Bloated? Need Tums? [Qwilfish Dicussion]

http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/211.shtml

Classification:
Balloon Pokemon
Type One: Water
Type Two: Poison
Ability One: Swift Swim [When Rain Dance is in effect, Qwilfish's SPEED is doubled.]
Ability Two: Poison Point [When Pokemon make contact with Qwilfish, there is a 30% chance of them becoming poisoned.]

Base Stats

HP: 65
Attack: 95
Defense: 75
Special Attack: 55
Special Defense: 55
Speed: 85

Notable Physical Movepool

Rollout
Revenge
Aqua Tail
Poison Jab
Frustration / Return
Facade
Secret Power
Explosion
Payback
Gyro Ball
Waterfall
Flail

These are you best bet for attacking moves, his Special Attack is very mediocre. Aqua Tail and Poison Jab, as well as Waterfall are nice STAB moves. Facade is cool coming in against a Flame Orb poke or something. Explosion is really nice on a supporter, great move.

Notable Special Movepool

Brine
Hydro Pump
Water Pulse
Hidden Power
Blizzard
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Shock Wave
Sludge Bomb
Surf
Signal Beam

Definitely not bad, but it's pretty worthless with his horrid SAtk.

Notable Support Movepool

Spikes
Minimize
Toxic Spikes
Destiny Bond
Toxic
Hail
Taunt
Protect
Rain Dance
Rest
Attract
Endure
Thunder Wave
Captivate
Sleep Talk
Swagger
Substitute
Haze
Supersonic

Yes, very nice. Endure is awesome I think on a surprising End-Flail/Reversal-er, Haze is great, Destiny Bond is always pretty cool. ResTalk is nice, Spikes AND Toxic Spikes is great for a supporter, Thunder Wave is cool too. Subs too! Great support. :]

Possible Movesets

Qwilfish @ Leftovers (F)
Trait: Swift Swim
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, - SAtk)
EV's: 202 HP (?), 252 Atk, 56 Spd (?)

- Rain Dance
- Waterfall / Aqua Tail
- Poison Jab
- Payback / Explosion

Physical sweeper. Rain Dance for x2 speed boost, making it really fast. Waterfall or Aqua Tail for STAB, Poison Jab too. Payback would be nice if you come across a Deoxys in Uber or OU play, and Explosion would be huge on this thing.

I have more, I'll post later! Discuss this monster. I think I'll use it in OU this gen.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mostly I predict the Advance standards to be used. There isn't much new that seems interesting - even on the Swords Dancer I'd stick to Hydro Pump over Waterfall, because it's better against walls.

Quilfish can do a lot of things, and thanks to Footnote, I realized that there's more to its movepool that meets the eye. Of course, I did promise him that I wouldn't reveal his surprise set for it, but it literally requires a sacrifice to take Quilfish down.

In Advance I just used this on Qwilfish.

Qwilfish@Salac Berry
-Flail
-Endure
-Destiny Bond
-Spikes

At the most I suppose you can replace Flail for Waterfall now.

He can pull off a similar idea I had for Froslass. Spikes/Destiny Bond/Thunder Wave/Water or Ice move.

You need to get in on something that will switch for it to work. Destiny Bond first, so they'll have to either die, set up or switch again. If they try to set up, paralyze them. If they switch, Spike or Destiny Bond again. Hopefully you'll get a few layers of Spikes up paralyze a few things. Water or Ice move for Ground types, since they're immune to Thunder Wave. Requires a lot of prediction to work, but at the very least you should kill something with Destiny Bond. Works even better with Rain support.

its always been medicore but at least it learns Explosion and has decent speed.

-Spikes
-Explosion/Swords Dance
-Poison Stab
-Hydropump/Water Fall

layer of spikes, then Explode/Swords Dance in most cases is the best this litte guy can do

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thunder Wave/Destiny Bond/Waterfall/Explosion is quite GG. A total mind-game.

Para + DBond is ALWAYS GG.

Sorry, but what's GG? I haven't seen that before.
It means "good game." Often exchanged at the end of a match, or spouted off by some one while it's going. The latter is considered poor etiquette...

In any case...I think it's obvious this thing doesn't have the stats to be anything more than an infrequent cameo in Standard. Naturally, he's cool as well. Mark him down with Farfetch'd as "For the love of God GF, EVOLVE ME!"

Q-Fish makes a cameo in Standard play because of his unstoppable coolness, I use this set to fairly nice avail:

The Q @ Salac Berry
Swords Dance
Endure
Flail
Destiny Bond

Sweep the team, Destiny Bond any ghosts and/or the last poke sent out just as a cooler way of killing him. its not really that great but Quil is just such a gangsta that its hard not to use him.

Serebii says it can learn TM64, Explosion.
Seems like a new edition. Previously Q-fish could only get Self Destruct.

The Q @ Salac Berry
Swords Dance
Endure
Flail
Destiny Bond
For the most part I think Waterfall/Aqua Tail over Flail is better so you can attack at any point rather than making yourself blatantly obvious by enduring.

On a sidenote Qwilfish is probably one of the best Spikers in the game when used in conjunction with a leech seeder due to typing.

I'm a big fan of the Icy Wind/Destiny Bond combo.

None of that pesky 25% paralysis chance, and people don't quite switch out of Icy Wind the way they do with Thunder Wave.

Qwilfish @ Choice Band

Aqua Tail
Explosion
Poison Jab
Destiny Bond

I used Sludge Bomb/HP Fly/Selfdestruct/Shadow Ball in ADV, and it killed on Drizzle teams. Yes HP Fly was useful. So this will be for my Drizzle team. Yay Qwilfish for learning Explosion. Boo GF for not evolving Qwilfish/Banette/Farfetch'd/Mawile.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Note that, according to Serebii, for some reason Qwilfish can only get Swords Dance from the 3rd gen tutor and not from the new TM.

Here's a pretty funny set, lol, dies to sand stream:

@Focus Sash
Destiny Bond
Thunder Wave/Icy Wind
Taunt
Aqua Tail/Explosion

It's pretty easy and as Coob Knight said, Thunder Wave+Destiny Bond is always good game. It's quite simply, you Thunder Wave the first turn, and Destiny Bond the second. Of course, coob knight also posted this exact same set. Except mine has taunt, which supposedly makes it scary. Still, you can probably do better things with it... right? I like that @Salac set, it's definitely quite good. >.>

Oh yeah, as an alternative, you can always Destiny Bond first, then Thunder Wave (force the opponent to not attack and then Thunder Wave him).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)