Cover your bases! Team Overlap 1.0

Hi there, I may be new to Smogon but I'm definitely not new to battling. I usually hang out on another forum, however this time I'd like a thorough rate of my team and so my requisites bring me here.

The reason for the team name of "Overlap" is because all the pokemon in my team usually have more then one pokemon covering their back and I like covering my bases... So yeah, lol.

Anyway, without further delay, I bring my very first team rate to smogon! I hope y'all like it as much as I liked making it :P

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Volt Switch

This is by far my most used poke in 5th gen, almost all my teams carry Forre with good reason. Firstly, Sturdy, coupled with amazing bulk, allows me to always pull off a Rapid Spin (bar Spin Blockers). This is very important when playing against other stall teams to ensure that I do not die out to simple hazards. Forre works extremely well in tandem with Gastrodon and Gyarados which covers her only fire weakness. Volt Switch is a very interesting option. This is because Volt Switch allows me to keep momentum in my team, especially if I have seen a Spin Blocker and or Magnezone on the opposing team (from team preview) which is detrimental to Forre's health. Foregoing Stealth Rock is worth the extra mile of keeping Forre alive. I now use Heatran as my rocker which opens up a spot for spikes.

Synergy:
Fire; Latias, Gyarados, Gastrodon, Heatran

-----------------------------------------

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Standard CM Latias... Not much to say other then that it's a beast and can blast through a team at any given point in the match when given the chance. With it's great bulk and many resistances, the chances are always available.
Also, I realised that Latias makes a great sun counter being able to set up against most sun abusers such as Lilligant, Ninetales, Heatran etc.

Synergy:
Ice; Heatran, Forretress, Gyarados, Gastrodon
Dragon; Heatran, Forretress, Gyarados (Intimidate)
Bug; Gyarados (Intimidate), Forretress, Gliscor, Heatran
Dark; Gyarados (Intimidate), Forretress, Gliscor, Heatran
Ghost; Jirachi, Gyarados (Intimidate), Heatran

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roar
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I cannot stress to you the importance of Gyarados in this team. It plays an extremely pivotal role, as a Status-Abosrber / Phazer / Intimidater / Staller. Apart from that it's pretty standard. I chose Roar > Dragon Tail so that I can phaze poke's behind sub's too. Gyara takes an important role on my team and becomes a part of the "core" which supports the foundations of the team.

Synergy:
Electric; Latias, Gliscor, Gastrodon
Rock; Forretress, Gliscor, Gastrodon

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang
- Protect
- Earthquake

Standard Poision Heal Gliscor. I tweaked the Ev's to make it alot faster than most Gliscor's. It can still take hits like a truck and dish out respectable damage which can only be furthered by SD. Protect helps to scout/ease prediction on my end and is generally a good option to recover a free 12%.

Synergy:
Ice; Heatran, Forretress, Gyarados, Gastrodon
Water; Gyarados, Latias, Gastrodon (Storm Drain)

(Thanks Ojama)
Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

Works really well instead of Jirachi taking hits like a boss and spreading status like butter. The only thing I miss which Jirachi was useful for, is the Wish Passing. Other than that, Heatran fills his shoes perfectly with an added extra benefits. Now Volcarona is truly not a threat to this team in tandem with Gyarados which accounts for most, if not all, of Volcy's sets. Having Stealth Rock on Heatran ease's up a spot on Forretress which allows for more hazards. Toxic helps against bulky waters such as Vaporeon, Jellicent, Gastrodon, Slowbro etc... who fail to KO with their respective STAB attacks. Lava Plume is a nice addition to get the unsuspecting burns on Tyranitar and is there for general STAB. I chose LP > Flamethrower/Fire Blast because for the former I like the idea of the higher % Burn rate and for the latter I wanted extra PP (in case of stall wars). Earth Power is probably the only move I'm unsure about on the set. I usually have it for Heatran Switch-Ins and it usually works fine so far, but your suggestions on that are always welcome.

Synergy:
Water; Gastrodon, Gyarados, Latias
Ground; Latias, Gyarados, Gliscor, Forretress
Fighting; Gliscor, Gyarados, Latias

Gastrodon-Ea (Gastrodon-East) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon is quickly becoming a favourite of mine after Swampert took a hard beating this gen. EV's are standard. The moveset I like as it allows for "double status". I like being able to have the possibility of burning steels whilst being able to toxic pokemon such as Jellicent. Storm Drain is such a great ability. Any water attack directed at Gastrodon is instantly converted to +1 Sp.Atk which lets it soldier through teams thanks to it's amazing bulk. Gastrodon synergies' extremely well with the team and has earned it's place an incredible niche in the team.

Synergy:
Grass; Heatran, Forretress, Latias, Gyarados

Conclusion:
This is a really well rounded balanced team that synergies' exteremely well. It has the necessary muscle to beat teams rather then just sit back and stall. Please do not thoughtlessly say that because this is non-weather it is already at a disadvantage.

I kept it short and simple this time. Rate away ~ :)

Here is my team in code format if anyone would like to test it:
Code:
Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Volt Switch

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
- Roar
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang
- Protect
- Earthquake

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

Gastrodon-Ea (Gastrodon-East) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

For Jirachi, I suggest removing Leftovers and just slap on a Choice Scarf. If other Scarfers outspeed Jirachi, Jirachi is bait. Anyways, once Scared, remove Protect and Wish for U-Turn and Ice Punch. U-Turn for scouting, and Ice Punch to hit bulky Dragon-types like the Eon Twins, pseudos, and such. Anyways, considering how you are using Latias a little on the offensive side, I suggest just using her twin, Latios instead.

Hey there.

On Forretress, you should definitely use Spikes over Gyro Ball. Spikes would help your team greatly, allowing Latias and Gyarados to phaze for more damage. Gyro Ball isn't necessary regardless.

On Gliscor, you should use the standard 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Speed spread. The speed evs are important, allowing you to outspeed all variants of Tyranitar, standard Magnezone, and most importantly, Nasty Plot Celebi. The speed evs will definitely prove more useful than the extra bulk in the long run. It also well let you speed tie with other Gliscors and Ice Fang them; you can opt to use more speed evs in order to beat other Gliscors if you wish.

Overall, a very solid team.

Had a long post but it got deleted. In short replace gyra with slowbro to gelp against terrakoin and landorous with hp ice. Spikes>gyro ball on forry. Great team

Gastrodon is actually neutral to ice, as its a ground type.

Its a pretty solid team. I don't see any huge weaknesses that need to be solved. Gyrados just seems off here, as its job is already filled by Gliscor, I would have to support Boondockers advice for Gyrados -> Slowbro.

Agreeing with Spikes on Forretress. This team would work so much better with extra hazard support, looking at all your phazers. I'd say to replace Gyro Ball, since Volt Switch helps against Magnezone. Also try out at least 80 Speed EVs on Gliscor - you're not doing badly against other Gliscor, but being able to outspeed them without losing any noticeable bulk is useful. For Jirachi, Fire Punch or U-turn are also both usable options over Protect to deal with Magnezone, if you don't mind a slightly more offensive set.

Slowbro > Gyarados would indeed be more solid against SD / CB Terrakion and mixed Landorus. You lose a phazer, but Slowbro makes up for it with its bulk and Regenerator. The standard 252 HP / 252 Def Bold set with Scald / Psychic / Thunder Wave / Slack Off would do well. Maybe Flamethrower > Thunder Wave if you want to 2HKO Ferrothorn and hit other Steels.

Looks really solid overall, great job.

Thank you all so much for your rates! :)

I will definitely take on board all of your ideas and tell you how they work. I am liking the idea of Slowbro > Gyarados as I did realise that I had a Landorus problem which I didn't know how to solve properly.

The reason I kept Gyro Ball on Forretress was to help against threats such as Cloyster, Haxorus and Mamoswine which would otherwise harm this team. However I guess Slowbro solves this dilemma to some extent so i'll try the extra hazards too.

I'm happy with Gliscor at the moment but I guess there's no harm in trying those EV's. As for Rachi, I changed it to the scarf variant (as Milking the Tank suggested)

I'll update the thread tomorrow as I need to catch some sleep now. Thanks to all those, once again, who rated so far! :) ~

The reason to use Forretress in the first place is for its spiking capabilities first, spinning second. I would try Stealth Rock in Protect's slot on Jirachi, as usually Jirachi is bulky enough to recieve its own Wishes, and can use para-flinching to help out in a pinch. Then, I would drop Forry's SR and Gyro Ball for Spikes and Toxic Spikes. This will really improve your team's performance because it abuses hazards quite well between two phazers and impressive defensive synergy forcing switches.

A bigger change I think this team might benefit from is Jellicent over Gyarados. I don't think Slowbro is necessary, seeing as you have Gliscor to counter most of what it does. Jellicent still has similar typing to Gyara, but it is OU's premier spinblocker and a favorite on stall teams due to its ability break opposing stall quite efficiently.

Jellicent @ Leftovers | Bold | EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Scald | Toxic | Taunt | Recover

The speed EVs allow you to outrun Skarmory and other Jellicent, the latter which could be crucial in stall vs. stall matchups. One last change I think would be beneficial is Protect > Taunt on Gliscor. This will greatly increase your longevity, helping out against Excadrill and Choice Band Terrakion. It also scouts choice users like Specs Latios and racks up poison damage. Good team and good luck.

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Hey good team there but you're pretty weak to Sandstorm Team + Celebi. Your Latias is easy to trap by a Tyranitar@Pursuit, then NastyPlotCelebi destroy your team. I suggest you to try Heatran over Gyarados who isn't really good in BW. With Will O Wisp, Heatran can burn Tyranitar, then try the CalmMind Latias who is better for your team. And Heatran is pretty nice against SunnyTeam and you can run Stealth Rock on him and Spikes on Foretress

Hey Fmp, it's Clam from gts. :)

Nice team you have here. I have one suggestion for you, though. Drop Gyro Ball only for Spikes. Latias's common switchins are grounded eg. Scizor, Tyranitar, Jirachi, etc. With Roar and Spikes, you can weaken them until they can't wall Latias anymore. Toxic Spikes won't do much for Latias. Blissey gets natural cure, and is already forced out by Roar if it comes in on Latias. Gliscor also sets up on it. So, in short, place Spikes over Gyro Ball. There's not much else to change so gl. ^_^

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Well this is an excellent team, definitely use Spikes over Gyro Ball on Forretress. Normally I would support using Slowbro over Gyarados since it does most of what Gyarados does just as well or even better. However, removing Gyarados leaves you very open to Volcarona, especially Morning Sun/ChestoRest versions. So, I would suggest keeping Gyarados, since it still handles Landorus fairly well, surviving even a +1 Stone Edge. Substitute Landorus is actually easily handled by your team by using Intimidate. At -1, it isn't very threatening to Latias, Gastrodon or even Gyarados itself.

However, you are still quite open to CB Terrakion, since it 2HKOs your main defensive wall with Stone Edge. So, I would also recommend running Protect over Taunt on Gliscor. This helps a lot against Choiced mons such as Specs Latios, CB Terrakion, and Specs Rotom who can cripple your team with the appropriate move. Protect remedies this to a great extent, but its main use is gaining the extra 12% recovery which will help greatly against Terrakion, Excadrill and Conkeldurr.

Good luck!

Just stressing points that have been made which you should take head of, replace Gliscor's EVs ( 252 Hp / 176 Def / 80 Speed ) may be a slight nitpick although the extra EVs in speed make sure you can outspeed other standard Gliscor sets.

And it is vital for you to have Spikes over Gyro Ball on Forre, as your team would benefit greatly from it :)

Very nice team you have here and quite solid :D

As always, nice work. I can only think of two problems. Luckily, those 2 problems are more luck based, so you've got little problem. Also, if you play right, they won't be a problem at all. Anyway, the 2 problems are SD Landorus and DD Haxorus.

So imagine a scenario where landy comes in on rachi or gliscor. You switch out to gyara for the intimidate on the SD. After rocks, a +1 Stone Edge its a clean OH in the sand. Make sure to dance around landy if you want him dead. Gliscor is 2HKOd by miss edge, so utilize rachi. Luckily, SD landy is a rare threat.

As for DD Haxorus, he's only dangerous if gyara is sleeping. If hax dances twice, +1 Outrage is also a clean KO after rocks. That leaves like a 1/6 chance or some math thing for you to get roar while sleep talking. Hax r us is a bit more dangerous too, but I guess dancing around it with no rocks is the best solution. Gliscor is 2HKOd by Outrage. Utilize rachi again. Luckily, again, DD Hax r us is also a rare threat!

Also as a small nitpick, you want either 0 speed or 72-88+ speed on gliscor. Most gliscors nowadays run those numbers. another thing, if you haven't put forry's IV speed as 0, be sure to do that. The more damage the better.

In a nutshell:
dance around powerful attack boosting sweepers
change gliscor's speed
put forry's IV speed as 0

Great team! Absolutely amazing, keep up the good work!
Man, I make a solid team and I don't even get half as many rates. Moving on, I can't say much, though I guess you would prefer the rest Spiritomb over Jellicent. Luckily, you are not as LO mamo as you think. If you keep gyara, play around and use Gastrodon, he threatens mamo in a way. You might want a more defensive spread though, I'm not sure what the norm is, but it might help to have some defensive envestment. Cloyster as you remember gets owned by rocks + volt switch. Hax r us is Intimidate fodder. As always, great job!

Well, Firstly I'd like to give feedback on the Slowbro > Gyarados option. Whilst Slowbro did increase the bulk of my team being able to handle Terrakion and Landorus well, it opened up a whole can of worms in that my team could no longer handle Volcarona well (especially the chesto-rest variants which Ironbullet93 pointed out). Therefore I switched back to Gyarados after realising that weakness.

Secondly, I'd like to thank Ojama for recommending Heatran. Heatran plays a similar role to what Rachi used to do in that it used to come in on Draco Meteor's coming from the Lati-twins. Adding Heatran gave me the option to run Rocks on something other than Forretress. So now I implemented the idea to add Spikes to Forretress, which now works as a charm :).

Finally, the idea of adding Protect > Taunt on Gliscor is a really nice idea and works really well with scouting moves and choiced poke's (also ease's prediction on whether to bring Heatran in or not seeing as Latios' like to come in on Gliscor alot).

All in all, thanks alot for all your suggestions they really seem to be working well :). More rates are always welcome.

Changes to my team are in Bold

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)