Trapping Discussion

Mean Look can actually be a viable, if gimmicky, move, usefull for Toxictrapping sets which can easily eliminate choiced, Natural Cure, or really any pokemon that isn't immune to toxic and can't hurt the trapper Super Effectivly.

@Eviolite
Bold 252 HP, 252 DEF, 2 SPED
Mean Look
Toxic
Roost
Haze

Eviolite Golbat works similar to Gliscor, Both resist Fighting, Ground, and Bug, have similar defenses, and make good Physical walls since they are immune to Toxic Damage. However, they differ in a few ways, Gliscor has Poison Heal, a better moovepool, and can actually threaten to sweep. Golbat on the other hand, has more 4x resists (grass, bug, fighting), Haze, and Meanlook. So the goal here is to use Golbat in a way that keeps him from being just a UU Gliscor.

The list of things that counter Golbat are: Steel and Poison Types, Special Ice or electric moves, and very strong Physical rock attacks. After you eliminate pokemon with those, Throw out a mean look, use toxic, and roost to your hearts content. If someone tries to stat up go ahead and use haze. Standerd Machamps Ice-Punch rolls about 30%, to give you an idea of the bulk here.

what about magma storm heatran? that one deserves a look at for being able to beat blissey with explosion (it still does in gen v despite the explosion nerfs. you might have to hit him with taunt/magma storm a couple more times to KO though - too lazy to run calcs.)

The set directly copypasted from smogon

Wide Lens
~ Magma Storm
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ Dragon Pulse / Taunt / Earth Power
~ Explosion / Taunt

128 HP / 216 SpA / 164 Spe

Seems even better now that magma storm's accuracy got boosted SLIGHTLY in gen5. (despite the explosion nerf).

No one's mentioned Metagross? It's about as good as Ttar when equipped with a Choice Band, and it's also a very unorthodox option.

EDIT: @Above, Gliscor doesn't take full 150 Base Power from Excadrill's Rock Slide, so it's not that good a comparison. However it should have similar, if not better bulk vs other weaker pokemon, most notably bulky waters, so it is indeed an interesting option.

Also, Crobat in UU has a Choice Band Pursuit.

It might be worth a footnote about self-trapping, such as in the forms of Outrage or Ingrain, moreso Outrage. It's drawback is something people can take advantage of, Ferrothorn being the best example of that.

And would Wish be worth a mention? It does essentially prevent you from wasting turns doing what you went when there's a prospect of something you want weakened coming back as strong as before.

Self-trapping is sanm interesting point i think, it could be worth looking into, however I can only think of one or two pokemon (Feroothorn, SD Gliscor) that could take advantage of that for setup

Wish i dont think needs to be there, since it is your choice wether you cant to switch or not, and either way you get a benefit

CB Snorlax is a great Pursuit trapper since he can take hits from or even wall almost any specially based Psychic or Ghost type. There are just a couple he has trouble with like Latias or Reuniclus who can just recover off any pursuit damage.
Snorlax also gets Block, and Yawn.

I used to use a set like this:

Snorlax: @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
(+SpD, -Spe)
Thick Fat
0 Spe IVs

Block
Yawn
Curse
Gyro Ball

Yawn can force a switch (especially a check/counter coming in), after which case you use Block on the switch. Yawn again, and then begin to Curse up as the foe sleeps. Curse boosts Gyro Ball by slowing Snorlax down and increases Snorlax's Attack and Defense so it can take in and deal out hits better.

Gyro Ball is resisted by Steel, Water, Fire and Electric, but after a few Curses will have 150 Base Power, rivaling Return (which is resisted by Steel, Rock, and Ghost types are Immune to it). Keep in mind resistances are negated after + 2 Attack, so with Block Snorlax can safely hit foes hard.

Other Options:

Return and Last Resort can also be used, just remove Ghost types. Last Resort, I find, works great the first time this is used, due to Block and Yawn.

*Immunity can also be used to avoid Toxic [Spikes]. Still, Thick Fat is more useful against Sun teams, and foes with Fire / Ice moves.

To be honest, Id use return over Gyro ball since it wworks better against sun and rain teams (steel IIRC is NVE against fire) since that seems to be what you're trying to counter. Yawn could also be replaced with fire punch for steels or earthquake for rocks. Or you could just use rest for healing.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Wobbufaut isn't really useful in OU, I tried a WobbuWeather Team and it wasn't that successful, Dugtrio on the other hand, works, because it can be used more than once, whereas with Wobbufaut, its a one time use, and because the metagame has so many hard hitters, Faut usually only comes for the revenge kill, and something like Scizor can revenge kill much more effectively.

Tyranatar is, IMO, the best trapper, because its not focused towards trapping, it just happens to get Pursuit. Plus Crunch + Pursuit influences some serious mindgames.

Magnezone is a good trapper, trapping Fortress, Nattorei, Scizor and others, but so many other steels threaten it (Dory, Jirachi w Fire Punch, Heatran).
I disagree with you on Wob. I'm using Timid Wob on my Sun team and I'm top 15. That thing takes out weather better than anything else. I use Wob multiple times a game.

Also, I created a DW trap team that was bad ass, using CB Tar, Timid Wob, Specs Gothitelle, Scarf Zone, Hone Claws Dugtrio, and a U-turning Gliscor. I really don't care for Shandera at all, which is why I was using Gothitelle, which ended up being really good at it's job. Once Skarm/Gliscor were trapped and killed by Gliscor, I'd bring in Wob to Encore something, switch in Dugtrio and get 2 hone claws off and sweep with considerable power and a stone edge that never misses.

I disagree with you on Wob. I'm using Timid Wob on my Sun team and I'm top 15. That thing takes out weather better than anything else. I use Wob multiple times a game.

Also, I created a DW trap team that was bad ass, using CB Tar, Timid Wob, Specs Gothitelle, Scarf Zone, Hone Claws Dugtrio, and a U-turning Gliscor. I really don't care for Shandera at all, which is why I was using Gothitelle, which ended up being really good at it's job. Once Skarm/Gliscor were trapped and killed by Gliscor, I'd bring in Wob to Encore something, switch in Dugtrio and get 2 hone claws off and sweep with considerable power and a stone edge that never misses.

i agree. i use the combination of wobbuffet and dugtrio on my sun team. it gurantees a kill against any politoed and all tyranitars. (abomsnow is shit) and as an added bonus, bulky politoeds kill themselves when i switch in after they perish song. so freaking funny.

what about magma storm heatran? that one deserves a look at for being able to beat blissey with explosion (it still does in gen v despite the explosion nerfs. you might have to hit him with taunt/magma storm a couple more times to KO though - too lazy to run calcs.)

The set directly copypasted from smogon

Wide Lens
~ Magma Storm
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ Dragon Pulse / Taunt / Earth Power
~ Explosion / Taunt

128 HP / 216 SpA / 164 Spe

Seems even better now that magma storm's accuracy got boosted SLIGHTLY in gen5. (despite the explosion nerf).
Here's what I think is a much better set:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire | Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SDef / 188 Spd
- Substitute
- Torment
- Magma Storm
- Protect

Pair it with a Forretress that knows Gravity and Toxic Spikes, and, beyond the great defensive synergy and fire attack lures, you get at least one 100% accurate Magma Storm and the ability to stall even a Wish Blissey to death by the time Magma Storm has finished trapping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)