A little bit of Sunshine!

Knowing that sand and rain are really common in today's metagame, I wanted to make a sun team that is working well. I tested in on PO and i got above 1300 on the PO server, but I know that it isn't a superb accomplishment.

This is my first RMT in gen 5, but I talked on IRC with others and got enough practice in today's metagame. If there are some mistakes, please ber with me and just correct them. I'm not a pokemon master.

This team resolves around the sweep of 2 common sun abusers: Sawsbuck and Volcarona. The rest of the team helps them in achieving this. I may struggle with common defensive cores, but I usually do fairly well against them. Most of the time, the losses are because of a misplay by me, and I will become better at predicting moves.

And changes will be in red, but not if an entire slot is changed.

So let's get a little bit of Sunshine!

9-Tales (Ninetales) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SDef / 168 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

This team wouldn't be a sun team in Ninetails wasn't in it. Her ability, Drought, bestows permanent sun in the battlefield, giving her teammates some help in acquiring their goal. That alone can be reason of using Ninetails. Fire Blast in sun can hurt a lot of pokemon, even with Ninetails 81 Special Attack. HP fighting is for hurting Tyraitar, even though it won't hurt as much. It also helps me break the occasional balloon of a Heatran switching in, predicting a fire move. Will-O-Wisp spreads burn and also helps in crippling Tyranitar. I use ChestoRest to keep Ninetials alive to keep sun alive as well, as Delko suggested. Chesto Berry and Rest will heal my HP completely and get rid of the sleep immediately.

The EV spread gives Ninetails some special bulk to add into her nice base Special Defence stat of 100. This is why max HP is chosen, as her HP is only a mere 70. The Speed Ev's allow ninetails to outspeed all non-scarfed Excadrills in sun as well as outspeeding all non-scarfed Tyranitars (so they can be burned by Will-O-Wisp).

Sawsbuck (Sawsbuck-Winter) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 66 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Nature Power
- Swords Dance

Sawsbuck is one of my 2 sun sweepers. he is the physical sweeper. His ability Chrolophyll doubles his speed, making him a threat to opposing teams. Swords Dance gives Sawsbuck a sky-high Attack and with sun, he'll be at +2 Attack and +2 Speed. Horn Leech is his Grass STAB and recovers some nice HP lost to Life Orb. Return is his other STAB move and gets a 102 BP thanks to max happiness (STAB not included). Return also beats SubCM Latias and a lot of fast pokemon like Thundurus and Tornadus. I chose Nature Power over Jump Kick because Ferrothorn is taken care of by the other pokemon of the team, as 4 other teammembers have a move that is super effective on Ferrothorn. Nature Power turns into Earthquake, giving Sawsbuck the opportunity to smash Jirachi and other pokemon who resist Grass and Normal.

Max Attack is chosen to give Sawsbuck as much power as possible, as his base 100 Attack is good, but only with proper investment. The Speed Ev's are to outspeed all positive natured base 115 Speed pokemon with a +1 boost, or positive nature 90 base Speed pokemon with a +2 boost. The rest is dumped into his Hp for some survivability.

Buzz (Volcarona) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun

The second sun sweeper, the special one. Volcarona is a real dangerous threat to most teams. Flame body can get the surprise burn on pokemon. Butterfly Dance is a great move and very dangerous on pokemon like Volcarona. Boosting 3 of your best stats by one stage is ridiculous. Fiery Dance is the Fire STAB move, that also has a possibility to raise the SpA even further. Bug Buzz is the other attacking move and get's quite nice coverage with Fire. Finally, Morning Sun keeps Volcarona alive, as it heals 2/3 of his health in sun and helps to heal off Stealth Rock damage.

The Ev's are used to give Volcarona a lot of bulk to set up. Max HP is really obvious and the rest is spread between the defenses, with a majority to Special Defense. Even though Quiver Dance boosts his Special Defence, some bulk beforehand is really needed to have a chance to set up. Otherwise, it would get 2HKO'ed by some pokemon (not sure which) and now, Volcarona can set up on them.

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

Delko suggested to use Gastrodon instead of Latias, to counter rain, and it has worked pretty well so far. Gastrodon get's a Special Attack boost when hit by a Water attack. This, together with his typing and respectable Special Defense and HP, turns it into a good rain counter. Ice beam and Earth Power are for hitting foes with the +1 Special Attack. Recover is to stay alive and stall a bit and Toxic is to status the opponent and wear them down.

The EV's are for maximised Special Bulk. So Max HP is a given and with a base 111, it will give a lot of HP. Max Special Defense and a boosting nature are given as well. It's base stat of 82 needs proper investment to be succesfull. The remaning 4 Ev's are put into Special Attack.

UpSideDown (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight

This is my spinner. Without it, some on my pokemon, most noticeable Volcarona, will die quickly from entry hazards. He also functiones as a mixed wall, because of intimidate reducing the opponent's Attack. Rapid Spin is a staple on any Spinner. Close Combat 2HKO's Ferrothorn (without Protect + Leech Seed) and is one of the few spinners who can do that. Sucker Punch is for finishing off pokemon and acts as a 'strange' priority. Finally, Foresight let's me spin in front of Ghost types, as well as hitting pokemon as Spirittomb for Super Effective damage with Close Combat.

The Ev's are for a maximized Physical bulk. Max HP is really needed on a pokemon with a base HP of only 50. Max Defence and an Impish nature heightens his Physical bulk a lot. The final 4 Ev's are in Attack, as Hitmontop isn't that fast and I don't need to outspeed other Hitmontops.

Heheh (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is my 'glue' to the team, as is provides the team with some support, as well as posing a threat himself. He can defeat some of the 4x ice weaks, like Gliscor and Dragonite (after Dragonite's Multiscale is down). He is also my Stealth Rocker, and SR is needed to get some important KO's for my sweepers and he is my answer to most fire types and opposing Heatran, thanks to Air Balloon giving him a Ground immunity and Flash Fire. Fire Blast in sun, backed with Heatran's 135 base Special Attack, is really powerfull and get's STAB as well. If you then give him a Flash Fire boost, he can be almost unstoppable. Earth Power and Hidden Power [Ice] are for hitting pokemon who resist Fire Blast.

The Ev's are for giving Heatran a lot of power and speed. Max Special Attack for a lot of firepower and max Speed to outspeed and KO some pokemon. Even without EV's, 91/106/106 defenses are something to write home about and gives Heatran some bulk.

Sis (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Roost

Latias is my best answer to most rain teams and is a tiny bit of a Special wall too. this SubCm beats many other pokemon and unprepared teams will have a hard time beating her. She also fits nice in a sun team, as her best counters are Scizor and Tyranitar, and the team can handle those well. Dragon Pulse is her only attacking move and gets the best possible coverage for a single move, as it is only resisted by steel. Calm Mind boosts my Special Attack and Special Defence to ridiculus levels. Sub is to block status and other attacks and finally, Roost gives me a form of healing.

The Ev's are somewhat logical. Max HP is for more overall bulk while max Speed let's me outrun a lot of pokemon like HP Fire Latias(os) and speed tie with other positive natured 110 pokemon. The final 4 Ev's are dumped into Special Attack. Physical attackers stop this Latias, but Ninetails can spread around burn to reduce the amount of damage.

Well, this is my sun team! I hope you enjoyed readng it as much as the writing was for me and that this team will be improved to a really good team.

You're going to have some troubles with rain teams, seeing as your only real check to them is Latias, who will have trouble beating them on her own. My suggestion is to try a mixed Venusaur in place of Sawsbuck; it is still a Chlorophyll sweeper but it is more efficient at taking pressure off Latias when facing rain, and it is able to lure+surprise kill Heatran, paving the way for a Volcarona sweep.

Venusaur @ Life Orb | Mild | Chlorophyll | EVs: 44 Atk / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Sleep Powder | Giga Drain | Earthquake | Hidden Power [Fire]

The speed EVs outrun Scarf Landorus under sun. As for some smaller changes, I think Foresight > Sucker Punch on Hitmontop is worth a try; being able to get a Rapid Spin off against common OU anti-spinners like Jellicent and Gengar is invaluable when facing stall. With these changes I think your team looks extremely solid, good luck.

Hi Twannes

This is a solid sun team and I fought against it a lot.

First of all, you are a bit Rain weak, Latias is you only solid resist to Water type attacks as Sawsbuck is too frail. And in the Rain Latias has a hard time taking all those boosted attacks. For that reason I suggest Gastrodon instead of Latias. Gastrodon has no problem switching into any Water move and it walls most Rain teams altogether. It also gives you a better answer to Thunderus, Gyarados and opposing Heatran and Volcarona as well. Max HP and max SDef and a moveset of Ice Beam / Earth Power / Recover / Toxic will fit your team perfectly. Since you are using Toxic on this Gastrodon you can replace it on Hitmontop for Foresight which helps you spinning more easily.

Your team is also gonna have a tough time handling strong physical hitters like Terrakion or Conkeldurr. Not much to suggest that won't change the core of of your team though. As long as Sun is up, you're fine so perhaps you could try a Rest + Chesto Berry strategy on Nintales so he (and thus the Sun) stays around much longer. This will also give you a poke to absorb status. Rest would fit over Substitute.

You can also consider Double Edge instead of Return on Sawsbuck. The extra boost in power really comes in handy whenever you're up against the likes of Latios or Reuniclus.

That's all i got, hope this helps and good luck with the team!

Thanks for the suggestions.

@BKC, I'll see if I can use Venusaur, but I like the extra speed Sawsbuck brings to the table, but a good suggestion nonetheless.

@Delko, I might want to try out Gastrodon to see it's capabilities. I will use ChestoRest on Ninetails, as Sub won't be used very often. Also, I'm still thinking with Foresight on Hitmontop. The only spinblocker i've seen is Jelli, and I almost waly predict the switch and toxic. I will test out Foresight though.

Again, thanks for the rate guys.

And I figured that i struggle with defensive cores like Skarmbliss. I may need a wallbreaker or put jump kick on Sawsbuck.

EDIT: I used Gastrodon, foresight Hitmontop and ChestoRest Ninetails and now i'm in the top 300, above 1350 rating on the po server. Thanks for the help!

EDIT2: put Gastrodon and the changes in the 1st post.

reuniclus is one dangerous mon to face for this team to face, both cm and tr variants. cm beats you when volcarona is out, or when it has enough cms up to beat volcarona. tr reuniclus also sweeps your team as it outspeeds and outdamages every single member of your team.

no fighting resist besides volcarona bothers me, and while hitmontop has intimidate to still beat them, close combat kind of ruins that. stuff like bu conkeldurr can threaten your team a lot because of this.

cm psyshock latias can fix both of these problems. it gives you a reliable fighting resistance, and also beats reuniclus by cming up along with reuniclus and then psyshock its nonboosted stat while using youre boosted stat. you can also use roar to phaze reuniclus out once you both have cmed up, but you won't be able to hit fighting types super effectively.

good luck

edit: forgot to mention who to replace, gastrodon prob because latias still beats rain pretty well

hi twannes

Its funny because you core before was very similar to mine for my sun team( I hade a latias, heatran, gliscor ). Ok anyway its a nice team but i can see you haveing trouble with conkelldurr so i would have a gliscor instead of your hitmontop. I would use this set for the gliscor.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Nature (+Def, -SPatk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Protect
- Taunt
This set will work because it can stop the oppents poke from setting up by taunting them while you still have earthquake and ice fang for damage. You can also completley stop conkeldurrs sense there fighting stab is not going to do much and you can taunt so they cant bulk up.

Illl rate this team a 8/10 becaus I love sun teams.
I know its weird im a ice king but hope I helped. (:

I see this team having a lot of problems against a solid sandstorm team. The reason being that Tyranitar gets too many opportunities to set up Sandstorm. Although the team has many opportunities to harm Tyranitar (which is great), Excadrill still pose a big problem for the team when Sandstorm is up. I would suggest using Air Balloon on Ninetales instead of Chesto Berry and giving it Sunny Day over Rest. Sunny Day will allow you to keep Sun up when your opponent tries to send in Tyranitar or Politoed or Abomasnow and switch out after. Try it out.

The team looks good, but you may want to slap a rapid spinner in there thanks to the whole Stealth Rock vs. Volcarona issue.

OK So after I have seen all the suggestions and tested most of them, I present my (optional changes)

@Tomahawk9
I haven't tested Latios yet, will test it soon.

@Icey The King Of ice
If i drop Hitmontop, I will lose my spinner an Volcarona turns into dead weight, so I'm not going to try that out.

@Eternal
I tried sunny day and seems to work pretty well. Now i got to choose between rest and sunny day, as both have some uses. EDIT: using sunny day.

What do you mean Atoni? Anyway te team is working out just fine. If any of you have further commmends or suggestions, feel free to post them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)