Gen V Victors! Begin!

Hey Smogon! Its Stabmaster here- I’m posting my first ever rmt. Now not only am I new to smogon, but I am also new to competitive battling, so bear with me. About a year ago I learned all the tricks to pokemon that other casual players seem to miss- EV's, IV's, Natures, ect. Now with the next generation, I decided to go in head first, so with out further adieu, here is my team.

Team Building Process:

I have always loved sandstorm teams- it has always been my favorite form of weather. That being said, what better way to start off a team than with a pseudo legendary dinosaur from hell? Tyranitar is a must on almost all of my teams.

This thing is amazing because of the sheer unpredictability that it packs. I run a special defensive hax set, which tends to throw people off when they get slammed with iron head and body slam to paraflinch to death. It also helps me deal with common threats in the current metagame.

Genosect is great because he can really hit hard and has great coverage. He get the boost from download and can then start killing

Rotom pairs up with genesect to form a deadly scouting team- always making the opponent switch in and out and rack up stealth rock damage- plus I can make the triple or double switch into a good counter for whatever I am up against.

The mole from hell sent to disrupt the entire gen v metagame. This thing wrecks. Nuff said.

Heatran is almost necessary; you would have to be blind not to notice this teams blaring fire weakness and heatran remedies just that.

Team in Depth:

Tyranitar(F):
Ability: sand stream
Nature: Sassy
Item: Leftovers
EV’s: 252 Hp,180 Special Attack, 76 Special Defense
Fire Blast
Stealth rock
Ice Beam
Pursuit

Tyranitar is a great lead- he manages to get stealth rocks set up and is also able to trap the latios/latias twins and any other psychic types that give me trouble! This thing is my tankish lead and rarely lets me down, plus his ability is absolutely necessary for this team to function. He also can take special hits very well and takes care of opposing ferrethorn leads.

Jirachi:
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Careful
EV’s: 252 hp, 216 special defense, 40 speed
Iron Head
Body Slam
Wish
Protect

This set functions as a wish passer and annoyer. It works very well, and has made many players rage quit on me before. Some of my team is pretty slow, so paralysis can really help my team out-speed certain threats- And it can also stop opposing sweepers cold.

Genosect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Nature: Naive
EVs: 160atk/164Satk/184spd
-Flamethrower/Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-U-Turn

Kills Latis if T-Tar is dead, great scout. His ability download is great for getting extra power before killing, and is able to uturn out to other teammates. The EV spread, recommended to me by porii sames, gives him just enough power to be deadly even with uturn(from the download boost)

Rotom-W:
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EV’s: 252 special attack, 252 speed, 4 hp
Hydro pump
Volt Switch
Willow Wisp
Pain Split

This set pairs up with genesect to form a scouting duo that can be a real headache for other teams. Pain split can give Bissey or Chansey a hard time- and is a way for him to regain health and maybe even turn the tide of the battle. It also is a good Excadrill/any physical sweeper counter, becuase everyone knows neither of those like to be burned.

Excadrill(F):
Ability: sand rush
Nature: Jolly
Item: Life orb
EV’s: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4hp
Swords dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-Scissor

This set is effective. It is as simple as that. With a 604 speed in sandstorm, it laughs at most choice scarf users. Not much else to say, except it has good synergy with the rest of the team.

Heatran(F):
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
Item: Air Balloon
EV’s: 252 spa, 4 spd. 252 spe
fire blast
earth power
hidden power grass/ice
Dragon Pulse

Heatran is here to cover my teams fire weakness and to dish out some power-full special attacks along with great coverage.

Final Notes:
As you can see this team is heavy on steel types, which is not a bad thing. Its kind of a weird mix; the team is mostly an offensive team but the pokemons' typing in it provide a plethora of resistances and immunities. Most notably, the a vast majority of the team is immune to toxic spikes and poison for that matter- so good prediction can provide safe switches in and out. Another thing this team provides is a resistance to stealth rock- something that is always appreciated. Another option is to put rapid spin on Excadrill if you want to, but besides that entry hazards dont bother this team much. A threat commonly seen in today's metagame is choice banded rivalry haxorus, and with 3 of the pokes not having gender and the other 3 being female, haxy wont always receive the boost hes looking for. So, this is my offense/defense steel team!

One Last Look:

Flygon @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4hp/252atk/252spd
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-U-Turn
-Fire Punch

Scouts, and revenge kills Latis and CS Chandelure if T-Tar is dead. Great STABs etc.

Genosect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4atk/252Satk/252spd
-Flamethrower/Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-U-Turn

Kills Latis if T-Tar is dead, great scout.

If you have a couple of resistances to fire (which you do), I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it.

On Genesect, don't run that spread. Run Naive, 160 Atk/164 SpA/184 Spe. This gives U-turn a huge boost, and you have enough speed to outspeed positive scarfed Base 90's.

also i mentioned wish passing as a means of healing some of my injured team-mates- would replacing rotom w with vaporeon be a good idea? or latias, because now that garchomp is gone I could use another dragon- and she could function as a good special defense wall too.

this how to add pictures. search google or whatever you use to find pictures. Right click on it and click copy image url.(not copy image). Then click on the add picture icon above where you type your post. It is the yellow one with the mountains. Then paste the url and hit ok. it will show up as a url until you hit post. This should make the picture appear where you pasted it.

Hey Smogon! Its Stabmaster here- I’m posting my first ever rmt. Now not only am I new to smogon, but I am also new to competitive battling, so bear with me. About a year ago I learned all the tricks to pokemon that other casual players seem to miss- EV's, IV's, Natures, ect. Now with the next generation, I decided to go in head first, so with out further adieu, here is my team.

Team Building Process:

I have always loved sandstorm teams- it has always been my favorite form of weather. That being said, what better way to start off a team than with a pseudo legendary dinosaur from hell? Tyranitar is a must on almost all of my teams.

This thing is amazing because of the sheer unpredictability that it packs. I run a scarf set, and since the special defense hax set is so common, it tends to throw people off when they get slammed with iron head and flinch to death. It also helps me deal with common threats in the current metagame.

Genosect is great because he can really hit hard and has great coverage. He get the boost from download and can then start killing

Rotom pairs up with scizor to form a deadly scouting team- always making the opponent switch in and out and rack up stealth rock damage- plus I can make the triple or double switch into a good counter for whatever I am up against.

The mole from hell sent to disrupt the entire gen v metagame. This thing wrecks. Nuff said.

The king of gen 4 makes a return with just as much power as ever. Scizor will almost always be a powerhouse on most of my teams, and adds a great synergy to the team.

Team in Depth:

Tyranitar:
Ability: sand stream
Nature: impish/sassy
EV’s: 152 hp, 124 attack, 132 defense, 100 special defense/
252 hp, 180 sp. atk, 76 sp. def
Thunder wave/ice beam/superpower
Stealth rock
Stone edge/fire blast
Crunch

Tyranitar is a great lead- he manages to get stealth rocks set up and then paralyzes opposing Pokémon- all while being able to take hits like a champ! This thing is my tankish lead and rarely lets me down, plus his ability is absolutely necessary for this team to function.
Try the set i posted. Its much better in the lead position&has amazing coverage

Jirachi:
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: AdamantJOLLY
Item: Choice Scarf
EV’s: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 special defense
Iron Head
Ice Punch
Fire punch
Thunder PunchU-turn

This set functions as a revenge killer and complete pain to all who face it. If Tyranitar paralyzed a sweeper, bam. Flinch hax. If a dragon is giving my team a problem, ice punch. Ferrethorn? Fire punch. He is my answer to lots of problems. But I do miss having wish to heal my team, so I might switch it.
I would run a sp.defensive rachi in place of this.. but lol, if you insist

Genosect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 160atk/164Satk/184spd
-Flamethrower/Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-U-Turn

Kills Latis if T-Tar is dead, great scout. His ability download is great for getting extra power before killing, and is able to uturn out to other teammates.
good. This is your revenge killer.

Rotom-W:
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EV’s: 252 special attack, 252 speed, 4 hp/112 hp, 144 spe, 252 sp. atk
Hydro pump
Volt Switch/Will o wisp
Thunderbolt
Pain Split

This set pairs up with Scizor to form a scouting duo that can be a real headache for other teams. Pain split can give Bissey or Chansey a hard time- and is a way for him to regain health and maybe even turn the tide of the battle.
use the posted eves&will o wisp or make it choice scarf

Excadrill:
Ability: sand rush
Item: Life orb
EV’s: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4hp
Swords dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-Scissor

This set is effective. It is as simple as that. It also can draw out ghost types who are expecting a rapid spin who then get hit in the face with a super effective X-Scissor. Not much else to say, except it has good synergy with the rest of the team.
Good. Try return over x-scissor for a try.

Scizor:
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Item: Choice Band
EV’s: 252 attack, 248 hp, 8 speed
U-turn
Brick Break/superpower
Pursuit
Bullet punch

From revenge killer to scout, this thing is a beast. He has always been a favorite of mine, and I like to put him on my teams. He and Rotom form a great scouting pair, and can make the enemy team rack up S.R damage.
good

Considered Changes:
I miss having a wish passer on my team- I might either
a. Change Jirachi’s set to a standard special defense setYES!
b. Switch rotom w to a wish passing vaporeonErm...
c. Switch Rotom w to a wish passing latiasMaybye

EV’s on any of the pokes
And any ideas you all might have!

PS: speaking of being new to smogon, I do not know how to add the pictures to the rmt. If someone could help me out there that would be great.
Changes in bold lol

With my loss of garchomp due to him being uber and addition of genesect, I think I will change Jirachi into Haxrachi(standered Special Defense Set). And can someone tell me why garchomp, one of my favorite pokes ever is uber?!

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Hi, stabmaster

Your team looks very good, except you have a pretty large fire weakness. 2 of your pokemon take x2, and 2 take x4. May I suggest a Heatran set, perhaps the following?

You seem to like offensive teams, so may I suggest an Offensive Heatran?

Heatran:
fire blast
earth power
hidden power grass/ice
Dragon Pulse

Hi, stabmaster

Your team looks very good, except you have a pretty large fire weakness. 2 of your pokemon take x2, and 2 take x4. May I suggest a Heatran set, perhaps the following?

You seem to like offensive teams, so may I suggest an Offensive Heatran?

Heatran:
fire blast
earth power
hidden power grass/ice
Dragon Pulse
Hi Lady Salamence- I was thinking about adding Heatran and luring fire moves from any of my steel types. Right now my only real defense to them is to switch to rotom w to absorb the hit for a NVE hit. I could make the change to a special attack and special defense T-tar to better absorb fire moves, but if I do add Heatran, who do you recomend i switch him in for? And if you havnt read above, you will see Im fairly new to competitive pokemon- will Heatran's balloon pop if he is hit by a fire attack? Or does Flash Fire preserve his balloon? And thanks Everyone for your advice- this is my first team and I appreciate all of your help.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
It seems Scizor's spot on the team is covered by other Pokemon, as seen from your comments. May I suggest Scizor?

It seems Scizor's spot on the team is covered by other Pokemon, as seen from your comments. May I suggest Scizor?
Im sad to say this, but your right. Scizor's typing and function does seem a little redundant- his only major boon at this point is priority in bullet punch. Im making the switch now.

Ghost types resist X-Scissor. I don't understand how Excadrill specifically counters them, but most won't like its powerful attacks.

Ghost types resist X-Scissor. I don't understand how Excadrill specifically counters them, but most won't like its powerful attacks.
Sorry- I dont know what I was thinking when I posted that. Thanks for pointing it out- il fix it right now.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4hp/252atk/252spd
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-U-Turn
-Fire Punch

Scouts, and revenge kills Latis and CS Chandelure if T-Tar is dead. Great STABs etc.

Genosect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4atk/252Satk/252spd
-Flamethrower/Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-U-Turn

Kills Latis if T-Tar is dead, great scout.
In the end I decided to use genesect, but I didnt know that flygon got the ability sand veil- is that his dream world ability?

Just saying, you seem to have an incredibly large ground weakness, and if Rotom is gone, Landorus can probably beat the whole team. For this reason, I'd recommend changing your Genesect to your own Landorus running this set
Landorus@choice scarf
Naive
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-turn
-Hidden Power Ice
252 spe/252 att/4 spA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)