team will get wrecked against a water type with ice beam. Keep heal bell on vapor, as it will beneift ur team more than roar.
Ice Beam is lethal versus me? Actually didn't think about that, but I guess you have a point. Heal Bell stays :) I found a different pokemon to solve some of my Phaze problems.

You have three fighting weaknesses and no resists, not to mention your triple Ground Weakness. Especially once Forry is out weakened or dealt with, nothing is stopping a pokemon like Agility Lucario from destroying your whole team. Infernape causes an even bigger problem, as he can easily dispose of Forretress in addition to packing a powerful Close Combat. Gliscor goes well with Sandstorm, can take anything barring Ice Punch from Lucario, and is one of the best fighting resists/ground immunities in the game. Use the Standard. Physical wall set, if you opt for him.
I found a different ph. wall. But still thanks for pointing out my weaknesses. I tried to take care of the fightning and ground by Skarmory. Even though its not perfect, I hope he does as well as your Claydol, which was a bit to defensive for me. Gliscor sounds great, do you know a good set for him? Maybe I could come up with a Choise Band one? I really have the feeling that I am missing something like that...

Anyway, thanks for the pointers :) Hoping to receive more feedback, I believe I am getting close to a solid team.

Problems:

You have no way of beating any form of stall...Blissey can actually wall your team excluding crits. You also have spikes and SR but no spinblocker so a forry can just switch in and clear all of your hard work out. As mentioned above, you lack any defense against fighters. There are a few things you can do to fix these things: The first thing to do is replace Magnezone with Rotom. Rotom can spinblock for you and check stuff like Gyarados and bulky waters. The next thing to do is change Heatran and Vaporeon's sets. Heatran can serve as a stealth rocker and electric counter and Vaporeon needs protect to check things like Infernape, who can really threaten this team. I also think that Tyanitar isn't doing much for you. It doesn't have power or coverage with its set and is just going to be walled and revenged. With Heatran using SR you can run a more powerful set capable of beating other teams, especially with spikes support.

Changes:

- Rotom > Magnezone
- SR Heatran
- CB tar
- Protect on Vaporeon

Movesets:

Run Surf / Wish / Protect / Roar on Vappy. This lets you abuse hazards and phaze stuff for damage. You need protect badly to heal after taking damage, otherwise stuff like Infernape can overwhelm you. If you really need heal bell, run it over roar. 188 Hp / 252 Def / 68 SpDef is the better spread for lefties number and more defensive, which you need to beat Infernape. 68 SpDef lets you take some fire blasts as well.

Run Lava Plume / Earth Power / Stealth Rock / Roar on Heatran and 252 Hp / 252 SpDef / 6 SpA with a calm nature. This lets you phaze stuff for more damage and survive two specs t-bolts from Jolteon. Zapdos loses to you as well.

Rotom-w @ Leftovers
Timid, 252 Hp / 52 SpA / 216 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic / Pursuit
- Will-o-Wisp

This lets you check Gyara and defensive bulky waters. With will o wisp you can cripple offensive threats like Gyarados. You can also stop Forry and Starmie from spinning away your hazards. You are faster than Adamant Lucario, so you can outspeed and hit it with a t-bolt or cripple with Wow. You also have an excellent Skarmory switch in. Toxic can also work if you prefer it, and will let you beat Blissey with pursuit with TTar. Pain split can work for healing too. This set will help your team out alot.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant, 160 Hp / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Aqua Tail

This Tyranitar should be alot more effective than your current one. With spikes you can just start OHKOing stuff with the right move. After you toxic Blissey and she takes enough damage you can pursuit her. If you protects and tries to stay in, the toxic damage will beat her. If she switches, she will likely be KOed or not have enough health to switch back in. With spikes you can pretty much 2HKO everything. This will help you against stall and make your team more lethal.

With these changes your team looks pretty powerful, so give it a shot.

The Swords Dance set is the most powerful, but you lose some much-appreciated bulk.

Gliscor@Life Orb
Jolly/Adamant Nature, 252Att, 4Def, 252 Spe
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Stone Edge
X-Scissor/Roost/Filler

Swords Dance is obvious on a Swords Dance set, Stone Edge and Earthquake provide almost perfect coverage, and X-Scissor handles Celebii/Shaymin while Roost can heal Life Orb damage.

Good... Ish

You have a nice layout, with 4/6 of your Pokemon being immune to Sandstorm, but that means that you have a bad type matchup with Water, your only Sandstorm immune Pokemon not weak to water is Skarmory, thanks to Heatran's Fire-Typing. Maybe you could consider switching out with a secondary-typed Pokemon for a neutral battering, like Cradily or Kabutops.

You have a nice layout, with 4/6 of your Pokemon being immune to Sandstorm, but that means that you have a bad type matchup with Water, your only Sandstorm immune Pokemon not weak to water is Skarmory, thanks to Heatran's Fire-Typing. Maybe you could consider switching out with a secondary-typed Pokemon for a neutral battering, like Cradily or Kabutops.
I had an even bigger water weakness before, but with Vaporeon (Water Absorb) and Rotom(Wash) I can deal with water pokemon.

Grass seems more fierce, but with Brave Bird and Heatran I should also menace to handle those.

I used to have Flygon over Gliscor, which had better coverage, but it was also weaker defensive. I think this team is rather balanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)