Cripple and overpower, OU rmt

So I re-download Pokemon online and have just got back into competitive battleing. I decided to try and go for some more unorthodox pokemon, plus some that have served me well before.

Here is how I built it up.

What can I say, I love this big lug. Fantastic attack, HP and a good recovery move made him a first pick for me team.

My second pokemon was one that I wanted to break down anything slower with. Haxorus's raw power made him my second choice.

Quagsire was my second pick. I dont like the idea of people setting up on my and then sweeping me with no chance for me to stop them. The lack of weakness's also makes him easy to support on a team.

A nice fighting resist was next on what I wanted. None of my pokemon so far totally stop fighting types, niether did I have a pokemon with taunt, which I have found to be a priceless move.

Next I wanted a stealth rock user. Infernape can do that and wreck havoc being a mixed sweeper. He also resists grass types, which helps quagsire.

My final pokemon seems like an odd choice, but it is a very helpful pokemon. I noticed with building my team that dragon types were a major problem, while trying to think of a surefire counter to all of them I thought, why not just thunder wave them and get Hazorus to kill them? Zebstrika is a bit of an iffy memeber of my team and may go if I find something better though.

So here is the team in detail. The aim is to soften my opponent up with my setup sweepers and stealth rock and then sweep with Haxorus. Anything remaining can be picked off by Zebstrikas blistering speed or a priority move.

Infernape: Life orb
Hasty 252 Spd, 252Atk 4SpAtk
Stealth rock
Overheat
Close combat
Mach punch

My lead. Infernapes No1 aim is to get the rocks up. Unless I spot a massive weakness to him in my opponents team. He does hurt alot of populor pokemon though, and he does make the opponent wary of leading with tyranitar. He is also my grass type counter (a nesecity with quagsire on my team), although Haxorus can com in on non ferrothorn grass types and scare them off as well.

I had to give him mach punch as he was very often being outrun by weakened scarfed pokemon.

Conkeldurr: Leftovers
Brave 120HP 252Atk 136SpDef Guts
Drain Punch
Mach punch
Payback
Bulk up

Servive and break stuff. Thats really all he is built to do, but boy does he do it well. Conkeldurr is a massive pain to stop, especially after a bulk up or two. Conkeldurr hurts alot of pokemon, espcially late game, when his mach punch can turn a loseing situation into a victory. Payback was my choice as I dislike stone edges poor accuracy and the double in power is very often in effect with Conkeldurrs low speed.

Haxorus: Choice band
Adamant 36HP 252Atk 220Spd Mold breaker
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon claw
Brick break

POWER! My big offensive threat. Any wall giving my team trouble is dealt with brutally by this guy. Normally dragons would be a problem for him, but with Zebstrika (and banned garchomp) all dragons apart from flygon can be crippled and eliminated. Dragon claw is merely an alternative to outrage if I dont want to be stuck for several turns. There really isnt a huge amount to say as Haxorus is really just about killing stuff.

Quagsire: Leftovers
Careful 252HP 252SpDef 4Def Unaware
Earthquake
Waterfall
Curse
Recover

My anti setup sweeper, and setup sweeper at the same time. Quag finds lots of oppertunities to start setting up curse, as any other setup sweeper that stays in is fighting a loseing battle. Quagsire was added also to add a fire resistance and is a massive heatran counter (that dosent have HP Grass). High special defense is something my team lacks, and is a great help here.

Gliscor: Toxic orb
Impish 252HP 184Def 72Spd Poison heal
Earthquake
Taunt
Ice fang
Swords dance

Problem fighting types? The massive defenses of gliscor are a great help to me. He can stop walls from doing, well anything thanks to taunt, and then setting up in thier face with swords dance. Ice fang is here to help with other gliscor and dragon types that lack draco meteor. Special attackers are an issue, but Quagsire helps nulifiy that, and even conkeldurr to an extent. Gliscor also helps my team absorb status.

Zebstrika: Life orb
Naive 252Spd 160Atk 96SpAtk Lightningrod
Overheat
Volt switch
Thunder wave
Double kick

Now, onto my final pokemon. Zebstrika is mainly here as a supporting/attacking pokemon. Useing its moves to weaken and subdue alot of pokemon. Some pokemon though it can counter very effectively. Its overheat OHKOs all variants of ferrothorn outside of the rain 100% of the time. It can 2HKO thundurus after a lightningrod boost, or can cripple it with thunderwave. It can 2HKO defensive variants of Tyranitar with double kick and OHKO some offensive ones. OHKO Excadrill (with either move) and Scizor as well with overheat. Any weakened steel types have little chance against overheat either, and few scarfless pokemon can outrun the Zebra. Volt switch is to keep switching and doing damage.

So there it is. I think there may be quite a few holes in my team it and I am sure some people will post instantly for me to take Zebstrika off. But I am open to critisium and help in making this team better.

I will make a post of a proper threat list when I can.

You have a weakness to DD Gyarados. If Zebstrika is dead, you're going to have problems. Even if he is still in play, a +1 Gyarados could check it if I recall correctly. So I think you should change him to Rotom-Wash.

Zebstrika really isn't doing anything in the higher tiers. You're better off replacing it entirely, especially since there are better electric types in the current metagame that would do the job just fine and if not a lot better. Rotom-W is the best choice here since it does the same thing Zebstrika does in your team, but can cripple things with burn and trick if you are able to predict switches at the very least. Here's the set:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf l Modest Nature l 112 HP / 252 SpAtk / 144 Spe
Moves: Will-O-Wisp l Trick l Volt Switch l Hydro Pump

I chose Volt Switch over Thunderbolt because it helps you retain your offensive momentum throughout the match. A spread of 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe with a Timid nature can be used, although you lose some bulk and this Rotom-W's purpose IS to scout switch ins, trick the scarf to something that gets horribly crippled by it and spread burns around.

Secondly, since your team lacks a reliable counter to the Lati@s, you might want to consider Choice Banded Scizor over Quagsire, as it gives you a reliable way to check Lati@s and Trick Room Reuniclus, as well as maintaining offensive momentum. You might be thinking that you're vulnerable to Thundurus now, but that's when you don't trick the scarf with Rotom-W. Instead, keep it around until Thundurus is either crippled or dead. Getting it in on Thundurus is tricky though, as some Thundurus run a Thunder Wave + 3 Attacks set which can severely cripple Rotom-W in the switch in, so you're better off saccing something before switching it in. Here's the Scizor set by the way:

Scizor @ Choice Band l Adamant Nature l 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpDef
Moves: U-turn l Bullet Punch l Superpower l Pursuit

Overall, pretty nice offensive team. Good luck!

Ok, thankyou for the help, and the kind words =).

I knew the zebra would be the first to go. He works best when the opponent has no clue about him. Example being that I have caught many steel types off guard with overheat. Same with quagsire too. I get into a stat boosting war then inform the unfortunate opponent about his ability =p.

But that would only get me so far. I shall add scizor and Rotom and see how they do.

Bowl Cut, I don't think that Rotom is bulky enough. I think he should use this set instead:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SAtk / 92 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Pain Split

You also added he should use a Choice Scarf but with this set he is able to take damage and act like a wall, which his team lacks. Well, it's up to you, tyranitar.armaldo.

Have you ever considered replacing Infernape with a specially defensive Heatran? This change will make Sun teams a hell of a lot easier for you to face by giving your team an immunity to those boosted, STAB attacks coming from Volcarona and Darmanitan (neither of each anything on your team would enjoy taking) while also completely walling variants of Venusaur that are lacking EQ. The moth is especially problematic because once your team is weakened then it can sweep your unhindered after a single turn of set-up. Heatran can take anything it wants to throw your way outside of the less common HP [Ground] seen on the offensive set and defeat it using the combination of Toxic and Stealth Rock. This is just a pretty basic suggestion but hey, it works! Anyways, good team and good luck.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic

Why is it that when I get swept by a pokemon, that I go on here and see that someones posted how to get past it? lol

Changing infernape for heatran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)