League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Judging purely from current gameplay he's not very good compared to current top ELO players. Number 1 back then is different from number 1 right now - hell, a few months ago, HotshotGG was playing a hell of a lot worse than he is now and now there's competition (Pobelter, Reginald, Chaox, Bigfatjiji in US; MoMal, Shushei, CandyPanda, Wickd in EU)

Just saying that he's out of practice and champ spotlights usually show very one-sided games.

@Synre: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/forum/general/list-of-wukong-bugs-6873
He even admitted that he's not at the top of his game, but only because he hasn't had the time to commit to playing all day like he used to, since he now works at Riot. The player he was back then is completely different than the player you see in those spotlights.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it's a shallow corporate copy of Dota and every time I hear the words "more competitive" in regards to any game I have to find and kill a kitten.

if anyone here knows how to play urgot, let me know so i can get the most out of the fat bastard while he's free to play

acid hunter spam just isn't doing it for me

HoN is much more of a straight port of the original DotA than LoL, which changes a lot of stuff. Personally I like HoN better, both are fine games though.

I think it's a shallow corporate copy of Dota and every time I hear the words "more competitive" in regards to any game I have to find and kill a kitten.
"more competitive" is likely in comparison to LoL, which punishes you less for screwing up and rewards you less for good play.

if anyone here knows how to play urgot, let me know so i can get the most out of the fat bastard while he's free to play

acid hunter spam just isn't doing it for me
urgot has, shock horror, an auto attack

after you are done raping face in lane you farm up something like manamune/brutalizer/bf sword or last whisper. itemise bveil and frozen heart/randuins and you will be beefy enough to be relevant late game (pure acid hunter spam is crap late). ult enemy burst mage (biggest threat to you) after a team fight erupts, then immediately exhaust the enemy tanky dps who will dive on you. ignore him, corrosive the ad carry, and AUTOATTACK him to apply bolt augmenter and throw in acid hunter between autoattacks. you will die for your efforts but hopefully you will put BOTH sources of enemy damage out of the fight, despite your lackluster scaling

if the enemy carry is ashe just hope you still have your shield otherwise you get kited after you can't missile lock anymore. or pray their support decides to run too

urgot's presence comes from putting a threat out of position as well as being able to zone champions out of a fight, though his problem ironically is laning - there's no lane to put him in. doesn't scale well enough for bot, mid ap burst is required in a team comp and he's not strong enough for top. situational pick for sure, I'd roll him if the enemy has an unorthodox mid with little burst (by today's standards) such as vlad, rumble, malphite, fiddles

sustain > morde > urgot > caitlyn > ap burst > ad carry > all else as far as laning goes

I'm pretty sure "competitive" isn't a synonym for "prone to snowball"
It's not quite that simple (though in my experience, LoL is "prone to snowball" too little, games that should have been over tend to linger on for longer than they should).

bam! HON has became F2P, thoughts on it? I know it's the biggest competitor to LoL and it apparently caters for the more competitive players of the MOBA scene

edit: http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=27195
It's much more similar to dota than LoL is but is much less user-friendly. I wouldn't say it caters to more competitive players, just that it's more complex and harder to master.

Personally, I think F2P HoN is a last-ditch effort to stay in the moba scene before DotA 2 comes out.

Hey, so got this game, been playing for a few days and I think I've gotten decent pretty quick. I've mostly been playing with Vladimir. One thing I'm really still kind of lost on is item builds, though. I looked up one on the internet that goes Speed Boots/Health Pot > Hextech Revolver > Sorcerer's Shoes > Rabadon's Deathcap. If I go straight for Deathcap after SShoes, I find I'm way behind everyone else until I get it, as most people seem to prefer getting a couple cheaper items in the time it takes me to get Rabadon's. Seems like a real waste of Vlad's great mid game. Lately I've just been neglecting Deathcap until late game, and going Haunting Guise or Needlessly Large Rod after SShoes.

I'm thinking maybe I just don't farm fast enough, and the build would work better if I did. I don't know. If anyone could recommend me a maybe more noob-friendly build though, that'd be cool.

It's not quite that simple (though in my experience, LoL is "prone to snowball" too little, games that should have been over tend to linger on for longer than they should).
I'd have to disagree with this, one thing I actually noted and was impressed by was how LoL doesn't make it near impossible to catch up after you start off poorly, as many similarly level-based games do.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, so got this game, been playing for a few days and I think I've gotten decent pretty quick. I've mostly been playing with Vladimir. One thing I'm really still kind of lost on is item builds, though. I looked up one on the internet that goes Speed Boots/Health Pot > Hextech Revolver > Sorcerer's Shoes > Rabadon's Deathcap. If I go straight for Deathcap after SShoes, I find I'm way behind everyone else until I get it, as most people seem to prefer getting a couple cheaper items in the time it takes me to get Rabadon's. Seems like a real waste of Vlad's great mid game. Lately I've just been neglecting Deathcap until late game, and going Haunting Guise or Needlessly Large Rod after SShoes.

I'm thinking maybe I just don't farm fast enough, and the build would work better if I did. I don't know. If anyone could recommend me a maybe more noob-friendly build though, that'd be cool.

I'd have to disagree with this, one thing I actually noted and was impressed by was how LoL doesn't make it near impossible to catch up after you start off poorly, as many similarly level-based games do.
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=1479

Reginald is one of the best AP players out there. If you want any guides on any champion, I'd recommend Solomid.net, as they have guides written by some of the best players out there.

Hey guys I tank for you that good.

Tank always good I 1v1 any carry with any tank noob carry always lose.

/endtroll

I'll gladly tank for anybody. Just send me a friend request at Leethoof.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The funny thing is that the best games are the ones that linger forever. You don't see 20 minute games at high ELO, and when a game is actually close at low ELO it is marvelous. Being close makes any multiplayer game more fun, and the only reason HoN caters to snowballing is because it caters to the same "competitive players" who did nothing but play pubs in Dota. My 10 year old brother engages in the same activity when playing games.

Fact is that when you examine a champion's kit you have to take into account whether they are strong early (Urgot), mid (Warwick), or late game (Tyndamere). If your game is unbalanced like HoN, only early game champs will be viable.

A game is as "competitive" as the highest level people playing it and right now the highest level in LoL is way outpacing HoN due to LoL getting itself tons of prize support.

Also, competitive players hate change and HoN certainly has none of that. The designers made no effort to expand upon a new genre, they even kept things that made no sense but were part of the WC3 engine. That's my biggest fear with Dota 2. I don't want it to be Dota or LoL, I want to see new improvements.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
those 15-20 minute curbstomps from dota can fuck off, but i certainly miss the viability/dominance that early-mid game gankers had. just imagine porting na/puck into this game, they'd probably be mediocre at best.

as far as the whole f2p situation goes, HoN pretty much straight up ripped LoL's model (10 or so heroes are open, the rest you have to pay for via coins bought with money or earned by playing matches), except progression is agonizingly slow; the cheapest unlockable heroes are 90 coins, but you earn something like 4-8 coins per match. Seems like S2 games is just trying to see if they can squeeze some money out of the free players before DotA2 hits and they drop it for whatever their next project is.

http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=1479

Reginald is one of the best AP players out there. If you want any guides on any champion, I'd recommend Solomid.net, as they have guides written by some of the best players out there.
I really hate Reginald for putting Spirit Visage as the second item on the first complete build in that section. Half the people at my ELO just look at that without reading the rest, rush SV, then complain about how Vlad is UP because he does no damage. ?_?

I'd like to throw in my two cents too since I do play Vlad a lot and... really don't like Reginald's build all that much.

I go amp tome + health pot -> boots 1 + hextech revolver -> boots 2 + Will of the Ancients (boots 2 meaning Mercury's Treads 90% of the time since I cannot rely on my team to draw CC at all, I use them on almost everyone) -> Rylai's -> Rabadon's -> Chain Vest + Negatron Cloak -> Abyssal Scepter/Zhonya's -> Zhonya's/Abyssal Scepter. Rarely ever get to Zhonya's, and do remember to have a blue elixir on all the time for the CDR, really helps if you get forced out of lane early or have extra gold when you go back to buy. I get Void Staff if they stack MR, I get QSS if there's any suppress, though I get that on any champ in that situation, not just Vlad. Just more important to keep in mind since Malzahar's Null Zone does a lot of damage if you're Nether Grasped on it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
So I'm really digging Leona. Which makes sense, because she's as comparable to Amumu as Lux is to Morgana.

They are both tanks with multiple stuns, a grappling hook, and area of effect damage.

Amumu is a better team fighter easily, having one of the best ultimates in the game. This alone is probably why people don't see Leona as being high tier.

Amumu is also probably the better duelist, Leona needs teammates to do real damage and besides which Amumu's dot is amazing.

However, Leona is by far a better laner. She essentially has bandage toss split into two separate moves, and the fact that it's a skill shot that passes minions is what makes her so devastating. With a partner (for her passive), her full combo goes from harass to first blood very quick.

However, Leona is by far a better laner. She essentially has bandage toss split into two separate moves, and the fact that it's a skill shot that passes minions is what makes her so devastating. With a partner (for her passive), her full combo goes from harass to first blood very quick.
Well you should be jungling Amumu so it doesn't really matter :P

Btw, anyone else read Dyrus's troll Leona guide on Solomid? So many people are taking it seriously that it's pretty funny and kinda sad at the same time.

Hey guise and what do you think about DotA2?
Personally I hope it's going to be great. I think LoL will still have a large market of F2P players but DotA 2 should be a big contender, and a few months ago I would have said that it'd knock HoN out of the competitive MOBA genre completely. But since HoN went F2P a while ago, there's no telling what's going to happen. I think it'll just be DotA 2 and LoL coexisting for a while with HoN fading away.

In a pre-Dreamhack interview with Bigfatjiji, he said that he has a dream that DotA 2 will be so good that it'll unite all the MOBA players and stop all the useless HoN vs LoL arguments, and that Bigfatjiji would be perfectly happy abandoning LoL for DotA 2 as long as Valve does a good job with it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
LoL's flavor has this charm that you don't see often enough. If it keeps that alone over DotA2 then I'll be hard pressed to fully switch. While Valve is also capable of extremely charming games, I'm not sure that's possible if they are going to recycle DotA champs, which were based on WC3 models.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)