Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit number one using a team full of tanks, so hyper offense isn't always the way to go. Just throwing it out there.

I hit number one using a team full of tanks, so hyper offense isn't always the way to go. Just throwing it out there.
Aaaand my hyper offensive team is top 10 and it took me like an hour and a half. Are you going to continue to argue that hyper offense isn't good?

I didn't say hyper offense isn't good. I'm saying don't discredit tanking teams when they are perfectly viable in this tier as well.

I never said they weren't viable, I just said that pretty much EVERYONE uses teams like that, which is why teams that just focus on sweeping everything in sight can thrive because basically no tank can take on a Rhyperior with +2 in attack and speed. And then when his attack goes even higher...gg.

I never said they weren't viable, I just said that pretty much EVERYONE uses teams like that, which is why teams that just focus on sweeping everything in sight can thrive because basically no tank can take on a Rhyperior with +2 in attack and speed. And then when his attack goes even higher...gg.
Haze Cofagrigus says hello and goodbye.

Something I'm finding to be very effective right now is mixed Sub Magmortar. Fire Blast hurts a ton of stuff, and Thunderbolt smashes a lot of Water-types. Focus Punch is brilliant, absolutely oscillating things like Munchlax and Clefable, opening up the way for a Yanmega sweep or a similar special sweeper.

Cryonogal is also very good. Ice Beam / HP Grass / Recover / Rapid Spin has been working out nicely for me. Ice Beam hits so much stuff that I find that Cyro doesn't even need a third coverage move (not like it really has it, lol), and I can just use Recover whenever I think I'm going to force a switch in order to remove LO and SR damage.

Cryogonal is weak to Rocks, while Chansey/Blissey isn't. And the speed stat is nothing, its like Lugia in Ubers. Its pretty fast, but everything outruns it. And trust me, Reflect doesn't save you from your crap physical defense. I have never had trouble with a Cryogonal, and my team is predominantly special.

I think its that some people have better luck using some mons than other people because they're teams are set up differently. Lets say you have a hyper offense team. Cryogonal isn't the best guy to put onto that team because it isn't a hyper offense mon. Meanwhile, on a support team or a balanced defense team with a good physical wall and spinner, Cryogonal will have better luck surviving. It's all about set up of your team.

I am very surprised to see no Carracosta or relicanth. They handle CB entei, Plus relicanth can lay up rocks and hit hard with head smash, With the right support, They're both hard to take down with a poke that can take a grass/electric move (cough amoongus) and can take take fighting and earth which they can already tank 1. But then again I am new so what would I know.

Oh my god you two shut up. This isn't helping the discussion in any shape, so if you insist on keeping up this idiotic squabble than do it in PM. Jesus.

Anyways to actually contribute to this thread I've been enjoying a 4th gen-esque Smeargle set of Stealth Rock / Spikes / Spore / Memento @ Focus Sash. It lays hazards pretty efficiently and generally takes a mon with it as well. Early game hazards are of course crucial in RU, especially Stealth Rock.

ya but you still take damage unless you send in a dark type like honchkrow and even then what are you going to do to it? Tri attack hurts and he could switch in as well. A team isn't just made up of two to three pokemon dude. He has more than just a rhyperior and p-z

It is helping the discussion actually, because I'm displaying how effective all-out offense can be.
eeeeeeeeeeeexactly, I usually have 4 or 5 mons with offensive movesets and 2 mons with defensive sets. Works like a charm. Now does anybody know how powerful feraligatr is? Cause I want to use him in ru.

Now does anybody know how powerful feraligatr is? Cause I want to use him in ru.
I saw him once or twice. He never really did much to me, but if you can get a SD or DD up, he might be able to pose a threat. (Then again, my opponent brought it out on Gastrodon, sure I take a 2-3 turns to KO, but he really can't do anything to me either)

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
A Bulky SD worked pretty well for me in the beginning of RU. Its worth using mainly for the surprise factor.

Rapid spin Sandslash vs Claydol Vs Cryonogal Vs Evolite Wartortle.

Ah screw them all, I'm using Rapid Spin Smeargle :P

Kidding a side, It doesn't look like Rapid spin will be viable until Yanmega is banned at least, Probably best just to build a team with SR neutrality, but then I can use Yanmega and Honchkrow, ah well... lol.

@ Master Win

From What I remember, feraligatr can't use Egg moves yet so you'll be limited from using move that get sheer force move. Eg - No DD, Ice Punch etc...

You're probably better off using Torrent instead I'm guessing

[SET]
Name: Sheer Force
move 1: Sword Dance / Hone Claws
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Rock Slide / Crunch / Ice Fang
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Other Options

Bulldoze can be used to leverage life orb free recoil but EQ hits harder

Hone Claws is really only there for Rock Slide and Ice Fang but Sword dance is the superior option

Dragon Claw and Return/Frustration give you better coverage but don't receive Sheer Force Boost.

Rapid spin Sandslash vs Claydol Vs Cryonogal Vs Evolite Wartortle.

Ah screw them all, I'm using Rapid Spin Smeargle :P

Kidding a side, It doesn't look like Rapid spin will be viable until Yanmega is banned at least, Probably best just to build a team with SR neutrality, but then I can use Yanmega and Honchkrow, ah well... lol.

@ Master Win

From What I remember, feraligatr can't use Egg moves yet so you'll be limited from using move that get sheer force move. Eg - No DD, Ice Punch etc...

You're probably better off using Torrent instead I'm guessing

[SET]
Name: Sheer Force
move 1: Sword Dance / Hone Claws
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Rock Slide / Crunch / Ice Fang
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Other Options

Bulldoze can be used to leverage life orb free recoil but EQ hits harder

Hone Claws is really only there for Rock Slide and Ice Fang but Sword dance is the superior option

Dragon Claw and Return/Frustration give you better coverage but don't receive Sheer Force Boost.
Sheer Force Totodile (or DW Generation II starters in general) aren't released yet. Just a nitpick.

You can use Crawdaunt until Sheer Force Feraligatr is released. Does pretty much the same thing except with more power. And has a free moveslot to use Substitute or Taunt.

Crawdaunt should use that last slot for Substitute. It appreciates status immunity as well as being able to survive some killer attacks and throw a Waterfall/Crunch back at them.

On a side note, has anybody other than me been finding that Eviolite Shelgon is a beast? It has base 100 Def, and walls many of the common physical attackers and even some special ones thanks to useful resistances to Water, Grass, Fire, and Electric. It's only weak to Dragon (almost nonexistent down here) and Ice. With some Sp. Def investment it can survive non-Specs Yanmega and Toxic stall with Wish-Protect. Last move can be used for Dragon Claw if you don't want to be Taunt bait, or Roar to phaze and spread around more status. If only he got Dragon Tail...

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey I agree with tobes, I cleaned up the bickering. Anyway I've played only a few games in RU, so I'm sure I don't know the tier as well as I know OU, but I've been loving specs Tinted Yanmega. It's a really odd dynamic though, since yanmega itself makes most spinners unusable, but mega, or at least specs, needs spin support itself.

Just something I noticed

I am very surprised to see no Carracosta or relicanth. They handle CB entei, Plus relicanth can lay up rocks and hit hard with head smash, With the right support, They're both hard to take down with a poke that can take a grass/electric move (cough amoongus) and can take take fighting and earth which they can already tank 1. But then again I am new so what would I know.
This is quite a good question. Of course they get mauled by Yanmega, but with the popularity of Entei, Carracosta should almost always get a Shell Smash in.

Are we to the point of Tanga Berry Claydol to spin against a Bug? Or even Stone Edge a Yanmega? It's not a bad bait.

This is quite a good question. Of course they get mauled by Yanmega, but with the popularity of Entei, Carracosta should almost always get a Shell Smash in.

Are we to the point of Tanga Berry Claydol to spin against a Bug? Or even Stone Edge a Yanmega? It's not a bad bait.
It's not that hard to pull a Rapid Spin off. Just because the tier is swamped with Yanmegas does not mean that it's impossible to Rapid Spin. Or better yet, build a team that does not require Rapid Spin support.

Just thought I'd share my Yanmega set, it's a little different from normal but it seems to do alright or my purposes.

Yanmega @Expert Belt
Speed Boost
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-Giga Drain
-Ancient Power/HP Rock

I decided to go with Speed Boost because, while Tinted Lens does hit harder, I was constantly getting outsped by almost everything unless I passed some sort of boost onto Yanmega. I switch into something that can't touch me to get a free boost and force it then, after that Yanmega will outspeed most of the tier and is really only threatened by priority users. While it doesn't hit for very strong NFE moves, it has decent coverage except for the odd Steel type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)