np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it's not that hard to lure in Skarmory with something like SD Scizor and take it out. I've even used expert belt jirachi to some success in taking it out and weakening gliscor for something like Excadrill. You don't need Magnezone to take it on and come out on top to sweep with dragonite.

Actually, it's not that hard to lure in Skarmory with something like SD Scizor and take it out. I've even used expert belt jirachi to some success in taking it out and weakening gliscor for something like Excadrill. You don't need Magnezone to take it on and come out on top to sweep with dragonite.
If you use Dragonite in Rain there shouldn't be the need to lure Skarmory.

Just saw a sub Volcarona. Has anyone used this? It has to be paired with espeon or Forretress (or both) but it was pretty powerful.

LO Mamo icicle drop/spear is an OHKO on Fagonite as well.
XD

I just looked at the calcs, and only an impish 252 hp/252 def dnite can hope to live through icicle crash EVEN with multiscale. Otherwise, you can OHKO even through multiscale. Using an adamant 252 attack mamo LO of course.

:) and then he has that powerful EQ as well..

I love how lots of people seem to think that Rotom-W can switch in on Mamoswine, only to get 2HKOed by Stone Edge. I HATE how common Volcorona is now. It just demolishes most of the teams I make -_-

whats a good volcarona check? heatran IMO is a set up fodder, jellicent without taunt is too, and to an extent taunt jellicent can be hit by flame dance which raises sp.attack. i have been using gyara as a counter, but flamebody burn hates me.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
whats a good volcarona check? heatran IMO is a set up fodder, jellicent without taunt is too, and to an extent taunt jellicent can be hit by flame dance which raises sp.attack. i have been using gyara as a counter, but flamebody burn hates me.
special defensive heatran with roar. stealth rock support is recommended

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I use Stone-Edge on Gyarados to prevent Flame Body and have a much better chance of one-shotting even the bulkiest Volcarona. It has other utility, too, such as hitting Rotom-W hard, a decent answer to most Water Types not named Gastrodon / Empoleon, and just a good coverage move in general.

Choice Scarf Terrakion is a solid check to Volcarona imo - I have never tried it, but I have thought of using one for this primary purpose

A gimmicky Scarfed Hydreigon with Head Smash would work. But if you want a more reliable check, use Azumarill provided that it is not raining sunny.

Derp, I meant sun.
Azumarill isn't really a good counter because when using 252 hp 252 defense bold chesto rest (which I used with great success) azumarill 3hkoed with aqua jet (might 2hko) and what was worse was that flame body activated on the first turn so it turned into a set up fodder since aqua jet 5hkoed

Gyara is a pretty good one, although you could try a Dragonite. It can heal up with Roost, and hit Volcarona pretty hard. As another option, you could use a defensive rest talk Gyarados, as it has Roar and Waterfall, making it very easily to defeat Volcarona. Rest also gets rid of Flame Body hax, so that would probably be the best counter for Volcarona.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gyarados as a sole counter may be a little risky thanks to having no reliable recovery outside of Rest-Talk, which gets shittier each gen, SR weakness, and the exploitable quad electric weakness. I'd probably double up on Volcarona counter if you're using Gyarados, unless your team does not have any particular problem with Volcarona.

A gimmicky Scarfed Hydreigon with Head Smash would work. But if you want a more reliable check, use Azumarill provided that it is not raining sunny.
Scarf Hydreigon wouldnt be a good counter because he is outsped after 1 or 2 quiver dances depending on ev spread and most likely ohkoed by bug buzz.

Volcarona is one of the things that destroy teams that aren't prepared for it but gets completely walled or stopped if they have something like Toxic tran or scarf Landorus / Terrakion. Also it needs a spinner, most of which aren't really useful otherwise. I haven't been able to build a good team with Volcarona either because it's annoying to waste a spot on something like Hitmontop and still check 4+ different playstyles that run rampant.

Hitmontop is still useful against things like Excadrill, Terrakion and such
Or you can use your own Excadrill, Tentacruel, or just pass a Wish to it
Even without a spinner Volcarona is not easy to take down seeing as how little things can outspeed it after a QB. Try using Wish from Jirachi or something, that will keep Volcarona at full health even after SR damage

Yea Excadrill is probably the best choice for a spinner though setting up toxic spikes from tenta sounds cool for letting Volca stall out Jellicent and other random things that seem to take a +1 attack and survive with like 2%. Sub is actually really awesome on Volca because it can't be revenged by Excadrill in the sand or Azumarill.

Trying out Haxorus. He's pretty amazing actually. Although the scarf set is great, I think the DD set has more merit. Hax can actually tank a hit thanks to elemental resistance, and get a DD off, then he's scary. Also, having freedom to choose moves is better than being overpredicted and EQing a flying type -_-. The results show. Either I'm having a nice streak tonight, or it's haxorus, because my rating just jumped up 100 points from winning battles. He's an amazing sweeper lategame, because after exhausting my party to deal with all the steels (VERY easy thanks to chandy), seeing a healthy haxorus is just terrifying. Plans turn into "kill those two steels of his and murder him with haxorus" :D

He needs more love

edit: Scizor is bane of existance with that Bullet punch. And watch out for mach punchers while at low health.

Pocket

Did you play this in Dream World? Cuz no player would keep a Steel Type against a Chandelure.

The great thing about CB Haxorus vs CScarf Haxorus is that it really doesn't need to EQ, since Outrage has a good chance at scoring 2HKOs on Steels. I can see how DDHaxorus can be effective, since DD is a very dangerous move in general. It is also surprisingly bulky on the defensive side.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Any one been seeing Eo tearing up the ladder with a SD Cacturne SS team. Its quite terrifying. Watched him go from like 1100 to Top Ten in no time at all. Who woulda thought Cacturne would be so effective. He's running a Sub/SD/Drain Punch/Sucker Punch with Leftovers with presumably Max Atk and Max Spe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)